OT: - Bryce Hopkins | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Bryce Hopkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was flipping back and forth between the UConn women's game and thee PC-Seton Hall game. Griffin and Hopkins went down with knee injuries at almost the same time. Griffin's looked bad. No contact on the way up.
My angry response has nothing to do with the post and everything to do with injuries that derail the whole season for a team. These kids work so hard to strive for success and then the injured kid is robbed of his passion and suffers, but the other kids are also robbed of their maximum chances for success and will never know what could have been. Even other teams don't want their own success not having won against the best version of other teams. Freemantle killed Xavier's upside, Hopkins would kill PC, Griffen's affect on the girls is cumulative with their other injuries, and I cross my fingers for Clingan's health. Heck, we will have wasted Paige's whole career on teams that have been decimated by injuries to her and others. It's an unavoidable part of the game but $#@%#^!

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
My angry response has nothing to do with the post and everything to do with injuries that derail the whole season for a team. These kids work so hard to strive for success and then the injured kid is robbed of his passion and suffers, but the other kids are also robbed of their maximum chances for success and will never know what could have been. Even other teams don't want their own success not having won against the best version of other teams. Freemantle killed Xavier's upside, Hopkins would kill PC, Griffen's affect on the girls is cumulative with their other injuries, and I cross my fingers for Clingan's health. Heck, we will have wasted Paige's whole career on teams that have been decimated by injuries to her and others. It's an unavoidable part of the game but $#@%#^!
I share your sentiments

Reaction Score
I was there and I'd be very happy but very surprised if it isn't serious.
Yeah, hate for it to be the case as Hopkins is one of the stars of the Big East. However, I'd be surprised if he plays again this season.

With Hopkins out, my guess Gaines becomes the starting 4 while Dual/Floyd will get more PT.

Reaction Score
I’m cautiously optimistic about this one - it didn’t look like the kind of non-contact injury where you just immediately think ACL.

He took some really awkward steps and then looked like he tripped himself and hyperextended the leg. Usually, with an ACL, it’s a jump stop or something similar where the body stops and one knee keeps going.

I hope it’s a hyper extension.
Hopkins's injury reminded me of Paige Buecker's first knee injury. Weird steps followed by an over-the-front hyperextension. She was out what 6-8 weeks? Significantly better than an ACL tear

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Hopkins's injury reminded me of Paige Buecker's first knee injury. Weird steps followed by an over-the-front hyperextension. She was out what 6-8 weeks? Significantly better than an ACL tear
Paige had a tibial plateau fracture and meniscus tear not a hyperextension?

Reaction Score
Paige had a tibial plateau fracture and meniscus tear not a hyperextension?
I believe her injury was the result of that hyperextension. So much pressure pinching on the cartilage and front of the tibial plateau. It is physics essentially.

Reaction Score
This really stinks for the kid, for Providence, and for the Big East. Providence was going to make some noise this season, IMO and I'm rooting for Kim English.

I probably can't find any numbers on this and it might just be in my head but it seems like more basketball players are getting major injuries in recent years than I remember in the past.

Reaction Score
Hate to see kids get hurt. I want all these teams at full strength. Not only for when we beat them, but so the BE can smack teams in the NCAA.
That's my sentiment as well. Plus, I hate to see any athlete go through that when they work so hard, but even more for college athletes since they don't get paid like the pros in most cases depending on their NIL deal. Hopkins is a legitimate pro prospect and 1st team all Big East player. The news about his injury bummed me out just like it did with Clingan and Paige Bueckers (spelling).

Reaction Score
I was there and I'd be very happy but very surprised if it isn't serious.
cross the fingers and toes and hope it's minor knee sprain or minor hyperextension of his knee and he is out for only 2 weeks. I hate seeing injuries like this to any player but especially ones of Hopkins' caliber who is a bonafide 1st team all Big East player.

Reaction Score
cross the fingers and toes and hope it's minor knee sprain or minor hyperextension of his knee and he is out for only 2 weeks. I hate seeing injuries like this to any player but especially ones of Hopkins' caliber who is a bonafide 1st team all Big East player.
It's already been released, torn ACL

Reaction Score
This really stinks for the kid, for Providence, and for the Big East. Providence was going to make some noise this season, IMO and I'm rooting for Kim English.

I probably can't find any numbers on this and it might just be in my head but it seems like more basketball players are getting major injuries in recent years than I remember in the past.
Certain injuries have increased recently because players are larger and more explosive than in the past.
A lot of it is due to players developing more muscle and explosive power through weight training techniques that have been refined in recent years and applied to athletes in team sports. These techniques were used by Olympic weight lifters and power lifters for decades before they made it into mainstream team sports.
I forget the exact stats, but from the NFL draft you can predict the likelihood of certain injuries based on the weight and 40 yard dash time of running backs. Ex. if a guy is 220lbs and runs a 4.4 second 40 yard dash, then his chances of an ACL tear might be 50% higher than a running back who is 195 and runs a 4.6 second 40 yard dash. The heavier the player and the greater his force production, then the greater the likelihood of tearing tissue. Also, in the past there were likely more partial tears of ligaments (called sprains) instead of full tears that require surgery and a year to recover.

Reaction Score

Welp I was wrong. ACL Tear

Seemed most likely based on that video but awful to have it confirmed. Heck of a player to watch and now takes a team that possibly could have made some noise and probably drops them pretty far out of contention.

Reaction Score
Kid was screaming when it happened felt awful for him. The crowd quieted down and you could hear it. Wasn’t thinking it would be good to bad for them no doubt.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just an awful blow for Hopkins and for PC. He's a hell of a player.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
This thread is proof that we are BE fans. I'm very happy we're all on the same page. I feel like PC fans would be celebrating this if it happened to Clingan, but maybe I overestimate their scumbaggery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom