Cam Johnson officially released from Pitt | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Cam Johnson officially released from Pitt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I dont want to harp on that one thing when i agree with the rest of what you said. But when UConn is on national TV against a national brand(not tulsa) fans show out. Think syracuse this yr at the garden. Recruits see that before they see a wed evening game against tulane. Our fan base actually has a good perception
You just described a fair weather fanbase.

I'm gonna make an unfair comparison to the early years of Calhoun's tenure to today. In 1988 when i first started regularly attending Civic Center games, there were only a handful of games that didn't sell out, and the atmosphere was electric. Those teams lost a lot of games too, but it didn't seem to matter. After going to a game, it was hard not to be a fan. Now I take my son to games, and he gives me puzzled looks... like "Why daddy? Nobody seems to care?"

The fans have ridiculous expectations now, and if the blueblood level expectations aren't met, they drift off and do other things... like watch the women or the Patriots. Fair weather.

Reaction Score

I'm gonna make an unfair comparison to the early years of Calhoun's tenure to today. In 1988 when i first started regularly attending Civic Center games, there were only a handful of games that didn't sell out, and the atmosphere was electric. Those teams lost a lot of games too, but it didn't seem to matter. After going to a game, it was hard not to be a fan. Now I take my son to games, and he gives me puzzled looks... like "Why daddy? Nobody seems to care?"

The fans have ridiculous expectations now, and if the blueblood level expectations aren't met, they drift off and do other things... like watch the women or the Patriots. Fair weather.
I didnt say they werent fair weather. I said it has no effect on recruits. I agree our fan base has a lot of front-runners

Reaction Score
Shaka Smart wanted the UConn job.

He turned down Illinois anticipating having a shot at UConn.

Calhoun wasn't stupid - he knew Ollie wasn't going to get the job in an open search.

Illinois?

I know the Illini think they are elite; and certainly at this point - they can/will pay more than UConn; but I don't think I would be indifferent to a Texas level versus a slew of others. What we are finding out in this continuing dialogue is that some of you just wanted to go grab the flavor of the year coach and hope he loves being in the AAC. As we see with the other Programs in our conference - and thus comparable in conversation - you get the grizzled cast-off (who actually can coach) in Kelvin Sampson or Tubby Smith or Brian Gregory or Frank Haith or Johnny Dawkins.

I think what we are discovering in this dialogue is a "check the mirror" moment for the Boneyard. Too many are ready to tcan Ollie and go for the next flavor. the questions: (1.) "Are you happy with the last 3 years?" (2.) "Ollie won the NC with Calhoun's recruits in 2014 ... he isn't that good an evaluator or developer of talent" (3.) He ain't getting better.

Kevin Ollie - beyond the NC and the divorce - has to be given a chance to re-boot. He took on the Hobbs/Miller/Blaney/Freeman-Ricky stuff. This is an ugly year ... but I still don't think many of you give any credence to how good Terry Larrier or Alterique Gilbert could be (or even Mamadou Diarra). And then ding him bigtime for first the Seniors development (and I believe we got as much from those 3 as we were going to get ... only Facey is one I see as having improvement still in his scheme) and then the angst of who-knows-what on the Vance Jackson - Steven Enoch - Jarrett Durham swirl.

I think we all should agree on one point: This is a crucial few months for Kevin Ollie. What are we going to see in October?

Reaction Score

Exactly!

Reaction Score
I think we have issues if we think 24-8 is mediocre. I mean I get we used to have some crazy years in the BE under JC but I can't imagine most people being upset with a 24-8 season. Obvioulsy 27-4 is great but then again we didn't play enough games with either result. 20-10 is also ok if the season is that of a upward trend full of momentum and then you win 2-3 in the league tourney then a run int e NCAA and finish 25-11. We can't be all that greedy trying to get back up there, even though we're in the AAC. It's more about how the needle is pointing.
I expected us to be like Memphis under Calipari or Gonzaga once we were punished to this conference, tournament every year with some very high seeds. Fact is it's been a huge struggle. Never expected Cincinnati and SMU to leapfrog us, with UConn left a middling team in a weak conference.

Reaction Score
26-8 in 2014 earned us a #7 seed.

Going back to 1990, we've earned a better seed than that 15 times in 27 seasons.

Yes, a #7 seed is mediocre by this program's standards.

First off, we were under-seeded as a seven in 2014. We should have been closer to a five.

Second, we have to account for some type of drop-off when one of the best coaches of all-time retires. It's not exactly easy to sustain a run as a perennially dominant program, especially when we play in a much weaker conference.

I don't think anybody is defending their performance this past season, but I do think it was the first season Ollie had that was indefensible. 2015 had to have been expected to some degree after all we lost the prior year - even Calhoun struggled with two of his three post-title teams, and he wasn't playing Samuel, Cassell, Nolan, and a broken Omar Calhoun. 2016 they under-achieved most of our expectations, but they still won the conference tournament, finished 26th on KenPom, and turned in a representative performance on the big stage. This past season was the first time the wheels came off the bus, and that has to be considered when discussing his job security. This hasn't become a chronic problem to the point that hope has been squeezed from the program.

If you're going to set your sites on Sean Miller, Chris Mack, or Greg Marshall, fine. Those are proven coaches who would seem to have a better chance at this point in time at returning us to where we were under Calhoun. But it's highly doubtful those types are coming here, so you have to ask yourself whether you're willing to hire a guy like Danny Hurley, somebody who has exactly 1/7 as many tournament wins as Ollie and would be far more of a threat to leave for another program down the line. My answer would be a resounding no.

pj

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie proved he can coach at national championship caliber in 2012-2014. Aggravated by the lingering effects of recruiting sanctions, conference realignment, and a demoralizing divorce, he proved he can make rookie-head-coach mistakes in 2015-2017. Now he's proven he can fire staff (Travis, Glen) inherited from his predecessor, bring in his own assistants (Killings, Chillious), and is willing to let the roster drop to half-size rather than kow-tow to selfish players -- perhaps a first sign that he's acquiring Calhoun-style toughness and imposing his will on the program. It all comes down to this: Can he learn from his failings, keep his many excellencies, build the staff that complements and completes him, and become a top-notch coach?

I say he will. Let's see what 2017-2019 bring. But I think we'll look back at this as the growing pains of a great coach.

And I take KO over Shaka every day of the week.

Reaction Score
Here are all of the programs who had at minimum 27 wins and no more than 4 losses in a) the P5 and b) all four top mid-major leagues (A10, AAC, Big East, MWC) this past season:

Villanova (31-3), SMU (30-4), Arizona (30-4), Kansas (28-4), UCLA (29-4)

Seems like this isn't just a UConn problem.

There's a pretty big delta between 4 loss and 17 losses.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There's a pretty big delta between 4 loss and 17 losses.

Nowhere did I say 17 is acceptable. Just pointing out that given the direction the game as a whole seems to be moving in, 4 losses isn't as feasible as it may have been 10-15 years ago.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
26-8 in 2014 earned us a #7 seed.

Going back to 1990, we've earned a better seed than that 15 times in 27 seasons.

Yes, a #7 seed is mediocre by this program's standards.

We are automatically going to take the AAC knock. Probably good for 2-3 seed drop every year.

Also, that 26-8 will be a little more common, given the necessity of the front loaded unbalanced schedule.

Basically what you are saying is they need to go undefeated in the AAC, one loss at the outside. Despite the conference, that's still tough to do.

Reaction Score
We are automatically going to take the AAC knock. Probably good for 2-3 seed drop every year.

Also, that 26-8 will be a little more common, given the necessity of the front loaded unbalanced schedule.

Basically what you are saying is they need to go undefeated in the AAC, one loss at the outside. Despite the conference, that's still tough to do.

An average regular season should be something like:

28-5 (15-3 AAC), #3-4 seed

If Gonzaga doesn't suffer from their conference, there's no reason we should.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
These are people who do not remember, say, 1996 very well.

OR 1990
OR 1994
OR 1998
OR 2006

But, whatever; first world problems.

Thankfully Jim Calhoun left Boston and gave us the opportunity to debate the merits of KO. Hell, thanks to JC, there exists a Boneyard where old 40+ guys can debate/educate the lil uzi disciples.

Reaction Score
OR 1990
OR 1994
OR 1998
OR 2006

But, whatever; first world problems.

Thankfully Jim Calhoun left Boston and gave us the opportunity to debate the merits of KO. Hell, thanks to JC, there exists a Boneyard where old 40+ guys can debate/educate the lil uzi disciples.

Good call, an old clunker like me would never have known anything about Lil' Uzi without JC and of course KO who is recruiting Cam Johnson :eek:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I didnt say they werent fair weather. I said it has no effect on recruits. I agree our fan base has a lot of front-runners

Gonna disagree with that. When you bring a recruit in to watch a game, you want/need a packed house. Recruits want the energy, excitement and bright lights of playing in front of a big crowd and national TV audience. Nobody wants to play in front of crickets. I've zero doubt that one of Rutgers' (for example) biggest problems is recruiting to that sh_ty gym in front of those sh_ty fans.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score

There is one thing I see a bunch of you throw around on here like it is a given - our "strong" attendance and loyal fan base back in the mid to late 1980's - Coach Calhoun's first several years. It is an absolute fallacy that most of the games were sold out and there was strong fan support at that time.

I grew up in Connecticut and started my freshman year in Calhoun's first year (1986-1987). The fan support sucked. I went to a few games in high school at the Hartford Civic Center, including a Georgetown game after my high school played a game there. Patrick Ewing's hey day. The place was dead. Maybe 1/2 to 2/3 filled, and hardly any enthusiasm. I also remember listening to a home game against St. John's late in my sophomore year (a game we won) where the announcers said the place was barely 1/2 full. The fact is that attendance and the rabidness of our fan base did not really take off until the Dream Season.

Did we sell out Syracuse games, and a few others? Yes. Were the fans great at those games? Yes. But for any of you to say we had a rabid and loyal fan base from the early 80's to the Dream Season at every game is total B.S.

Out of Conference games and games versus teams like Boston College, Seton Hall and even St. John's were not sell outs. I know, because I was there. The fans back then used to complain about the Hartford Civic Center, also :). And there was no Gampel Pavilion yet.

Sorry Mr. Wonderful, but your comparison is only "unfair" because it is not true. The truth is that only a handful of games actually sold out during that time. The majority did not.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

Some good points here about loyalty but take a look at the ticket prices then and now. With all due respect
our performances have rarely been Uconn standard the past two years. You can't blame that on the fans. Especially the lack of hustle and toughness that was so characteristic of this University. I think everybody recognizes this and there is a determination to change things in a hurry. Do the fans really help? Yes they do.
But motivation has to come from within and practice. At those prices the fans have been more than patient waiting for much of the team to get their collective heads out of their ..............

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just to get this thread back on track:

Michigan getting in the mix for Pitt grad transfer Cam Johnson

Kentucky Basketball: Calipari pursuing Pittsburgh transfer Cam Johnson

Haven't seen mention of any impending visit to UConn.

I think Michigan and UK are the clubhouse leaders at this point and the family connections to Squid represent a edge to UK. I'd also give TCU an outside shot due to Dixon and their NIT championship.

With the optics of all the defections looking bad for UConn and UK/UM well positioned for deep NCAA runs, I hate to say it, but I don't think KO has a chance of landing Cam. Hope I'm wrong.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If UK is on him, and Cal even has some connections, it's a done deal if they want him.

Reaction Score
We talk about the AAC being a crappy basketball conference. So why haven't we dominated it?

If you were looking for a serious answer, it is simply because we haven't had good enough teams to do it. This league isn't anything special, we would just be a middling, maybe even bad, team in any league right now.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How many shooting guards does Kentucky possibly need? It would be a bad decision for him to choose Kentucky. Michigan on the other hand would be a great fit for him :/

As many as they can fit. Keeps them away from everyone else.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We talk about the AAC being a crappy basketball conference. So why haven't we dominated it?

As far as recruiting goes, that doesn't even necessarily matter. It's being able to tell kids, "we are a P5 school. We play Duke and UNC twice a season. ESPN flagship TV viewing. You want to play with the best, come here."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom