Buffalo post game thread (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Buffalo post game thread (merged thread)

Reaction Score
I still believe we can beat anyone —— when our offense is clicking. I just hope it is for the next four games.

Reaction Score
These games can happen in the tournament. On the men's side Duke barely eked out a 1 point win against UCF. Sometimes a scare like this can actually be a good thing going forward. (Although I could live without them).

Reaction Score
So what do you think if Dillard doesn't sprain her ankle. I did not realize we had so many players with 4 fouls. I could see Dillard picking them off one by one at the end or else getting uncontested 3's. Seems like we should have tried Coombs to slow her down and if need be absorb some of the fouls. I would not have asked Collier to guard her, even for a few minutes. Collier is too valuable for us. Seems like every time we opened up a lead we ran out of gas. End of first, end of second, end of third middle of the fourth. This is one inconsistent team. I guess Geno is right, no surprise about that, we have some real deficiencies he has to hide.

Agree on Coombs.

Reaction Score
I thought our rebounding might pick up in the second half. Especially on the defensive end. Thry had so many offensive rebounds and second attempts. And they did not have superior height.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, this Buffalo team put up 82 points at Oregon and they gave Stanford a scare, before losing by 7. Last year, they also gave SC and Aja Wilson a scare in the Sweet 16. The Bulls are for real.
We need a break from the doom and gloom. You just gave me an opportunity to post a music video - For What It’s Worth by BUFFALO Springfield of course

Reaction Score
If ESPN box score is correct how did buffalo get 76 fog attempts to our 63 when rebounds were even?

And I do think MC should have gotten some burn

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
It was a strange combination of factors that made this a tough game. It almost came too easy at first. Sometimes that isn't good. Then Buffalo showed up and they really played hard and good. And then the whistle started blowing. That really messed up our ability to play D and the flow. Meg had a really lousy game on both ends. Danger didn't have her usual good game. Then at the end all of these things piled up to result in very tight play. It happens and they worked through it. Move on!

Oh and free throws - Yuck.

Reaction Score
Other than the beginning of the game, that was ugly. I've been saying all year that Megan needs to learn how to finish at the rim... I think the problem is she has bad hands... Lou missed so many open shots -- I hope that's just part of the recovery process. Crystal's decision making was horrible... what was that 3 pt shot near the end with lots of time left on the shot clock? But, the most important thing is to advance... we'd better play a lot better next week. I think (and hope!) we will...

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, this Buffalo team put up 82 points at Oregon and they gave Stanford a scare, before losing by 7. Last year, they also gave SC and Aja Wilson a scare in the Sweet 16. The Bulls are for real.
Ah! I was wondering about that. It was fifteen love and the next thing I see we're scrambling for everything! Hats off to Buffalo. Great coach, funny too. Dillard was a killerd even on one leg and she's funny too. We could have easily been blindsided - kudos to Geno for not overlooking them.

I hope no one lost heart. Doubt if they did. They're just probably thanking their lucky stars they got this one behind them. They did win after all. By a sizeable amount. Onward and upward.

Reaction Score
We need a break from the doom and gloom. You just gave me an opportunity to post a music video - For What It’s Worth by BUFFALO Springfield of course

Great song even though it is a Vietnam war protest song (I am a Vietnam Era Veteran).
(I hope that this isn't against the "no politics rule :eek:.)
Back to the OP...

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I'd almost rather play a lesser team from a power 5 than one of these top teams from a smaller conference. Teams like Buffalo have been very used to winning this season. They were not going to give up. Super scrappy and had some things going for them we are not used to.

Reaction Score
Thank god for Collier. We couldn’t buy a bucket late in the game. I thought Lou played hard but her offense is limited from her injury I think. Lots of open looks and misses and when near the basket she can’t jump high enough to separate for a 6’3”. Dangerfield did not play well and Megan didn’t either. In the end it’s win and advance but we need crystal and Megan to play better. I do believe that Lou will get better each game. Let’s hope for a consistent effort for the entire game going forward.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
-Some strange calls...when Buffalo fouled while on D they were pretty ferocious while those called on us were more of the ticky-tack variety.

-I also noticed some Collier discomfort after one tough altercation.

-UConn teams rarely lose composure...they did tonight.

-The answer was ...get the ball inside to Collier and for much of 4th quarter they forgot what is in the All-State policy.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

I'm glad you posted this. This was an under seeded team. They are no slouch.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the game:

• Buffalo is one tough team. Dillard is a handful, even on one leg. A little surprised Geno didn’t give Mikayla a shot at her.
  • Lou was moving better today, although she looked more winded playing her 2nd game in 3 days.
  • Unusual to see so many UConn players in foul trouble. Again, credit to Buffalo for constantly crashing the boards and taking it at the Huskies every chance they got.
  • Survive and advance. See everyone in Albany
I was surprised Uconn took so many long shots without ANYONE under that board.
Someone scouted Uconn accurately knows the limits and the faults of the help concept and exploited it wonderfully. Another 5 minutes (OT) Dilliard may have won this one. That kid can shoot and shoot from anywhere, how did Geno miss that one??
Kudo's to ONO and CW and Walker while not perfect these 3 did well. Collier, KLS and Danger are supposed to do well, they've been to the big dance before..
Survived--not a very big confirmation of this teams potential, remember a 10th team survived to get into this game. Can Uconn use Griffin in the next 4 games??

Reaction Score
-Some strange calls...when Buffalo fouled while on D they were pretty ferocious while those called on us were more of the ticky-tack variety.

-I also noticed some Collier discomfort after one tough altercation.

-UConn teams rarely lose composure...they did tonight.

-The answer was ...get the ball inside to Collier and for much of 4th quarter they forgot what is in the All-State policy.
I think that Buffalo realized that Pheesa on the block was Option #1 and put 2 and 3 players near her and then if we found the open player, bunnies and open shots were missed.

Reaction Score
This game wasn't that physical for so many fouls to be called. It seemed like the refs called every touch foul at the start & set a tempo that hindered the game. No need for 46 fouls to be whistled, especially since many were incidental contact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom