Butler Postgame Thread [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Butler Postgame Thread [merged thread]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Butler game:

*. I know Butler isn’t particularly good, and the Bulldogs were further hindered by their own struggles with Covid, but it sure was nice to watch a UConn blowout for a change
*. I had a feeling Geno would give Nika the start at pg. She brings great energy to the team and I think it lets Evina relax and play her game without the pressure of starting at the point.
*. I can not wait for the day Caroline Ducharme is on the same court together with a healthy Paige Bueckers and a healthy Azzi Fudd. I don’t know if there are 3 more versatile scorers on any team in the country.
*. It’s worth noting that in each of the last 2 games, Liv has looked much more comfortable shooting from 15-20’, even knocking down a 3 today. Add Liv’s outside shooting to Dorka’s and it is potentially a huge development, forcing other teams to defend both UConn Bigs away from the basket, while opening up the lane for UConn’s guards to attack the basket.
*. I know it was against Butler but this was a good game for all 3 senior captains, and hopefully a confidence booster for the big games to come.
*. Nice to see extended minutes for Amari & Piath. Hoping they both eventually become contributors for the Huskies.
*. I love historic Hinkle Fieldhouse. I don’t know if there’s a better on campus facility in America.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So Nika got the start over Evina. LOVE IT! Mix things up. She makes things happen.

First half was probably the first game this season where UCONN fans could just sit back and enjoy watching basketball instead of stressing out over getting a lead, seeing it shrink, and wondering why we aren't playing better. Then I worried maybe we'd let up in Q3, but no such problem.

I was worried about the trajectory of Butler's scoring by quarter - 9, 10, 12, thought maybe they'd go on a tear in Q4, especially given their 7-0 run. LOL. Q4 was ragged (outscored 16-15), but overall, a real treat to watch.

Aside from Caroline, not a great day at the FT line. But 18 steals led by 6 for CW? That's nice to see.

Olivia - my friend @MilfordHusky called her "Olivia Mosqueda Ododa". 19 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, 1 block, 1-2 from 3. Yeah Butler sucks but it was nice seeing her with that stat line. She was the star post player today. Yeah I know - Butler was out-manned and out-gunned, but she's put up average stats against over-matched teams before. Glad to see her take advantage. She is my player of the game. It took her only 10 shots to get those points (8-10) while it took Williams 18 shots to get the same exact offensive output.

Caroline - continues to impress. The kid is just a baller. We all know from Geno that "she listens to him" (Per Geno, apparently she's the only one LOL). Not a lot of assists or rebounds, but she just makes good decisions and seems to be playing beyond her years (ie. better than a "freshman"). Also nicie seeing a player who actually hits her FT's. She's the only one who didn't miss one.

Dorka - another good game from her. Not great but good. She sort of disappeared in the 2nd half for the 2nd game in a row. Needs to be consistent for an entire game IMHO.

Nika - just makes things happen. I love her motor, intensity and passion. Not a scoring threat - would like to see her take a few more shots to show she can make them and make other teams respect her from deep, BUT she's a true PG.

Evina - seems like she played better off the bench. Of course there are other games where she played great while starting, but not so much as the starting PG in Paige's absence. She took 2 shots I think against Creighton. Just not acceptable. Today, 5-9 with 13 points, 4 assists, 2 boards and 1 steal.

Christyn - seemed like she did everything well except shooting the 3. STOP TAKING 3'S!!! Good grief. She missed 5 in a row en route to 1-7 for the 1st half. I don't care if she's wide open. There's a reason other teams don't guard her from 3. Because she's a lousy 3-point shooter. I really wish Geno would bench her for doing that, but maybe he's ok with it. Maybe I'm the only one who yells lat my TV - STOP SHOOTING THOSE!!! LOL. She ended up an ok 3-10, but the rest of her stats were eye-popping. 19 points, 7 steals, 4 assists, 7 rebounds and only 1 TO.

Aaliyah - Again a quote from my friend @MilfordHusky "in the first half, Thor lost her hammer". I was really hoping to see her build on her solid game vs. Creighton. Better in half 2 - 12 points, but also 7 boards, 2 steals, and 1 assist. Need more from her especially against a weak team.

Amari - tossed up a brick early when she got in and people might remember that, but as a post player with 5 assists to go along with 2 steals, 1 rebound and 1 block - not bad at all for a kid finding her sea legs, or so I thought. Then she goes on a tear, at least shooting and goes 0-6. UGH.

Piath - what a welcome sight to see her. She gets in and BAM! Scores a basket. Atta-girl!!!!!

Reaction Score
Cannot complain anymore, 5 players have double ..
Screenshot (19).png

Reaction Score
Careful, don’t point out that Butler won the 4th, people in chat got all kinds of bent out of shape by making that observation.

Glad to see UConn have a comfortable win. Lots of players got in to contribute.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think that the early fouls called on Caroline messed with her head and shot making. She still played very well and I am glad that the seniors had good games to pick her up. :) Oops, I just saw the box score and Caroline had a very quiet 18 points. :eek:
Another game that I am looking forward to watching on MJL243's YouTube channel tomorrow.
And I hope that people don't start posting about our lack of scoring in the last 4 minutes because we played a pretty damn good game and that takes precedent. IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hit some three's and feeding the post wow who was I watching. We got steals and even fast breaks. Let's hope it continues against better teams. We have Oregon next week they will be tough. Dorka looked great grabbing the ball and taking off on a break and making a great feed to Caroline Ducharme boom she hits the three. Looked nice and expanded roles tonight for players. Who would have thought Geno took Dorka out of the portal to be leading the break.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought we played well. Butler missed the last 4 games and just came out of Covid protocol. Plus, they average 21 TOs per game. So they were vulnerable, and we attacked them on defense, which worked well.

The half-court offense was better. I liked Evina doing less ball-handling and more shooting. I watched Liv in warmups against Louisville, and she was really good. I was happy to see her jumper working for her tonight. Christyn impacted the game in several ways. I'd like to see Nika take a few shots, but I love her intensity and energy.

The last half of 4th quarter was pretty ugly, with Liya, Amari, and Piath in the front court. Amari shot several bricks--questioned by Geno at first, then encouraged by him--and Piath shot a couple. I totally discount those minutes, but it did make me question how ready Amari is. We were lax and gave up a 7-0 run and 9-0 run (Butler's previous run was a single basket). We played to the score when we were up by 50. Oh well! It was nice to see us up by 50--or even 30. It was deja vu!

Reaction Score
This is my first post. I really was looking forward to seeing Saylor Poffenbarger (?) play. With all the injuries to key players, she could have gotten meaningful playing time like Caroline Ducharme has and show what she can do. I will look at her at her new school.

Reaction Score
olddude and EricLA summed it up pretty well. You would expect any good team to rip Butler and UConn did. Had we only won by 20 their stock would have gone down, so it's good they met expectations and won big.

General observations:

CD is the best basketball player on the UConn team not named Paige. She is a natural baller. Smooth, quick enough, athletic, can shoot and drive - she just glides through a game.

I like it when Nika is on the court. We all love that running around to make stuff happen that is Nika. Then that lack of scoring thing comes to mind. She isn't a natural shooter/scorer; she can do more than she has. So come on Nika, put some shots up!

ONO was great today and Evina and CW also has good games. Good for them.

I like Dorka more and more. She can score, moves really well, plays a smart game.

It would have been nice if Gabriel and DeBerry had scored. Not that they didn't try.

Onward, onward.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I've suggested starting Nika even if she doesn't play a majority of the game, and I thought it worked today. Geno still started Caroline Doty when she couldn't play for very long, just to set a tone for the game.

The game was really entertaining. I would have liked a few more of those UConn plays that just take your breath away. There were certainly some.

I think UConn needed a game like this, something to give some confidence to the players who've been struggling lately.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom