Brian Flores | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Brian Flores

Reaction Score
About as much as Michael Scott was a real candidate for Corporate job at Dunder Mifflin.
Yes, the owner texting you the same day they fire the coach, which he admits, is a fugazi interest.

Reaction Score
Also, Flores was 100% a real candidate for the Giants.
How would you know? Did John Mara or Steve Tisch tell you that?

Do you think it's possible they interviewed the most obvious minority head coach candidate just to satisfy the Rooney Rule? Which is what most people think and why the Rooney Rule is pretty much a sham.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Daboll was hired on Friday. Flores was interviewed on Thursday. The text, the only evidence, did not say a hire had been made. He wants it to, but it did not. If you think employers do not have a favorite but interview other candidates in all walks of life you are mistaken. Also, Flores was 100% a real candidate for the Giants.
It congratulated him before he was interviewed, obviously thinking he was Daboli. That’s more than someone would say to a mere favorite.

Belichek doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who would jump the gun unless he was sure. But I’m sure the discovery in the lawsuit will ferret out who knew what, when and how. It won’t be hard.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
The Giants also interviewed Patrick Graham and Leslie Frazier.

From a legal standpoint, aren’t the Bellichick texts simply hearsay?

Reaction Score
How would you know? Did John Mara or Steve Tisch tell you that?

Do you think it's possible they interviewed the most obvious minority head coach candidate just to satisfy the Rooney Rule? Which is what most people think and why the Rooney Rule is pretty much a sham.
They interviewed three black coaches. Not one. Mara texted Flores the day he fired Judge to tell Flores he was interested in him, Flores admits that, why would he bother to do that all for a fake interview?

I say this as a Giants fan who despises John Mara. I would love this to result in forcing the team. It won't, but I would love it.

Reaction Score
Flores is a mixed bag to me. Always had his team playing hard and posted two winning seasons. On the other hand, he went through coaches like crazy, moved players around like it was a little league team, and was beyond horrible in dealing with his quarterback. I guess we will see what sort of evidence he has regarding his claims towards the Dolphins, and a drunken John Elway.

Reaction Score
As a dolphins fan I wasn’t destroyed by his firing.
Years ago, when he was hired, QB play, OLine & run game we’re our weaknesses. These are the same weaknesses today.
3 wins vs playoff teams last 2 years.(2 we’re NE this year)
Last 2 years win out & be in the playoffs & get blown out by 20+ In week 17

Reaction Score
I’m not really sure how you can force an Owner (basically a private company) to hire minorities. The Rooney rule while made to give minorities a better chance is a sham

Flores is a good coach and deserves to be a head coach but this probably ends his career. The Miami accusations are insane if they are true. That owner is toast

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Which is why the Rooney Rule, while it has good intentions, is almost insulting.
This is it in a nutshell. If you know who you want you shouldn’t need to interview anybody else. It’s stupid and doesn’t help solve anything. Many of those interviews are a formality to comply.

Reaction Score
I was surprised they interviewed him in the first place. He was fired from Dolphins for not being on the "same page " with the GM and QB so why would a brand new GM stick his neck out? Would you?
Seems like he wasn't on the same "page" as the owner.

Reaction Score
The Belichick texts are the highlight for me. With the Brady retirement statement snub, the season ending drubbing by the Bills and now this? Ding dong, the Pats are dead.

Reaction Score
Maybe but doing a sham interview after you have already offered the job to someone else is pretty pathetic. As a Giants fan I would have preferred Flores myself.

If the Giants did what it looks then he should be pissed.

Thing is you may not want to start your team out at 1-7 if you want to whine.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It congratulated him before he was interviewed, obviously thinking he was Daboli. That’s more than someone would say to a mere favorite.

Belichek doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who would jump the gun unless he was sure. But I’m sure the discovery in the lawsuit will ferret out who knew what, when and how. It won’t be hard.

Sure but even if premature it certainly doesn’t prove any racial bias in hiring. It just proves that they decided on their guy before interviewing him. There is a reasonable chance internal emails show that as well. But as you said, whatever it is will come out.

Reaction Score
Giants are a mess but this isn't a Giants problem, it's an NFL problem. The Rooney Rule may have had good intentions towards fixing a problem but it's a sham. Giants knew who their guy was from the beginning.

The league has a major problem with only 1 black head coach and they have no clue how to fix it. I've heard Flores is kind of an arse hole but a solid coach. He's going to look good making this stand because the NFL has been so bad at handling this problem which is getting worse for them and Flores is taking the stand knowing it hurts his future employment.

The texts from BB are just weird, dude needs to handle his liquor better.

Reaction Score
Making a mockery of the Rooney Rule isn't a great look. It'll be interesting to find out how Bill Belichick ended up at the end of that game of telephone.

Reaction Score
Hey Guys,

"Cuz the law (or lawsuit) don't change another's mind, when all he sees at the hiring time, is the light on the color bar, No...." - Bruce Hornsby -

Conversely, no one should ever tell anyone else to hire someone because of their race - even rich, white NFL owners, & even if it's pragmatic. They can hire anyone they wish. Right or wrong, they own that world.

There is a lot about the specifics of this situation that we don't yet know. It'll come out in some form. There are many sides to this story.

America's main issue rages on & on. I'm glad that hoopsters pretty much "figured out" minority coaching inclusiveness relatively long ago, after a long fight.

I wish the brave Coach Flores all the best in finding a perfect position for his winning coaching style. His family should be proud of him for taking a stand.

alohachris

Last edited:

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
WFAN'a sports minute yesterday was Boomer saying how Daboll accepted the job on Friday but was offered the job earlier in the week. Couple that with the Belichick texts and it seems the Giants definitely tried to skirt the Rooney Rule (sham). Flores definitely has a leg to stand on but I think his future earnings as a coach would far outweigh his lawsuit winnings. Unfortunately for Flores, I do not think he will be coaching anywhere in NFL in the future.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Flores problem for the Giants job is that he isn't a doofus. That's all they hire.

Reaction Score
Too bad, he's a good coach. He would have had more credibility had he made his accusation while he was still employed.

Reaction Score
This is a class action suit. Expect more plaintiffs, and if it gets as far as the discovery phase, it's going to get wild. We all know the Rooney Rule is a sham. But is it a bad faith one? If so, then you have potential civil rights issues to tackle.

Stephen Ross however, is in a whole lot of trouble if he bought into a gambling venture and there is proof he bribed Flores to tank games to the tune of $100k per game.

Reaction Score
I found this pretty interesting because it sounded like Mara actually wanted Flores and Schoen wanted Daboll. It sounds like a Giants employee even mentioned to Flores that they might try and get Daboll as his OC if they hired him? It's a weird situation either way.

Regardless of what actually transpired, it seems like the Miami claims are much more severe but aren't being talked about as much. Maybe because there's not as much proof.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom