OT: - British Open | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: British Open

Reaction Score
Bunch of players in the mix, weekend will be good if the weather comes in.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just for S&G, here is a summation of BYer picks for The Open from this thread, with # of votes for each:

Rory 6
Cantlay 4
Rahm 4
Scott 3
Koepka 3
Rose 3
Stenson 2
Fleetwood 2
Schauffele 2
Leishman 2
and 1 vote for each of: Fowler, Noren, Westwood, Wallace, Kisner, Thomas, DeChambeau, Kuchar, Oosthuizen, Molinari, Cabrera Bello.

And there were a few NFW they've got a chance of winning: Koepka (2), Speith, Tiger, DJ, Thomas, Day, Scott, Fowler, Stenson, Kuchar, Casey, De Chambeau.

There was also a vote for "unknown European", which could still happen as three of those are within five of the lead, along with one unknown Asian.

Projected cut is +1 at this moment. Bold indicates those expected to make cut at time of this post. Red indicates those within 5 strokes of leader (Holmes at -8). Strikeout indicates those expected to not make cut. I left Casey (+1) and Wallace (+2) unaltered as a stroke either way could put them in or out.

Obviously results could change by end of day, but likely to be pretty close to this. If I missed anyone, let me know and I'll add them. I'll edit when 2nd round is final.

And I'm patting myself on the back for the most inspired pick ;)

Lowry is a decent pick in hindsight.

Rory won't win, but he hasn't teed off yet today so hasn't missed the cut yet.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Nobody picked any of the current leaders at -8 as of time of this post. Unless we count Frittelli as the "unknown European"...

Well I did say I'd update at end of the 2nd round. Rory still needs to knock off another 4 strokes over the final holes.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score

Rory -5 for the day only 1 shot off the projected cut....

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Rory -5 for the day only 1 shot off the projected cut....

Just rolled in a birdie. Hit a 370 yard bomb a couple of holes ago. He's playing aggressively as he has to.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm watching the Rory, Woodland, Casey group as they all try to make the cut. They are giving it a go for sure. 18th hole.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Apparently Rory is not out of it yet if 4 of final 6 players under cut line to blow up and move line to +2.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Bummed that Darren Clarke cratered at the end and missed cut. McDowell barely made it, so at least Northern Ireland has one of their own.

Anyway, here's the update on how BY predictions have worked out heading into moving day, so there are still bragging rights to be had:

Score/Player/# of BY votes

-7 Fleetwood (2 votes)
-7 Westwood (1)
-6 Rose (3)
-5 Koepka (3)
-4 Rahm (4)
-4 Kuchar (1)
-3 Noren (1)
-3 Stenson (2)
-3 Schauffele (2)
-3 Fowler (1)
-2 Thomas (1)
-1 Cantlay (4)
-1 Kisner (1)
E Oosthuizen (1)
E Casey (1)
+1 Wallace (1)
+1 Molinari (1)
+2 Rory (6)
+5 Cabrera Bello (1)
+5 DeChambeau (1)
+8 Leishman (2)
+9 Scott (3)

So that's 30 votes for players who still have a chance (although only about half have a legit chance) and 13 votes that ended up costing y'all some green if you bet on them.

And for those of you who picked players you felt didn't stand a chance of winning, Brooks and Speith are laughing at you:
-5 Koepka (2)
-5 Speith (1)
-4 Kuchar (1)
-3 DJ (1)
-3 Fowler (1)
-3 Stenson (1)
-2 Thomas (1)
E Casey (1)
+2 Day (1)
+5 DeChambeau (1)
+6 Tiger (1)
+9 Scott (1)

Still hoping my pick Westwood brings his ambivalence to another level and takes home the jug.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Brooks Koepka again in contention at a major heading into the weekend. Guy is unbelievable.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Still hard to bet against Koepka at this point, but there are some interesting players ahead of him (and Spieth for that matter - can't forget him).

Justin Rose: had a great weekend in 2018 in the Open - he's still a serious contender.
Justin Harding: Who? Never won on the PGA tour - best major finish T12 this year at the Masters. I just can't see him contending on Sunday.
Cameron Smith: Another Who? 1 PGA tour win in 2017 -best majors T4 at the 2015 US Open and T5 at the 2018 Masters. Another I don't see in contention on Sunday.
Lee Westwood: 2 PGA tour wins, the last in 2010. He's been 2nd or 3rd in all four majors at some point the latest in 2016. Certainly a big name. At 46 years old, I don't see him grinding it out for the weekend but I would love to see it. Long shot.
Tommy Fleetwood: No PGA tour wins. Best major is 2nd at the 2018 US Open and next is T12 at the 2018 Open. He was 9th best player in the world in 2018 and has fallen to 20th. Can't imagine his first PGA win is the Open Championship but it could be. A moderate contender.
Shane Lowry: 1 PGA tour win in 2015. Best major finish is T2nd in the 2016 US Open. He's been trending up in the world golf ranking from #92 in 2018 to #31 after the US Open this year. He's got to be seen as a serious contender over the weekend.
J.B. Holmes: 5 PGA tour wins including one this year. Best major is 3rd at the Open Championship in 2016. He's pretty far down the world golf rankings at 55, but he has won on the tour, has won this year and is leading the field (with Lowry). He has to be considered a serious contender.

If I had to put players in contention on Sunday down the stretch, I think you have to go with Koepka, Spieth, Rose, Lowry, Holmes, Fleetwood, Westwood and then any significant names in the -4 to -2 currently.

At this point I would think the winner would come out of the group of Holmes, Lowry, Rose, Koepka, Spieth, Reed, Rahm, Dustin and perhaps Schauffele.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
nder.

If I had to put players in contention on Sunday down the stretch, I think you have to go with Koepka, Spieth, Rose, Lowry, Holmes, Fleetwood, Westwood and then any significant names in the -4 to -2 currently.

At this point I would think the winner would come out of the group of Holmes, Lowry, Rose, Koepka, Spieth, Reed, Rahm, Dustin and perhaps Schauffele.
Idk about Dustin. I play a bunch of fantasy golf so I listen to a lot of the PGA podcasts and frequent the PGA boards and the word on him recently has been that he’s going through “personal issues” again.

Reaction Score
Idk about Dustin. I play a bunch of fantasy golf so I listen to a lot of the PGA podcasts and frequent the PGA boards and the word on him recently has been that he’s going through “personal issues” again.
I’ve heard the same. All is not good on the home front.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Getting crowded at -4 as numerous players off to good starts. If weather turns later and leaders can't add to leads, it's going to be a madhouse on Sunday.

Reaction Score
This will be a fun weekend, bunch of players in the mix. My gutt keeps saying Fleetwood is overdue.

Reaction Score
I’ve been watching the coverage on the British channel Sky Sports. So much better than what we get here. They show so many more shots and keep the stupid fluff to a minimum. Don’t feel the need to mention sponsors every few minutes either.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Screw this Harding guy. Long putters are for sissies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’ve been watching the coverage on the British channel Sky Sports. So much better than what we get here. They show so many more shots and keep the stupid fluff to a minimum. Don’t feel the need to mention sponsors every few minutes either.

British sports TV is so much better.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Koepka cannot putt today. If putter was on, he's probably tied for lead. Missed a bunch of makeable ones.

My boy Lee just hit into a bush... gonna be a tough par save. Should've walked away on the tee box when the crowd roared for someone else as he was just about to takeaway. Looked like he flinched a wee bit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom