BRIMAH SAT while coach fiddled | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BRIMAH SAT while coach fiddled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
12, 8 and 3, 28mpg next year. If he hits all of those, you owe me a beer.
I'm a huge optimist as well as a strong supporter of Amida and the jump he made from last year to this year, however, I think 8 rebounds is a bit high. I'd guess 6 or 7. If this team wants to be good next year, Purvis/Hamilton need to average 15, Brimah and Adams need to average 10+. I think this is feasible....the other rotation players need to find their roles and succeed in those roles. That is best case scenario for what we'll have.

Add a PG who can actually dribble/a wing scorer or a big who can score down low either be it an incoming freshman or a grad transfer, I don't care but we have work to do in the coming months. I am excited for next year. Go Huskies!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@lange10 its definitely the number I feel shakiest on, moreso based on the pace of the current game than anything.

Reaction Score
Goodnight. AB has such little basketball experience that he's still learning some of the basics and that's ok if there's a host of serviceable bigs to fill in gaps but there just isn't so his flaws become more apparent. As pointed out already, he blocks and alters shots, but at times the desire to do that puts him so far out of position that it creates gaps that allow for easy offensive rebounds. After last year I think that some of the folks on here we're overly optimistic about how much he would progress (surgery or no-surgery) and develop a complete game. He's has limits that we're all well aware of and many of those reveal themselves at the offensive end of the floor where I actually think he is more of a liability than on the defensive end of the floor. There is no meaningful inside offensive game (no those alley oops do not count) and that has huge ramifications on the offensive and defensive side of the ball.
Okay, how should the staff prioritize what he needs instruction to improve, and what is he likely to learn most quickly? Assume that they have a solid conditioning and strength building program for him.

My priorities are improving defense by cutting down on silly defensive fouls and working on situational defensive awareness which should help defensive rebounding. If he can hold his defensive position better due to increased strength, and learn to maintain proper arm positions, that should cut down on fouls. He needs thousands of repetitions of this with shots going up. Then he will have to decide about pursuing the rebound and/or boxing out. There has been a lot of criticism about defensive rebounding, forget being out of position because of attempts to block shots. Too often both Brimah and Nolan are pushed too deep. They are trying to block out, but they are not in proper blockout positions. Guys on the opposing teams have the advantage.

If Brimah develops physically so he can carve out and hold space, and get to the proper spots; this will go a long way to shoring up two major team weaknesses-opponents paint scoring and poor defensive rebounding. The goals are to cut his fouls by 1.5 a game, and get
5 more defensive rebounds a game for the Huskies against top 100 opponents.

Reaction Score
Okay, how should the staff prioritize what he needs instruction to improve, and what is he likely to learn most quickly? Assume that they have a solid conditioning and strength building program for him.

My priorities are improving defense by cutting down on silly defensive fouls and working on situational defensive awareness which should help defensive rebounding. If he can hold his defensive position better due to increased strength, and learn to maintain proper arm positions, that should cut down on fouls. He needs thousands of repetitions of this with shots going up. Then he will have to decide about pursuing the rebound and/or boxing out. There has been a lot of criticism about defensive rebounding, forget being out of position because of attempts to block shots. Too often both Brimah and Nolan are pushed too deep. They are trying to block out, but they are not in proper blockout positions. Guys on the opposing teams have the advantage.

If Brimah develops physically so he can carve out and hold space, and get to the proper spots; this will go a long way to shoring up two major team weaknesses-opponents paint scoring and poor defensive rebounding. The goals are to cut his fouls by 1.5 a game, and get
5 more defensive rebounds a game for the Huskies against top 100 opponents.

If I had that answer, I'd be a coach.

Reaction Score
It's not as much of a stretch as you think. He averaged 9.4 (inflated by the 40 game) and 4.6 in 26.5 mpg. Let's say he gets up to 29 mpg by avoiding foul trouble, that gets him to 10.2 and 5. I know you hate the comp, but Hash added 3 pts and 3 board to his game in flat min soph to junior. There's a rise to be had.

I would put Amida's sophomore year pretty close to Hilton's Senior year.

Wo, Hilton was a lot better his senior year and his jump immense. He was a 1st rounder based on his play, AB isn't close to that. And he's not close to what I expected Hash to do, and Hash did it. He understood the game better and was much stronger, tougher already. As I said hope you're right but 12/8 is a little much.

Reaction Score
@lange10 its definitely the number I feel shakiest on, moreso based on the pace of the current game than anything.

No worries I'm rooting so hard for him and you I have it at min - 10/6 ;)

Heck I get to stay there and drink beer too

Reaction Score

No worries I'm rooting so hard for him and you I have it at min - 10/6 ;)

Heck I get to stay there and drink beer too

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Not a stat guy. Hilton was making big strides which I don't see and his understanding of the game was solid. Therein lies the difference in the jump.

So what's it say about Brimah that his raw/unpolished output is on par production/efficiency wise as a blossoming Hilton who went in the 1st round?

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Brimahs ( and one/ goal tend ) play was classic. He did impact the game in the end but he makes far too many mistakes.

Reaction Score
He's no Okafor but he does need some front court help which I believe would hide some of his short comings. If Okafor was on this team he would be good but he wouldn't look like the Okafor we know.

Reaction Score
I like AB but I have been critical of him in the past however he was impacting that game yesterday and needs to be on the court no matter how horrible a rebounder he is. Their bigs got nothing on Brimah in the 2nd half and when he sat in the first half Kennedy destroyed us when they took their big lead.

Him and Nolan though are probably the two worst rebounding centers we have ever had to play that many minutes. Brimah needs to add size, plain and simple, he gets boxed out and pushed around like crazy.

The dfference in this game was rebounding. Yes Boat and Dham played poor but SMU didnt shoot great either. Their POY Moore shot horrible and Kennedy had 2 2nd half points. They killed us on the glass just like Cincy and Tulsa. Moore, Morreira and Kennedy just got every rebound and did it easily.

Reaction Score
That was the key point in the game... Rodney not boxing out and the 3 late fouls...Killers when we were down 5 and needed another possession...

Yes as to the fouls but you're dead wrong on Purvis. He had inside position on a much bigger player and got a body on him. Ball just came off the rim too long to the weak side. Stuff happens.

Reaction Score
So what's it say about Brimah that his raw/unpolished output is on par production/efficiency wise as a blossoming Hilton who went in the 1st round?
AB is a nice college player but until he can put up real numbers against true big men he isn't getting drafted in the NBA. Hopefully he hits the weight room super hard this off season. I love the energy but he just lacks so much strength that it is sad.

Reaction Score
The rebounding stats are really not key here. If you've watched us post-Okafor, we clearly coach every big who has ups to go for any shot he thinks he can block or change and put the burden on the other players to get to the rim and keep us from getting destroyed on our defensive boards. We've had many great teams that block a lot of shots and gave up a lot of offensive rebounds. This is a coaching choice we have always made and been successful with.

Nolan's inability to rebound better, however, is an entirely different matter.

Reaction Score
I like AB but I have been critical of him in the past however he was impacting that game yesterday and needs to be on the court no matter how horrible a rebounder he is. Their bigs got nothing on Brimah in the 2nd half and when he sat in the first half Kennedy destroyed us when they took their big lead.

Him and Nolan though are probably the two worst rebounding centers we have ever had to play that many minutes. Brimah needs to add size, plain and simple, he gets boxed out and pushed around like crazy.

The dfference in this game was rebounding. Yes Boat and Dham played poor but SMU didnt shoot great either. Their POY Moore shot horrible and Kennedy had 2 2nd half points. They killed us on the glass just like Cincy and Tulsa. Moore, Morreira and Kennedy just got every rebound and did it easily.

Our 2 leading scorers shot 3/21, for 15pts. I get that they were outrebounded, but on a team that lacks a variety of scorers, how on earth was rebounding the difference? You're not beating SMU with Boat and DHam playing like that, lets not ignore the obvious here. Look at how Boat, DHam, and Purv played 2 weeks ago against SMU and look how they played yesterday. One guy was there, the other 2 were not, there's your L.

Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
Yes as to the fouls but you're dead wrong on Purvis. He had inside position on a much bigger player and got a body on him. Ball just came off the rim too long to the weak side. Stuff happens.

Purvis was quoted that he felt bad about that play and I thought the same thing. Ball just took a long carom. Unlucky.

Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
The rebounding stats are really not key here. If you've watched us post-Okafor, we clearly coach every big who has ups to go for any shot he thinks he can block or change and put the burden on the other players to get to the rim and keep us from getting destroyed on our defensive boards. We've had many great teams that block a lot of shots and gave up a lot of offensive rebounds. This is a coaching choice we have always made and been successful with. Nolan's inability to rebound better, however, is an entirely different matter.

I remember one play when Boone, Armstrong and Gay all flew at the same shot and pretty much fell over each other. The result was the equivalent of an empty net goal for whoever was standing there under the rim from the other team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom