Calipari on with Mike today FAN…... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Calipari on with Mike today FAN…...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Solid point…….."who's kids will be very rich but not all that much better than when they got here.." more often than not. He was quick to point out in his interview he's already put 20 kids in the NBA at UK. He didn't happen to mention that if the NBA hand't put an age minimum on them 15 or so would have never seen a campus at all. And thinking about how many Top 10, McD AA's he's had and only TWO are trying out for the USA team? When you actually dig into his years there it's much less impressive than first view!!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

This is a good point. You see a lot of guys holding out on their recruitment until they get sniffs from the big boys, especially UK. They want to get their names in the national conversation, because marketing yourself (brand) is an important piece of the draft process. They don't even have to go to UK to benefit from this.

Reaction Score
Celebrations when you win, built in excuse when you fail.

Cal can't lose.

It isn't just him either. I was discussing this with a friend of mine who is a Kentucky fan and his position is "well, you need to understand something. We were an NIT team before Cal came here and built it up."

I still don't know how to reply.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It's also worth noting that quite a few of Kentucky's big-name recruits would have declared straight out of high school if it were still allowed.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It isn't just him either. I was discussing this with a friend of mine who is a Kentucky fan and his position is "well, you need to understand something. We were an NIT team before Cal came here and built it up."

I still don't know how to reply.

There's no injecting reason into a conversation with a Kentucky fan.

Reaction Score
I don't think UK fans particularly care for all the one and dones.
They like to adopt a player as a favorite and constant change gets old.
They like most other fans of successful programs are easily seduced by winning.
AZ first law of coaching integrity applies here.
"The fans acceptance of a coach's lack of integrity is directly proportional to his winning percentage"
UK fans more than most ,because winning in BB is such an expected thing, especially since their only other sports success is cheerleading.
I think the NCAA last year ensured Calipari's job. Absent the run they were a second place team in a weak SEC,behind Fla. Coming on the heels of an NIT embarrassment..
A first round loss in the NCAA and the natives would have been calling for his scalp.. John being who he is would have signed a NBA contract the day after the loss.Say what you want about him but like any good con man ,he knows when it's time to get out of Dodge.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
A first round loss in the NCAA and the natives would have been calling for his scalp.. John being who he is would have signed a NBA contract the day after the loss.Say what you want about him but like any good con man ,he knows when it's time to get out of Dodge.

I didn't imagine it was possible for anyone to do this, but you're actually persuading me that the NCAA tourney didn't go as well for us as it should have.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I didn't imagine it was possible for anyone to do this, but you're actually persuading me that the NCAA tourney didn't go as well for us as it should have.

You kidding me? We own Kentucky when it counts. Give me Cal in the NCAA tournament all day every day. That's a UCONN win every time.

Reaction Score
He def went home that night and couldnt stop thinking about it... While Mike was home sleeping like a baby...

I'm sure mike had a buffet style dinner that helped him sleep like a baby. Good for Mike though for once though. However, between him and squid the air in the room must have been at critical levels with those two massive egos in one studio.

pj

Reaction Score
You kidding me? We own Kentucky when it counts. Give me Cal in the NCAA tournament all day every day. That's a UCONN win every time.

Heh. Maybe that's the thing to root for, but I'm thinking we would win with or without Cal, and it would be a bonus to see him fail his way out of college ball.

Reaction Score
If Kentucky won it was like "look at me I won with five freshmen starting"\
If Kentucky lost it was like "well, they're all freshmen"
He wants it both ways.
I actually think he's way to smart to take credit for his successes. He knows that to recruit the best kids you have to stroke their egos. When they did win the title, he said very little about himself--everything was on the players. When they lose, he at first blames himself.

Now, all that seems honorable, in it's own way. It's what you want a coach to say. But what he says versus what he does are two different things. It's no surprise that the PG of the team that went to the NIT transferred...despite not having any transfer time left. Lots of players "take off." And what makes him so insufferable to me is that he really knows how to play the game, and plays it well.

Reaction Score
How is it possible to have a 45 minute conversation and say absolutely nothing that's genuine? At least with KO you know he means what he says.

Reaction Score
Listening to the interview for the first time...this guy is a tool. I actually like him some of the time, but he's a tool. The guy has so many excuses and is seemingly incapable of giving credit where credit is due. UConn beat his team, and beat them pretty handily, honestly. We led wire to wire. But the only thing he can admit is that "the guards bothered us" (doesn't mention their names), and even then, they only "bothered" them because his players made mistakes because they were too inexperienced. It's very lame.

The better team won, and it wasn't even as close as the final score.

Reaction Score
Listening to the interview for the first time...this guy is a tool. I actually like him some of the time, but he's a tool. The guy has so many excuses and is seemingly incapable of giving credit where credit is due. UConn beat his team, and beat them pretty handily, honestly. We led wire to wire. But the only thing he can admit is that "the guards bothered us" (doesn't mention their names), and even then, they only "bothered" them because his players made mistakes because they were too inexperienced. It's very lame.

i agree his x&o's were, "just let them go out there and play. crash the glass because i have superior athletes up front". He even noted he couldn't teach them anything 'complex' because they were frosh, haha. I dont get how he couldn't teach them pick n roll defense though, remember he switched to a zone out of desperation and barkley gave him unearned praise.

All that said his team is beyond loaded this year, his personnel should carry him far.

Reaction Score
At one point FoxSports flashed a headline "Only coach to take three different teams to the Final 4". I checked the record books and only found Kentucky?? :D

Reaction Score
I thought Izzo came off worse in the days following the elite 8 game. This all brings a smile to my face. It must really burn Cal that we took away two more rings from him. This time with essentially one 5 star recruit.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Never, NEVER compare Calhoun to the Squid again. Now turn in your Boneyard card and leave.

now that's what I'm talkin about, can two men be more different?

can the narratives sold about each man be more inaccurate?

one guy is the maker of men who hates hype and despises the media and thus gets dissed

the other guy is all BS all the time, a man who's programs have skirted the rules on a regular basis yet he's supposedly innocent, a man of 1,001 excuses, a man who schmoozes the media and gets repaid with love

an NBA rule made Squid a good coach. Where is he without one and done? How many Kevin Ollie's has he mentored? or RIP's or Ray Ray's or Kemba's or Meka's or Caron's or.............

in typical Squid fashion, he takes credit for putting one and done players in the NBA. He takes credit for putting kids in the NBA that were going to the NBA before he ever walked through their doors.

Squid's second calling could be politics, he's got that gene to succeed in such, and that's not a compliment coming from me

willie99

Reaction Score

he knows the truth, he's just talking to UK fans so they can celebrate their 3rd title in 4 years

BY_E4e0CcAAi-Kd.jpg

those people believed this, I laughed

willie99

Reaction Score
can anyone put one of those 40-0 t-shirts on these kids?

46618369.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin