Buffalo post game thread (merged thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Buffalo post game thread (merged thread)

Reaction Score
Not pretty, even Collier faltered. Lou played 40 minutes, her shot was off, but still came away with 17 points and 9 boards. Her passing was sensational as usual. Too bad she doesn't have her to pass to her. She was open and ignored too many times. That has to change. She'll be ready.

Reaction Score
Not pretty, even Collier faltered. Lou played 40 minutes, her shot was off, but still came away with 17 points and 9 boards. Her passing was sensational as usual. Too bad she doesn't have her to pass to her. She was open and ignored too many times. That has to change. She'll be ready.
How did Collier falter? She nearly had a triple double.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Who then would you say had a great game?? No one was near Uconn level of play tonight. A soph and 2 frosh in their 2n'd and tough NCAA game---did well.

Did we watch different games? Collier had a great game. She was the reason that UConn held on to win. Samuelson and Williams contributed. Walker, ONO and Dangerfield were awful.

Reaction Score
"It's said" that every team in the field will play one stinker. Often it's the second round. Tonight qualifies.

I think UConn lost interest late in the 1st period when Williams got called for a feather foul for the 2nd time. From then on till the end, with a couple of short stretches in the 2nd half, UConn settled for open 3's, and the loss of focus carried over to their shooting and their defense. They forgot that at the end of the 1st period Buff realized that there were but 30 minutes left to their season and they played desperately and effectively.

There is still a tendency for the 3 upperclassmen to try and "do it themselves" late in tight games. They aren't that sort of players and when they try it ends up with long scoreless streaks. Tonight it didn't hurt them but only because Buff's offense was one player. UConn needs to put a dagger in teams when they get up to big leads.

As for the officiating, refs who call a lot of fouls one way often try to even things out. Buff fouled a lot early yet only Williams had to sit. The turning point was when Morrison got called for a legit foul, whined and got a T. She had to sit with 4 fouls. That's when Geno should have put in Irwin or Coombs with orders to foul because the refs were going to call a couple to "even things out". By the end 4 of UConn's 5 starters had 4 fouls. That alone is an aberration not seen since last they played in Maples.

Reaction Score
If ESPN box score is correct how did buffalo get 76 fog attempts to our 63 when rebounds were even?

And I do think MC should have gotten some burn
Nobody had a good.great game, statistically wise at least.
If you think missing 4 FT's and 4 turnovers and 4 PF's equates to having a Great game, then our opinions are not in the same ballpark, or forum.
12-15
How exactly did Collier falter? 12-15 FG, 27 Pts, 16 Rb, 8 Ast - almost a triple double. Seems like you're dumping on Napheesa to pump up Katie Lou. #notnice. You can praise your favorite player without putting down another.

Reaction Score
Who then would you say had a great game?? No one was near Uconn level of play tonight. A soph and 2 frosh in their 2n'd and tough NCAA game---did well.
Napheesa had a great game (as usual), look up her numbers. She was 2 assists short of a triple double. CW also played really well in the first half, before she went out with the 2 fouls. Katie Lou played pretty well, all things considered. She missed a few too many 3s, which might be due to conditioning due to sitting out for a few games. Here's hoping she'll be back to tip top shape by the Sweet 16 round. I agree with everyone who has stated that the many foul calls took the players out of rhythm.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
They were definitely better than their 10 seed suggests.

Buffalo need not hang their heads. They almost came all the way back. They introduced themselves to the entire country via national TV. This game will also serve as a great recruiting tool for their coaches and the program.

When you can go into a recruit’s home and tell them your team went two games into the national tournament, for a mid-major program, that’s impressive. They are a well coached team devoid of height that came to Storrs and gave UConn a serious run. I’m very impressed with this program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Lou was 1-6 for three pointer, I don’t know if more passes to her would help.

Reaction Score
Buffalo need not hang their heads. They almost came all the way back. They introduced themselves to the entire country via national TV. This game will also serve as a great recruiting tool for their coaches and the program.

When you can go into a recruit’s home and tell them your team went two games into the national tournament, for a mid-major program, that’s impressive. They are a well coached team devoid of height that came to Storrs and gave UConn a serious run. I’m very impressed with this program.
It might not be too good a thing. In this country, most of the parents think their kids are the smartest and deserve the best. And unfortunately lots of kids believe what their parents’ words.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Great song even though it is a Vietnam war protest song (I am a Vietnam Era Veteran).
(I hope that this isn't against the "no politics rule :eek:.)
Back to the OP...
I'll vote that you be allowed to stay.

Reaction Score
I was very surprised Mikayla Coombs didn’t play. A fast defender was needed.
I wonder if Geno was afraid that these foul- happy refs wouldn't allow Mikayla to play her stifling defense. Without that part of her game, she wouldn't contribute much.

Reaction Score
If Dillard did this to us imagine what Durr is going to do to us again. Geno has to play Coombs because Dangerfield defense is good for 1 quarter and that’s about it

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
As for the officiating, refs who call a lot of fouls one way often try to even things out. Buff fouled a lot early yet only Williams had to sit. The turning point was when Morrison got called for a legit foul, whined and got a T. She had to sit with 4 fouls. That's when Geno should have put in Irwin or Coombs with orders to foul because the refs were going to call a couple to "even things out". By the end 4 of UConn's 5 starters had 4 fouls. That alone is an aberration not seen since last they played in Maples.
I think I yelled "makeup call!" three times during the game.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
When we start missing shots, it can fall apart in a hurry. Was surprised to see how “off” Walker seemed tonight.
She looked consistently to deep (under the basket). If so, that's readily correctable.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Thank god for Collier. We couldn’t buy a bucket late in the game. I thought Lou played hard but her offense is limited from her injury I think. Lots of open looks and misses and when near the basket she can’t jump high enough to separate for a 6’3”. Dangerfield did not play well and Megan didn’t either. In the end it’s win and advance but we need crystal and Megan to play better. I do believe that Lou will get better each game. Let’s hope for a consistent effort for the entire game going forward.
KLS had an excuse. But Megan and Dangerfield do not. Some of the things Dangerfield did was inexcusable. Walker played the same way against Baylor. If she and Dangerfield had played and shot better, UConn could have scored close to 100 points and there would not have been so much tension. The team that had Stewart and Tuck on it were trailing by one point at half time in a game against I believe, Drake, but went on to win it all. Last year's team did not struggle before the FF. Maybe this is a good sign. They won a game in which they were out played for much of the game and still won. I hope this is the last bad game they play from here on out, unless they win the next bad game they play.

Reaction Score
Our offense was not a problem until the 4th Q. We were missing shots and they were closing the gap. we appeared to be panicked as the 4th Q went on. Instead of being patient and running the offense we were driving into a bunch of players, throwing bad passes or taking ill advised shots . Buffalo was killing us all nite on the offensive boards and this kept them in the game. I don't know how many times I saw two of our players standing there on the back side and let a Buff player swoop in and grab the rebound with no attempt to box out. Pheesa was having her way pretty much inside and we did not take enough advantage of this in the 4th. Our defense is not going to become great overnite. we are going to have to rely on scoring to win going forward. This could work out unless we have a 4th q like last nite again.

Reaction Score
KLS had an excuse. But Megan and Dangerfield do not. Some of the things Dangerfield did was inexcusable. Walker played the same way against Baylor. If she and Dangerfield had played and shot better, UConn could have scored close to 100 points and there would not have been so much tension. The team that had Stewart and Tuck on it were trailing by one point at half time in a game against I believe, Drake, but went on to win it all. Last year's team did not struggle before the FF. Maybe this is a good sign. They won a game in which they were out played for much of the game and still won. I hope this is the last bad game they play from here on out, unless they win the next bad game they play.
I think that you are referring to the Dayton game not Drake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom