Brianna Turner out for 2017-2018 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Brianna Turner out for 2017-2018

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No doubt that Shepard was the Huskers number 1 option and best player last year, but the Huskies didn't do anything special to stop her, other than having Gabby guard her man-up. For ND's sake, I hope she turns out to be a solid starter, but having experienced the great expectations when 6'5" Big East Freshman of the year Natalie Butler transferred to UConn (Many UConn fans thought Nat would be the next Steph Dolson), I can only suggest that it may be worthwhile to temper your expectations. Don't get me wrong, I like Nat a lot and she provided a meaningful contribution at times, but she was never able to crack the starting lineup.
Comparing Natalie Butler to Jessica Shepard is kind of like comparing the Big 10 to what's left of the Big East. :eek: Jessica Shepard was the #3 player in the 2015 class, Natalie Butler did not crack the top 100 in 2013. Shepard has played on USA basketball age group teams, Natalie never got an invite to try out for USA basketball. Shepard had 2 bad games against UCONN and was injured for part of one season and out of shape for both seasons @ Nebraska but still managed to Average 18.6 points and 8.6 rebounds. Shepard is a gifted high post passer that was saddled as the "hometown" kid that was going to restore Nebraska to former glory of sweet 16 appearance. At ND she will be free of not only that burden but also the burden of being the teams' best player. If she can become more physically fit, as she was at recent USA basketball U23 trials she will start for ND and be a major contributing force.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Comparing Natalie Butler to Jessica Shepard is kind of like comparing the Big 10 to what's left of the Big East. :eek: Jessica Shepard was the #3 player in the 2015 class, Natalie Butler did not crack the top 100 in 2013. Shepard has played on USA basketball age group teams, Natalie never got an invite to try out for USA basketball. Shepard had 2 bad games against UCONN and was injured for part of one season and out of shape for both seasons @ Nebraska but still managed to Average 18.6 points and 8.6 rebounds. Shepard is a gifted high post passer that was saddled as the "hometown" kid that was going to restore Nebraska to former glory of sweet 16 appearance. At ND she will be free of not only that burden but also the burden of being the teams' best player. If she can become more physically fit, as she was at recent USA basketball U23 trials she will start for ND and be a major contributing force.
I don't buy the argument that she needs to be "free of the burden of being the team's best player." Imagine saying something like that about DT, Maya, Stewie, Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, etc. Your also suggesting that for 2 years at Nebraska it wasn't important enough for Shepard to get herself in shape, but if she can only become more physically fit at ND, she will start and be a major contributor. That's not much of a recommendation for her work ethic.

If I'm proven wrong, it certainly wouldn't be the first time, but I would not be surprised if Shepard becomes a solid sub at ND, but no more.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't buy the argument that she needs to be "free of the burden of being the team's best player." Imagine saying something like that about DT, Maya, Stewie, Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, etc. Your also suggesting that for 2 years at Nebraska it wasn't important enough for Shepard to get herself in shape, but if she can only become more physically fit at ND, she will start and be a major contributor. That's not much of a recommendation for her work ethic.

If I'm proven wrong, it certainly wouldn't be the first time, but I would not be surprised if Shepard becomes a solid sub at ND, but no more.

I know what you mean, but there is quite a gap between "solid sub" and "DT, Maya, Stewie, Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, etc.". I'd be quite satisfied with an approximation of sophomore-year Taya Reimer (minus disappearing for a few games midseason).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know what you mean, but there is quite a gap between "solid sub" and "DT, Maya, Stewie, Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, etc.". I'd be quite satisfied with an approximation of sophomore-year Taya Reimer (minus disappearing for a few games midseason).
I honestly hope I'm wrong about Shepard. Maybe ND will be a new lease on life for her and she will work her butt off to reach her potential.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I honestly hope I'm wrong about Shepard. Maybe ND will be a new lease on life for her and she will work her butt off to reach her potential.

As Cocohusky brought up, Ms. Shepard had a good trials on Colorado this summer. If she can continue to get into optimal shape, that bodes well.

Another factor that makes me positive: she is apparently very good friends with Brianna Turner, which may have been one of the reasons she chose to attend ND. Yes, the will to succeed should come from within, but sometimes it helps doing it with a buddy or peer you respect and like. Given that both might be sitting out the 2017-18 year, that appears to be the case for her....Turner is a very diligent worker, who also has a sly sense of humor to keep things light while the work is hard.

I don't think Sheppard came to ND to be a sub and I don't think that's what MM was envisioning either. Slot J.S. into the Kat Westbeld high-post role for 2018-19 to work with Turner down low. After that, let's see what happens.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She will probably complete her degree in her red shirt year and then use her remaining year of eligibility as a graduate student playing for Geno at UCONN!
No room for her.

Reaction Score
Very good. And I don't say this to be mean to either player, but 1 Brittany Hunter was enough. Before the knee Turner was a lesser version of herself.
A healthy Hunter that played 4 seasons at Uconn would have left as a 2 or 3 time AA! They would have won NC in 2008! She was that good but that is what happens when parents get to involved in the recruiting process.

Reaction Score
That would be just fine, but with frontcourt players like Z, Lou, Pheesa, Batouly, Walker, Charli Collier and ONO?, I'm not sure how much PT would be available.
These players can make shots that are farther than 5 ft out!

Reaction Score
We have MM's number. We beat them lately almost without trying. This will continue.2017 game at the Gampel!!!:):):):):)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Your also suggesting that for 2 years at Nebraska it wasn't important enough for Shepard to get herself in shape, but if she can only become more physically fit at ND, she will start and be a major contributor. That's not much of a recommendation for her work ethic.
I am suggesting noting of the sort! I never ever equate lack of conditioning to lack of work ethic. The comments about Shepard's need to get in better conditioning were from her former coach and Geno. There is a certain recent former UCONN player who unfairly gets dragged into these discussions about the need to be in better condition and she was a multiple time AA. Sometimes work ethic can simply not trump genetics, body type and or bad metabolism. Shepard also spent parts of her Freshmen season in a boot and had an ACL injury in her senior year of HS so let's ease up on the lack of work ethic noise.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am suggesting noting of the sort! I never ever equate lack of conditioning to lack of work ethic. The comments about Shepard's need to get in better conditioning were from her former coach and Geno. There is a certain recent former UCONN player who unfairly gets dragged into these discussions about the need to be in better condition and she was a multiple time AA. Sometimes work ethic can simply not trump genetics, body type and or bad metabolism. Shepard also spent parts of her Freshmen season in a boot and had an ACL injury in her senior year of HS so let's ease up on the lack of work ethic noise.
You're really all over the place. 1st off, I'm not aware of any comment by Geno about Shepard's conditioning. Next you refer to Steph and start talking about genetics. Steph played hard from the moment she came to Storrs and she worked her butt off transforming her body by losing weight and adding muscle. Finally, you bring up a series of injuries to Shepard in HS & her freshman year of college, I guess as an explanation for her fitness level?

My original comment was based on watching a lackluster effort by Shepard against the Huskies. Perhaps if I had seen her play more, my opinion might be different. Once Shepard is eligible to play for the Irish, let's see how she does. Hopefully my assessment will be wrong and you will be correct.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You're really all over the place. 1st off, I'm not aware of any comment by Geno about Shepard's conditioning. Next you refer to Steph and start talking about genetics. Steph played hard from the moment she came to Storrs and she worked her butt off transforming her body by losing weight and adding muscle. Finally, you bring up a series of injuries to Shepard in HS & her freshman year of college, I guess as an explanation for her fitness level?

My original comment was based on watching a lackluster effort by Shepard against the Huskies. Perhaps if I had seen her play more, my opinion might be different. Once Shepard is eligible to play for the Irish, let's see how she does. Hopefully my assessment will be wrong and you will be correct.

Coco wasnt talking about Dolson.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I referred to Steph? I was thinking of KML but go ahead and run with that.

Geno quote on Shepard's conditioning below.

“Obviously, she’s very skilled. I think she’s got a lot of great tools to work with. She needs to just keep working on her conditioning and on her stamina so she can use those skills.”

Top dogs put on a show: Huskers frustrated by UConn's defense, lose to No. 1 Huskies

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I referred to Steph? I was thinking of KML but go ahead and run with that.

Geno quote on Shepard's conditioning below.

“Obviously, she’s very skilled. I think she’s got a lot of great tools to work with. She needs to just keep working on her conditioning and on her stamina so she can use those skills.”

Top dogs put on a show: Huskers frustrated by UConn's defense, lose to No. 1 Huskies
Thanks for the clarification. As I said, I hope I'm wrong about Shepard and you're correct. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
On paper they will have a top contender team next season(18/19) with Turner and Shepard inside, Seniors Ogunbowale And Mabery, junior J. young etc. The only weakness is a lack of a proven PG...
That may be a solid lineup, but not a scary lineup to face. None of them would start for UCONN.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That may be a solid lineup, but not a scary lineup to face. None of them would start for UCONN.
At first I thought you might have been overstating your case. But when I considered the ND lineup vs Z, Pheesa, Lou, Danger & Walker, I tend to agree.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not so sure about that, the 2018-19 UCONN lineup could be without Azura. A healthy (recovered) Turner or an in shape Shepard could start at center for UCONN over Batouly, Kyla or freshmen Charli & ONO-I hope.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Not so sure about that, the 2018-19 UCONN lineup could be without Azura. A healthy (recovered) Turner or an in shape Shepard could start at center for UCONN over Batouly, Kyla or freshmen Charli & ONO-I hope.

Before I ran out to the door to the farmer's market, I saw the comments you responded to and was thinking along the same lines (but, better perhaps that a UConn supporter say it than the mongrel from the midwest ;)).

There's a couple of interesting "if's" in this:

- in the same way that "Z" will be back, will Shepard be back if she is granted a "you can play in "'17-18 card?" My guess is "yes," because she'll probably want to play with Brianna, but you never know.

- In some instances, it's easy to look at the components and say "this group is much, much better than that one." But this is not a cross country team where individual performance dictates overall team scoring. Meshing with each other is critical to maximize overall performance, right? We've seen Lou and Pheesa together...how will the other components fit in?

On the Irish side, Ogunbowale and Mabrey still can be satellites paralleling each other -- I think they need to intersect more for the team to go to the next level. Kinda feel like Jackie Young is the mixing force there.

- As you pointed out in another post, a PG makes for smooth mixing of offenses like ND and UConn. You'll have a head start. Will ND find one in the waning weeks of the early decision period (Nixon?) who can have a year under her belt come that season?

Or will MM give the keys to the mixing machine to incoming frosh Anaya Peoples and hope she gets what Skylar and Lindsay did?

- And of course, there are all the "extras" that will round out these squads. Will one or more of the guards/wings of UConn's Class of 2017 becomes a catalyst/game-changer off the bench? Will some of ND's unheralded recruits make contributions to the team that help win games -- Mik Vaughn with rebounding and blocks, Abby Prohaska with face-to-face defense and mixing it up in general?

Should be really interesting to watch both teams integrate new components and how they mesh. Hope they continue to play each other in the early season to give ideas of how both the individuals and chemistry are progressing. Geno and MM know those match-ups are good for their respective teams...and for WCCB in general.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Before I ran out to the door to the farmer's market, I saw the comments you responded to and was thinking along the same lines (but, better perhaps that a UConn supporter say it than the mongrel from the midwest ;)).

There's a couple of interesting "if's" in this:

- in the same way that "Z" will be back, will Shepard be back if she is granted a "you can play in "'17-18 card?" My guess is "yes," because she'll probably want to play with Brianna, but you never know.

- In some instances, it's easy to look at the components and say "this group is much, much better than that one." But this is not a cross country team where individual performance dictates overall team scoring. Meshing with each other is critical to maximize overall performance, right? We've seen Lou and Pheesa together...how will the other components fit in?

On the Irish side, Ogunbowale and Mabrey still seem to be satellites paralleling each other -- I think they need to intersect more for the team to go to the next level. Kinda feel like Jackie Young is the mixing force there.

- As you pointed out in anther post, a PG makes for smooth mixing of offenses like ND and UConn. You'll have a head start. Will ND find one in the waning weeks of the early decision period (Nixon?) who can have a year under her belt come that season?
Or will MM put the keys to the machine in Anaya Peoples and hope she gets what Skylar and Lindsay did?
- And of course, there are all the "extras" that will round out these squads.
Should be really interesting....
I actually doing a duo of farmers market and flea market today- who am I kidding, I'll be the one carry the bags and nodding along politely. Interesting point you bring up about Jackie Young-IMO she could be ND best player over next couple of years and hardly ever gets mentioned.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I actually doing a duo of farmers market and flea market today- who am I kidding, I'll be the one carry the bags and nodding along politely. Interesting point you bring up about Jackie Young-IMO she could be ND best player over next couple of years and hardly ever gets mentioned.

Kinda felt the same way -- although I did make a deal with a buddy of mine to bring tons of kielbasa out to the ND - Miami of Ohio game in two weeks.:cool:

MM wants Young to step up and stop deferring, undoubtedly that was meant in regards to the two alphas, Mabrey and Arike. But it's hard because to have all three on the floor, Jackie either takes the place of a high post and you're playing small ball, or Mabrey moves to the point, which could take away from her outside -drive/pull-up game. (Arike is Arike and that won't change....).

But I agree...we saw glimpses of what she can do last year: she's seemingly effortless and that is something to take advantage of. Seems to be a really humble, likable young person, to boot.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

You sure you aren't thinking about another center, from maybe Oklahoma?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom