Can Geno teach the motion offense to KO? | The Boneyard

Can Geno teach the motion offense to KO?

Reaction Score
this argument is such a bummer - i love the uconn wbb team, and this kind of post takes away from what they do. takes away from the men's team, too.

different programs, different games. great win for them tonight.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So the women were behind most of tonight's game for a lot of it by double figures. Maybe a few of you guys can go over to the Women's board and start a fire Geno thread.

Reaction Score
Maybe geno can teach the opposing players to be less athletic and talented while he’s at it.
But that is the point.

We are more talented and skilled compared to Monmouth and Columbia yet our stagnant offense negates that advantage.
My last sentence about "playing like girls" was sarcasm but I feel that Geno's offensive flows and sets would work well with the men.

Disclaimer: I have seen threads about the women beating the men which is nonsense but have not seen this topic discussed lately.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
But that is the point.

We are more talented and skilled compared to Monmouth and Columbia yet our stagnant offense negates that advantage.
My last sentence about "playing like girls" was sarcasm but I feel that Geno's offensive flows and sets would work well with the men.

Disclaimer: I have seen threads about the women beating the men which is nonsense but have not seen this topic discussed lately.
We have a problem, I don’t doubt Geno could give Ollie some pointers, but men’s and women’s basketball is on different planets.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Incompatible with what Ollie is trying to teach.

I love Geno and the women's team, but not many men's programs run that offense AND, more importantly, I don't think that system helps to develop kids for the next level in the men's game. If you want the program to be a player on the national scene, you have to get kids to the next level.

Princeton offense? Maybe JT III? Belien at MI? Just a handful of schools / coaches play that way

PS: Geno also has a huge advantage in recruiting, something the men rarely enjoyed at such levels

Reaction Score
So the women were behind most of tonight's game for a lot of it by double figures. Maybe a few of you guys can go over to the Women's board and start a fire Geno thread.

To the #3 team in the country lol we struggled against Columbia and Stony Brook for god sake. Matter of fact, just about every single team thus far we have struggled.

Reaction Score
The women were a thing of beauty to watch today. I watched the back cuts and pick and rolls
with admiration and envy.

Are our boys capable of playing like this if they were taught?

Or do we not have the athletes to play like girls?

If you’re younger than 65, I’ll eat my shoe.

Reaction Score
Ahhh I miss the days listening to Arnold Dean, listening to seasoned citizens call in saying Rebecca Lobo should replace Travis Knight. Those were the days.

Reaction Score
The back cuts and pick and rolls are definitely usable but not in the way the women run offense. Geno runs a great motion offense much like good High School teams of the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s used. It runs all game long. Today’s men’s game relies on penetration and creativity off the dribble.

Our guys lack understanding that you still need to set screens, remain in motion on the wings, and cut to the basket looking for the ball. It is basically a way of using a motion offense loosely by teaching your players “how to play basketball”. They need the fundamental understanding of how to find and create scoring opportunities for themselves and teammates.

Standing around on the perimeter is killing us but poor shooting amplifies it. Have you ever seen so many ugly jumpers on one team? Our lack of shooting makes bad offense far worse. We really need to be recruiting more complete players. We should also be completely renovating the form of several of our players with a shooting coach in the summer. Keep in mind, KO and Ricky had two of the ugliest jumpers in UConn history. Shooting isn’t their wheel house.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To the #3 team in the country lol we struggled against Columbia and Stony Brook for god sake. Matter of fact, just about every single team thus far we have struggled.
Against the #3 team that had three players go down with ACLs. Imagine if they had been full strength? The team had huge scoring droughts and couldn't stop ND. Really, with a team full of All Americans and two # 1 high school player in the country that game should not have been in doubt until the final moments.

I think we should be looking at top mid majors coaches to see who ready for the jump. He's just not the same guy anymore.

Reaction Score
Please go away, you and filet of sole need to go back to that board, these threads are beyond annoying and only prove neither of you understand basketball.
Nah I have been here for many years watching college basketball. I know
and see when an offense is not working. I am not in the minority on this with fellow Husky fans.

You keep the blinders on.

Reaction Score
The women were a thing of beauty to watch today. I watched the back cuts and pick and rolls

Well it's common knowledge that the "Princeton" style offense is wildly successful and effective in the mens game. That's why teams like Princeton, Air Force, Oregon St, and whomever Bill Carmody is coaching are such yearly championship contenders.

Reaction Score
Nah I have been here for many years watching college basketball. I know
and see when an offense is not working. I am not in the minority on this with fellow Husky fans.

You keep the blinders on.

No blinders her smart guy and no ridiculous comparisons either. Please stop comparing an offense that is run against other teams who couldn't guard you or me if we ran that offense. Don't tell me about the "ranked" teams they are playing either because they aren't very good. This is not apples to apples so get it through your thick skull. Geno is a great great coach and runs a tremendous offense against less athletic teams than his, and most of the time they look tremendous doing so. And he's lucky other coaches haven't caught up to him although without 3 of their best players playing we did see ND give them fits.

Let's leave it on the women board please.

Reaction Score
Well it's common knowledge that the "Princeton" style offense is wildly successful and effective in the mens game. That's why teams like Princeton, Air Force, Oregon St, and whomever Bill Carmody is coaching are such yearly championship contenders.
The "Princeton" offense is an overkill. The women are not running that offense either.

Setting solid screens, pick and rolls and reversing the ball would be a good start for this team.

Reaction Score
The "Princeton" offense is an overkill. The women are not running that offense either.

Setting solid screens, pick and rolls and reversing the ball would be a good start for this team.

#1 the offense is so similar to the Princeton offense in its concept boog is correct. They did very well with it when they had good players who were worthy, but not so much lately. It takes players who can think, pass and shoot and it helps to be a lot better than your opponent when you walk on the floor.

And having the 5 best players from either team on the floor at all times would also be a great place to start for the mens team. Please stop Professor Motion.

Reaction Score

Don't disagree with that... We need to run better stuff with more ball movement and less pounding of the ball. We need to screen more effectively and with fervor; not the "olay" variety that many of our guys do.

But at the same time, I think what some people fail to understand is that the women's game or style, while fundamentally better, can be hindered by athleticism. Meaning the style that they play is not just a simple translation. You can run the most perfect stuff in the universe with screen/roll etc. but if you have someone with great athleticism they can recover and stifle the back cut or great screen/roll. When we've had guys like Emeka or Hasheem back there you could erase any defensive mistake. Emeka especially could recover with such incredible instincts that it did not really matter how solid your screens were or how well you moved the ball. Watch the tourney game against Alabama in 04. Emeka completely took away the paint despite the fact that they were beating us off the dribble and getting post-up opps. 'Bama actually played well in the 1st half offensively; at least stylistically, and we were up almost 20.

In the women's game, that's not as prevalent. Then you factor in that not only do we play the best style and have the best coach, but we also usually have the best athletes AND most skilled players on the court as well. That equates to utter domination. That is not to take anything away from them. But it is a completely different game.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Don’t say beauty

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom