Brianna Turner out for 2017-2018 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Brianna Turner out for 2017-2018

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So Dopey here read headlines and made a bad assumption that was a new injury to the shoulder, not the injury to her knee! My apologies to all. See, I knew the new avatar was appropriate for the sleep deprived!

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I wonder how that will impact them this year. Seems like ND might be a border line top 10 team - they lost #2 scorer from last year (Turner) to injury, #4 (Allen) to graduation, #7 (Boley) to transfer, and #10 (Patberg) to transfer. They bring back Ogunbowale, Maybrey, Westbeld and Young (all likely starters?). They also bring in Patterson (#30) and Vaughn (#56).

Despite the blow of losing Turner, Notre Dame still has a lot of talent and a coach who seems when injuries crop up to get more than might be expected out of her team. In that regard, I think she and Geno are two of the best in the business.

I expect another solid year from the Irish.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have to say that despite the optimism that Turner will return to play for ND as a red shirt grad student, I think the odds are 50/50 at best. While Turner is a great player when she's healthy, similar to Morgan Tuck, she's injury prone, and the clock is ticking.

I would not be at all surprised if Turner earns her undergraduate degree at ND and declares for the WNBA draft. Like Tuck, she may have a very limited window to make a living in the pros.

Reaction Score
BY has about 4 or 5 times as many posts as Mcgraw's Bench on this topic.
I have not read them yet. I will not be surprised if ND fans are saying that they have 4 or 5 times as many posts on this topic as the Duke board.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is there any empathy for Turner here at The BoneYard??
Absolutely! Start with post 1-4, skip 5 &6 and you find great empathy, or is that sympathy, I always get those two confused.

Reaction Score
I have to say that despite the optimism that Turner will return to play for ND as a red shirt grad student, I think the odds are 50/50 at best. While Turner is a great player when she's healthy, similar to Morgan Tuck, she's injury prone, and the clock is ticking.

I would not be at all surprised if Turner earns her undergraduate degree at ND and declares for the WNBA draft. Like Tuck, she may have a very limited window to make a living in the pros.
She will probably complete her degree in her red shirt year and then use her remaining year of eligibility as a graduate student playing for Geno at UCONN!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She will probably complete her degree in her red shirt year and then use her remaining year of eligibility as a graduate student playing for Geno at UCONN!

Very good. And I don't say this to be mean to either player, but 1 Brittany Hunter was enough. Before the knee Turner was a lesser version of herself.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That would be just fine, but with frontcourt players like Z, Lou, Pheesa, Batouly, Walker, Charli Collier and ONO?, I'm not sure how much PT would be available.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

tumblr_mnfwx3nT6w1rynk4uo4_250.gif

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That would be just fine, but with frontcourt players like Z, Lou, Pheesa, Batouly, Walker, Charli Collier and ONO?, I'm not sure how much PT would be available.

I think later in the season she was back to her best. For example, she had 31 in the comeback win at Syracuse. She had 24 with 5 blocks against Florida State. It did take her some game time to shake of the rust that was a natural consequence of being out with a shoulder injury for 6+ months.

We'll see how she comes back from the knee injury but I don't think she's damaged goods (surely there is a more delicate idiom but it escapes me at the moment) or anything.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think later in the season she was back to her best. For example, she had 31 in the comeback win at Syracuse. She had 24 with 5 blocks against Florida State. It did take her some game time to shake of the rust that was a natural consequence of being out with a shoulder injury for 6+ months.

We'll see how she comes back from the knee injury but I don't think she's damaged goods (surely there is a more delicate idiom but it escapes me at the moment) or anything.
Of course my post was in jest. I do think that Turner is an outstanding player when healthy, which hopefully for her sake will be the case.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

OK, I know I should not "bite" on this comment, but I'm going to anyway because I like Turner. Of course I don't root or pull for her when they play UConn. During the rest of the year, yes. I for one would not have a problem IF she were to finish her college career on the east coast. I would gladly pick her up at the airport should she decide to finish her career playing for Geno. I'll bet it would be an experience she'd never forget or regret.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Of course my post was in jest. I do think that Turner is an outstanding player when healthy, which hopefully for her sake will be the case.

So was mine :)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
BY has about 4 or 5 times as many posts as Mcgraw's Bench on this topic.
I have not read them yet. I will not be surprised if ND fans are saying that they have 4 or 5 times as many posts on this topic as the Duke board.

Yes, there is only one current thread on McGraw's Bench on this most recent development which has about 10 to 12 hits.

In large measure, that's because there were numerous other threads on the board written since Bri suffered this injury. Given that it's her "home board," we tended to look at this in inches rather than feet. In short, this official announcement didn't come as a surprise, given the information and discussions we've had up to this date. Hence, the slightly measured outpouring.
(Plus, I suspect some of our contributors might still be on Labor Day break and/or are paying attention to another fall sport ND plays.)

And as one of the three (that I know of) folks that contribute to both boards, I'm not going to compare board posts...no need to. I'm secure enough in my approach and standing on both boards. If anything, I like to compare and learn from both boards.
Take a chance to read some of the posts on the Bench on this subject: Some describe the petition for a waiver to Jessica Shepard's playing status; others on how that might affect the approach the Irish coaching staff takes on the floor; and, some on how it impacts recruiting. Like here, some posts are geared toward the home school; others you take with a grain of salt; and, some you learn and/or laugh from. Bingo.

That's what it's all about. After all, we're all WCBB and WBB fans, right?

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Brilliant summary Cat. But who knows what Muffet stomping on her tuffit and the omnipresent ND alumni mafia can pull off.
Tuffet? Too funny. What, no curds and whey? Oh, sorry, I didn't know Muffet is lactose intolerant.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I was being factious when I suggested that there might be a long shot, or outside chance that Turner could finish her career at UConn. It was nothing more than wishful thinking. Last year, Lily Thompson left Stanford for ND after 3 years, so it would not be unprecedented, although I must admit highly unlikely for a lot of reasons.

Oldude, your scenario is very plausible. We all remember Morgan Tuck saying that she would return for her "red-shirt" senior year. At the time she said that, she probably meant it, but things and times change. When it came time for the rubber to meet the road (when she had to make a decision whether or not to declare for the WNBA draft), she chose to leave with her classmates, and enter the draft.

I believe as many other BY'ers do that IF she had returned for her 4th year, UConn would have won the NC. Not only would she have provided 4th year veteran leadership, she would have provided Geno with more team depth and experience. Senior Saniya Chong would have been the 6th man instead of freshman Crystal Dangerfield.

Turner's mindset may shift/change come March, and she may no longer wish to return. I'm NOT saying it will, just that it can. She is a senior, and will be eligible to graduate this spring.
She may wish to turn the page, and move on to the next chapter in her life, which if she is completely healthy, should include at the very least, a serious look in the WNBA. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
I was being factious when I suggested that there might be a long shot, or outside chance that Turner could finish her career at UConn. It was nothing more than wishful thinking. Last year, Lily Thompson left Stanford for ND after 3 years, so it would not be unprecedented, although I must admit highly unlikely for a lot of reasons.

Oldude, your scenario is very plausible. We all remember Morgan Tuck saying that she would return for her "red-shirt" senior year. At the time she said that, she probably meant it, but things and times change. When it came time for the rubber to meet the road (when she had to make a decision whether or not to declare for the WNBA draft), she chose to leave with her classmates, and enter the draft.

I believe as many other BY'ers do that IF she had returned for her 4th year, UConn would have won the NC. Not only would she have provided 4th year veteran leadership, she would have provided Geno with more team depth and experience. Senior Saniya Chong would have been the 6th man instead of freshman Crystal Dangerfield.

Turner's mindset may shift/change come March, and she may no longer wish to return. I'm NOT saying it will, just that it can. She is a senior, and will be eligible to graduate this spring.
She may wish to turn the page, and move on to the next chapter in her life, which if she is completely healthy, should include at the very least, a serious look in the WNBA. Time will tell.
Tuck hedged from day 1 ("My plan is to return..."), and Turner is already hedging. Muffet is the one who talked about Turner's "firm commitment" to return, not Turner herself. Wishful thinking and subtle manipulation. Even if Turner's mind was already made up to leave, she couldn't say it now because she wants to continue in school on scholarship. I haven't seen anything from her saying she's definitely coming back.

Carnac

Reaction Score
To me, even if she had said something herself it wouldn't matter. Jewell Loyd was definitely staying until she definitely didn't.

I think everyone here in the yard gasped, and was shocked beyond words when Loyd threw Muffet that wicked 3-2 knuckleball with 2 out and the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th, for a called third strike.
:eek: None of us saw that one coming. Speaking of Ms. Loyd, do you know if she's welcome back on campus at this time, after she left Ms. Muffet and her teammates "hanging" on her way out?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think everyone here in the yard gasped, and was shocked beyond words when Loyd threw Muffet that wicked 3-2 knuckleball with 2 out and the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th, for a called third strike.
:eek: None of us saw that one coming. Speaking of Ms. Loyd, do you know if she's welcome back on campus at this time, after she left Ms. Muffet and her teammates "hanging" on her way out?

Loyd came back to campus late winter/early spring and Coach MM made sure she saw all the ND alums in the WNBA this season. Some back and forth below...

Jewell B Loyd‏Verified account @jewellloyd
Congratulations to coach Muffet McGraw on being inducted to the Basketball Hall of Fame!

C8lKelqVYAQBlKb.jpg

9:05 AM - 4 Apr 2017

NOTRE DAME WBB‏Verified account @ndwbb
The field is set! Good luck to our #IrishintheWNBA in playoffs! Your #NDFamily is behind you!

DIur2F4WsAAI-El.jpg

8:39 AM - 2 Sep 2017

Carnac

Reaction Score
Loyd came back to campus late winter/early spring and Coach MM made sure she saw all the ND alums in the WNBA this season. Some back and forth below...

Jewell B Loyd‏Verified account @jewellloyd
Congratulations to coach Muffet McGraw on being inducted to the Basketball Hall of Fame!

C8lKelqVYAQBlKb.jpg

9:05 AM - 4 Apr 2017

NOTRE DAME WBB‏Verified account @ndwbb
The field is set! Good luck to our #IrishintheWNBA in playoffs! Your #NDFamily is behind you!

DIur2F4WsAAI-El.jpg

8:39 AM - 2 Sep 2017

Thanks for the update. Glad to see that she's remains in good standing with Muffet and the University. It's always nice to be able to home again. These 3 ladies are representing ND well!! I was especially glad to see Lindsey catch on with the Liberty, as they are one of my favorite W teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom