C. Collier De-commitment | Page 8 | The Boneyard

C. Collier De-commitment

Reaction Score
if Z wins a national championship and gets her diploma she will be weighing hundreds of thousands of dollars vs. coming back for taking a few courses and perhaps repeating the basketball season at no gain in future pro status.She will already be at the top in her draft position and ability to command a large salary.I think she would do the same as Morgan.When you haven't necessarily had a lot of money in your pocket in your life how do you pass up going pro for a considerable amount of money.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If Z graduates and wins a national championship, isn't it unrealistic to expect her to delay a lucrative career in the WNBA and abroad to return to Storrs to play for free? Just asking.
For a Masters? To work another year with the master? Be part of back to back undefeated seasons?

And "lucrative career" in the WNBA? :rolleyes:

UCONN's only had 1 player leave early for the WNBA. And she left with her class and 4 rings.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
if Z wins a national championship and gets her diploma she will be weighing hundreds of thousands of dollars vs. coming back for taking a few courses and perhaps repeating the basketball season at no gain in future pro status.She will already be at the top in her draft position and ability to command a large salary. I think she would do the same as Morgan.When you haven't necessarily had a lot of money in your pocket in your life how do you pass up going pro for a considerable amount of money.
Azura propelled herself into AA contention while being coached by JPM for two years. The investment of an additional year a UCONN has got to be view in the currency of Geno's tutelage not dollars. An additional year at UCONN could propel Azura to POY and consideration as a future Olympian=more dollars.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
But you know, for some reason, the top bigs don't necessarily like coming to UConn. Guards? Certainly. But UConn's great bigs have been few and far between. But when they've come, Geno has soared.

Rebecca Lobo.
Tina Charles.
Breanna Stewart.
And now there's a transfer. Kiah Stokes was a tremendous complement to Breanna, though not a star in her own right.

But other than those, we've lost out on star post after star post. Perhaps the up-tempo game and emphasis on guard play puts off back-to-the-baskets types.

Dunno.

You forgot Big Mama Stef!

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
For a Masters? To work another year with the master? Be part of back to back undefeated seasons?

And "lucrative career" in the WNBA? :rolleyes:

UCONN's only had 1 player leave early for the WNBA. And she left with her class and 4 rings.
Oh, I thought elite players could use their WNBA status as a springboard to play overseas where they can earn as much as $1 million a year. It's always easy to encourage a player to remain in college when it's not your money.

Reaction Score
So from some discussion here, unless there is an unknown out there Geno and co are down to ONO and Ezi for big in the 2018 class? neither seems to be offensively advanced Like Collier, but both look like potential great defenders, either would help the program maybe. off topic but does anyone remember the tall mystery recruit from a few classes ago? was the player ever identified?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So from some discussion here, unless there is an unknown out there Geno and co are down to ONO and Ezi for big in the 2018 class? neither seems to be offensively advanced Like Collier, but both look like potential great defenders, either would help the program maybe. off topic but does anyone remember the tall mystery recruit from a few classes ago? was the player ever identified?
Are you referring to Regan Magarity? She was a 6'3" forward who was from Sweden and there were rumors swirling around about possible mutual interest. She ended up going to Va Tech and has had a very nice career there. She injured herself her freshman year after only 5 games and redshirted. She will be a RS Junior this year. She's averaged over 11 PPG and 8 RPG thru her first 2 full seasons.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I hope she gets rickets and bunions and maybe even scurvy.

Good one. Unfortunately, it would seem that the BY is taking you serious. Not me. I know that toothy grin is friendly.

Reaction Score
Are you referring to Regan Magarity? She was a 6'3" forward who was from Sweden and there were rumors swirling around about possible mutual interest. She ended up going to Va Tech and has had a very nice career there. She injured herself her freshman year after only 5 games and redshirted. She will be a RS Junior this year. She's averaged over 11 PPG and 8 RPG thru her first 2 full seasons.
Maybe so, but I think she was said to be about 6’9 and maybe from the Virgin Islands.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Magbegor's offensive game may not be as polished as Collier's (I really don't know) but did play in the FIBA U19 world championships and was Australia's leading scorer and the 4th (tied) leading scorer in the entire tournament (16 ppg). I'm sure ONO's acl tear and surgery has slowed her development.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You may be thinking of Felicia Aiyeotan who is currently playing at UVA. Fee is 6'9" and transferred to Blair Academy from Nueman-Gorretti in Philly and played with AEH and Honesty Scott-Grayson at Blair. I saw Fee at NG and at the Philly Belles and she was always going to have to make a significant jump to contribute at UCONN. IMO she never made that jump at Blair and although much improved at UVA she only averaged 12.5 minutes per 4.6 points per game.

Reaction Score
Magbegor's offensive game may not be as polished as Collier's (I really don't know) but did play in the FIBA U19 world championships and was Australia's leading scorer and the 4th (tied) leading scorer in the entire tournament (16 ppg). I'm sure ONO's acl tear and surgery has slowed her development.

Magbegor may not have the range that Collier does but that's about it. Ezi is a tremendous athlete that runs the court with ease. She also already has a "pro ready" body with great size and strength that will only get stronger as she matures. She is a great shot blocker, rebounder, and help defender. She can finish around the rim with either hand and has a nice back to the basket game. I would love to see Coach Auriemma and CD get a chance to work with this kid. She reminds me a lot of a young Tina Charles.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
When I saw Aiyeotan she looked as if she needed a LOT of work before should would become a major factor at the D1 level, imo.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Oh, I thought elite players could use their WNBA status as a springboard to play overseas where they can earn as much as $1 million a year. It's always easy to encourage a player to remain in college when it's not your money.
I'm not encouraging her in either direction. You asked.

Reaction Score
You may be thinking of Felicia Aiyeotan who is currently playing at UVA. Fee is 6'9" and transferred to Blair Academy from Nueman-Gorretti in Philly and played with AEH and Honesty Scott-Grayson at Blair. I saw Fee at NG and at the Philly Belles and she was always going to have to make a significant jump to contribute at UCONN. IMO she never made that jump at Blair and although much improved at UVA she only averaged 12.5 minutes per 4.6 points per game.

Yes I believe that is her name, Mulkey who went to OU now at Rice, was pretty much the same way, a project, only 2018 6’9 post Aquino looks to be the real deal.

Reaction Score
Magbegor gave up a lot of size to ONO when they faced off, but she did have some nice post moves including a long drag step she takens from the high post to ge to the rim.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes I believe that is her name, Mulkey who went to OU now at Rice, was pretty much the same way, a project, only 2018 6’9 post Aquino looks to be the real deal.
Funny you should mention Aquino because a few of us watched Aiyeotan play Aquino at Blair -Both were severly underwhelming. Have not see Aquino recently but her stock per ESPN has risen significantly (#7) in the class and I understand the Family (host?) is headed west and she is committed to Oregon State.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Magbegor gave up a lot of size to ONO when they faced off, but she did have some nice post moves including a long drag step she takens from the high post to ge to the rim.

They're both listed at 6-4.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nor I. You answered. Thanks.
No problem.

giphy.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics