C. Collier De-commitment | Page 7 | The Boneyard

C. Collier De-commitment

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You guys worry to much. Do you have any idea how long its going to take to catch up to what Geno has built. It took him nearly 20 years to become an overnight sensation. Getting all the top players will help some teams but without proper Tuff coaching and discipline they will always be just very good teams who can out talent teams who dont play defense. I have to admit Texas is getting alot of the top recruits that Uconn doesnt get just like Tenn used to do. In the ole days it was Pat and Geno getting all the top players with Tenn getting more but when it came to NC time Geno never lost to Pat or anybody else. Texas will be very good with they players they have on their roster but they arent the team UConn is. UConn is in a different league then any other team in WCBB. Uconn is the team to beat. UConn is the team most feared.

Reaction Score
You guys worry to much. Do you have any idea how long its going to take to catch up to what Geno has built. It took him nearly 20 years to become an overnight sensation. Getting all the top players will help some teams but without proper Tuff coaching and discipline they will always be just very good teams who can out talent teams who dont play defense. I have to admit Texas is getting alot of the top recruits that Uconn doesnt get just like Tenn used to do. In the ole days it was Pat and Geno getting all the top players with Tenn getting more but when it came to NC time Geno never lost to Pat or anybody else. Texas will be very good with they players they have on their roster but they arent the team UConn is. UConn is in a different league then any other team in WCBB. Uconn is the team to beat. UConn is the team most feared.
Tony, that is what I like to hear. As I previously said, UCONN will have a monster 2019 class and all will be forgotten!

Reaction Score
Good luck to Collier. So long as Geno doesn't commit to Texas, we'll be fine. :)

But you know, for some reason, the top bigs don't necessarily like coming to UConn. Guards? Certainly. But UConn's great bigs have been few and far between. But when they've come, Geno has soared.

Rebecca Lobo.
Tina Charles.
Breanna Stewart.
And now there's a transfer. Kiah Stokes was a tremendous complement to Breanna, though not a star in her own right.

But other than those, we've lost out on star post after star post. Perhaps the up-tempo game and emphasis on guard play puts off back-to-the-baskets types.

Dunno.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think Geno demands alot from the center position with significant elements being passing/ footwork and great hands. Stefanie Dolson was the prime example (and probably spoiled Geno a little) and I can see where post players without the right feeling for passing the ball may be intimidated by what is expected. I am very curious to see what Z can do in this respect.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What is wrong with me. Try as I might I can't get worked up over this. I know Charli thinks she is making a lot of people mad at her. not me and not what I see anywhere (mostly). Besides, if she wants people tearing their hair and rending their garments, who wants to give her the satisfaction? Not me.

Reaction Score
What is wrong with me. Try as I might I can't get worked up over this. I know Charli thinks she is making a lot of people mad at her. not me and not what I see anywhere (mostly). Besides, if she wants people tearing their hair and rending their garments, who wants to give her the satisfaction? Not me.

I'm disappointed not mad based on the story line that Charli just wants to stay closer to home after realizing how very important family is to her..............if on the other hand this was good old player poaching by Texas then I'd be plenty mad...............

Reaction Score
I think Geno demands alot from the center position with significant elements being passing/ footwork and great hands. Stefanie Dolson was the prime example (and probably spoiled Geno a little) and I can see where post players without the right feeling for passing the ball may be intimidated by what is expected. I am very curious to see what Z can do in this respect.

Stevens is a stretch 4 and not a true center so she will be just as comfortable with the ball in her hands as Dolson was.

Reaction Score
I'm disappointed not mad based on the story line that Charli just wants to stay closer to home after realizing how very important family is to her....if on the other hand this was good old player poaching by Texas then I'd be plenty mad.....

Isn't it known that Aston continued to recruit Collier after she had verbally committed to UConn?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Isn't it known that Aston continued to recruit Collier after she had verbally committed to UConn?
No. We have two separate articles and a BY source who talked to the family that ALL state that there was no poaching on the part of Texas.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It just may be that she didn't want "it" enough to ignore what felt good and comfy as the fateful big C date approached. Maybe she will still get "it" under Aston, but that "It" will be a first in this century and going back a bit. Everything is big in Texas, except the WCBB trophy case. My chiropractor's office manager graduated Texas and is a Texas fan through and through, but she'll never miss a Husky game if she can help it, and in a recent conversation about the up coming season she shook her head and said: " They'll find a way to lose in the Sweet 16 no matter who is on the roster." Maybe Aston is just one guard coach away ...oh, wait, I'm confusing the mantra for Warlick. :oops:

Reaction Score
It just may be that she didn't want "it" enough to ignore what felt good and comfy as the fateful big C date approached. Maybe she will still get "it" under Aston, but that "It" will be a first in this century and going back a bit. Everything is big in Texas, except the WCBB trophy case. My chiropractor's office manager graduated Texas and is a Texas fan through and through, but she'll never miss a Husky game if she can help it, and in a recent conversation about the up coming season she shook her head and said: " They'll find a way to lose in the Sweet 16 no matter who is on the roster." Maybe Aston is just one guard coach away ...oh, wait, I'm confusing the mantra for Warlick. :oops:

Aston appears to be in far greater control of her team............Holly always seems to have a quizzical look on her face...............I always enjoy watching Texas and Baylor knock heads..............up to this point I've always rooted for Texas...............

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Aston appears to be in far greater control of her team..Holly always seems to have a quizzical look on her face.....I always enjoy watching Texas and Baylor knock heads....up to this point I've always rooted for Texas.....

Oh I agree. Warlick clueless, Aston far from it. But something seems missing (conditioning and pace have seemed suspect to me). I'll be looking more closely this season.

Reaction Score
No. We have two separate articles and a BY source who talked to the family that ALL state that there was no poaching on the part of Texas.

not sure that we will ever know the whole truth regarding that situation..........I'm going to go along with the narrative only because Charli and her family seems like genuinely good people

Reaction Score
Oh I agree. Warlick clueless, Aston far from it. But something seems missing (conditioning and pace have seemed suspect to me). I'll be looking more closely this season.

consistency............like most teams, even the good ones, you never know who's going to show up on any given day.............with UConn you pretty much know the effort is going to be there at both ends of the floor, it's more just question of whether their shots are falling

Reaction Score
Aston appears to be in far greater control of her team..Holly always seems to have a quizzical look on her face.....I always enjoy watching Texas and Baylor knock heads....up to this point I've always rooted for Texas.....

Talent is a necessity for greatness but before a team achieves greatness they have to believe they are great. I think Geno's greatest gift is his ability to convince his teams of their greatness. Summitt's best attribute also. As for Texas under Aston, I watched them for the last several years against Baylor. They never played anywhere near their potential until the game at Austin last season. I think that was a watershed win for Aston and her team. This year I see the game at Tennessee as a huge game for both teams. Texas handled Tenn in Austin last season and while Tenn isn't an elite level team TBA has a mystique in that visiting teams can hear the echos of times gone bye and start to question their own capabilities. Texas has much more depth and experience than the LV's and should win but let's see how they handle themselves if the score is close at the end.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Talent is a necessity for greatness but before a team achieves greatness they have to believe they are great. I think Geno's greatest gift is his ability to convince his teams of their greatness. Summitt's best attribute also. As for Texas under Aston, I watched them for the last several years against Baylor. They never played anywhere near their potential until the game at Austin last season. I think that was a watershed win for Aston and her team. This year I see the game at Tennessee as a huge game for both teams. Texas handled Tenn in Austin last season and while Tenn isn't an elite level team TBA has a mystique in that visiting teams can hear the echos of times gone bye and start to question their own capabilities. Texas has much more depth and experience than the LV's and should win but let's see how they handle themselves if the score is close at the end.
Texas beat Baylor in Waco; then lost the rematch in Austin.

Texas beat Tennessee two years ago in Knoxville.

JS

Reaction Score
Not against the rules if it happened. Why shouldn't she?

The oft-cited adage (slightly modified) is that a verbal commitment isn't worth the paper it isn't written on.

That's why teams continue to baby-sit their "committed" athletes. To discover/prevent any wavering and scope out any active poachers.

A coach who keeps trying despite a "commitment" elsewhere may or may not be viewed as underhanded, depending on relationships and who's assessing the situation.

"Bad form" at worst. "Fair game" in other situations.

Different story after the recruit signs a National Letter of Intent.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I wonder how much "babysitting" Geno did after she "verballed"...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well certainly not a good thing, though it's not the end of the world either. If she feels better closer to home, then she should do that. She'll survive, UCONN will survive.

This won't have any impact on this year. And possibly a small amount on 2018-2019 season. If Stevens, NCollier, Camara and Irwin are still here, we're pretty well covered. CCollier as a FR would not be a great impact. Yea, she would be great to have and help, but we still have a pretty good shot at a NC with the team we have in 18-19. KLS, Collier, Stevens as SRs, with Dangerfield a JR and Walker a SO, that's an impressive starting lineup. Add in a bench of at least Camara, Irwin, Bent, Coombs, Gordon and Hunter. Looks pretty good even with no FR. So we are pretty well set this year and next.

So really we are looking at the 19-20 season before this could be a "big" problem. And we have the rest of this recruiting year and next year's class to alleviate any "big" problems. Also who knows what's gonna happen on the transfer front?? Lots of talent in the 19 and 20 classes. And UCONN has plenty of scholarships available.

As Bob said, "Everyting's gonna be alright".

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So really we are looking at the 19-20 season before this could be a "big" problem. And we have the rest of this recruiting year and next year's class to alleviate any "big" problems. Also who knows what's gonna happen on the transfer front?? Lots of talent in the 19 and 20 classes. And UCONN has plenty of scholarships available

Yeah, but we all know it takes at least 2 years to make a big an elite college big. I just wanted to be the first with that knee jerk gloom. :)

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Well certainly not a good thing, though it's not the end of the world either. If she feels better closer to home, then she should do that. She'll survive, UCONN will survive.

This won't have any impact on this year. And possibly a small amount on 2018-2019 season. If Stevens, NCollier, Camara and Irwin are still here, we're pretty well covered. CCollier as a FR would not be a great impact. Yea, she would be great to have and help, but we still have a pretty good shot at a NC with the team we have in 18-19. KLS, Collier, Stevens as SRs, with Dangerfield a JR and Walker a SO, that's an impressive starting lineup. Add in a bench of at least Camara, Irwin, Bent, Coombs, Gordon and Hunter. Looks pretty good even with no FR. So we are pretty well set this year and next.

So really we are looking at the 19-20 season before this could be a "big" problem. And we have the rest of this recruiting year and next year's class to alleviate any "big" problems. Also who knows what's gonna happen on the transfer front?? Lots of talent in the 19 and 20 classes. And UCONN has plenty of scholarships available.

As Bob said, "Everyting's gonna be alright".
If Z graduates and wins a national championship, isn't it unrealistic to expect her to delay a lucrative career in the WNBA and abroad to return to Storrs to play for free? Just asking.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Z graduates and wins a national championship, isn't it unrealistic to expect her to delay a lucrative career in the WNBA and abroad to return to Storrs to play for free? Just asking.
:(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom