Brianna Turner out for 2017-2018 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Brianna Turner out for 2017-2018

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Loyd came back to campus late winter/early spring and Coach MM made sure she saw all the ND alums in the WNBA this season. Some back and forth below...

Jewell B Loyd‏Verified account @jewellloyd
Congratulations to coach Muffet McGraw on being inducted to the Basketball Hall of Fame!

C8lKelqVYAQBlKb.jpg

9:05 AM - 4 Apr 2017

NOTRE DAME WBB‏Verified account @ndwbb
The field is set! Good luck to our #IrishintheWNBA in playoffs! Your #NDFamily is behind you!

DIur2F4WsAAI-El.jpg

8:39 AM - 2 Sep 2017

I seem to recall FDR giving Stalin a warm embrace at Yalta. FDR was seated of course, but you do get my point, no?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
OK, I know I should not "bite" on this comment, but I'm going to anyway because I like Turner. Of course I don't root or pull for her when they play UConn. During the rest of the year, yes. I for one would not have a problem IF she were to finish her college career on the east coast. I would gladly pick her up at the airport should she decide to finish her career playing for Geno. I'll bet it would be an experience she'd never forget or regret.

Are you referring to the ride from the airport with you, or playing for UConn??? :rolleyes:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yes, there is only one current thread on McGraw's Bench on this most recent development which has about 10 to 12 hits.

In large measure, that's because there were numerous other threads on the board written since Bri suffered this injury. Given that it's her "home board," we tended to look at this in inches rather than feet. In short, this official announcement didn't come as a surprise, given the information and discussions we've had up to this date. Hence, the slightly measured outpouring.
(Plus, I suspect some of our contributors might still be on Labor Day break and/or are paying attention to another fall sport ND plays.)

And as one of the three (that I know of) folks that contribute to both boards, I'm not going to compare board posts...no need to. I'm secure enough in my approach and standing on both boards. If anything, I like to compare and learn from both boards.
Take a chance to read some of the posts on the Bench on this subject: Some describe the petition for a waiver to Jessica Shepard's playing status; others on how that might affect the approach the Irish coaching staff takes on the floor; and, some on how it impacts recruiting. Like here, some posts are geared toward the home school; others you take with a grain of salt; and, some you learn and/or laugh from. Bingo.

That's what it's all about. After all, we're all WCBB and WBB fans, right?
this board was doing the same thing the ND board was doing at the same time... during all "announcements". The ND board isnt busy with fall sports they are pissed and scrambling to see how this season is gonna work out (maybe) (same here) and this board is speculating on if we'll every have to face that player again and happy ND is falling lower on the totem pole (not happy about the injury to Turner but cool with ND not winning another game)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Some describe the petition for a waiver to Jessica Shepard's playing status;

I'm curious what you think the waiver petition looks like. I'm assuming those who describe it haven't seen it but are describing what they think it reads like. I don't understand the arguments in favor of a waiver.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Are you referring to the ride from the airport with you, or playing for UConn??? :rolleyes:

Playing for UConn. My brief narrative was about her possibly coming to UConn and playing for Geno, not about any possible interactions with me.........smh.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tuck hedged from day 1 ("My plan is to return..."), and Turner is already hedging. Muffet is the one who talked about Turner's "firm commitment" to return, not Turner herself. Wishful thinking and subtle manipulation. Even if Turner's mind was already made up to leave, she couldn't say it now because she wants to continue in school on scholarship. I haven't seen anything from her saying she's definitely coming back.
Is that really hedging or is it us hearing what we want to hear & then being disappointed when reality sets in and "plans" actually change?
FWIW ND allowed Taya Reimer to remain on scholarship after she had decided to leave. If Turner had decided to leave it would be silly of her to walk into the office and say I've decided to leave but I'd like to remain on scholarship. Sillier if Turner said she was leaving and ND decided to take her scholarship away.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm curious what you think the waiver petition looks like. I'm assuming those who describe it haven't seen it but are describing what they think it reads like. I don't understand the arguments in favor of a waiver.

Hi UConnCat:
I personally have not seen a waiver petition. Have you?
Or, are you referring to the various conditions the NCAA will consider a waiver petition?

If the former, I've read what I can from the official NCAA site and organizations that have a vested interest in that site (athletic "advisory" sites).

Here are a few links I've used.
NCAA Transfer Waivers Rule Changes | Informed Athlete
Transfer terms

From what I understand, in 2015 the NCAA redid the exceptions in a way that set specific exceptions in which all of them must be met (and football/basketball/hockey were not favored). However, they did expand the window that an athlete could compete four years of eligibility from five to six years. At least that's how I read it.

So, given that, I'm not certain how ND is going to proceed in the case of Ms. Shepard. Maybe there are some financial or health issues that most are not aware of, but outside of that, I've got think that they're looking at the case of Chatrice White, who left Illinois after two years and transferred to Florida State. She was prepared to sit out a year but FSU put in for an exception and received it.

The cases had some parallels but the main similarity was that both White and Shepard stuck around after the precipitating incident even after the assistant coach (White) and head coach who recruited her (Shepard) were gone. Both programs had several other teammates leave before them, most notably Natalie Romeo, who left Nebraska after Yow "resigned" and got a waiver at Washington.

In one of the sites I reviewed, it mentioned that it would be helpful if the former school supported this decision, so I'm guessing Shepard's relationship with the current Nebraska coach and athletic department could come into play.

Outside of all that conjecture, I've got a pair of dice....
any further input is always appreciated.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hi UConnCat:
I personally have not seen a waiver petition. Have you?
Or, are you referring to the various conditions the NCAA will consider a waiver petition?

If the former, I've read what I can from the official NCAA site and organizations that have a vested interest in that site (athletic "advisory" sites).

Here are a few links I've used.
NCAA Transfer Waivers Rule Changes | Informed Athlete
Transfer terms

From what I understand, in 2015 the NCAA redid the exceptions in a way that set specific exceptions in which all of them must be met (and football/basketball/hockey were not favored). However, they did expand the window that an athlete could compete four years of eligibility from five to six years. At least that's how I read it.

So, given that, I'm not certain how ND is going to proceed in the case of Ms. Shepard. Maybe there are some financial or health issues that most are not aware of, but outside of that, I've got think that they're looking at the case of Chatrice White, who left Illinois after two years and transferred to Florida State. She was prepared to sit out a year but FSU put in for an exception and received it.

The cases had some parallels but the main similarity was that both White and Shepard stuck around after the precipitating incident even after the assistant coach (White) and head coach who recruited her (Shepard) were gone. Both programs had several other teammates leave before them, most notably Natalie Romeo, who left Nebraska after Yow "resigned" and got a waiver at Washington.

In one of the sites I reviewed, it mentioned that it would be helpful if the former school supported this decision, so I'm guessing Shepard's relationship with the current Nebraska coach and athletic department could come into play.

Outside of all that conjecture, I've got a pair of dice....
any further input is always appreciated.

Thanks. No, I haven't seen a waiver petition.

I think the Shepard and White cases are different and I don't know that the NCAA recognizes a "I was a good soldier and stayed for a year" argument for waiver petitions. Shepard left Nebraska because she wanted a fresh start that is free from the burden of being the homegrown kid who stayed home to play college ball. Plus, like Shepard said, she wanted to play for a better team and better coaches. If there's more to it then I'm sure those facts will make their way in to ND's petition.

Reaction Score
Is that really hedging or is it us hearing what we want to hear & then being disappointed when reality sets in and "plans" actually change?
FWIW ND allowed Taya Reimer to remain on scholarship after she had decided to leave. If Turner had decided to leave it would be silly of her to walk into the office and say I've decided to leave but I'd like to remain on scholarship. Sillier if Turner said she was leaving and ND decided to take her scholarship away.
If it isn't hedging, per se, at minimum it's NOT 'promising' to stay for your final year of eligibility. And, regardless, yes - it's definitely us hearing what we want to hear.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Playing for UConn. My brief narrative was about her possibly coming to UConn and playing for Geno, not about any possible interactions with me....smh.

I figured - just trying to have some fun with you. That's why I inserted the emoticon.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

For what it's worth, Brianna Turner released this statement via ND's press office on late Wednesday.
“I’ll be sitting out this upcoming 2017-18 season and focusing on making a complete recovery,” Turner concurred in a statement released late Wednesday night by Notre Dame. “I look forward to returning to the court next season and working toward our goal of winning a national championship.”

ND Insider (South Bend Tribune) had a follow-up article on Thursday which also quotes Brianna's dad on everything from the WNBA to recuperation (he's had knee injuries himself) to how the Turner family home did during Harvey (fine, save for damage to a fence).

Here's the link:
Notre Dame forward Brianna Turner's decision to sit 'in her best interests'

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
It would be fine with me if ND were to lose every game (or maybe every other game), but my fondest hope for Ms. Turner is for a full and fast recovery and that she might continue to play the game she loves.

There's a big difference - or at least there should be - between one's opponent and one's enemy. I am proud to be part of this board, where we DO know and acknowledge that difference.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, Brianna Turner released this statement via ND's press office on late Wednesday.
“I’ll be sitting out this upcoming 2017-18 season and focusing on making a complete recovery,” Turner concurred in a statement released late Wednesday night by Notre Dame. “I look forward to returning to the court next season and working toward our goal of winning a national championship.”

ND Insider (South Bend Tribune) had a follow-up article on Thursday which also quotes Brianna's dad on everything from the WNBA to recuperation (he's had knee injuries himself) to how the Turner family home did during Harvey (fine, save for damage to a fence).

Here's the link:
Notre Dame forward Brianna Turner's decision to sit 'in her best interests'
"...working toward our goal of winning a national championship...", still delusional after three years

Reaction Score
"...working toward our goal of winning a national championship...", still delusional after three years
On paper they will have a top contender team next season(18/19) with Turner and Shepard inside, Seniors Ogunbowale And Mabery, junior J. young etc. The only weakness is a lack of a proven PG...

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
On paper they will have a top contender team next season(18/19) with Turner and Shepard inside, Seniors O. And Mabery, junior J. young etc. The only weakness is a lack of a proven PG...

Spot on. If recoveries go well and all the players mentioned are there, that could be one of ND's strongest lineups in years...save for the point guard. While Anaya Peoples is coming into the fold in 2019, there is no established PG after grad student transfer Lili Thompson uses her one year of eligibility, and no committed frosh PG for 2018. Not only does Coach McGraw have to hope that she snags a good one in the next few weeks (Jordan Nixon, per chance), that guard needs to be able to step right in, a la Lindsay Allen.

Otherwise, expect a "less than perfect" pg by committee of combo guards, probably led by Marina Mabrey and joined by incoming frosh Katlyn Gilbert.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
On paper they will have a top contender team next season(18/19) with Turner and Shepard inside, Seniors O. And Mabery, junior J. young etc. The only weakness is a lack of a proven PG...

Maybe ND's doctors can do some weird science and transplant Lindsay Allen's brain into Ogunbowale's body.

Reaction Score
Blessing in disguise. If Shepard is eligible Notre Dame will be a 3 point shooting machine.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Maybe ND's doctors can do some weird science and transplant Lindsay Allen's brain into Ogunbowale's body.
No doctor is that talented. Too much of a "I'm going to take the shot" mentality to overcome.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know there is great hope in South Bend relative to Shepard. I have only seen her play once, this past season in Lincoln, when Gabby held her to 1-11 shooting. She needs to greatly improve her fitness and her willingness to mix it up in the paint. Until she does, she is an outside shooter that plays much smaller than her 6'3" frame, and can be neutralized by an athletic defender.

Reaction Score
I know there is great hope in South Bend relative to Shepard. I have only seen her play once, this past season in Lincoln, when Gabby held her to 1-11 shooting. She needs to greatly improve her fitness and her willingness to mix it up in the paint. Until she does, she is an outside shooter that plays much smaller than her 6'3" frame, and can be neutralized by an athletic defender.
"if Gabby guards you, you are guarded" :)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Shepard was easily Nebraska's number 1 option last year. She attempted 505 FGs, no teammate attempted more than 215. Playing against a vastly superior UConn team when UConn knows that you are the #1 option is not often going to lead to a successful game.

If she can even be a competent starter, that will be a huge boost for Notre Dame...in whatever year she ends up being eligible.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Shepard was easily Nebraska's number 1 option last year. She attempted 505 FGs, no teammate attempted more than 215. Playing against a vastly superior UConn team when UConn knows that you are the #1 option is not often going to lead to a successful game.

If she can even be a competent starter, that will be a huge boost for Notre Dame...in whatever year she ends up being eligible.
No doubt that Shepard was the Huskers number 1 option and best player last year, but the Huskies didn't do anything special to stop her, other than having Gabby guard her man-up.

For ND's sake, I hope she turns out to be a solid starter, but having experienced the great expectations when 6'5" Big East Freshman of the year Natalie Butler transferred to UConn (Many UConn fans thought Nat would be the next Steph Dolson), I can only suggest that it may be worthwhile to temper your expectations. Don't get me wrong, I like Nat a lot and she provided a meaningful contribution at times, but she was never able to crack the starting lineup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom