California state university system cancels fall classes on campus | Page 6 | The Boneyard

California state university system cancels fall classes on campus

Reaction Score
I agree on the let’s see. Or if June will actually tell us. There is no expert on this virus, only people expert on past contagions. They are all making best guesses.
Agree

Reaction Score
Just saw my first Covidiot fight!!!
Lol. Imagine the outdoor bars this summer when u have dummies acting like idiots Fake coughing and touching people after a few drinks and then combining them with the hyper vigilant people - gonna be a powder keg. I already see it a bit at grocery stores. Wait till the summer bar Scene hits

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Ok, testing is not the solution. In order for testing to be the solution, you’d have to test every citizen in the country on a regular basis which is not even close to possible. Any data helps, but more testing won’t do much to slow the spread. Millions of people will still be walking around with the virus while being asymptomatic.
You need testing and a decent system to monitor contacts. Body temperature machine scanners at points of entry would be important. We also should have adequate numbers of ventilators and PPE. This is not rocket science because we have a successful model in South Korea. They were one of the first countries if not the first country outside of China to get cases. They had no advance warning other than China. There was no Italy or NYC when they went into lockdown. But they were and are prepared for this pandemic. Just emulate what they did and are doing.

You can't test everyone in a country every day. I never stated that. What you do is is test a percentage of people and if they test positive you trace who they came in contact with and isolate them if they don't have antibodies. Same with any individual who becomes symptomatic or has a fever. Infected people will still move through society but not at a rate that causes an overwhelming of the medical system. The average person will feel relatively safe and the economy can resume with some modifications to the work environment.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Lol. Imagine the outdoor bars this summer when u have dummies acting like idiots Fake coughing and touching people after a few drinks and then combining them with the hyper vigilant people - gonna be a powder keg. I already see it a bit at grocery stores. Wait till the summer bar Scene hits
Some people really are freakin Idiotic. What don’t people understand about what happened in New Rochelle? One guy basically created a local epidemic. And that was not a nursing home, meat packing plant or anything like it. This thing is as contagious as anything, seems to have different impacts on different age groups and has a hard to ignore mortality rate, even if skewed by older people (like me). Everyone wants to let loose, get back to “normal”
, which might not be the normal that we were used to, but being stupid about it is, well, stupid.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You need testing and a decent system to monitor contacts. Body temperature machine scanners at points of entry would be important. We also should have adequate numbers of ventilators and PPE. This is not rocket science because we have a successful model in South Korea. They were one of the first countries if not the first country outside of China to get cases. They had no advance warning other than China. There was no Italy or NYC when they went into lockdown. But they were and are prepared for this pandemic. Just emulate what they did and are doing.

You can't test everyone in a country every day. I never stated that. What you do is is test a percentage of people and if they test positive you trace who they came in contact with and isolate them if they don't have antibodies. Same with any individual who becomes symptomatic or has a fever. Infected people will still move through society but not at a rate that causes an overwhelming of the medical system. The average person will feel relatively safe and the economy can resume with some modifications to the work environment.

Body temperature scanners are questionable at best because a very large portion of people with the virus will not show symptoms. We do have testing. I know it's not consistent, but every person I've known that wanted a test after being exposed to someone with the virus has been able to get a test. As of today, we have more ventilators available than there are people that need them. Anyone saying the medical system is overwhelmed is full of it. Hospitals are going under and nurses/doctors are getting laid off due to lack of incoming patients.

As far as testing a percentage of people, who's to say who gets tested and who doesn't? If not every person can get tested, which they can't, there will always be people carrying and spreading the virus without knowing. Now I'm not saying testing is useless, it's not at all useless. But it is also far from the solution unless we administer mass testing for everyone who steps out in public. If everyone was able to get a test every time they left the house, the virus would be defeated in no time. But the reality is that that's not even remotely a possibility.

Reaction Score
Who’s saying fall thru at last minute? I’m just saying why not wait till mid June? There’s a big difference between jumping the gun and last minute. And let’s be real these professors are already prepared for online learning as it is -you have to admit May 15 is a bit ridiculous
I am not judging anything as ridiculous considering what is at stake. Are you asking if I think (admit?) that making a decision 30 days later (May 15 to mid-June) will go from ridiculous to “acceptable” or at least less ridiculous? I do not have an answer to that?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I agree on the let’s see. Or if June will actually tell us. There is no expert on this virus, only people expert on past contagions. They are all making best guesses.
Sweden is an interesting situation. Do you have any information as to their testing numbers?

They never had any official stay in place mandates like their Scandanavian counterparts (Norway and Finland).

They were absolutely correct in protecting the most vulnerable but they still had dramatic number of deaths compared to Norway and Finland. Still those numbers could be an acceptable compromise versus the devastation to the economy.

The big question is how many Swedes self isolated. We saw pictures of people going to restaurants but what percentage of the Swedish population did that? What percentage of the population went to non essential work? Did Sweden protect people who were uncomfortable with going to work or did they mandate people go to work?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Body temperature scanners are questionable at best because a very large portion of people with the virus will not show symptoms. We do have testing. I know it's not consistent, but every person I've known that wanted a test after being exposed to someone with the virus has been able to get a test. As of today, we have more ventilators available than there are people that need them. Anyone saying the medical system is overwhelmed is full of it. Hospitals are going under and nurses/doctors are getting laid off due to lack of incoming patients.

As far as testing a percentage of people, who's to say who gets tested and who doesn't? If not every person can get tested, which they can't, there will always be people carrying and spreading the virus without knowing. Now I'm not saying testing is useless, it's not at all useless. But it is also far from the solution unless we administer mass testing for everyone who steps out in public. If everyone was able to get a test every time they left the house, the virus would be defeated in no time. But the reality is that that's not even remotely a possibility.
So what's South Korea doing that is working?

Reaction Score
I don't know what they were fighting about. It was outside a Walgreens by the entrance. Old white guy in a surgical mask trying to swing on a young Hispanic guy in a mask. Young guy had to get him in a bear hug yelling at him to stop freaking out, old dude wouldn't stop flailing and got his jacket ripped off and then old dude spastically ran down the street. It was strange, I'm guessing he has mental problems.

Reaction Score
So what's South Korea doing that is working?

I'm not going to act knowledgeable on something I don't know, so I'll just say I don't know. They do have a population about 1/7 of the United States and they are far more centralized, so I'm sure that helps.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Sweden is an interesting situation. Do you have any information as to their testing numbers?

They never had any official stay in place mandates like their Scandanavian counterparts (Norway and Finland).

They were absolutely correct in protecting the most vulnerable but they still had dramatic number of deaths compared to Norway and Finland. Still those numbers could be an acceptable compromise versus the devastation to the economy.

The big question is how many Swedes self isolated. We saw pictures of people going to restaurants but what percentage of the Swedish population did that? What percentage of the population went to non essential work? Did Sweden protect people who were uncomfortable with going to work or did they mandate people go to work?
I don’t have their testing info. The trouble with acceptable compromises is they they are acceptable usually to people not directly impacted by the illness. I don’t think Sweden mandated work, not sure, but they did expect social distancing and apparently they don’t have a population full of people who melt because they are asked to sacrifice a teeny bit of personal freedom. They also have 10 million total people. We have several urban metro areas with many more than that, a big minority population that seems to be prone to more serious consequences. They are betting on herd immunity. We’ll see if that happens there or here.

Reaction Score
Eh. I don’t buy that. An extra month- wouldn’t matter that much - but cancelling classes this soon has a whole wide reverberating range of effects. Much more than starting workouts a few weeks late. Cmon now I’m just saying wait another month. What u have to lose? Plus there’s always the option of pushing up the beginning of a college football season a few weeks to mid September to make up for the lost workouts. The repercussions of cancelling this early far outweighs those of a few extra workout weeks.

The NBA and MLB have both stated they need a month of warm up activities to prevent injuries and get back in shape, and that isn't football. Besides for at least a month now, people have been speculating about having fall sports start after the new year.

Reaction Score
I am not judging anything as ridiculous considering what is at stake. Are you asking if I think (admit?) that making a decision 30 days later (May 15 to mid-June) will go from ridiculous to “acceptable” or at least less ridiculous? I do not have an answer to that?
I’ll remove the word “ridiculous”. A lot can change in a month. Look how much has changed in the past 2 months. Let’s say may 11th is early for cancelling fall when we barely finished the spring semester and still have all summer. Fair enough? And then couple that with my previous point about how Gavin Newsome just a couple weeks ago was saying public schools could possibly open in July - then 10 days later All of a sudden fall classes are canceled when June is still 3 weeks away? I don’t buy the online learning preparedness for professors thing either - I’m a teacher and it doesn’t take me four months to get my curriculum ready. Cmon. Either way it doesn’t matter what I think but the repercussions of calling fall semester this early will not be good for mind body or sprit.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My friend getting married in Vermont on July 4th still assumes he and his fiancée are having the wedding of his dreams and there will be no restrictions and everything is hunky dory. Poor guy isn’t having that wedding.

Reaction Score
The head of the CDC should be fired...He was responsible for testing and they submitted a non functioning test. Once we got the private sector involved, testing has appeared. I can go online and schedule a test with quest labs..$119...so can you. Or I can go and wait in my car 10 min from my house for a free test. I can also go online and get a serology test...so can you.

??

The head of the CDC is a science denying buffoon.

It's funny that they've had testing the world over but we had to get the private sector involved.

Reaction Score

You guys are putting this as an either/or question. Die or devastate the economy. But Denmark has a very low number of deaths and they did not devastate their economy. They guaranteed all private salaries for 3 months.

There are solutions out there.

Reaction Score
Precisely. Or heck, we could have dealt with the economics aspect much better by taking Fed. Gov. Bullards' advice to fund all private salaries for a period. That would have ended the economic devastation. There are solutions and answers. We are just incapable of applying them.

how did you reach this conclusion (In bold)? I cannot for the life of me understand how his solution brings about the conclusion that you have reached.

Reaction Score
Back to the original topic:

1. U. Cal. is not adopting the Cal. State model. At least not yet.
2. Cal-State is joining U. Cal. and being subsumed into the U. Cal. system as feeder schools.
3. Going online could very well be part of that.
4. Most schools are planning some kind of opening. Whether that means trimesters, or beginning in October, still remains to be seen.
5. The politicians will have the final say.
6. The NCAA -- if it ever had a reputation -- is quickly about to lose it. The NCAA is recommending that athletes return to campus even IF there are no live classes. This is sure to be the death knell of the NCAA if that comes to pass.
7. On 3 big state U. campuses, athletics are not part of any crisis planning. I have heard of Presidents making impassioned defenses of athletics in the face of this huge budget slaughter. The SUNY centers are looking at a combined $300 million cut. This is effectively 1/4 of the fungible operating budgets.

I'd say expect students to be in session at some point during the fall, but... I can go on and on about the pitfalls and tradeoffs. A former student of mine, who is now the Provost of a top 50 liberal arts school in the midwest, described his life right now as reaching out for any piece of driftwood that floats by.

If you like bad and absurd, you're going to like the fall semester.

Reaction Score
how did you reach this conclusion (In bold)? I cannot for the life of me understand how his solution brings about the conclusion that you have reached.

The chain of payments is kept in tact in Denmark. Everyone can buy food, everyone can pay the rent, landlords can collect rent, banks can collect on loans, no one loses their job, companies meet payrolls despite shortfalls in sales.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom