Buffalo Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Buffalo Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
That's the best UConn has looked in many years. Buffalo isn't bad and we made them look terrible. Total domination on both lines and we ran all over them. Both our coordinators called a great game. Sammis really growing and Brock called a perfect game defensively, his energy was also awesome. The team is confident and playing with a chip on their shoulder, it's exciting to see.

One last thing, Fagnano is clearly better than Evers and he should be starting from here on out whether Evers is healthy or not. Evers can't throw and Fagnano can, Bell is our biggest weapon and he's taken out of the game when Evers is playing. What Evers gives the team on the ground isn't nearly good enough to outweigh him not being a passing threat. We have a great offensive line and great running backs, we need to have a passer back there and that's Fagnano.
Please stop turning a good day, a good win and probably the best team we’ve seen in a decade in to a post angling for your qb. If he was better, he’d start. He’s too 1 dimensional and missed a ton of throws. He’s really good and I’m impressed with him, but you’re desire to try and create controversy is just poor form, imho.

Reaction Score
a few weeks ago I was okay with letting Evers develop in game, with the hope it would lead to a breakout year 2 and 3. Frankly, I thought that way because I didn’t think UConn was good and wasn’t going anywhere this season

But after completely dog walking two teams that were essentially pick ‘em games, this season can be THE season to turn it around. In that case you have to go with what is working better now, and after today it is clear to me that it is Fagnano

Evers will get his time. He shows real flashes of potential and just needs some time to get there

Reaction Score
Are we good now?

If we continue to play like this our 'statement' games will be Wake and 'Cuse.....which interestingly enough hosts the U the week after we visit the dome. But we should, at a minimum, beat Temple, Rice and UMASS which would give us 5 FBS victories. The other two opponents are Georgia State and UAB. Don't know much about either but those G5 teams out of the deep South always seem to give us a load of problems.

Reaction Score
I've been to two games this year and we absolutely destroyed both teams, missed the FAU game. Thrilled to watch our defense just shut teams down and our offense to actually be an offense, we have weapons and are willing to use them. The crowd that is there is noisy but it's still far from filled, we could have an electric atmosphere at home if we could just get fans to show up. We know it's not ticket prices keeping them away because the money that flows at concessions is wild.

Reaction Score
Please stop turning a good day, a good win and probably the best team we’ve seen in a decade in to a post angling for your qb. If he was better, he’d start. He’s too 1 dimensional and missed a ton of throws. He’s really good and I’m impressed with him, but you’re desire to try and create controversy is just poor form, imho.
I'm not doing any of what you say I'm doing. Fagnano isn't my guy, Evers isn't my guy. I don't know any of them or have any favorites. Fagnano has shown he's a much better passer than Evers at this point in their college careers. I want the guy starting who gives us the best chance to win and Fagnano is that guy. Our line is great as is our running game. Teams will start stacking the box and we need to be able to take advantage with the passing game.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm not doing any of what you say I'm doing. Fagnano isn't my guy, Evers isn't my guy. I don't know any of them or have any favorites. Fagnano has shown he's a much better passer than Evers at this point in their college careers. I want the guy starting who gives us the best chance to win and Fagnano is that guy. Our line is great as is our running game. Teams will start stacking the box and we need to be able to take advantage with the passing game.
Teams stacked the box against Evers too, and we still scored at will.

I'm in the camp that thinks that both QBs have their positives and negatives. But I'm putting my faith in Mora's decisions. He's already shown he's earned that right. If things continue, he'll have taken UConn to bowl games in 2 out of his first 3 years...a team that made winning 2 games a season look impossible...

Reaction Score

You're simply out of your mind if you are calling Fagnano one dimensional and not saying the same about Evers. Fagnano can run better than Evers can pass. And there is simply no debate over who the better passer is.

And it's simply untrue that they would start Fagnano if he was better. Evers is starting because they are making good on a promise made in the NIL space and UConn Football needs to be a player in that space.

Reaction Score
The reason the transitive property does not obtain in football is the law of strengths and weaknesses. Some teams are able to exploit a given vulnerability in an opponent, and other, stronger teams in almost all other aspects of the game, cannot. Thus the results from week to week are often puzzling.

This may play into UConn's next few games. None of the home games this season have featured teams with a potent passing attack. The D has looked awesome. But let's see if UConn can shut down a competent passing attack.

Reactions: OEX
Reaction Score
The reason the transitive property does not obtain in football is the law of strengths and weaknesses. Some teams are able to exploit a given vulnerability in an opponent, and other, stronger teams in almost all other aspects of the game, cannot. Thus the results from week to week are often puzzling.

This may play into UConn's next few games. None of the home games this season have featured teams with a potent passing attack. The D has looked awesome. But let's see if UConn can shut down a competent passing attack.
RS, you thinking Temple passing will test us? Serious question, not snark or sarcasm. What are our keys to shutting it down? Thanks.

Reaction Score
That was so awesome to watch, the defense was dominant and Skyler is proving himself to be one of the best WRs in the country, he shoulda had 4 TDs today, against a buffalo team that didn’t allow a td pass so far this season and that’s with playing mizzou already, just really impressive

Reaction Score
Fagnano is also still very inaccurate and throws the wrong kind of ball at times. Lots of passes were too high, too low, behind. He threw a line drive to the corner of the end zone when a floater was needed. Our WR could never catch up to it. The long throw to Bell early in the 3rd that the Buffalo DB caught up to and swatted away had too much air. He overthrew another easy pass to a wide-open receiver that should have been a TD. I think you get my point. Fagnano is a serviceable/good QB, but he’s kinda at his ceiling. Evers brings more to the table for potential but is clearly a work in progress.

Enough with the nitpicking. Great win today!!!
I dont get the complaints here. It’s odd. Fagano has a strong arm, but is erratic more than inaccurate. The better the team, the more consistent you have to be.

As far as Evers slant…that is a nit, he was a hair off target.

Evers is gonna be more efficient and is a danger with his legs. Fagano early the better pocket passer at this point in career and is willing to throw it deeper.

Reaction Score
If you’re arguing that evers should be our starting QB going forward you’re wrong, and you don’t know ball.
Meh. I think its 50-50. Lets see fagano against better teams. They have had 1000 yards of offense regardless of who is QB.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I was hoping for more people to show up to the game today, but the ones that were there were loud and proud. I got to meet @BlueandOG today along with his family, which was great.

Hoping we get some more butts in the seats for next week against Temple, because this team deserves it...
Wish I could be there again next weekend but the one week I'm coming to CT from TX this fall is on our week with Temple and the bye week! The good news is (for me anyway) that I will be on Nantucket with my son on Oct 5 for the opening weekend of scallop season. I plan to be shucking and frying while we do the same to Temple.

Reaction Score
I spent a few minutes of a Buffalo message board. They complained about 2 things, their lack of offense (saying oht defense wasn't even that good) and that UConn spend way more money in NILs than they did.

Reaction Score
I dont get the complaints here. It’s odd. Fagano has a strong arm, but is erratic more than inaccurate. The better the team, the more consistent you have to be.

As far as Evers slant…that is a nit, he was a hair off target.

Evers is gonna be more efficient and is a danger with his legs. Fagano early the better pocket passer at this point in career and is willing to throw it deeper.

Guess I don’t understand your reply.

You’re actually giving a summary of my specific examples…so I think we agree. Fagnano made a bunch of inaccurate throws today (some of which were still caught) sandwiched in between some decent throws. The Evers slant was no worse than many of JF’s balls.

It stinks that Evers got hurt (and I hope he can recover quickly) because by the end of the game, Skyler Bell’s talent made JF’s passing numbers look very gaudy. Would have loved to see if Evers could have thrown those balls to him, as well

Reaction Score
Meh. I think its 50-50. Lets see fagano against better teams. They have had 1000 yards of offense regardless of who is QB.
10 td passes to 1. At some point, you have to trust what you see. Getting the ball to WRs where they can do something with it isn't really something that shows up on a stat sheet.

Reaction Score
I spent a few minutes of a Buffalo message board. They complained about 2 things, their lack of offense (saying oht defense wasn't even that good) and that UConn spend way more money in NILs than they did.
lol. Good. We shouldn’t be playing in the same stratosphere as Buffalo.

Reaction Score
RS, you thinking Temple passing will test us? Serious question, not snark or sarcasm. What are our keys to shutting it down? Thanks.
My understand is that they suck this year. But as someone who posted previously has said, UConn is not yet in a position that they can look past a team like Temple to concentrate on Wake. Temple might just have a particular strength that can exploit a previously unrevealed UConn vulnerability. One down at a time, one possession at a time, one quarter at a time, one game at a time. But I have hope. This team seems to have workmanlike qualities.

Reaction Score
Four wins of next seven would NOT be great. Would I have taken 7-5 coming off the Maryland loss? Absolutely. But from where we are today, I will be disappointed if we don’t get to at least 8-4, and I do not think that is the ceiling.
"old guy" would love 8 and 4...Perhaps I am to afraid to reach for the stars. I haven't seen a full game, so only go by posts on the boneyard. I will accept 8 and 4 as the target....Great turnaround for sure. Fan since the Yankee conference days...Hope fans turnout for the next game....Large crowd would help energize the team. Go Huskies and thanks for the posts....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom