Brian Flores | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Brian Flores

Reaction Score
You're supposed to interview candidates before you make a hire not after. Flores didn't get an interview for a job, they wasted his time.
And you know this because….Flores said so?

Reaction Score
Not a fan of the Rooney rule. You shouldn't be forced to interview or not interview someone based on how they look. It should be done by merit. These are billion dollar organizations and it's 2022: you are not going to hire the #2 candidate just because the top candidate is black. It just so happens that only one coach is black. This time next year, four coaches could be black. The winds change based on who gets fired. They don't draft players based on skin color so it would make no sense for the owners to hire coaches based on skin color. The NBA btw has 12 black coaches. (I don't hear anyone complaining about underrepresentation of Latino or white coaches in the NBA- the black coaches are in those positions by merit not how they look).
The Rooney rule is well-intentioned but it doesn't address the main problem.

The NFL is a cesspool of nepotism. There's a reason lousy coaches get opportunity after opportunity. It's all about who you know. This starts from the very beginning with low-level hires. If you want to fix the inequality in GMs and Head Coaches, you start at the bottom so relationships can be formed.

Reaction Score
This is a class action suit. Expect more plaintiffs, and if it gets as far as the discovery phase, it's going to get wild. We all know the Rooney Rule is a sham. But is it a bad faith one? If so, then you have potential civil rights issues to tackle.

Stephen Ross however, is in a whole lot of trouble if he bought into a gambling venture and there is proof he bribed Flores to tank games to the tune of $100k per game.
Rooney rule is an nfl rule. It’s not a legal requirement. They interviewed graham and Frazier. Didn’t u ever interview someone and say that’s my guy. Even telling the candidate we want you but continue to interview to see if someone knocks your socks off? Flores is mad he didn’t get a job so he’s suing. Not a guy I want on my payroll. Rehab your image from being a bad manager and try again. So Rooney rule was ok when he got job in Miami?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The Rooney rule is well-intentioned but it doesn't address the main problem.

The NFL is a cesspool of nepotism. There's a reason lousy coaches get opportunity after opportunity. It's all about who you know. This starts from the very beginning with low-level hires. If you want to fix the inequality in GMs and Head Coaches, you start at the bottom so relationships can be formed.
Nepotism doesn't necessarily mean racism. That's a different issue.

Reaction Score
What did the Giants actually do wrong here?

We interviewed Flores in person (1/27), Leslie Frazier twice and in person (1/22 and 1/28), and Patrick Graham (1/26). Rooney rule, for what it is, fulfilled.

Daboll hired on Friday night 1/28 hours after the Frazier interview. But since BB accidentally texted Flores congratulating him on being the Giants guy before he interviewed, and before anything was made officially, while also being accidentally sent to Flores instead of Daboll, the Giants are being sued for discrimination?

What am I missing? Is there real evidence that the Giants hired Daboll before they fulfilled the Rooney Rule? Besides it being painfully obvious that Schoen wanted to bring his guy Daboll with him, I don’t see what the Giants did wrong to be punished for this mess

Reaction Score
Nepotism doesn't necessarily mean racism. That's a different issue.
No, it doesn't mean racism, but it is the main issue. If the coaches are overwhelmingly white, the majority of front offices are white, and the owners are all white, and they hire their white relatives and friends/friends kids for entry level positions, it's taking positions away from qualified minority candidates.

Reaction Score
Maybe this will finally get the sham of the Rooney Rule addressed. I don't think the Giants did anything wrong here per se, but if the Mara's get caught in the crossfire and need to go that would be nice. Seems unlikely given all the talk about the Mara's were the ones who actually wanted Flores as coach. There was even talk of Daboll going somewhere else (I think it was Miami) as recent as Thursday so I'm not sure I even buy that interview being a fake one anyway

Reaction Score
Rooney rule is an nfl rule. It’s not a legal requirement. They interviewed graham and Frazier. Didn’t u ever interview someone and say that’s my guy. Even telling the candidate we want you but continue to interview to see if someone knocks your socks off? Flores is mad he didn’t get a job so he’s suing. Not a guy I want on my payroll. Rehab your image from being a bad manager and try again. So Rooney rule was ok when he got job in Miami?
Nothing you’ve said here is relevant at all to what is transpiring.

Reaction Score
To me the spotlight should shift more toward hiring minority GM's instead of focusing primarily on head coaches. THAT to me is where you will start to plant the seeds to see a difference at the head coach level.

How about this idea for the NFL. Set a threshold at lets say 25%. If less than 25% of GM's and head coaches are minority, any team hiring a minority GM gets a pick at the end of the first round. Any team hiring a minority head coach gets a pick at the end of the second round.

Get rid of these fake interviews, and put some meat on the bone here. And really give that reward for the GM hire. That to me is where you can really change things. FWIW I believe that as of now if you lose a minority coach to another team (he becomes a head coach with another team) then you get two future 3rd round picks. But that hasn't driven much change as of yet.

Of course I come up with this plan about minority GMs driving change and then in regards to Flores, he was fired by a black GM in Miami and then a new black GM in Chicago passes on hiring him after the interview. Which to me makes me think race isn't SPECIFICALLY the issue in regards to Flores. Sounds like how he handled people in Miami really has a lot of people on edge. For now. He eventually would have been able to rehab his image and get a job next year IMO. Although that's all out the door now.

As for this Daboll/Flores thing it was pretty much all over the NY media the last week or so that this was setting up to be a Schoen vs Mara fight for head coach with Schoen wanting Daboll and Mara trying to push Flores on him. And in the end, Mara decided to relent and let his GM pick the coach. and now he's getting sued LOL. Mara just can't win. It's amazing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We will see what evidence comes out about what may or may not have happened between Flores and Miami. But he definitely ran coaches out, and a couple of players as well in Kenny Stills and Minkah Fitzpatrick. And while that happens, he was also really really bad in his treatment of his QB's. That is one thing you absolutely can not do in the NFL. He treated them all badly at some point, and that is a sure way to screw yourself.

Reaction Score
No, it doesn't mean racism, but it is the main issue. If the coaches are overwhelmingly white, the majority of front offices are white, and the owners are all white, and they hire their white relatives and friends/friends kids for entry level positions, it's taking positions away from qualified minority candidates.
Have you seen Jerry Reese the former GM?

Reaction Score
Tell me what the Rooney Rule has actually accomplished? Some African American coaches were given an interview at a job they weren't getting anyway because they owners didn't want to get in trouble? Feels like there's a better solution for the issue out there.

Reaction Score
Tell me what the Rooney Rule has actually accomplished? Some African American coaches were given an interview at a job they weren't getting anyway because they owners didn't want to get in trouble? Feels like there's a better solution for the issue out there.
The Rooney rule hasn't accomplished anything. Like I said, it's all about connections and if they want to increase the number of minority coaches then they need to be given more opportunities at the ground level so they can form those connections.

Reaction Score
The Giants have never had a black coach.
Neither has a lot of teams. They had a black GM for over a decade. If they hire Pep Hamilton they will have 3 black coordinators.

My guess is you did not read the complaint filed.

Reaction Score
What other teams have never had a black coach? Not head coach, coach.
I'm confused now, I thought you were saying head coach but are you suggesting the Giants have never had a black coach?

Reaction Score
What other teams have never had a black coach? Not head coach, coach.
I just told you the Giants have black coaches. They have a black DC and STC currently. What are you talking about???

Reaction Score
The Giants have never had a black coach.
They’ve always had a ton of black non head coaches and their GM prior to Gettleman was black. They have no problem putting African Americans in positions of power.

Reaction Score
They’ve always had a ton of black non head coaches and their GM prior to Gettleman was black. They have no problem putting African Americans in positions of power.
Not surprising the guy who throws out, without pointing to anything specific, that there is a lot racism in this thread also has literally no idea what he is talking about on the subject at hand.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not surprising the guy who throws out, without pointing to anything specific, that there is a lot racism in this thread also has literally no idea what he is talking about on the subject at hand.
Could be true on this one as I was repeating something I heard on TV. I should have put in the question mark. And do I have to point out the casual racism? It's so obvious. I hesitate because these days there is more pushback to pointing out racism than being racist.

Reaction Score
Could be true on this one as I was repeating something I heard on TV. I should have put in the question mark. And do I have to point out the casual racism? It's so obvious. I hesitate because these days there is more pushback to pointing out racism than being racist.
So you admit you were insinuating the Giants are racist based on something you heard on TV, despite responding to a comment that directly contradicted it. Maybe there is pushback because situations like where it is just thrown around by people who have zero idea about what they are talking about on the subject?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's not the just the Giants, it's the NFL and their fans. I mean, read this thread.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom