Brianna Turner out for 2017-2018 | The Boneyard

Brianna Turner out for 2017-2018

Reaction Score
now, let's hear no nasty comments like she's wanting to outwait Wilson and hoping that Z only plays one year at UConn. Woops! I guess I messed up and said it myself. My bad....

Seriously, she's had a run of tough luck and this will be good for her.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
now, let's hear no nasty comments like she's wanting to outwait Wilson and hoping that Z only plays one year at UConn.

Anyone who would deride Brianna Turner for sitting out with an injury would be a complete and utter fool. She played through not one but two shoulders dislocations. After the second one, the coaches wanted her to shut it down, but she decided to keep playing in a brace and delay her surgery (and the 6-month recovery therefrom) to the offseason.

I know you are just being cheeky but even the suggestion of such comments is repulsive. The kid is a gamer, through and through.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Given the timing of her injury, this always seemed like the most logical outcome to me.

I'm glad she will have time to heal and rehab fully. Best wishes for her recovery -- it will be great when she is back competing again.

Reaction Score
Anyone who would deride Brianna Turner for sitting out with an injury would be a complete and utter fool. She played through not one but two shoulders dislocations. After the second one, the coaches wanted her to shut it down, but she decided to keep playing in a brace and delay her surgery (and the 6-month recovery therefrom) to the offseason.
I know you are just being cheeky but even the suggestion of such comments is repulsive. The kid is a gamer, through and through.
repulsive is a big word. I completely agree that she's a real gamer, a really tough kid and has the respect of everyone who loves the game. But we've speculated before about players going pro early or holding back in order to get a better shot at a higher draft choice (famously a certain Notre Damer went early 2 years ago, likely for that very reason, to get drafted a year before Stewie). That's an economic decision no different from one that high schoolers make about what coach/program would them the best shot at being a pro, so I don't know why it's "repulsive." I was sort of joking as you note, but we do sometimes wonder about all players, including, for example, Z, so why not Turner?

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wish her the best - always enjoyed seeing her on the court, except against UCONN! LOL.

I wonder how that will impact them this year. Seems like ND might be a border line top 10 team - they lost #2 scorer from last year (Turner) to injury, #4 (Allen) to graduation, #7 (Boley) to transfer, and #10 (Patberg) to transfer. They bring back Ogunbowale, Maybrey, Westbeld and Young (all likely starters?). They also bring in Patterson (#30) and Vaughn (#56).

Not sure there is much help there for this season. Maybe the 5th starter will be Lilli Thompson? Not a big lineup, but ND rarely has had big lineups. 3 guards and 2 forwards? Are they a top 10 team this year?

Reaction Score
Seems like the best decision for her future! hopefully she'll have a full recovery!
Is Jessica Sheppard cleared to play this season or will she be able to play only in 2018-19?

HGN

Reaction Score
I really feel bad for her..... Tough as nails but can't seem to shake the injury bug. But I would rather see her sit out and get healthy and come back healthy , confident in her knees and shoulder , and ready to go. She really deserves a good healthy season.

I wish her the best.

Reaction Score

If the coaches wanted to shut her down then they should have shut her down. Isnt that why Muffet makes the big bucks. IMO Brianna was deciding with her heart and not her head. WCBB will miss her this year but hpefully this time she will make a full recovery.

Reaction Score
If the coaches wanted to shut her down then they should have shut her down. Isnt that why Muffet makes the big bucks. IMO Brianna was deciding with her heart and not her head. WCBB will miss her this year but hpefully this time she will make a full recovery.
I don't remember exactly what happened when she initially injured her shoulder, but I'm pretty sure that Brianna got a 2nd opinion about whether it would have been harmful to play with the tear. IIRC (and I well may not!), Brianna and her parents talked this through with Muffet and the MDs.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Seems like the right call. No point rushing back and playing at less than 100%.

Nice to see you back in the mix Orangutan. Too bad you could have not have graced the yard with better news. I doubt this was breaking news to Muffet and her staff., as they were getting weekly updates from their medical staff and trainers since her surgery. I agree, it's the right call. Absolutely no need or reason to rush her back before she is 100%. It's hard to sit out during recovery and be a cheerleader, but it would be much harder to return too quickly and re-injure her knee to the point where it would effectively end her college career.

No doubt this will alter Muffet's plans for the year. Arkie Ogunbowale will no doubt inherit the role of being their first option on offense, and their leading scorer, and 6-3 freshman Miklayla Vaughn ready or not, may be pressed into a starting role out of necessity.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Quotes from Carol Owens re the 2nd shoulder injury. This is what I was referring to:

upload_2017-9-5_15-19-5.png

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Seems like the best decision for her future! hopefully she'll have a full recovery!
Is Jessica Sheppard cleared to play this season or will she be able to play only in 2018-19?

Latest word I've heard on Shepard - this from 17 days ago:

upload_2017-9-5_15-24-16.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It is not clear to me under what special hardship or circumstance, Shephard would get a redshirt waiver?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Glad she's sitting out so she'll hopefully have a 100% healthy senior season. Would much rather see that than only have her play a few months while healthy.

Notre Dame may not be Final Four favorite this year, but they still an elite backcourt with Arike, Mabrey and Thompson in the mix. Westbeld will have to play big and hopefully the freshmen are better than advertised. Notre Dame also seems to thrive in an underdog role so I wouldn't be surprised if they surprise a lot of people this year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is not clear to me under what special hardship or circumstance, Shephard would get a redshirt waiver?
The biggest circumstance for the NCAA to accept the request to play immediately is for the departing school in this case Nebraska to support the request-tansfer-release agreement. The criteria is spelled out here.
Transfer terms

Chatrice White from Illinois to FSU was successful in her request a year ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom