C. Collier De-commitment | Page 9 | The Boneyard

C. Collier De-commitment

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I hope she gets rickets and bunions and maybe even scurvy.

Fishy, that's tacky!!! However I must give you a nod for having the stones to put in print what many of us were really thinking when we (bit our lip, and took the high road) bid her good luck, and wished her well as she turned her back on UConn and her verbal for what she perceived to be greener pastures. Her timing could not have been worse.

I understand the idea that she may have had a change of heart, and wanted to remain close to home. I also understand (and subscribe to) the thought that "the road to greatness, is a road less traveled". The staff was satisfied that they had their dominant post player for the next 4 years that they could build a team around.

UConn Nation was happy that she committed to go to the great northeast, and play for arguably the best college basketball coach ever. Her potential is abounding. She would have flourished under Geno. An All-American at the very least. She may become as dominant as A'ja Wilson will be this year.

UConn Nation was really counting on her to contribute to 2-3 national championships during her stay. It's been four days now, but I'm still depressed. I'm a firm believer that when one door (in this case) slams shut, another one opens.............smh. She was perceived as one of the crown jewels of class 2018. Until another post player with similar size and potential commits, I'll be concerned.

The cynic in me believes that even though/after she committed to UConn, Texas never stopped recruiting her, regardless that her family has denied any and all such claims/suggestion.

Five posters gave you a like for your comment, I might as well make it six. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Don't know quite where to put this one -- here or recruiting. I'll start here because there certainly seems to be a cause-and-effect stemming from the original reason for the thread, particularly when numbers come into play (like number of kids on a roster). Shae Routt -- the wing, per Raoul, just de-committed from Texas. If you follow the comments on the attached Raoul link, that would seem to open up a slot for one more at Texas.
I'll also drop this in the 19/20 thread which seems to be the de-facto rest-of-18 thread as well.

Raoul‏ @Raoul_000
WBB: Shae Routt, 6-0 W, Kempner HS (TX-2018), has decommitted from Texas (per @_Icebasketball); Longhorns back to four 2018 commits.

8:22 PM - 26 Sep 2017

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No. The decommitment puts Texas at 15 for next year. To take C Wiiliams, a current player has to leave early or another commitment has to go by the wayside. I am uneasy. Some other fans are also though most are hesitant to say so directly.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No. The decommitment puts Texas at 15 for next year. To take C Wiiliams, a current player has to leave early or another commitment has to go by the wayside. I am uneasy. Some other fans are also though most are hesitant to say so directly.
Uneasy about what?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To be blunt, where will the scholarship come from and by whose choice. Of course I do not know what is said between players, recruits, and coaches. Texas has 2 players who are redshirt juniors. Maybe I just need to follow recruiting news less.
It doesn't make it right but this happens all the time. Keep in mind that athletic scholarships are just a small fraction of the scholarship dollars available to these universities. Where there is a will there is a way to keep deserving students and their parents from ever seeing a tuition bill.

Reactions: PWS
Reaction Score
Yes I believe that is her name, Mulkey who went to OU now at Rice, was pretty much the same way, a project, only 2018 6’9 post Aquino looks to be the real deal.

if by real deal you mean a respectable DI center probably so, if you mean All American level, I really doubt it.......if my daughter could drive down the lane past her with ease as she did several times in a game against her, then I have to question her impact at the next level........that said Dillon77 saw her play later in the year and said she was much improved........time will tell

Reaction Score
if by real deal you mean a respectable DI center probably so, if you mean All American level, I really doubt it..if my daughter could drive down the lane past her with ease as she did several times in a game against her, then I have to question her impact at the next level...that said Dillon77 saw her play later in the year and said she was much improved...time will tell

here is a game of hers from May this year, she moves well and can protect the paint, just took as few to many long distances shoots for me. She comes in at about thes 5:55 mark

Reaction Score
Your just saying pretty much nothing then because all decommits come under some scrutiny. Unless you are like @Carnac and can predict the future how does the events of the last 2 days in MCBB have anything to do with a UCONN WCBB decommits.
Since when does a Boneyard source ( of course un named” talking to the family who all claimed there was no poaching come anywhere close to the truth constitute anything close to the truth? What exactly do you think they would say?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Since when does a Boneyard source ( of course un named” talking to the family who all claimed there was no poaching come anywhere close to the truth constitute anything close to the truth? What exactly do you think they would say?
tenor.gif

Reaction Score

here is a game of hers from May this year, she moves well and can protect the paint, just took as few to many long distances shoots for me. She comes in at about thes 5:55 mark

Her greatest attribute is her speed from one end of the court to the other............of course it's what you do at either end of the court that counts...........I've seen her play live three times and rarely did I see the dominance at the high school level that one would expect from a kid with her size and athletic ability.............she was almost always positioned at the foul line preferring to shoot from the outside and didn't show much of a back to the basket or inside face up game.............you could blame it on poor coaching .................could be a mental thing............perhaps the right coach could get her motivated to play to her potential............time will tell

Reaction Score
OK kids.............from my perspective it's time to move on from the Collier debacle.............I will assume that it was simply a change of heart.............if it was more then that, meaning constant Texas contact, then Geno and Co. will surely deal with it as they see fit.............Charli gets to play closer to home and UConn will find post player who really wants the privilege of learning from the best women's basketball coaching staff of all time ........onward and upward!!!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Her greatest attribute is her speed from one end of the court to the other..of course it's what you do at either end of the court that counts......I've seen her play live three times and rarely did I see the dominance at the high school level that one would expect from a kid with her size and athletic ability...she was almost always positioned at the foul line preferring to shoot from the outside and didn't show much of a back to the basket or inside face up game...you could blame it on poor coaching .......could be a mental thing..perhaps the right coach could get her motivated to play to her potential..time will tell

I'm a bit behind on this trail. You're right, I happened to see the last HS game she'll probably ever play in New Jersey. And now that I think of it, probably one of her first. The change between that first game and the last game was a complete step-change...for the better. Even the concept of her running from end-to-end improved tremendously, not to mention sliding, boxing out, outlet passes and other basics, which we almost take for granted.

Maybe I'm a bit of a softee, but three things stick with me:
- she didn't start playing the game until just before her move from South America, so she had to learn those basics while being expected to be tall and anchor the defense/rebound;
- her living conditions here were fluid and I'd bet, rather challenging from everything we've read and heard; and,
- she's a very tall post and most bigs, by nature, take longer to mature. Remember, this young woman is just entering her senior year in high school.

Having jsut found my notes from that game, she did attempt a number back-to-the-basket attempts and most of them were off. However, she hit some jump hooks that were well taken, one from each side and made one swell double-pivot move. Hit one or two put backs. Yes, the jumper was the "go to" shot, but why is that a bad thing? (Bri Turner gets crucified for apparently not having one...or not using it more often.)

I'm very much hoping she has a good HS senior year on the west coast (I've heard she's relocated there), feels secure/grounded and keeps on moving forward. Hoping that she gets the same kind of guidance and coaching Ruth Hamblin did. Will she be an adequate D1 center? If she moves forward and plays in the right system, I think she's got a chance if she maximizes what she does have. An All American? Hmmm, that's another step up and I'm not sure she'd got the natural talent to be up there. But, one thing we very much agree on, we'll see (and hope for good things for her...).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm a bit behind on this trail. You're right, I happened to see the last HS game she'll probably ever play in New Jersey. And now that I think of it, probably one of her first. The change between that first game and the last game was a complete step-change...for the better. Even the concept of her running from end-to-end improved tremendously, not to mention sliding, boxing out, outlet passes and other basics, which we almost take for granted.

I'm very much hoping she has a good HS senior year on the west coast (I've heard she's relocated there), feels secure/grounded and keeps on moving forward. Hoping that she gets the same kind of guidance and coaching Ruth Hamblin did. Will she be an adequate D1 center? If she moves forward and plays in the right system, I think she's got a chance if she maximizes what she does have. An All American? Hmmm, that's another step up and I'm not sure she'd got the natural talent to be up there. But, one thing we very much agree on, we'll see (and hope for good things for her...).

She seemed to be a very nice and polite kid.........perhaps that's part of the problem!!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She seemed to be a very nice and polite kid....perhaps that's part of the problem!!!!

Kids and leaving the comfortable and familiar. I think she sparred us the "I prayed on it" sermonette we see fairly often. So many of the bigs are impeded by being "nice" and the thought crossed my mind about Charli quite a while ago.

Reaction Score
Has BOO planned an official visit to UConn or has she set up an in home visit wit Geno? I know we are listed in her top 6 but she has planned visits with other schools but i have heard nothing about UConn

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Has BOO planned an official visit to UConn or has she set up an in home visit wit Geno? I know we are listed in her top 6 but she has planned visits with other schools but i have heard nothing about UConn
BOO?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Boo who?

@ucalum who is BOO that you are referring to?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
But on Sept. 22, Collier's 18th birthday, she announced on Twitter that she had changed her mind, is now headed to Texas and plans to sign her letter of intent on Nov. 8.

"No disrespect to UConn. They're the top team," Collier told HoopGurlz's Dan Olson at the time. "I wish them the best."

According to Collier, the feeling was mutual. When she called Auriemma and UConn assistant Marisa Moseley -- "those were the main two who recruited me" at UConn -- about her change of heart, Collier said both were "really understanding."

"He was really supportive. He said, 'Good luck with the rest of your career,'" Collier said. "He wished the best for me and was really encouraging me to do what's right for me and what's right for my family."

For Collier, that meant staying closer to home.

"My mom, she's a single mother, and I felt like being with her, being with my family, that's what I need. That's my support group," Collier said. "I want my family to be able to watch me play, and I want to watch my brother grow and play high school football.

"Texas is a great program, and I know UConn is the best program in the country. But I feel like either way, I will be successful."

No. 2 prospect Charli Collier wants to stay close to home and play for Texas Longhorns

Reaction Score
But on Sept. 22, Collier's 18th birthday, she announced on Twitter that she had changed her mind, is now headed to Texas and plans to sign her letter of intent on Nov. 8.

"No disrespect to UConn. They're the top team," Collier told HoopGurlz's Dan Olson at the time. "I wish them the best."

According to Collier, the feeling was mutual. When she called Auriemma and UConn assistant Marisa Moseley -- "those were the main two who recruited me" at UConn -- about her change of heart, Collier said both were "really understanding."

"He was really supportive. He said, 'Good luck with the rest of your career,'" Collier said. "He wished the best for me and was really encouraging me to do what's right for me and what's right for my family."

For Collier, that meant staying closer to home.

"My mom, she's a single mother, and I felt like being with her, being with my family, that's what I need. That's my support group," Collier said. "I want my family to be able to watch me play, and I want to watch my brother grow and play high school football.

"Texas is a great program, and I know UConn is the best program in the country. But I feel like either way, I will be successful."

No. 2 prospect Charli Collier wants to stay close to home and play for Texas Longhorns

wouldn't have expected anything less from UConn coaches...........just wish Charli had come to this realization a bit sooner in case UConn had back up recruiting targets

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom