Brianna Turner out for 2017-2018 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Brianna Turner out for 2017-2018

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The biggest circumstance for the NCAA to accept the request to play immediately is for the departing school in this case Nebraska to support the request-tansfer-release agreement. The criteria is spelled out here.
Transfer terms

Chatrice White from Illinois to FSU was successful in her request a year ago.

I was thinking of exactly the same player in relation to the request for Shepard.

It's an interesting scenario...if Shepard can play this year (17-18), she'd be paired up with Westbeld, who is coming off her own ankle surgery (supposedly successfully), which she also played through at the end of the year.

Those two would be backed up by Coco Nelson and the two frosh, Mik Vaughn and Danielle Patterson. Would miss Bri in any instance, but not a bad frontcourt to go with Ogunbowale, Mabrey, Young and Thompson.

And then Turner would come back to pair with Shepard the following year and the two frosh would have a year under their belt.

No waiver for Shepard and it's small ball this year in which we'll have to outscore everyone. I don't think Arike O. and Marina Mabrey will shy away from the task, joined by Young. ;)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
repulsive is a big word. I completely agree that she's a real gamer, a really tough kid and has the respect of everyone who loves the game. But we've speculated before about players going pro early or holding back in order to get a better shot at a higher draft choice (famously a certain Notre Damer went early 2 years ago, likely for that very reason, to get drafted a year before Stewie). That's an economic decision no different from one that high schoolers make about what coach/program would them the best shot at being a pro, so I don't know why it's "repulsive." I was sort of joking as you note, but we do sometimes wonder about all players, including, for example, Z, so why not Turner?

Just to play leprechaun's advocate, I'd say the more interesting subject for "wondering" would be Breezy Bri's transfer buddy, Center Jessica Shepard.

Why? Right now, Shepard needs to sit out a year, per NCAA guidelines. As pointed out in this thread, ND has put in for a waiver and hopes to get her on the court this year, in part to help address the huge absence of Ms. Turner.

If that waiver comes through, Jessica could man the center position this year (17-18) with steady eddie, Kat Westbeld at the high post. In 2018-19, she'd join with Breezy Bri to form a very potent twosome in the paint. Both of them could then ride off into the sunset or the WNBA.

Where it gets interesting is if that waiver is denied and Jessica can't play until 2018-19. Does she play one year with Turner (who only has one more year of eligibility) or and then skip her last year of eligibility and make herself available for the draft (a la what some folks are suggesting for Z, right?).

In South Bend, I suggest that might be the center of the eligibility attention ... at least next year. ;)

Reaction Score
Agreed. Very talented, very determined. But how much of an outside shot? how much ability to drive from the wing or baseline? I sense more from the baseline, and more of her points coming from plays designed for her underneath or from her great ability to rebound and put back. At least, that's my sense of her offensive skills.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Very talented, very determined. But how much of an outside shot? how much ability to drive from the wing or baseline? I sense more from the baseline, and more of her points coming from plays designed for her underneath or from her great ability to rebound and put back. At least, that's my sense of her offensive skills.

No doubt she is a tremendous athlete, rebounder, and defender but I agree that her offensive game is quite limited. She gets the majority of her points on put backs and run outs due to her ability to run the floor so well. Her back to the basket game is average at best and she has not shown an ability to consistently knock down mid range jump shots let alone 3 pointers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Best wishes to Brianna! That makes sense.

That will weaken the Irish in 2018 but strengthen them in 2019. It also shifts a key player in the draft to a year later.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No doubt she is a tremendous athlete, rebounder, and defender but I agree that her offensive game is quite limited. She gets the majority of her points on put backs and run outs due to her ability to run the floor so well. Her back to the basket game is average at best and she has not shown an ability to consistently knock down mid range jump shots let alone 3 pointers.
I wished you had both save this critique of her game for another time. On a day when one of WCBB best will be missing the season anything but well wishes seems kind of petty.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Glad she's sitting out so she'll hopefully have a 100% healthy senior season. Would much rather see that than only have her play a few months while healthy.

Notre Dame may not be Final Four favorite this year, but they still an elite backcourt with Arike, Mabrey and Thompson in the mix. Westbeld will have to play big and hopefully the freshmen are better than advertised. Notre Dame also seems to thrive in an underdog role so I wouldn't be surprised if they surprise a lot of people this year.
I look for Young to rebound a lot, using her athleticism. She can be like Kaila Charles of Maryland.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wish her the best - always enjoyed seeing her on the court, except against UCONN! LOL.

I wonder how that will impact them this year. Seems like ND might be a border line top 10 team - they lost #2 scorer from last year (Turner) to injury, #4 (Allen) to graduation, #7 (Boley) to transfer, and #10 (Patberg) to transfer. They bring back Ogunbowale, Maybrey, Westbeld and Young (all likely starters?). They also bring in Patterson (#30) and Vaughn (#56).

Not sure there is much help there for this season. Maybe the 5th starter will be Lilli Thompson? Not a big lineup, but ND rarely has had big lineups. 3 guards and 2 forwards? Are they a top 10 team this year?
I expect Thompson to start and the Irish to play small ball, as they often do.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just to play leprechaun's advocate, I'd say the more interesting subject for "wondering" would be Breezy Bri's transfer buddy, Center Jessica Shepard.

Why? Right now, Shepard needs to sit out a year, per NCAA guidelines. As pointed out in this thread, ND has put in for a waiver and hopes to get her on the court this year, in part to help address the huge absence of Ms. Turner.

If that waiver comes through, Jessica could man the center position this year (17-18) with steady eddie, Kat Westbeld at the high post. In 2018-19, she'd join with Breezy Bri to form a very potent twosome in the paint. Both of them could then ride off into the sunset or the WNBA.

Where it gets interesting is if that waiver is denied and Jessica can't play until 2018-19. Does she play one year with Turner (who only has one more year of eligibility) or and then skip her last year of eligibility and make herself available for the draft (a la what some folks are suggesting for Z, right?).

In South Bend, I suggest that might be the center of the eligibility attention ... at least next year. ;)
Shepard certainly looked more fit and played well at USA basketball trials. ND will need to give Westbeld much help if she is the only post on the floor for ND. She struggles down there.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The biggest circumstance for the NCAA to accept the request to play immediately is for the departing school in this case Nebraska to support the request-tansfer-release agreement. The criteria is spelled out here.
Transfer terms

Chatrice White from Illinois to FSU was successful in her request a year ago.

Maybe I am reading this wrong but the rules say that all three bullet points must be satisfied and I don't think bullet 1 is satisfied for one time transfer exception. In particular,

"If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports (WBB being on that list), you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship"

Here, it seems the waiver section is the relevant one.

Waiver: An action that sets aside an NCAA rule because a specific, extraordinary circumstance prevents you from meeting the rule. An NCAA school may file a waiver on your behalf; you cannot file a waiver for yourself. The school does not administer the waiver, the conference office or NCAA does.

Of course, the NCAA can do what they want since consistency is nit their strong suit

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I expect Thompson to start and the Irish to play small ball, as they often do.

Yeah, I definitely expect Thompson-Ogwunbowale-Mabrey-Young-Westbeld as a starting lineup.

Even if Shepard is not allowed to play, Vaughn and Patterson will give ND more depth in the post than they had last year. Koko Nelson was largely ineffective as a backup post last year. I don't expect Vaughn or Patterson to be stars out of the gate, but they may at least be an upgrade on Nelson.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Here, it seems the waiver section is the relevant one.

Waiver: An action that sets aside an NCAA rule because a specific, extraordinary circumstance prevents you from meeting the rule. An NCAA school may file a waiver on your behalf; you cannot file a waiver for yourself. The school does not administer the waiver, the conference office or NCAA does.

Of course, the NCAA can do what they want since consistency is nit their strong suit

Yes, the waiver section seems more on point which is why Muffet used that term.

My guess is that Notre Dame will use as precedent the case of Shepard's former Nebraska teammate, Natalie Romeo, who transferred from Nebraska after Yori resigned amidst allegations of mistreatment of players. Recall that Romeo supported Yori and was critical of some of her former teammates, referring to them as immature. Some say Romeo's criticisms were directed at least in part at Shepard. In any event, Romeo sought a waiver from the NCAA (without support from Nebraska) and it was granted.

Unlike Romeo, Shepard chose to remain at Nebraska after Yori resigned and played a full season for new coach Amy Williams before deciding to transfer to Notre Dame. A year removed from the Yori allegations, there seem to be no issues with the new Nebraska coach that would cause player departures.

I don't see the NCAA granting ND/Shepard's waiver request, but stranger things have happened.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yes, the waiver section seems more on point which is why Muffet used that term.

My guess is that Notre Dame will use as precedent the case of Shepard's former Nebraska teammate, Natalie Romeo, who transferred from Nebraska after Yori resigned amidst allegations of mistreatment of players. Recall that Romeo supported Yori and was critical of some of her former teammates, referring to them as immature. Some say Romeo's criticisms were directed at least in part at Shepard. In any event, Romeo sought a waiver from the NCAA (without support from Nebraska) and it was granted.

Unlike Romeo, Shepard chose to remain at Nebraska after Yori resigned and played a full season for new coach Amy Williams before deciding to transfer to Notre Dame. A year removed from the Yori allegations, there seem to be no issues with the new Nebraska coach that would cause player departures.

I don't see the NCAA granting ND/Shepard's waiver request, but stranger things have happened.

Brilliant summary Cat. But who knows what Muffet stomping on her tuffit and the omnipresent ND alumni mafia can pull off.

Reaction Score
Has she ever played a full season for ND? I doubt she comes back for a 4th year and tries her luck in the W.

Reaction Score
Not intending to throw shade on the Irish but it's possible that Turner will rehab this year and then go pro next May. I noticed that tweet never mentioned playing next season.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
repulsive is a big word. I completely agree that she's a real gamer, a really tough kid and has the respect of everyone who loves the game. But we've speculated before about players going pro early or holding back in order to get a better shot at a higher draft choice (famously a certain Notre Damer went early 2 years ago, likely for that very reason, to get drafted a year before Stewie). That's an economic decision no different from one that high schoolers make about what coach/program would them the best shot at being a pro, so I don't know why it's "repulsive." I was sort of joking as you note, but we do sometimes wonder about all players, including, for example, Z, so why not Turner?
Bags, I think your premise is wrong. There is no bonus money for the slot where you are drafted. The WNBA has a pretty rigid set of salary slots-http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/wnba-salaries.php
So waiting or leaving early does not gain you any big bonus per se'. Jewell Lloyd did not benefit by going #1 with any bonus. She benefitted by starting her pro career early and to go overseas. And before the fans on this board bemoan the salaries, understand and acknowledge the WNBA is a business and the revenues generated simply do not allow for any real money to be made. That's why there are only 12 teams. Overseas leagues are more like hobbies for super wealthy individuals or cities/conglomerates to have their constituents enjoy something.

Reaction Score
My heart goes out to Turner and her plight.... as a poster said here.... this kid could use some better luck..... God Bless Brianna and please get well ASAP!!! And may the good forces guide you....

And all the talk about Shepard.... it would be interesting to see her fill the middle.... she was not that impressive at Nebraska in my opinion..... not worthy of #3 overall in USA

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Terrible news. Somehow BT reminds me of Brittany Hunter. A great player cut down for maybe some bad. decision making.
like what... not choosing UConn :rolleyes:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Not intending to throw shade on the Irish but it's possible that Turner will rehab this year and then go pro next May. I noticed that tweet never mentioned playing next season.

images

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Has she ever played a full season for ND? I doubt she comes back for a 4th year and tries her luck in the W.

From the article in the South Bend Tribune (nd.insider) that came out a bit after the tweet:
"ND head coach Muffet McGraw said Tuesday that her senior All-America center has elected to sit out the coming season but has firm plans to play for the Irish in 2018-19 as a grad student."

I strongly suspect (and hope!) that this is the route she'll follow, as I wrote in an earlier post. One of the reasons is that she'll get to play with incoming transfer and good friend Jessica Shepard in 2018-19. Turner (low post) and Shepard (high post) will be make for a formidable duo, if Bri's rehabilitation works well. Joining them will be Arike Ogunbowale, Jackie Young and Marina Mabrey.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
like what... not choosing UConn :rolleyes:

I and a few others at the time of the injury believed the season should have ended and surgery performed. Sort of a Brittany Hunter situation and we all know, in hindsight, the bad coach/staff decision effectively put an end to BH's aspirations for basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom