Brianna Turner out for 2017-2018

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by Orangutan, Sep 5, 2017.

1. RockyMTblue2

RockyMTblue2 Don't Look Up!

I seem to recall FDR giving Stalin a warm embrace at Yalta. FDR was seated of course, but you do get my point, no?

cbraarj and CocoHusky like this.
  2. cabbie191

cabbie191 Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi

Are you referring to the ride from the airport with you, or playing for UConn??? :rolleyes:

3. DaddyChoc

DaddyChoc His Chockishness

this board was doing the same thing the ND board was doing at the same time... during all "announcements". The ND board isnt busy with fall sports they are pissed and scrambling to see how this season is gonna work out (maybe) (same here) and this board is speculating on if we'll every have to face that player again and happy ND is falling lower on the totem pole (not happy about the injury to Turner but cool with ND not winning another game)

CocoHusky likes this.
  4. Striper69

Striper69

Shepard deserted Nebraska...?

Oh, well...I don't blame her.

Fairfield Fan likes this.
  5. UConnCat

UConnCat Wise Woman

I'm curious what you think the waiver petition looks like. I'm assuming those who describe it haven't seen it but are describing what they think it reads like. I don't understand the arguments in favor of a waiver.

Wmccfp and CocoHusky like this.
  6. Scoop

Scoop

Playing for UConn. My brief narrative was about her possibly coming to UConn and playing for Geno, not about any possible interactions with me....smh.

7. CocoHusky

CocoHusky

Is that really hedging or is it us hearing what we want to hear & then being disappointed when reality sets in and "plans" actually change?
    FWIW ND allowed Taya Reimer to remain on scholarship after she had decided to leave. If Turner had decided to leave it would be silly of her to walk into the office and say I've decided to leave but I'd like to remain on scholarship. Sillier if Turner said she was leaving and ND decided to take her scholarship away.

j66kicker likes this.
  8. Dillon77

Dillon77

Hi UConnCat:
    I personally have not seen a waiver petition. Have you?
    Or, are you referring to the various conditions the NCAA will consider a waiver petition?

If the former, I've read what I can from the official NCAA site and organizations that have a vested interest in that site (athletic "advisory" sites).

Here are a few links I've used.
    NCAA Transfer Waivers Rule Changes | Informed Athlete
    Transfer terms

From what I understand, in 2015 the NCAA redid the exceptions in a way that set specific exceptions in which all of them must be met (and football/basketball/hockey were not favored). However, they did expand the window that an athlete could compete four years of eligibility from five to six years. At least that's how I read it.

So, given that, I'm not certain how ND is going to proceed in the case of Ms. Shepard. Maybe there are some financial or health issues that most are not aware of, but outside of that, I've got think that they're looking at the case of Chatrice White, who left Illinois after two years and transferred to Florida State. She was prepared to sit out a year but FSU put in for an exception and received it.

The cases had some parallels but the main similarity was that both White and Shepard stuck around after the precipitating incident even after the assistant coach (White) and head coach who recruited her (Shepard) were gone. Both programs had several other teammates leave before them, most notably Natalie Romeo, who left Nebraska after Yow "resigned" and got a waiver at Washington.

In one of the sites I reviewed, it mentioned that it would be helpful if the former school supported this decision, so I'm guessing Shepard's relationship with the current Nebraska coach and athletic department could come into play.

Outside of all that conjecture, I've got a pair of dice....
    any further input is always appreciated.

CocoHusky likes this.
  9. UConnCat

UConnCat Wise Woman

Thanks. No, I haven't seen a waiver petition.

I think the Shepard and White cases are different and I don't know that the NCAA recognizes a "I was a good soldier and stayed for a year" argument for waiver petitions. Shepard left Nebraska because she wanted a fresh start that is free from the burden of being the homegrown kid who stayed home to play college ball. Plus, like Shepard said, she wanted to play for a better team and better coaches. If there's more to it then I'm sure those facts will make their way in to ND's petition.

10. j66kicker

j66kicker

If it isn't hedging, per se, at minimum it's NOT 'promising' to stay for your final year of eligibility. And, regardless, yes - it's definitely us hearing what we want to hear.

CocoHusky likes this.
  11. cabbie191

cabbie191 Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi

I figured - just trying to have some fun with you. That's why I inserted the emoticon.

12. Dillon77

Dillon77

For what it's worth, Brianna Turner released this statement via ND's press office on late Wednesday.
    “I’ll be sitting out this upcoming 2017-18 season and focusing on making a complete recovery,” Turner concurred in a statement released late Wednesday night by Notre Dame. “I look forward to returning to the court next season and working toward our goal of winning a national championship.”

ND Insider (South Bend Tribune) had a follow-up article on Thursday which also quotes Brianna's dad on everything from the WNBA to recuperation (he's had knee injuries himself) to how the Turner family home did during Harvey (fine, save for damage to a fence).

Here's the link:
    Notre Dame forward Brianna Turner's decision to sit 'in her best interests'

CocoHusky, Scoop and Orangutan like this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird Et In Hoc Signo Vinces

It would be fine with me if ND were to lose every game (or maybe every other game), but my fondest hope for Ms. Turner is for a full and fast recovery and that she might continue to play the game she loves.

There's a big difference - or at least there should be - between one's opponent and one's enemy. I am proud to be part of this board, where we DO know and acknowledge that difference.

CocoHusky likes this.
  14. mhshuskies

mhshuskies

...because South Bend is such an oasis, yeah right!

15. mhshuskies

mhshuskies

"...working toward our goal of winning a national championship...", still delusional after three years

16. dtbtbtb

dtbtbtb

On paper they will have a top contender team next season(18/19) with Turner and Shepard inside, Seniors Ogunbowale And Mabery, junior J. young etc. The only weakness is a lack of a proven PG...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    CocoHusky and Dillon77 like this.
  17. Dillon77

Dillon77

Spot on. If recoveries go well and all the players mentioned are there, that could be one of ND's strongest lineups in years...save for the point guard. While Anaya Peoples is coming into the fold in 2019, there is no established PG after grad student transfer Lili Thompson uses her one year of eligibility, and no committed frosh PG for 2018. Not only does Coach McGraw have to hope that she snags a good one in the next few weeks (Jordan Nixon, per chance), that guard needs to be able to step right in, a la Lindsay Allen.

Otherwise, expect a "less than perfect" pg by committee of combo guards, probably led by Marina Mabrey and joined by incoming frosh Katlyn Gilbert.

Wmccfp, dtbtbtb and CocoHusky like this.
  18. Orangutan

Orangutan South Bend Simian

Maybe ND's doctors can do some weird science and transplant Lindsay Allen's brain into Ogunbowale's body.

Wmccfp and Dillon77 like this.
  19. Orangutan

How is that delusional? Shouldn't winning the national championship be every team's goal?

Dillon77 and CocoHusky like this.
  20. BlueDevils

BlueDevils

Blessing in disguise. If Shepard is eligible Notre Dame will be a 3 point shooting machine.

21. donalddoowop

donalddoowop

No doctor is that talented. Too much of a "I'm going to take the shot" mentality to overcome.

22. oldude

oldude bamboo lover

I know there is great hope in South Bend relative to Shepard. I have only seen her play once, this past season in Lincoln, when Gabby held her to 1-11 shooting. She needs to greatly improve her fitness and her willingness to mix it up in the paint. Until she does, she is an outside shooter that plays much smaller than her 6'3" frame, and can be neutralized by an athletic defender.

23. dtbtbtb

dtbtbtb

"if Gabby guards you, you are guarded" :)

Wmccfp, VAMike23 and oldude like this.
  24. Orangutan

Shepard was easily Nebraska's number 1 option last year. She attempted 505 FGs, no teammate attempted more than 215. Playing against a vastly superior UConn team when UConn knows that you are the #1 option is not often going to lead to a successful game.

If she can even be a competent starter, that will be a huge boost for Notre Dame...in whatever year she ends up being eligible.

Bgillon, oldude, j66kicker and 2 others like this.
  25. oldude

oldude bamboo lover

No doubt that Shepard was the Huskers number 1 option and best player last year, but the Huskies didn't do anything special to stop her, other than having Gabby guard her man-up.

For ND's sake, I hope she turns out to be a solid starter, but having experienced the great expectations when 6'5" Big East Freshman of the year Natalie Butler transferred to UConn (Many UConn fans thought Nat would be the next Steph Dolson), I can only suggest that it may be worthwhile to temper your expectations. Don't get me wrong, I like Nat a lot and she provided a meaningful contribution at times, but she was never able to crack the starting lineup.

cbraarj, Dillon77 and Orangutan like this.