Butler Postgame Thread [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Butler Postgame Thread [merged thread]

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Enjoyable game to watch.

The team, as presently constituted since the injury bug hit, is making major strides both on the defense and the offense. Last night if you watched, you saw a lot of movement of the five on the floor. Screens, picks and back door cuts are enjoyable to watch. Defense was physical and in your face!!! Butler wanted to bang and I think they got a big surprised. Liv, Dorka, Aaliya came to play and bang back!

Nika - she needs to start. She is the spark - the energizer bunny the team needs and feeds of of. I believe her scoring will come around. Right now she is doing what she does best, pushing the offense, playing hard nose defense.

Christyn - Very good all around game. For those complaining about her shooting percentage, she's a volume shooter, not a natural shooter - especially from the 3 point line. She is best when she is moving and getting close in opportunities.

Caroline - what a special player. So smooth and with a big wingspan. Her game will continue to improve.

Aaliyah is returning to form. We need her physicality and low post presence.

Dorka - love this big girl. Defense, rebounding last night were great. She is now playing within herself and within the team concept. That occasional 3 is a killer.

Olivia has a great game. She is not a low post banger as many have wanted her to be. Last night she seemed to have found her outside stroke. It will be needed to open up the lane until we are back to full compliment. She needs to keep up the assist totals.

Evina - great coming off the bench. It maybe her new role. Time will tell.

Now as to the fourth quarter when it got a little ragged. Geno played the bench which some posters have been screaming for to do for ever or so it seems. We constantly hear the bench needs minutes to get better. Last night you saw the results. Scoring drops off and the offense stagnates and is ragged. Amari and Piath showed potential but also the raw talent that needs to be developed and refined. You can't have it both ways!

Reaction Score
Where are all the complainers?

Good game for building confidence by all players, but in to paraphrase Geno, Butler "sucks". Last night they were no better than a good high school team, much of it due to circumstances beyond their control. However, it was a game to build on.

Crickets

Reaction Score
Geno

I think I heard him correctly. He says he had to dumb it down and take the thinking out of it for the 3 seniors so they wouldn't have to worry about what plays to run next. And that's how they were able to have a productive game against Butler. Butler.

Reaction Score
A fun game to watch as everyone played and most played well. Based on the way they’d been playing the MOV could have been 10 to 50. Still plenty of work to do on foul shooting and field goal accuracy.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Go back and listen to the first 3 1/2 minutes. How can you possibly have to tell a kid who's been in a major D1 program for almost 4 years that stuff? HS sure. But at UConn?
CW herself said in her presser she identifies herself as a scorer. She also acknowledges ho important and useful it is to do other things to affect the game :confused:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Whew, that felt better.

Good
  • We beat an over-matched team badly. Just like we're supposed to
  • Everyone (available) got to play. Been awhile since that happened
  • 5 (almost 6) players in double figures scoring
  • 25 assists / 7 TOs Much, much better
  • Another good defensive effort
Bad
  • Still not shooting as well as we should 47%/32% and 56% FTs (would really like to hit 50% shooting and closer to 37% 3pt and of course north of 70% FTs)
  • Posters (some). We demolish a team we should and we still get Debby Downers on here. If this game didn't make you smile a bit, you may want to try another team or another sport.

Reaction Score
This was Connecticut's best game of the year. Though we were playing a 1-10 team, it was still evident that UConn played very well. They hit three's (I'll forget the inexplicable antics of DeBerry throwing up four three's- and missing near the end). The team controlled the ball well. The front court was aggressive, and, until the fourth quarter, went straight for the basket, even for offensive rebounds. This was probably ONO's best game of her career. Will she continue to make baskets from 3-point range? Doubt it. But she was there for offensive rebounds, and decided to attack the basket underneath, which she has been loath to do in the past. For me, ONO's premier moment was when she went up to the basket underneath and put it in, despite Butler's triple-teaming her.

Ducharmes is as advertised: one of the half dozen best players in the nation for her year. Perhaps she'd get higher ranking in retrospect, were that group to be renumbered today based on their first college season's performance.

But what in the world was DeBerry thinking? Four three-point attempts? Seven misses in total? She also seemed to be utterly lost on the court, and also didn't seem all that fussed about it. Seemed to be playing a pick-up game against some random friends.

Gabriel seemed more tuned in. At least made attempts underneath. Looked like a strong big who could seriously impact a game with experience and confidence from the coach.

But overall, the team's best performance to date. For the first time this year, Connecticut resembled a Geno Auriemma-coached team.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Considering the opposition, I think this game might boost confidence but we should have beaten this team badly. They were a turnover magnet. If anything we let them score too much. I'm all for letting everyone play also, in a blow out, but the shot selection in the end was completely worthless. Sure, get Amari and Piath the ball but what is the point of seeing them throw up 3's?
When Amari entered the game and she threw up those 3-point clunkers, my first reaction was similar to yours.

But immediately thereafter it occurred to me that I had the same reaction to Caroline Ducharme's first few games when she was throwing up what seemed to be clunker after clunker.

So maybe we need to have some grace and give these players time to find their footing.

Reaction Score
I avoided the game chat, which was kind of nice and peaceful. My blood pressure was at its best in a long time. But it was joy to watch that game. Love the energy from the team and the pace of the game. Maybe that lineup change of Nika & Evina is the key for the offensive spark we need. Who knows? All I know was that it opened up the transition game better. Plus having Evina, not a great scorer but a scorer, coming off the bench might spark that 2nd unit. It is worth sticking with this strategy for a few games and see what develops.

It was great to see the seniors, using this game against Butler, to shine. Hopefully this/that game gives them that confidence and motivation to say "Hey. We set the tone for the rest of the season. This is Our Time! We gotta lead the way!" and just ball out! That was just a joy to watch. I know. It was against Butler. But games like Butler is a "trap" game. Sometimes teams play up or down to their competition. I am just glad that the UConn players, especially our seniors, stepped up and treated Butler as a very competitive team & game.

What can I say about Nika that has not been said in this thread and in many other threads? We all just love this young lady's heart! She may not be the most gifted athlete out there. But she sure as heck is going to Out Hustle You & Out Work You! Love her spark that she brings to the team. She just changes so much of the team's energy, in a positive way, that it just gets the team's energy flowing better. Love that young lady!! Love this team!!

All around great team effort. Game by game. Let's do this again against Xavier.

Reaction Score
Considering the opposition, I think this game might boost confidence but we should have beaten this team badly. They were a turnover magnet. If anything we let them score too much. I'm all for letting everyone play also, in a blow out, but the shot selection in the end was completely worthless. Sure, get Amari and Piath the ball but what is the point of seeing them throw up 3's?

We should have fattened our stats against this team and instead ended up shooting around 47% overall and 32% or so from 3?
Looked to me like Coach directed team to get Amari looks and wanted her to shoot. Like so many (e.g. "zero for America") she may need a string of attempts to feel the rhythm in game. They were also trying to feed Piath in the paint. And others all turned down opportunities.

Also I liked seeing the player rotation throughout the game.

Wilderness

Reaction Score
That was a solid performance against one the worst , if not the worst team in division 1 basketball. I don't think it says anything about where this UConn team is.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There is no way anyone can tell me that ONO can’t get 4 baskets in each half along with 2 made FT. That’s 18 points. 20 points if two of those fg are 3’s. I don’t think that is an unrealistic expectation. 7-8 rebounds a game are also very possible.

I won’t compare her with Aliyah Boston, who In my humble opinion is the best and most consistent post player in the country, and regularly posts a double double. Boston gets lots of rebounds because she’s in position to do so. That and she has a nose for the ball. She gets a lot of points from offensive rebounds as well. Something ONO is very capable of.
True, but Boston also is built stronger. ONOs major shortcoming on offense is obvious and it’s pretty much limited to one thing but an important thing. She doesn’t go up really strong around the hoop in traffic. She generally rebounds well, shot blocks well, passes very well and has a reasonable 15 foot jumper. it doesn’t matter if it works for her, but I think her jump shooting form is a little unorthodox. Hard to compare her to Boston who is one of the best college centers ever.

Reaction Score
So Nika got the start over Evina. LOVE IT! Mix things up. She makes things happen.

First half was probably the first game this season where UCONN fans could just sit back and enjoy watching basketball instead of stressing out over getting a lead, seeing it shrink, and wondering why we aren't playing better. Then I worried maybe we'd let up in Q3, but no such problem.

I was worried about the trajectory of Butler's scoring by quarter - 9, 10, 12, thought maybe they'd go on a tear in Q4, especially given their 7-0 run. LOL. Q4 was ragged (outscored 16-15), but overall, a real treat to watch.

Aside from Caroline, not a great day at the FT line. But 18 steals led by 6 for CW? That's nice to see.

Olivia - my friend @MilfordHusky called her "Olivia Mosqueda Ododa". 19 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, 1 block, 1-2 from 3. Yeah Butler sucks but it was nice seeing her with that stat line. She was the star post player today. Yeah I know - Butler was out-manned and out-gunned, but she's put up average stats against over-matched teams before. Glad to see her take advantage. She is my player of the game. It took her only 10 shots to get those points (8-10) while it took Williams 18 shots to get the same exact offensive output.

Caroline - continues to impress. The kid is just a baller. We all know from Geno that "she listens to him" (Per Geno, apparently she's the only one LOL). Not a lot of assists or rebounds, but she just makes good decisions and seems to be playing beyond her years (ie. better than a "freshman"). Also nicie seeing a player who actually hits her FT's. She's the only one who didn't miss one.

Dorka - another good game from her. Not great but good. She sort of disappeared in the 2nd half for the 2nd game in a row. Needs to be consistent for an entire game IMHO.

Nika - just makes things happen. I love her motor, intensity and passion. Not a scoring threat - would like to see her take a few more shots to show she can make them and make other teams respect her from deep, BUT she's a true PG.

Evina - seems like she played better off the bench. Of course there are other games where she played great while starting, but not so much as the starting PG in Paige's absence. She took 2 shots I think against Creighton. Just not acceptable. Today, 5-9 with 13 points, 4 assists, 2 boards and 1 steal.

Christyn - seemed like she did everything well except shooting the 3. STOP TAKING 3'S!!! Good grief. She missed 5 in a row en route to 1-7 for the 1st half. I don't care if she's wide open. There's a reason other teams don't guard her from 3. Because she's a lousy 3-point shooter. I really wish Geno would bench her for doing that, but maybe he's ok with it. Maybe I'm the only one who yells lat my TV - STOP SHOOTING THOSE!!! LOL. She ended up an ok 3-10, but the rest of her stats were eye-popping. 19 points, 7 steals, 4 assists, 7 rebounds and only 1 TO.

Aaliyah - Again a quote from my friend @MilfordHusky "in the first half, Thor lost her hammer". I was really hoping to see her build on her solid game vs. Creighton. Better in half 2 - 12 points, but also 7 boards, 2 steals, and 1 assist. Need more from her especially against a weak team.

Amari - tossed up a brick early when she got in and people might remember that, but as a post player with 5 assists to go along with 2 steals, 1 rebound and 1 block - not bad at all for a kid finding her sea legs, or so I thought. Then she goes on a tear, at least shooting and goes 0-6. UGH.

Piath - what a welcome sight to see her. She gets in and BAM! Scores a basket. Atta-girl!!!!!
Good game assessment--can we say it louder and stronger? CW, stop shooting 3s!!!!! Now and then within the flow of the game, yes, but do not make a steady diet of shooting 3s!!!

sun

Reaction Score
Nika should have taken a few shots, it shows weakness if a PG doesn't take any.
They all missed shots and made bad passes that subsequently led to turnovers anyway.
She shouldn't be so concerned about missing shots since shooting when open is part of the job.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Looked to me like Coach directed team to get Amari looks and wanted her to shoot. Like so many (e.g. "zero for America") she may need a string of attempts to feel the rhythm in game. They were also trying to feed Piath in the paint. And others all turned down opportunities.

Also I liked seeing the player rotation throughout the game.

Wilderness
There have been posters saying they want to see DeBerry and Piath get playing time. Well, last night DeBerry came in early and played quite a few minutes and Piath got in with over three minutes to play. It was obvious DeBerry was nervous and not sure where to be on offense. However, the longer they both played the more it seemed they relaxed and when Geno told them to shoot, they seemed to relax even more knowing their coach would not yell at them. It was obvious to those who know basketball the plan was to get the ball to the two big players. There could have been fast breaks but the team slowed it so they could set up to get the ball to Piath and DeBerry just as you stated. Yet, there are posts complaining UConn was outscored in the fourth quarter and UConn had another poor fourth quarter. Some people are going to complain no matter what. Butler was 1 and 11 but the game was on the schedule and had to be played. There will be more like it, and it will help the bench to get better. I don't remember posting that this game was an indication of where the team is. Take the win and be glad they beat them as badly as they did. If they had struggled, people would be complaining about that.

Reaction Score
That was a solid performance against one the worst , if not the worst team in division 1 basketball. I don't think it says anything about where this UConn team is.
Bad but nowhere near the worst (not even in bottom 50 for Massey), though they were a bit short handed last night.
UHart may be the worst team in D1.

Reaction Score
I also am a Nika fan. The most noticeable impact she makes is how she brings up the ball. Geno wants to push the pace and so far Nika is the only guard on the team (including Paige) that pushes the pace on virtually every possession. Love it!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Whew, that felt better.

Good
  • We beat an over-matched team badly. Just like we're supposed to
  • Everyone (available) got to play. Been awhile since that happened
  • 5 (almost 6) players in double figures scoring
  • 25 assists / 7 TOs Much, much better
  • Another good defensive effort
Bad
  • Still not shooting as well as we should 47%/32% and 56% FTs (would really like to hit 50% shooting and closer to 37% 3pt and of course north of 70% FTs)
  • Posters (some). We demolish a team we should and we still get Debby Downers on here. If this game didn't make you smile a bit, you may want to try another team or another sport.
To be fair, a lot of the missed shots were in the fourth quarter when there was a weird lineup of people not used to playing together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom