Butler Postgame Thread [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Butler Postgame Thread [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Sorry, I can’t get excited about playing a team that is 1-11. What can this team do with teams that are in the top 25?
How would this team do against top 25 teams? They'd win most and lose some. Assuming "this team" is the one on the floor tonight. This team is a placeholder team and not long for this world. When Azzi returns, things change, particularly if she can score as advertised. Adding a high percentage 3 pt shooter will give the team a whole new look. Then Paige returns and another new and better team is born. I like my chances with that team against anyone. Anyone.

I did enjoy watching the game by the way. Winning big, even against over matched teams, has its charms. I'm kind of used to it; of the gazillion wins UConn has, an awful lot were blowouts. Enjoyed them all

Reaction Score
Initial thoughts:

Very good game from pretty much the whole team. I feel like no one played great besides ONO but everyone played well and this is sort of the baseline/what we expect from each player

NIka: I know ppl debate about her value to the team and how much minutes she should really play, but everytime I watch she just seems like she's making a positive contribution. She makes everyone around her better, and then her energy and defense is a difference maker. I know she's not 6'0 but there are a lot of wings who are limited shooting the ball, but play great defense and play big minutes. I think the fact that Nika runs the team and gets people in spots, while playing great defense makes her valuable. There's just a different feel/flow to the game when she's out there. I like her starting, but I think whenever she gets in she will be effective. She just needs to know her role. Earlier this season, it was like she was bench fodder, hoping to earn minutes after starting half of last year. Now because of injuries, atleast she knows she's counted on to be a contributor.

EW- A much needed double figure scoring game from EW. Truthfully it was only 3 games in a row where she failed to do so but it felt like longer. She didn't hesitate on her open threes but what I really liked was the drive to the rim (although she appeared hurt after the play). Making the 3 ball of course is going to help her, but finding other ways to score and get to the line will be important as the season moves on. She did such a great job of that the second half of last year, I hope she gets back to that.

CW- I thought she sort of had a tough first half. I mentioned that in the game chat, but others quickly pointed out how much she was doing in other areas. Then to see that she had 7 steals this game, I got to tip the old cap. She didn't shoot the ball particularly well but it felt like a CW type of game. I like that she took 18 shots, although she missed a couple layups and probably took a bit too many threes. When Paige went down, I really thought she would be the primary scorer but it hasn't been the case thus far. Hopefully this game is a reminder to her how she can be aggressive.

Dorka- Geno said after the Louisville loss that sometimes Dorka looks like the best player on the floor and then other times she just "goes somewhere." In this game on two different occasions she lead the break perfectly. She's 6'5!!!!!! She also came out and made her first three shots and was a big part of UConn's strong start. On the other hand, as others have mentioned, she was a bit quiet in the second half (in fairness others had it going, and she didn't play a whole bunch). I think she can be a bit more aggressive, when she catches the ball on the wing or facing up. I think thats the next area of her game she needs to unlock. Also, she had a couple post ups where I kind of feel like she was bailed out by the refs, but I don't want to be a hater. Overall solid performance.

CD- Not much I can say that hasn't already been said over the past month. Although, I'm going to just say something a little wild anyways. Her quick release reminds me of Klay Thompson. I'm not saying she's as good of a shooter/player anything like that. It's just sometimes I'm not sure if she's even 100 percent set but she's still able to shoot on target. She always plays both ends like Klay, and is completely unphased like Klay. Considering like injury concerns with Azzi and Paige, CD is probably the Husky I'm least worried about the rest of the season. I just feel like she's always going to be aggressive whether she gets 35 minutes or 15 minutes. She's going to play defense, and she's going to find a way to contribute. She's just a stud. Its going to be interesting\amazing to see how her game grows over her UConn career.

ONO- Loved everything about her game today. I know it looks good when it goes in, but I really do think its just important to be a threat and take the open shot when you have the opportunity. Without doing any research I'd bet Aaliyah Boston and Liv shoot comparable percentages from outside of 10 ft, but I think of Boston as someone who can hit from the outside because she's ready to shoot. This year, ONO has been ready to shoot and I think it's cool that it's paid off.

AE- I also think similar to CW and EW this was a really solid game from her, and just about what I expect from her. The numbers really look comparable to last year. Also, she seems good for a steal and a score in every game. She's a really solid player. Maybe she won't make the jump many people expected, but it's clear she can still be super solid for this team.

Piath- Glad to see she's healthy and got an opportunity to score some points.

Deberry- She shot one off the side of the backboard which wasn't pretty, but other than that I thought she looked good. I actually feel like she's ready for minutes now, but we just have good depth on our frontline.

Lastly, I know many had mentioned it when the team went through it's early season struggles, but it's probably good that the team is getting some games this week to gain confidence and be dominant.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

Ah, so Ashlynn WAS at the Butler game? Even on a school night, after basketball practice?

Given the prominence of this issue in another thread, I'm glad to see that all doubt has been removed, and anxiety attacks may finally cease.

Reaction Score
Considering the opposition, I think this game might boost confidence but we should have beaten this team badly. They were a turnover magnet. If anything we let them score too much. I'm all for letting everyone play also, in a blow out, but the shot selection in the end was completely worthless. Sure, get Amari and Piath the ball but what is the point of seeing them throw up 3's?

We should have fattened our stats against this team and instead ended up shooting around 47% overall and 32% or so from 3?

Reaction Score
I was thrilled with Evina tonight. No turnovers, 7 shots from the arc and 4 assists. She got liberated by not starting at the point. Playing her position without having to concentrate on point duties was what many of us predicted would result in her resurgence.

Reaction Score
Considering the opposition, I think this game might boost confidence but we should have beaten this team badly. They were a turnover magnet. If anything we let them score too much. I'm all for letting everyone play also, in a blow out, but the shot selection in the end was completely worthless. Sure, get Amari and Piath the ball but what is the point of seeing them throw up 3's?

We should have fattened our stats against this team and instead ended up shooting around 47% overall and 32% or so from 3?
What does it matter whether we beat them by 60 or 40? I think it’s pretty clear that we could have won by 60 if we left the starters in but how/why would that be better? As for the stats, I’m not seeing why that’s important either.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Initial thoughts:

Very good game from pretty much the whole team. I feel like no one played great besides ONO but everyone played well and this is sort of the baseline/what we expect from each player

NIka: I know ppl debate about her value to the team and how much minutes she should really play, but everytime I watch she just seems like she's making a positive contribution. She makes everyone around her better, and then her energy and defense is a difference maker. I know she's not 6'0 but there are a lot of wings who are limited shooting the ball, but play great defense and play big minutes. I think the fact that Nika runs the team and gets people in spots, while playing great defense makes her valuable. There's just a different feel/flow to the game when she's out there. I like her starting, but I think whenever she gets in she will be effective. She just needs to know her role. Earlier this season, it was like she was bench fodder, hoping to earn minutes after starting half of last year. Now because of injuries, atleast she knows she's counted on to be a contributor.

EW- A much needed double figure scoring game from EW. Truthfully it was only 3 games in a row where she failed to do so but it felt like longer. She didn't hesitate on her open threes but what I really liked was the drive to the rim (although she appeared hurt after the play). Making the 3 ball of course is going to help her, but finding other ways to score and get to the line will be important as the season moves on. She did such a great job of that the second half of last year, I hope she gets back to that.

CW- I thought she sort of had a tough first half. I mentioned that in the game chat, but others quickly pointed out how much she was doing in other areas. Then to see that she had 7 steals this game, I got to tip the old cap. She didn't shoot the ball particularly well but it felt like a CW type of game. I like that she took 18 shots, although she missed a couple layups and probably took a bit too many threes. When Paige went down, I really thought she would be the primary scorer but it hasn't been the case thus far. Hopefully this game is a reminder to her how she can be aggressive.

Dorka- Geno said after the Louisville loss that sometimes Dorka looks like the best player on the floor and then other times she just "goes somewhere." In this game on two different occasions she lead the break perfectly. She's 6'5!!!!!! She also came out and made her first three shots and was a big part of UConn's strong start. On the other hand, as others have mentioned, she was a bit quiet in the second half (in fairness others had it going, and she didn't play a whole bunch). I think she can be a bit more aggressive, when she catches the ball on the wing or facing up. I think thats the next area of her game she needs to unlock. Also, she had a couple post ups where I kind of feel like she was bailed out by the refs, but I don't want to be a hater. Overall solid performance.

CD- Not much I can say that hasn't already been said over the past month. Although, I'm going to just say something a little wild anyways. Her quick release reminds me of Klay Thompson. I'm not saying she's as good of a shooter/player anything like that. It's just sometimes I'm not sure if she's even 100 percent set but she's still able to shoot on target. She always plays both ends like Klay, and is completely unphased like Klay. Considering like injury concerns with Azzi and Paige, CD is probably the Husky I'm least worried about the rest of the season. I just feel like she's always going to be aggressive whether she gets 35 minutes or 15 minutes. She's going to play defense, and she's going to find a way to contribute. She's just a stud. Its going to be interesting\amazing to see how her game grows over her UConn career.

ONO- Loved everything about her game today. I know it looks good when it goes in, but I really do think its just important to be a threat and take the open shot when you have the opportunity. Without doing any research I'd bet Aaliyah Boston and Liv shoot comparable percentages from outside of 10 ft, but I think of Boston as someone who can hit from the outside because she's ready to shoot. This year, ONO has been ready to shoot and I think it's cool that it's paid off.

AE- I also think similar to CW and EW this was a really solid game from her, and just about what I expect from her. The numbers really look comparable to last year. Also, she seems good for a steal and a score in every game. She's a really solid player. Maybe she won't make the jump many people expected, but it's clear she can still be super solid for this team.

Piath- Glad to see she's healthy and got an opportunity to score some points.

Deberry- She shot one off the side of the backboard which wasn't pretty, but other than that I thought she looked good. I actually feel like she's ready for minutes now, but we just have good depth on our frontline.

L will fallastly, I know many had mentioned it when the team went through it's early season struggles, but it's probably good that the team is getting some games this week to gain confidence and be dominant.
Good job. One thing about DeBerry. Aside from that one shot, her form is solid and she was pretty much on line. Her shots will fall.

Reaction Score
My takeaways:
Kudos to a short staffed Butler team for chugging along and not showing any quit.
Nika’s therapy sessions have proved fruitful- or maybe Geno said you’ll start if you keep a lid on it?
Deberry- not an outside player. We’re those designed plays for her to chuck away from outside?
O fer from the field
O fer from the charity stripe
O fer rebounds
Will write it off due to adrenaline.
Piath has the size and the wingspan to do some damage- wish Geno’s ‘work in progress’ would show more progress.
Offensive sets looked well spaced and smoothly worked.
Don’t get me wrong—a very positive performance taking into account the disastrous events of the past month.
Am LOVING Ducharme’s smart play.
Seems that all of Geno’s ‘bailing’ may have righted this ship. (with commitment from players)
Steady cohesion and the return to health of the injured spells BIG problems for anyone we will meet in the tournament.
I won’t really care too much about seeding-bring ‘em on.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I thought that Olivia Mosqueda-Ododa was really good! :D
There is no way anyone can tell me that ONO can’t get 4 baskets in each half along with 2 made FT. That’s 18 points. 20 points if two of those fg are 3’s. I don’t think that is an unrealistic expectation. 7-8 rebounds a game are also very possible.

I won’t compare her with Aliyah Boston, who In my humble opinion is the best and most consistent post player in the country, and regularly posts a double double. Boston gets lots of rebounds because she’s in position to do so. That and she has a nose for the ball. She gets a lot of points from offensive rebounds as well. Something ONO is very capable of.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Careful, don’t point out that Butler won the 4th, people in chat got all kinds of bent out of shape by making that observation.

Glad to see UConn have a comfortable win. Lots of players got in to contribute.
I love the chat room!! Lots of raw and unfiltered emotions are displayed there. You see comments there you’ll never see in open forum. I want to know what my fellow UConn brethren are really thinking. I may or may not agree with their observations, but I am interested in what they are thinking. :cool:

It’s like watching a football or basketball game in a Las Vegas sports book with lots of beer, chicken wings and pizza. I’ve met some real “characters“ in sports books. :confused: The most fun I’ve ever had watching a game, especially if I bet on the winning team. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks, Butler, we needed that!! They didn't just fold up in spite of the horrific circumstances they are in.
Loved Nika starting and lighting the fuse. Her lack of scoring (in this instance) certainly didn't hamstring the offense.
EW looked a lot more comfortable in a different and it showed in her engagement and execution.
Liv is slowly starting to look like the player we always hoped she would be.
Caroline Ducharme continued to impress.
Dorka contributes a nice element that will come in handy later on.
I was especially glad to see Amari get out there and just PLAY. Didn't quite understand her shot selection and her inexperience showed on a couple of defensive plays. But, how else can the coaches teach her?
Piath actually DOES exist. I thought she might have left for parts unknown.
Welcome back CW!!
AE seems to be remembering the things that make her so D___d good.
Bring on Xavier!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom