Buffalo post game thread (merged thread) | The Boneyard

Buffalo post game thread (merged thread)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the game:

• Buffalo is one tough team. Dillard is a handful, even on one leg. A little surprised Geno didn’t give Mikayla a shot at her.
  • Lou was moving better today, although she looked more winded playing her 2nd game in 3 days.
  • Unusual to see so many UConn players in foul trouble. Again, credit to Buffalo for constantly crashing the boards and taking it at the Huskies every chance they got.
  • Survive and advance. See everyone in Albany

Reaction Score
Lots of points left on the table (11 or 12 missed free throws.). UConn will need those points going forward. That’s too many.

Walker couldn’t buy a basket it seemed like.

Rebounding was atrocious in first half.

Horrendous 4th quarter.

Crystal played her worst game of the season.

Buffalo is darn good. Much more aggressive than UConn tonight. Looked like they wanted it more to be honest.

Lots to clean up and out of time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Truly. One of the worst performances in memory. Don’t remember seeing that much fouling and traveling before.
For what it's worth, this Buffalo team put up 82 points at Oregon and they gave Stanford a scare, before losing by 7. Last year, they also gave SC and Aja Wilson a scare in the Sweet 16. The Bulls are for real.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, this Buffalo team put up 82 points at Oregon and they gave Stanford a scare, before losing by 7. Last year, they also gave SC and Aja Wilson a scare in the Sweet 16. The Bulls are for real.

I remember what they did to USF in the dance last year. Whipped them good.

Reaction Score
Credit the heart and hustle of Buffalo. Every bit as much passion and grit as advertised.

If Napheeesa had not played to her usual stratospheric standards, we would have lost this game.

Megan Walker needs to immediately get under the basket and practice making layups, because it's become clear to me that her ongoing problems finishing the bunnies are a feature and not a bug.

I won't even get started on Crystal's decision making in this game, except to say that I don't expect to see anything approaching that again for the rest of the tournament.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I have to say that Lou had a fall early and looked like she was hurting from then on. She looked uncomfortable and in a certain amount of stress on her shots and on defense, though she'll probably never say a word about it.

Reaction Score
Composure and mental toughness still a concern in pressure situations with this group.

We played great out of the gate, but where was the killer instinct?

Looked like MSU and ND all over again, except that we played well enough in the first 8 minutes to start with a 20-point cushion.

Reaction Score
Any teams going forward against UConn that attack the basket will put tremendous pressure on UConn’s defense. UConn is really slow laterally on defense. They really struggle stopping dribble penetration. That will be a huge problem against Louisville, If UConn makes it that far.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Not worth much in my opinion OD. I thought it was all about UConn. 62% at the FT line, 26% at the arc and Dangerfield's 4th qtr brain fart.

Reaction Score
When players other than the seniors and CD are generating offense, UConn's offense soars. Like in the ND game, and also in the 1st Q of this game. It takes a weight off those three and makes us tougher to defend. When it's all on those three, things can get tight.

So I guess I'm saying that I'll be rooting hard for future strong performances from Walker, Williams, ONO, etc. I think we're gonna need it.

Reaction Score
So what do you think if Dillard doesn't sprain her ankle. I did not realize we had so many players with 4 fouls. I could see Dillard picking them off one by one at the end or else getting uncontested 3's. Seems like we should have tried Coombs to slow her down and if need be absorb some of the fouls. I would not have asked Collier to guard her, even for a few minutes. Collier is too valuable for us. Seems like every time we opened up a lead we ran out of gas. End of first, end of second, end of third middle of the fourth. This is one inconsistent team. I guess Geno is right, no surprise about that, we have some real deficiencies he has to hide.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom