Butler Postgame Thread [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Butler Postgame Thread [merged thread]

Reaction Score
I think I heard him correctly. He says he had to dumb it down and take the thinking out of it for the 3 seniors so they wouldn't have to worry about what plays to run next. And that's how they were able to have a productive game against Butler. Butler.
That makes a lot of sense to me. It was clear that the seniors, especially Evina, were too focused on running the offense instead of playing offensively. At this point, none of them are learning any new chapters and verses on offense so best to let them have at it with only a partial structure. It will be better for us in the long run. They have a lot of talent. It just has to get unleashed!

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Butler game:

*. I know Butler isn’t particularly good, and the Bulldogs were further hindered by their own struggles with Covid, but it sure was nice to watch a UConn blowout for a change
*. I had a feeling Geno would give Nika the start at pg. She brings great energy to the team and I think it lets Evina relax and play her game without the pressure of starting at the point.
*. I can not wait for the day Caroline Ducharme is on the same court together with a healthy Paige Bueckers and a healthy Azzi Fudd. I don’t know if there are 3 more versatile scorers on any team in the country.
*. It’s worth noting that in each of the last 2 games, Liv has looked much more comfortable shooting from 15-20’, even knocking down a 3 today. Add Liv’s outside shooting to Dorka’s and it is potentially a huge development, forcing other teams to defend both UConn Bigs away from the basket, while opening up the lane for UConn’s guards to attack the basket.
*. I know it was against Butler but this was a good game for all 3 senior captains, and hopefully a confidence booster for the big games to come.
*. Nice to see extended minutes for Amari & Piath. Hoping they both eventually become contributors for the Huskies.
*. I love historic Hinkle Fieldhouse. I don’t know if there’s a better on campus facility in America.
Gurl do you really want to be tempting fate like that?
We still had a few in the game chat.
It is not easy to complain when the team is playing Butler...especially, this Butler. They bulldog actually did better than I thought they would. But they aren't winning many games this year.As for the lady huskies;

1. Good for coach, starting Nika. And it helped Westbrook as well. I wonder what the medical people are saying about controlling Nika's minutes for a while? Happily, she looks fine and dandy on the court.

2. Good for coach using this opportunity to give DeBerrry significant minutes. I think her stats look better than she played. But if she is the talent we hope her to be, court time will be critical. She was 0-7 by my count, but that didn't make her go into a shell. Which is a good thing. But she doesn't look, yet, like a super star aborning.

3. Good for coach giving Piath a bit of time. What I don't understand however, is why both DeBerry and Piath play as though it is a first time experience for them. They were both pretty useless, let's be honest. On both ends of the court. And we are not talking about playing vs. Boston from South Carolina. You are all going to tell me that it is harder for BIGs, than it is for guards, right? But DeBerry ( per Geno ) may be " the most natural BIG we have had in years." If so, where are the moves that make her so? I want her to her great and I want it now!

4. Caroline ( it is easier for guards, right?) continues to impress. She really is " long" and that helps her defense immensely. What a treat to watch her game improve week by week.

5. Azzi is going to work on the treadmill soon? It will be fun to watch her get ready for action. I still think it will be February before we see her on the court.

6. Good to hear that Aubrey's surgery went well. UCONN Ladies have really taken the hammer on injuries this year.

7. Yes, and a shout out to Olivia. She was draining those outside shots like Lou. And her entire game is strong. She is emerging as a force who could make a big difference in big games. All our people in the paint are growing.

Reaction Score
I do believe that the one thing we have all learned in the past week is how valuable Nika is to this team.
Bringing the ball up and tenacious defense- much more important than any lack of scoring.
JMHO
I would add that her energy and focus are contagious. She, as Geno reiterated in the post game presser ( after again crediting her insertion into the starting lineup for the turn around the team made in second half of the season last year), makes a positive impact on how the team plays on both ends of the floor. I was really glad to hear him say that he intended to take advantage of that going forward. It was very apparent to me that there was a definite difference in the flow when Nika wasn't in the game last night. I think if her minutes weren't limited we would have seen a decent amount of her in the fourth quarter resulting in it looking a lot more like the first three.

In response to Sun's comment above 'Nika should have taken a few shots, it shows weakness if a PG doesn't take any'. Maybe she should - I know that is the most oft cited criticism of her, that she needs to put up more points. But I believe she is never focused on how many points she scores or actually any of her personal stats but rather her total focus is on the team's performance on each possession. I believe the key for her is if the team has a great offensive position and if the team has a great defensive stop. You can see it in her reactions. She fist pumps, screams, runs to her teammate and high fives or chest bumps on just about every positive play any of her teammates make. She draws and exudes energy from successful team play.

Her lack of emphasis on personal stats may be one of the contentious points that Geno sees as part of her stubbornness that he feels she has to overcome. Pure conjecture on my part, but if that is the case I think we will see her make whatever adjustments over time that he feels she needs to make. I base that on previous comments Nika has made and from the in game piece by Maria that make it quite apparent that Nika has tremendous respect for Geno's knowledge and for what she has gained having him as her coach.

I am unabashedly a Fan of her game and am in full agreement with Geno's assessment that she is unique and that there is no one else on the team quite like her. If I was a player on the team I would love being on the floor with her.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I can’t get excited about playing a team that is 1-11. What can this team do with teams that are in the top 25?
I feel the exact same way but opposite.

Sorry, other than the SC game I can't get too excited for any other UCONN loss because they didn't even come close to playing anything near what a healthy UCONN would be. That goes for the fans that get excited too from the losses too. Quite a few hollow victories for the other teams, isn't that right?

Reaction Score
I would add that her energy and focus are contagious. She, as Geno reiterated in the post game presser ( after again crediting her insertion into the starting lineup for the turn around the team made in second half of the season last year), makes a positive impact on how the team plays on both ends of the floor. I was really glad to hear him say that he intended to take advantage of that going forward. It was very apparent to me that there was a definite difference in the flow when Nika wasn't in the game last night. I think if her minutes weren't limited we would have seen a decent amount of her in the fourth quarter resulting in it looking a lot more like the first three.

In response to Sun's comment above 'Nika should have taken a few shots, it shows weakness if a PG doesn't take any'. Maybe she should - I know that is the most oft cited criticism of her, that she needs to put up more points. But I believe she is never focused on how many points she scores or actually any of her personal stats but rather her total focus is on the team's performance on each possession. I believe the key for her is if the team has a great offensive position and if the team has a great defensive stop. You can see it in her reactions. She fist pumps, screams, runs to her teammate and high fives or chest bumps on just about every positive play any of her teammates make. She draws and exudes energy from successful team play.

Her lack of emphasis on personal stats may be one of the contentious points that Geno sees as part of her stubbornness that he feels she has to overcome. Pure conjecture on my part, but if that is the case I think we will see her make whatever adjustments over time that he feels she needs to make. I base that on previous comments Nika has made and from the in game piece by Maria that make it quite apparent that Nika has tremendous respect for Geno's knowledge and for what she has gained having him as her coach.

I am unabashedly a Fan of her game and am in full agreement with Geno's assessment that she is unique and that there is no one else on the team quite like her. If I was a player on the team I would love being on the floor with her.
Insightful observations.
Superlativey stated.
Could not agree more.

Reaction Score
That makes a lot of sense to me. It was clear that the seniors, especially Evina, were too focused on running the offense instead of playing offensively. At this point, none of them are learning any new chapters and verses on offense so best to let them have at it with only a partial structure. It will be better for us in the long run. They have a lot of talent. It just has to get unleashed!
This is why Paige is so so special. She can do it all and still has to be the coach on the court.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think I heard him correctly. He says he had to dumb it down and take the thinking out of it for the 3 seniors so they wouldn't have to worry about what plays to run next. And that's how they were able to have a productive game against Butler. Butler.
I recall a game a few years ago when Crystal went over to Geno during a FT stoppage and told him the team did not know the plays. Some players excel at this; some do not. Geno needs to figure out what is the proper grade level to speak.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I recall a game a few years ago when Crystal went over to Geno during a FT stoppage and told him the team did not know the plays. Some players excel at this; some do not. Geno needs to figure out what is the proper grade level to speak.
Yes, some players excel at freelancing and some players excel in a structured offense. You sound as if you know something about basketball. ;)

Reaction Score
Whew, that felt better.

Good
  • We beat an over-matched team badly. Just like we're supposed to
  • Everyone (available) got to play. Been awhile since that happened
  • 5 (almost 6) players in double figures scoring
  • 25 assists / 7 TOs Much, much better
  • Another good defensive effort
Bad
  • Still not shooting as well as we should 47%/32% and 56% FTs (would really like to hit 50% shooting and closer to 37% 3pt and of course north of 70% FTs)
  • Posters (some). We demolish a team we should and we still get Debby Downers on here. If this game didn't make you smile a bit, you may want to try another team or another sport.
I think the shooting percentages of the first 3 quarters are more meaningful to look at rather than the numbers with the mop up 4th where a lot of shots were missed.

Reaction Score
It is not easy to complain when the team is playing Butler...especially, this Butler. They bulldog actually did better than I thought they would. But they aren't winning many games this year.As for the lady huskies;

1. Good for coach, starting Nika. And it helped Westbrook as well. I wonder what the medical people are saying about controlling Nika's minutes for a while? Happily, she looks fine and dandy on the court.

2. Good for coach using this opportunity to give DeBerrry significant minutes. I think her stats look better than she played. But if she is the talent we hope her to be, court time will be critical. She was 0-7 by my count, but that didn't make her go into a shell. Which is a good thing. But she doesn't look, yet, like a super star aborning.

3. Good for coach giving Piath a bit of time. What I don't understand however, is why both DeBerry and Piath play as though it is a first time experience for them. They were both pretty useless, let's be honest. On both ends of the court. And we are not talking about playing vs. Boston from South Carolina. You are all going to tell me that it is harder for BIGs, than it is for guards, right? But DeBerry ( per Geno ) may be " the most natural BIG we have had in years." If so, where are the moves that make her so? I want her to her great and I want it now!

4. Caroline ( it is easier for guards, right?) continues to impress. She really is " long" and that helps her defense immensely. What a treat to watch her game improve week by week.

5. Azzi is going to work on the treadmill soon? It will be fun to watch her get ready for action. I still think it will be February before we see her on the court.

6. Good to hear that Aubrey's surgery went well. UCONN Ladies have really taken the hammer on injuries this year.

7. Yes, and a shout out to Olivia. She was draining those outside shots like Lou. And her entire game is strong. She is emerging as a force who could make a big difference in big games. All our people in the paint are growing.
Deberry had some good assist numbers so I wouldn't say useless.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think the shooting percentages of the first 3 quarters are more meaningful to look at rather than the numbers with the mop up 4th where a lot of shots were missed.
I would disagree. I think that is the reason, but that just means they need to shoot better either in the first 3 periods or in the 4th.

There are years where they have shot >50% for the year, including the mop up 4th quarters. This team is just trying to get to 50% for a game.

At this point in the season, this is a team that is shooting poorer than normal UCONN teams. And I understand there are a lot of reasons for that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom