Buffalo post game thread (merged thread) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Buffalo post game thread (merged thread)

Reaction Score
Lots of points left on the table (11 or 12 missed free throws.). UConn will need those points going forward. That’s too many.

Walker couldn’t buy a basket it seemed like.

Rebounding was atrocious in first half.

Horrendous 4th quarter.

Crystal played her worst game of the season.

Buffalo is darn good. Much more aggressive than UConn tonight. Looked like they wanted it more to be honest.

Lots to clean up and out of time.
Good summary. I think Megan and ODO, between them, misses 6 lay-ups.

I agree that Buffalo was far more hungry and energetic. Somewhat due to the fact that they had a deeper bench, so there could be a few breathers for starters.

I do not agree that Katy moved better. She looked slow and wary. Her lack of flexibility and " bounce" impacted her shot....which was fine early and futile later. She also got knocked around a lot. By the 4th quarter, she wa playing at about 70% of ability.

Only Pheesa was reliable yesterday and she pretty much had to do it all. Dangerfield did have a poor game. Poor decisions, turnovers, and shooting. Megan was still a battler despite her misses of open shots under the basket.

Wiliams was upbeat and confident early, and then got frightened. At one point, only Phessa wa willing and able to shoot.

There was panic and disorganization as Buffalo kept coming back and coming back.

That "all star" of Buffalo's team ( the one who played after being carried off the court ) is a superstar. I would take her any day for our team.

It was surprising that Coombs got no shot.

I believe we can beat either Maryland or UCLA if we play well. But if we play like yesterday, we can also lose.

Objectively, I think Lou is hurting more than we know. ODO is not going to blossom into a star this season. And we won't beat ND, Baylor or Miss. State wherever or whenever we meet them. I have grave doubts about Louisville as well.

Oh well. I am often wrong.

Reaction Score
The refs called a game that was hard to watch. But in the win, there may be a positive in that this may be what we see from how games are called when we have to defend great guards. Lets be honest, if we limit a few more offensive rebounds, make a few more free throws and convert on easy layups, this game would've been as we expected a 20+ point game. Chrystin and CD being out of the game caused issues for us so I think we may need to bring MC and ONO in a little earlier so in the second half none of the starting five are out for important stretches.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A side note. I was watching on TV and it seemed the Buffalo fan support was intense by the 4Q (outsceaming the UConn faithful). By headcount, what fraction of the crowd were Buffalo supporters?
Every non-UConn fan was a Buffalo fan. I bet mist of them were Rutgers fans

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The refs called a game that was hard to watch. But in the win, there may be a positive in that this may be what we see from how games are called when we have to defend great guards. Lets be honest, if we limit a few more offensive rebounds, make a few more free throws and convert on easy layups, this game would've been as we expected a 20+ point game. Chrystin and CD being out of the game caused issues for us so I think we may need to bring MC and ONO in a little earlier so in the second half none of the starting five are out for important stretches.

I don't think Mikayla was a good defensive matchup on Dillard. Dillard is not fast but a master manipulator who relies on defensive overplay and miscues. Mikayla would have likely been baited out of position too much.

Mikayla should find more significiant minutes on more traditional speed guards

Reaction Score
Do the arms of the defender really have to be straight up. I can see that is the rule in the post, they always are saying of ONO, keep the hands up, don't swipe down. But out on the perimeter, I don't think I ever see arms straight up. Maybe they can be out to the side but not out in front. Or you can have them in front but if the player with the ball shoots you have to move your hand away, which is probably impossible, no one has reflexes that good, or you better just hit all ball, and hope the ref sees it that way. But if all this is the case, shouldn't all UConn players know by the end of freshman year, you can't defend with an arm out front? So why was Lou doing it? Tired? Careless, because of being a little bit hurt and beat up? I think the above post is spot on as I think about it, Mikayla probably would have over reacted to Dillard's moves, and Geno knew that. I am starting to appreciate how special Jefferson was as a defender, like the game against Mabry. Shut her down without fouling.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't think Mikayla was a good defensive matchup on Dillard. Dillard is not fast but a master manipulator who relies on defensive overplay and miscues. Mikayla would have likely been baited out of position too much.

Mikayla should find more significiant minutes on more traditional speed guards
Could she have guarded any worse than the ones who guarded Dillard? That explanation, imo, is not a good one. Mikayla is quick enough to stay in position.

Reaction Score
"It's said" that every team in the field will play one stinker. Often it's the second round. Tonight qualifies.

I think UConn lost interest late in the 1st period when Williams got called for a feather foul for the 2nd time. From then on till the end, with a couple of short stretches in the 2nd half, UConn settled for open 3's, and the loss of focus carried over to their shooting and their defense. They forgot that at the end of the 1st period Buff realized that there were but 30 minutes left to their season and they played desperately and effectively.

There is still a tendency for the 3 upperclassmen to try and "do it themselves" late in tight games. They aren't that sort of players and when they try it ends up with long scoreless streaks. Tonight it didn't hurt them but only because Buff's offense was one player. UConn needs to put a dagger in teams when they get up to big leads.

As for the officiating, refs who call a lot of fouls one way often try to even things out. Buff fouled a lot early yet only Williams had to sit. The turning point was when Morrison got called for a legit foul, whined and got a T. She had to sit with 4 fouls. That's when Geno should have put in Irwin or Coombs with uple to "even things out". By the end 4 of UConn's 5 starters had 4 fouls. That alone is an aberration not seen since last they played in Maples.
Question for the experts: Can Geno to have the Refs video the Foul KLS committed from 3 ft away?? TV showed a gap between them of 3 ft???
I agree with most, not all you posted. The Refs wanted to be seen on National TV--too many calls for ticky tack and none for blatant fouls. The end of game fouling should be call as it really is INTENTIONAL.

Reaction Score
Do the arms of the defender really have to be straight up. I can see that is the rule in the post, they always are saying of ONO, keep the hands up, don't swipe down. But out on the perimeter, I don't think I ever see arms straight up. Maybe they can be out to the side but not out in front. Or you can have them in front but if the player with the ball shoots you have to move your hand away, which is probably impossible, no one has reflexes that good, or you better just hit all ball, and hope the ref sees it that way. But if all this is the case, shouldn't all UConn players know by the end of freshman year, you can't defend with an arm out front? So why was Lou doing it? Tired? Careless, because of being a little bit hurt and beat up? I think the above post is spot on as I think about it, Mikayla probably would have over reacted to Dillard's moves, and Geno knew that. I am starting to appreciate how special Jefferson was as a defender, like the game against Mabry. Shut her down without fouling.
Hard to describe what I'm trying to say. It truly is an etiquette kind of thing. Like not yelling when your opponent is putting. Not really in the rulebook per say.
You don't hold your arms straight out like Lou did. The defender does not have the right to occupy that space. It's like "cheating". If you want that space as a defender, you have to step into that space and then you'll risk getting driven by. That space should be empty space. If the offensive player wants it, there is risk reward there too, such as getting the ball taken from you or your shot blocked.
It is also understood that the arms are critical for a players balance, so arms are fairly used in that regard, such as arms out from your sides while defending a dribbler. But you cannot hand-check or impede another players movement with these outstretched arms. Again, that creates an unfair advantage for the defender in this case.
Almost all foul decisions are based on fair versus unfair advantage, such as getting your feet set, occupying space in a defensive mode, and verticality.
What do you do if a defender "cheats" and it's not called? Sorry, "old school"- you give them a shot in the ribs and/or swat their arms out of the way.
Long story short- the integrity of UConn is like no other in history- let's play the game the right way.
BTW Stop reacting to foul calls! It serves no purpose. That's Geno's job! Period! Makes us look like prima donnas. Hand the ball to the ref and get in position. Move your damn feet and stop grabbing and they won't call a foul.

Reaction Score
Napheesa had a great game (as usual), look up her numbers. She was 2 assists short of a triple double. CW also played really well in the first half, before she went out with the 2 fouls. Katie Lou played pretty well, all things considered. She missed a few too many 3s, which might be due to conditioning due to sitting out for a few games. Here's hoping she'll be back to tip top shape by the Sweet 16 round. I agree with everyone who has stated that the many foul calls took the players out of rhythm.
Precious had good numbers, fine. But what about the drought in scoring? She, inside or out couldnt/or wouldn't. It is not always that you scored at times it's when you score or didn't. She, more than anyone is looked to by the 3 under(almost) classmen when she is stopped it gets into the minds of the others. She, like it or not is their model and our only hope for the distance. KLS is hurt, Danger isn't a prolific scorer, Walker neither, that leave CW who at times drives into 3 defenders with the obvious results. Senior have a responsibility--with 1 point to 100 to score when needed or to make sure you feed and speak to the Frosh or Sophs. When necessary Precious did not do that.. Lead by example is nice by lead by direction is better.

Reaction Score
Hard to describe what I'm trying to say. It truly is an etiquette kind of thing. Like not yelling when your opponent is putting. Not really in the rulebook per say.
You don't hold your arms straight out like Lou did. The defender does not have the right to occupy that space. It's like "cheating". If you want that space as a defender, you have to step into that space and then you'll risk getting driven by. That space should be empty space. If the offensive player wants it, there is risk reward there too, such as getting the ball taken from you or your shot blocked.
It is also understood that the arms are critical for a players balance, so arms are fairly used in that regard, such as arms out from your sides while defending a dribbler. But you cannot hand-check or impede another players movement with these outstretched arms. Again, that creates an unfair advantage for the defender in this case.
Almost all foul decisions are based on fair versus unfair advantage, such as getting your feet set, occupying space in a defensive mode, and verticality.
What do you do if a defender "cheats" and it's not called? Sorry, "old school"- you give them a shot in the ribs and/or swat their arms out of the way.
Long story short- the integrity of UConn is like no other in history- let's play the game the right way.
BTW Stop reacting to foul calls! It serves no purpose. That's Geno's job! Period! Makes us look like prima donnas. Hand the ball to the ref and get in position. Move your damn feet and stop grabbing and they won't call a foul.

Are you saying KLS got called for a foul that is not in the rules, only etiquette? If so you must be kidding. Throw the rule book away and call on Miss Manners to do the reffing. Sounds like a Mass driver--honk honk honk that space you pulled into is MINE. Since when? Or the clairvoyant rule book make it up as you go along. All night long Buffalo was bodying up anyone under the boards with no space between them, is that different rules for different teams or places on the floor. Does every team, as the military, need an embedded lawyer on the floor??

Reaction Score
Are you saying KLS got called for a foul that is not in the rules, only etiquette? If so you must be kidding. Throw the rule book away and call on Miss Manners to do the reffing. Sounds like a Mass driver--honk honk honk that space you pulled into is MINE. Since when? Or the clairvoyant rule book make it up as you go along. All night long Buffalo was bodying up anyone under the boards with no space between them, is that different rules for different teams or places on the floor. Does every team, as the military, need an embedded lawyer on the floor??
Grab a hold of something and get your wits about you. I explained it pretty well. Did you just see the word etiquette and go off the handle, or did you actually read what I said. I even made a pretty nifty golf analogy.
Feel free to delete the word etiquette before you read the post if need be.
Chapter 3 paragraph 8 section 2: She cannot occupy that space in front of her with her arms outstretched. Is that better?
BTW if someone was doing that to me in a pickup game, I'd hurl the ball at their you-know-whats.

Reaction Score
Grab a hold of something and get your wits about you. I explained it pretty well. Did you just see the word etiquette and go off the handle, or did you actually read what I said. I even made a pretty nifty golf analogy.
Feel free to delete the word etiquette before you read the post if need be.
Chapter 3 paragraph 8 section 2: She cannot occupy that space in front of her with her arms outstretched. Is that better?
BTW if someone was doing that to me in a pickup game, I'd hurl the ball at their you-know-whats.
If the rules state that--why fog up the issue with etiquette? Games have rules play according to the rules, and laws are laws and assault and battery (actually hitting) is one of them. Bullies thrown tantrums and hurl at "you know what"???? Those so hit will often make sure it doesn't happen again, probably breaking the law with assault and battery. Something to think about before you "hurl" at anyone--check their size.

Reaction Score
If the rules state that--why fog up the issue with etiquette? Games have rules play according to the rules, and laws are laws and assault and battery (actually hitting) is one of them. Bullies thrown tantrums and hurl at "you know what"???? Those so hit will often make sure it doesn't happen again, probably breaking the law with assault and battery. Something to think about before you "hurl" at anyone--check their size.
Your analogy of the guy stealing your parking space is a perfect analogy! Do you know the rules of the road for that scenario? I didn't think so! You ever see the Seinfeld episode when George and this dude were deadlocked in a dispute over a parking space.
Come on, all interactions, games, competitions, sports have unwritten rules or as I like to call it, etiquette.
I played basketball through college, so I'm pretty familiar with that. Golf as well.
Do you ever hear about disputes around these unwritten rules? All the time. Baseball's the worst.
You must be the guy that likes when the refs go to the monitor to check out a call and break out the rulebook every 5 minutes. Newsflash: 99% is just commonsense. Yes, Dez Bryant caught that ball against GB. Yes that was a catch by Megatron. Yes that was a foul on KLS just like Kara said emphatically.

Reaction Score
Nobody had a good.great game, statistically wise at least.
If you think missing 4 FT's and 4 turnovers and 4 PF's equates to having a Great game, then our opinions are not in the same ballpark, or forum.
Right. 12 of 15 shooting, 16 rebounds, 8 assists, 2 steals, 3 blocks. and 27 points is something I could do blindfolded.

Reaction Score
Your analogy of the guy stealing your parking space is a perfect analogy! Do you know the rules of the road for that scenario? I didn't think so! You ever see the Seinfeld episode when George and this dude were deadlocked in a dispute over a parking space.
Come on, all interactions, games, competitions, sports have unwritten rules or as I like to call it, etiquette.
I played basketball through college, so I'm pretty familiar with that. Golf as well.
Do you ever hear about disputes around these unwritten rules? All the time. Baseball's the worst.
You must be the guy that likes when the refs go to the monitor to check out a call and break out the rulebook every 5 minutes. Newsflash: 99% is just commonsense. Yes, Dez Bryant caught that ball against GB. Yes that was a catch by Megatron. Yes that was a foul on KLS just like Kara said emphatically.
If I could hear I may have heard her comment.
Yes, That's is great. There are 2 aspects to that comment. 1) The Refs should know the rules. What they are check is DID THE RULES GET VIOLATED. That is good refing. Honest, fair. Any one who does not like that? Well??
I don't play golf, a waste of human energies. So many more needed human endeavors like helping the needy, work a soup kitchen, visit a military hospital, or VA hospital, must be 10,000 better ways to use ones time than Golf. Angry men play golf, throw fits, throw clubs, throw balls--I've seen them all. Not for me.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Last night's game showed the best and worst of the team in a single game.

The best included Phee's play and pressure defense leading to turnovers and easy buckets. Christyn was aggressive and scoring early, until a second cheap foul forced her t sit.

The worst included giving up offensive rebounds by the dozens after initial stops. That led to more points for Buffalo and fewer transition opportunities for us. In transition, we are very strong. In the half court, we are mediocre.

Keep in mind a few things. Buffalo got to Albany last year, and Dillard almost single-handedly got her team past the South Carolina squad that included A'ja Wilson. Dillard is the second leading scorer in the nation and leader in both FTs and FTAs. It wasn't that surprising that she made some threes and got to the FT line a lot.

As Geno said, Meg will shoot better and Crystal will play better the next game. We will need both of those. We need at least 3 players to be "on" in Albany. Ideally, we'll have 4 or 5. Or 6.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Regarding the foul called on Lou on Dillard's 3-point attempt, I believe it was a correct call. I provided a detailed explanation in the "Kara Lawson" thread if you want to read it. Basically, "initiating contact" is not a decision-making factor on whether something is a foul, but "ownership of space" is a decisive factor. Lou did not own the space occupied by her outstretched arm, so Dillard was entitled to initiate contact with that arm and draw a foul.

Reaction Score
Regarding the foul called on Lou on Dillard's 3-point attempt, I believe it was a correct call. I provided a detailed explanation in the "Kara Lawson" thread if you want to read it. Basically, "initiating contact" is not a decision-making factor on whether something is a foul, but "ownership of space" is a decisive factor. Lou did not own the space occupied by her outstretched arm, so Dillard was entitled to initiate contact with that arm and draw a foul.
Yes and a carry is not allowed and palming is not allowed yet these illegal actions are the norm. In the last few seasons of watching WCBB, I was actually shocked when a ref called a carry on one of our opponents. I thought that I was going to have the Big One.
I am still shocked that Lou was called for this "NBA Only" foul. IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom