BRIMAH SAT while coach fiddled | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BRIMAH SAT while coach fiddled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was so angry when Lubin got his 3rd quick foul. I thought the moving pick was complete horsesht, and they were setting moving picks all game. He had that monster play to get an offensive board and put it back, and I thought we might see the Rakim coming out party. Hopefully next year he gets a chance to showcase, because I think he's very close to contributing quite a lot. He is still a big bruiser, but he's not 'fat', and that guy can move out there

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
am i crazy or did lubin have three in the first and come back out? i honestly don't remember.
I think he did but that's by necessity. The exception to the 2 foul rule is when someone has to play with them, start from your deepest reserve and work backwards.

Reaction Score
Watching Nolan and Brimah play the post is liking watching two guys wearing boxing gloves trying to handle the basketball.
It is so frustrating seeing the uncontested flub turnovers or missed rebounds. The need a Lot of strength work this summer.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
:mad::confused: He changed the game defensively. I'm seriously at a loss here with how far apart I feel from most of the board on Brimah's second half performance.
His inability to box out and gather a simple rebound cost us many second chance points in the second half. Smh

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
His inability to box out and gather a simple rebound cost us many second chance points in the second half. Smh
Here's the thing. No, it didn't. SMU scored exactly 6 second chance points in the 2nd half. Which is remarkable when you consider they were missing most of their shots, because of Brimah, and the fact that they were playing a bigger front court lineup than us and playing their style of basketball which is designed to get the ball deep into the post and then crash the glass.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing. No, it didn't. SMU scored exactly 6 second chance points in the 2nd half. Which is remarkable when you consider they were missing most of their shots, because of Brimah, and the fact that they were playing a bigger front court lineup than us and playing their style of basketball which is designed to get the ball deep into the post and then crash the glass.

Keep fighting the good fight OkaFor.

The defensive paint was a layup line yesterday in the first half with Brimah out. The defensive paint was a warzone in the second half with Brimah in.

People seem to be basically ignoring that because a rebound bounced off the guy's head. Yes, his rebounding needs to get better, he needs to learn to go after defensive rebounds as ferociously as he goes after blocks. Granted.

But I don't see how there can be any overriding conclusion from yesterday's game other than that Brimah is an immense defensive force, to a degree that far outweighs the current flaws in his game.

Reaction Score
:mad::confused: He changed the game defensively. I'm seriously at a loss here with how far apart I feel from most of the board on Brimah's second half performance.

Yeah, I'm with you. That's some of the best defensive footwork I've seen from Brimah. His rebounding is still a war crime, but he was probably the #2 reason we made a game of it in the second half.

Reaction Score
Brimah is playing Div 1 ball at a high school level. That flat footed play was alarming, especially when you are the tallest player on the court. He has enthusiasm and is a developing leader (I saw him calming Boat down), its just he has a lack of development. Remember he may not be challenged enough in practice, or has a lack of a bench mark.

This off season is critical, he's talented but still raw. I don't have an answer/solution but for him to stay 4 years. His senior year with development will make us forget these threads.

Reaction Score
Look, we needed Purvis, Boat and DHam to score to win this game. We got 1 out of 3.

Nolan and Brimah played their typical games. They are not the reason we lost. If we won they would not have been the reason either.

We lost because we couldn't put the ball in the ocean if it was the basket.

Reaction Score
The game slipped away when we got called for fouls on three strait possessions and bailed out SMU with 5 seconds or less on the shot clock. If we just could have forced a tough shot and maybe get a miss and a rebound instead of giving them cake free throws maybe we get a different result. Brimah with his 2 points and 2 rebounds were clearly not a key success factor for us today
That was the key point in the game... Rodney not boxing out and the 3 late fouls...Killers when we were down 5 and needed another possession...

Reaction Score
Look, we needed Purvis, Boat and DHam to score to win this game. We got 1 out of 3.

Nolan and Brimah played their typical games. They are not the reason we lost. If we won they would not have been the reason either.

Between them, Nolan and Brimah took 1 shot...Our only inside presence was Rodney bulldozing his way to the hoop...

Reaction Score
Deadrody said:
Yes, that's nice. But there is more to the game of basketball than blocking shots. He also had at least one goaltending call and went for blocks on shots he had no chance to get to, leaving the lane void of rebounders (if you can actually qualify Brimah AS a rebounder).

There's a sliding scale. There are some shots he goes for he has no chance of getting - or even affecting. But there are some that he goes after that at least forces the shooter to think about his presence and alter the shot, where if he stays on the floor and doesn't challenge the guy makes the shot and there's no rebound to be had. The first priority should be to make the first guy miss.

But you're right - he is not a good rebounder. He just doesn't have the instincts or the hand-eye/quick reflexes for it. But if he was an animal on the boards, he might have left after one year. Or been a higher prospect in the first place and we wouldn't have been able to scoop him up in the spring off the discount rack.

He changes the game when he's out there and disrupting shots. If he's not a complete big man, that's the trade off to getting someone who may be here 3 or 4 years at 7 feet tall. They are bound to be missing some part of their game to keep them in college.

Reaction Score
The game against SMU slipped away while Brimah sat next to Coach Ollie. All season, and tonight, coach has nosense of the game getting away. Brimah commited NO FOULS in the second half. He needs to play through, not sit while a game gets away. Coach C, could do that, coach O can not.
Actually agree with you here although who know whether it would have helped.

Reaction Score
Keep fighting the good fight OkaFor.

The defensive paint was a layup line yesterday in the first half with Brimah out. The defensive paint was a warzone in the second half with Brimah in.

People seem to be basically ignoring that because a rebound bounced off the guy's head. Yes, his rebounding needs to get better, he needs to learn to go after defensive rebounds as ferociously as he goes after blocks. Granted.

But I don't see how there can be any overriding conclusion from yesterday's game other than that Brimah is an immense defensive force, to a degree that far outweighs the current flaws in his game.

Please "immense"? Crazy - Emeka Okafor was immense. This guy is decent. Okafor also laid off shots he didn't have to block in order for the good of the team and getting rebounds, which he did we'll as well as block shots. That's immense. The fact he could catch a ball without fumbling it and throw it back in the hole is immense, not this guy.

You guys are lost in this one. Between not being able to score, not being able to rebound and not knowing how to help/hedge or even where to be for anything you feel his blocked shots are suddenly immense. Whacked I tell ya.

Hope you're not holding your breath for an all american center anytime soon, because I'm not sure the brain is ever going to catch up to your expectations of this kid. He is what he is and has a much LONGER way to go than you guys believe.

Reaction Score

I posted this in another thread but AB has been dismal on offense and rebounding in the last 7 games against real front lines. He is avg. 4.7 PPG and 3.1 RPG per 28.5 MPG. Though this is expected as he just isn't strong enough yet to deal with real good players in those facets of his game I was hoping for some improvement here.

I do a agree though that the loss is more about DHAM and RB not showing up in a big game but AB's production is not acceptable for both his offense and rebounding as the starting center on UCONN. Hopefully he comes back stronger and much improved next year. Can we all just agree he isn't leaving UCONN this year for the NBA draft. LOL! He needs four years of improving his skills and body to even be considered. Love AB but his game has a long way to go before he is considered a 1rst rounder.

Last edited:

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Please "immense"? Crazy - Emeka Okafor was immense. This guy is decent. Okafor also laid off shots he didn't have to block in order for the good of the team and getting rebounds, which he did we'll as well as block shots. That's immense. The fact he could catch a ball without fumbling it and throw it back in the hole is immense, not this guy.

You guys are lost in this one. Between not being able to score, not being able to rebound and not knowing how to help/hedge or even where to be for anything you feel his blocked shots are suddenly immense. Whacked I tell ya.

Hope you're not holding your breath for an all american center anytime soon, because I'm not sure the brain is ever going to catch up to your expectations of this kid. He is what he is and has a much LONGER way to go than you guys believe.

12, 8 and 3, 28mpg next year. If he hits all of those, you owe me a beer.

Reaction Score
Here's what will help AB be the person you guys believe he is now. A PF (Kennedy like) who can both score and rebound, as well as guard a little to offset AB's inexperience. If we had one of those AB's ability to block shots would be just enough and the occasional score.

Reaction Score
Goodnight. AB has such little basketball experience that he's still learning some of the basics and that's ok if there's a host of serviceable bigs to fill in gaps but there just isn't so his flaws become more apparent. As pointed out already, he blocks and alters shots, but at times the desire to do that puts him so far out of position that it creates gaps that allow for easy offensive rebounds. After last year I think that some of the folks on here we're overly optimistic about how much he would progress (surgery or no-surgery) and develop a complete game. He's has limits that we're all well aware of and many of those reveal themselves at the offensive end of the floor where I actually think he is more of a liability than on the defensive end of the floor. There is no meaningful inside offensive game (no those alley oops do not count) and that has huge ramifications on the offensive and defensive side of the ball.

Reaction Score
Done.

Let's be honest here OFP, I'm rooting hard for a loss here and enjoying your company while drinking and talking UConn basketball on ME. But most of all because if he improves this much we're happier UConn fans. I will even give you a minus 2 on points and rebounds LOL

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Let's be honest here OFP, I'm rooting hard for a loss here and enjoying your company while drinking and talking UConn basketball on ME. But most of all because if he improves this much we're happier UConn fans. I will even give you a minus 2 on pets and rebounds LOL

It's not as much of a stretch as you think. He averaged 9.4 (inflated by the 40 game) and 4.6 in 26.5 mpg. Let's say he gets up to 29 mpg by avoiding foul trouble, that gets him to 10.2 and 5. I know you hate the comp, but Hash added 3 pts and 3 board to his game in flat min soph to junior. There's a rise to be had.

I would put Amida's sophomore year pretty close to Hilton's Senior year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom