OT: - Bryce Hopkins | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Bryce Hopkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This thread is proof that we are BE fans. I'm very happy we're all on the same page. I feel like PC fans would be celebrating this if it happened to Clingan, but maybe I overestimate their scumbaggery.
UConn is the most prestigious program in the conference, with that comes some jealousy. I don't think many fans celebrate season ending injuries though.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This thread is proof that we are BE fans. I'm very happy we're all on the same page. I feel like PC fans would be celebrating this if it happened to Clingan, but maybe I overestimate their scumbaggery.
When AJ blew out his knee against USD in the 2008 tournament I was a member of a board that was designed for all (then) BE schools. The PC fans (there were a lot of them) were split 50/50 between those who felt bad for AJ and those who were thrilled that we got knocked out of the tournament as a result of the injury. St John's fans on the other hand were in unison in their elation that we lost our PG and were eliminated.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
When AJ blew out his knee against USD in the 2008 tournament I was a member of a board that was designed for all (then) BE schools. The PC fans (there were a lot of them) were split 50/50 between those who felt bad for AJ and those who were thrilled that we got knocked out of the tournament as a result of the injury. St John's fans on the other hand were in unison in their elation that we lost our PG and were eliminated.
Scumbaggery confirmed.

Reaction Score
UConn is the most prestigious program in the conference, with that comes some jealousy. I don't think many fans celebrate season ending injuries though.
Especially because a lot of older big east fans can’t get out of their heads the pre Calhoun Huskies that they used to demolish. They‘re stuck in 1980-1985 and still can’t believe the new reality before their eyes. 5 NC baby. Whadayou got to show?

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
You had me with your first 2 sentences and lost me with the last... Methinks you overestimate their scumbaggery...Real fans appreciate all the hard work that these kids put in and can separate the emotions of a heated rivalry from their empathy for a rival player who has had a serious injury.. AND for what it's worth, Bryce is a genuine good kid and the type of teammate you'd want on your team.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Wish Hopkins a speedy recovery.

Providence needs 5 or 6 more wins for an NIT bid. With all 4 Georgetown/Depaul games left, they will probably get it. They need 9 more wins for an NCAA bid. That seems out of reach.

St. Johns and Butler would be the most likely beneficiaries in terms of improving their shot at getting a bid, although Butler already lost one of their games to Providence. This injury makes a potential loss at Providence less likely for the top BE teams.

Reaction Score
You’ll never be able to convince me that at least 50% of Providence and Syracuse fans wouldn’t celebrate a season ending Clingan injury… you can sit there and say things like “real fans wouldn’t do something like this” but you’re just not living in the real world… a lot of them would… and they’re “real fans” by any other measure… AJ Price, Jerome Dyson, etc. lot of examples… I know one who was shoveling dirt on us following Clingan going down at Seton Hall going on about playing the Wednesday game in the Big East Tourney and loving it… just cause we don’t go that low doesn’t mean they don’t and wishing it wasn’t the case doesn’t make it so

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
You’ll never be able to convince me that at least 50% of Providence and Syracuse fans wouldn’t celebrate a season ending Clingan injury… you can sit there and say things like “real fans wouldn’t do something like this” but you’re just not living in the real world… a lot of them would… and they’re “real fans” by any other measure… AJ Price, Jerome Dyson, etc. lot of examples… I know one who was shoveling dirt on us following Clingan going down at Seton Hall going on about playing the Wednesday game in the Big East Tourney and loving it… just cause we don’t go that low doesn’t mean they don’t and wishing it wasn’t the case doesn’t make it so
Shoveling dirt on the team is different than shoveling dirt on the player was my point

Reaction Score
That looks really bad. Would be a real bummer if he's out for the season. Providence and Hopkins are very good.

It's unbelievable how these injuries happen. It's like his foot momentarily stuck, just like Aubrey Griffin's injury. Nothing spectacular, like coming down on it from dunking height.
Geno said she had her foot rotated to the side when she came down and that caused the injury. Wonder if Hopkins' injury was similar.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, hate for it to be the case as Hopkins is one of the stars of the Big East. However, I'd be surprised if he plays again this season.

With Hopkins out, my guess Gaines becomes the starting 4 while Dual/Floyd will get more PT.
I know his stats so far don't show much, and it's not the way you want it to play out, but maybe this ends up giving CF enough playing time to get comfortable and become what many of us thought he'd be for UConn.

Reaction Score
The resulting karma for the past 16 years is a bi_ch, isn't it?

Reaction Score
You had me with your first 2 sentences and lost me with the last... Methinks you overestimate their scumbaggery...Real fans appreciate all the hard work that these kids put in and can separate the emotions of a heated rivalry from their empathy for a rival player who has had a serious injury.. AND for what it's worth, Bryce is a genuine good kid and the type of teammate you'd want on your team.
You're, hopefully, right about most fans having empathy for the player, but the reality today is there are way too many who seem to get their self esteem from the performance of their teams and live to gloat over others.

Reaction Score
I know his stats so far don't show much, and it's not the way you want it to play out, but maybe this ends up giving CF enough playing time to get comfortable and become what many of us thought he'd be for UConn.

Watch CF play don’t see it. Can do some impressive things but can also be very bad at times. Nice bench guy but trying to make him more just won’t be a great thing for PC.

Reaction Score

Cmon can’t throw that out there without the detail J, geez!

Reaction Score
English is in the running for a bunch of four stars and a five star or two. Must be a reference to one or two of them. He seems to be a good coach, I would expect Providence to be in the top 4-5 in the league while he’s there. He’s doing a great job.

Reaction Score
Nice. I really enjoy the PC and SJU rivalries, probably, moreso than most. I’m excited to see English and Pitino have their two schools playing tough. I’m all for a Big East that is dominated by UConn, Nova, PC and SJU with SHU not far behind. That’s a cocktail that will make the Big East something special. Marquette and Creighton provide great depth, but that concentration of excellence in the Northeast will be something special for fans.

Reaction Score
Nice. I really enjoy the PC and SJU rivalries, probably, moreso than most. I’m excited to see English and Pitino have their two schools playing tough. I’m all for a Big East that is dominated by UConn, Nova, PC and SJU with SHU not far behind. That’s a cocktail that will make the Big East something special. Marquette and Creighton provide great depth, but that concentration of excellence in the Northeast will be something special for fans.
Nicely stated.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This really sucks for the kid. I'm on a 6 month moratorium of hating on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom