OT: - British Open | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: British Open

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Duval took a 15 at the 7th hole, listed as 8th easiest hole. Went from +3 to +13 in a matter of minutes.

Portrush looks like a blast to play.

Forgot all about Shane Lowry. He's been having a decent year and has done well on Irish courses in the past. In the clubhouse at -4.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Duval took a 15 at the 7th hole, listed as 8th easiest hole. Went from +3 to +13 in a matter of minutes.

Forgot all about Shane Lowry. He's been having a decent year and has done well on Irish courses in the past. In the clubhouse at -4.

Heard on the radio they adjusted it down to a 13 on #7. Brutal.

Reaction Score
Rory hacking it up, missing 18" putts, 3 putting from 5 feet, too much pressure?

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
So much for my Rory pick. This course is playing tough!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
About the only good thing about being laid up with a back injury is being able to watch the first two rounds. IMO, Portrush would be fairly tough even without weather. Seems one needs a higher degree of accuracy than on most other courses in the Open rotation.

Koepka looks to be on. Woods looks like he'll be flying out tomorrow.

Also appears Koepka's caddy knows the course better than Rory's.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Happy Darren Clarke looks like he might make the weekend. Rory's the current flavor, but Clarke was golf in Northern Ireland for years before that, so nice they let him take the first shot at Portrush. Followed Clarke & buddies around Brookline during a Ryder practice round. Charming guy, lots of fun.

And my pick Westwood is on the front page of the leaderboard!

Reaction Score
Lol it was a joke. I was actually listening to some podcasts and that’s why they said they titled it “British Open”

I was genuinely curious what you meant by SEO. I've never seen that before.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was genuinely curious what you meant by SEO. I've never seen that before.

Search Engine Optimization. There is an entire industry based on it.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Holy crap, Duval shot a 91, 20 over par - that's worse than bogey golf. Add to that he started birdie, birdie, so he was 22 over par in the last 16 holes. That had to be a nightmare round for him (three holes with over double bogie). Rory and Woods essentially out at +8 & + 7 (even if they rally with great rounds to make the weekend, they'll be too far back to be in contention).

It certainly looks like Koepka is in good position, but I think some non favorite is going to win this. Like I said before it started, I have no idea and I still don't. Hopefully tomorrow clears some things up and we have an actual handful of favorites - or maybe not - hopefully we have a wide open field. Sucks that I am on Jury Duty and can't watch until Saturday.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Holy crap, Duval shot a 91, 20 over par - that's worse than bogey golf. Add to that he started birdie, birdie, so he was 22 over par in the last 16 holes. That had to be a nightmare round for him (three holes with over double bogie). Rory and Woods essentially out at +8 & + 7 (even if they rally with great rounds to make the weekend, they'll be too far back to be in contention).

It certainly looks like Koepka is in good position, but I think some non favorite is going to win this. Like I said before it started, I have no idea and I still don't. Hopefully tomorrow clears some things up and we have an actual handful of favorites - or maybe not - hopefully we have a wide open field. Sucks that I am on Jury Duty and can't watch until Saturday.

Court starts at 1:30 Eastern? Plenty of time to watch - sleep in court.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Court starts at 1:30 Eastern? Plenty of time to watch - sleep in court.
West coast - get up at 6ish and go to work then court get out at 4pm and home by 4:45pm, that's way after it's over for the day.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
West coast - get up at 6ish and go to work then court get out at 4pm and home by 4:45pm, that's way after it's over for the day.

Yeah all you have to do is stay up late and you saw the first half.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Heard on the radio they adjusted it down to a 13 on #7. Brutal.

Heard the final verdict was a 14 on the hole and a 91 overall.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Heard the final verdict was a 14 on the hole and a 91 overall.

Yep. Here's the explanation...

that wrong ball must've been one of those Pro-Vs y'all were talking about in the foursomes thread ;)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s kicking the out of PGA pros. Love to see that.

Reaction Score
It’s kicking the out of PGA pros. Love to see that.
Yes and no. Some big names put up high scores, but the 41 players currently under par is more than any other major through round 1 this year. Masters had 28, PGA had 16. and US Open had 39.

Hopefully the weather is wild and all hell breaks loose this weekend.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes and no. Some big names put up high scores, but the 41 players currently under par is more than any other major through round 1 this year. Masters had 28, PGA had 16. and US Open had 39.

The majors are so much better when they have to wrestle the course. Today ended up kind of boring.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Minor quibble, Bethpage plays 16 yards shorter than Augusta, yet is a par 70 vs Augusta's 72 for major play. That there's a 525 yard par 4 (among three par 4s >500 yrds). IMO, Bethpage should've been a 71, which would obviously affect those numbers.

Unless there's some worse weather coming in, pretty likely the leaders on Sunday will be in double digits under par, but that doesn't matter all that much as far as this course being fun to watch.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just for S&G, here is a summation of BYer picks for The Open from this thread, with # of votes for each:

Rory 6
Cantlay 4
Rahm 4
Scott 3
Koepka 3
Rose 3
Stenson 2
Fleetwood 2
Schauffele 2
Leishman 2
and 1 vote for each of: Fowler, Noren, Westwood, Wallace, Kisner, Thomas, DeChambeau, Kuchar, Oosthuizen, Molinari, Cabrera Bello.

And there were a few NFW they've got a chance of winning: Koepka (2), Speith, Tiger, DJ, Thomas, Day, Scott, Fowler, Stenson, Kuchar, Casey, De Chambeau.

There was also a vote for "unknown European", which could still happen as three of those are within five of the lead, along with one unknown Asian.

Projected cut is +1 at this moment. Bold indicates those expected to make cut at time of this post. Red indicates those within 5 strokes of leader (Holmes at -8). Strikeout indicates those expected to not make cut. I left Casey (+1) and Wallace (+2) unaltered as a stroke either way could put them in or out.

Obviously results could change by end of day, but likely to be pretty close to this. If I missed anyone, let me know and I'll add them. I'll edit when 2nd round is final.

And I'm patting myself on the back for the most inspired pick ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom