Brendan Adams (URI decommit) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Brendan Adams (URI decommit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I actually like him as a fit.

I'm skeptical he's a starter type here - but he strikes me as a guy who could outperform his projections over time and he's slam dunk 4 year guy I think who can contribute as a second guard off the bench at least. For a rebuilding year? Give this kid 10-15 minutes a game as a freshman, we see how he evolves - he's a useful piece. Doesn't mean you can't still go after someone else. And he doesn't suck. He's a top 150 guy. He's useful.
Well all the Uconn fans in Amsterdam agree with you. Must be that smoke in the air here.

Reaction Score
And yet somehow UConn has more National Championships than Kansas
I can't believe the disrespect we get. I can't wait until we are back. Two bad years with a poor coaching choice and we are written off. I can't wait until we start beating the "elites" again. And we will. ( better to be an optimist). Seriously, I think Hurley is going to do a great job.

Reaction Score
This is what our school thought Ollie would do. I'm interested to see what Kobe's ties with the women's program does...Maybe some secondary effects for the men's program .
We got suckered into hiring Ollie. I don't know what JC was thinking. Putting a guy with relativly no coaching experience in charge of a major program. Him being a Uconn icon and a nice guy are hardly qualifacations to put him in as HC.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I discarded Brown’s tenure at Kansas because he was only there for five years - he really doesn’t fit in with what we’re talking about here.
That's a long tenure for Larry Brown

Reaction Score
We got suckered into hiring Ollie. I don't know what JC was thinking. Putting a guy with relativly no coaching experience in charge of a major program. Him being a Uconn icon and a nice guy are hardly qualifacations to put him in as HC.
Kevin Ollie won a national championship. He kept the program from imploding in 2013.

TJT

Reaction Score
Given the lateness with recruiting, we may have to settle on lower level recruits this year. Adams may fit the bill for a year or two. He can then be recruited over once Hurley has things rolling. Adams can then accept either sitting on the bench or transferring out.

Reaction Score
Given the lateness with recruiting, we may have to settle on lower level recruits this year. Adams may fit the bill for a year or two. He can then be recruited over once Hurley has things rolling. Adams can then accept either sitting on the bench or transferring out.

Or everyone is under-rating him big-time (like his older bro) and becomes an integral part of the team...

Reaction Score
KO made a big mistake in losing his experienced assistants (most were previous D1 head coaches) and replacing them with inexperienced guys that were decent recruiters but clearly couldn’t develop or identify talent at this level. They also couldn’t close for crap.

JC picked the right guy and left him set up for success. He then succeeded for a few years before dismantling the structure JC left him and at the same time becoming cocky and working less. JC didn’t see KO going that route, that was his only mistake.

The KO that we saw early on was a different coach. He was hungry, professional, polished looking and relied on the experience of his staff. The KO that was fired looked tired, clueless, lost, frustrated and almost disheveled despite the expensive suits. This experience will teach KO to remember what got him there and to either get his stuff together or retire.

Reaction Score
As to the KO-bashing, however misplaced in this thread, it is well-earned. KO's coaching methods could only have worked with a squad of 5-stars, but he failed to recruit 5-stars. He failed despite the UConn brand name, his close NBA ties and the personal cachet his NC won for him. He failed because he didn't expend the effort, and he didn't expend the effort partly because of his personal problems. That brings his personal problems entirely within the realm of legitimate criticism within this forum. The defenses of KO are all scattershot. It is not a defense of KO to say that he won in 2014 with four exceptional starters that he did not recruit. It only proves the point.

Reaction Score
KO made a big mistake in losing his experienced assistants (most were previous D1 head coaches) and replacing them with inexperienced guys that were decent recruiters but clearly couldn’t develop or identify talent at this level. They also couldn’t close for crap.

JC picked the right guy and left him set up for success. He then succeeded for a few years before dismantling the structure JC left him and at the same time becoming cocky and working less. JC didn’t see KO going that route, that was his only mistake.

The KO that we saw early on was a different coach. He was hungry, professional, polished looking and relied on the experience of his staff. The KO that was fired looked tired, clueless, lost, frustrated and almost disheveled despite the expensive suits. This experience will teach KO to remember what got him there and to either get his stuff together or retire.
Good right-up HH! I think you summarized his tenure very well..and fairly too! I remember him and the players being interviewed after the big win over MSU in Germany in the Armed Forces Classic. No one really expected it...but the guys played so hard for him. Damn he, and they, made me feel proud! But then he gradually began to change, he did become a different coach! Eventually...it was time to move on...unfortunately for everyone. Hopefully he learns and adjusts... because there's no question he's still a great guy at heart!! Wish him all the best!!

Edit: Sorry about the thread misplacement...but felt that summary was one of the best I've seen on the board. Wanted to acknowledge that.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
And then imploded it in the four years following the championship. He had some successes. He had some failures. I think both you and Mokum are right.
See, I kind of view a natty as a little more than "some successes." Keeping the program together and Bazz and Boat home during the ban year was key as well. We don't win in 2014 without it.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Stop turning this thread into a Kevin Ollie thread. No more off topic posts.

Any news on Adams visit? Thought we might hear something (either good or bad).

@Dove is slacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger