2025 Recruiting: - Braylon Mullins discusses his recruitment, timeline | Page 16 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Braylon Mullins discusses his recruitment, timeline

JerseyAlum

St. Anthony's Fan; UConn tennis alum
Reaction Score
It all factors in. Adams, from New Jersey, goes to school in Indiana. After traveling to Vegas for a weekend to go to an all-star camp (as kids do), he flies home to make his commitment to UConn before heading back to Indiana. Lots of travel.

But don't think UConn being close to Jersey didn't help.

Sure if Mullins was from Connecticut and UConn had easy access to PT the choice would be easy. If he chooses Indiana it isn't just about being close to home, it is also not having to beat out Nowell, Ball, Mahaney, Adams, Stewart, Ross, and Abraham for PT. Oh and another reported $750k.
Coach Hurley is from NJ

Reaction Score
If Mullins is truly a OAD player, then he’s talking about leaving home roughly 8-9 months earlier than if he stayed in Indiana and attended IU. He’d be expected in Storrs sometime in the summer of 2025 for summer workouts and would play through the end of UCONN’s NCAA Tournament run, which is March or April 2026. If he really is going to be drafted he’ll be leaving school before the semester ends and start training wherever his agent sets him up before the draft which will occur in June 2026. If I’m his father I’d tell him to make the best decision for your career, I hope a mature 18-19 kid could be able to figure out what his best career option might be for a few months of “home cooking” being sacrificed before he’s offered the opportunity at riches far beyond what most of us could ever imagine.
I think if he goes to IU he won’t be a one and done. His parents won’t have to travel very much maybe for years.

Reaction Score
Woodson is under pressure to modernize his offense with more 3 pt shooting(Indiana shot 538 3's vs 788 Purdue and 815 UConn)--he says he only needs the personnel; I'm not sure it would be wise for Mullins to walk into an experiment, instead of a highly developed movement scheme at UConn designed for screens for shooters. This year Woodson's main recruits are two bigs, Ballo and Reneau.

Reaction Score
Woodson is under pressure to modernize his offense with more 3 pt shooting(Indiana shot 538 3's vs 788 Purdue and 815 UConn)--he says he only needs the personnel; I'm not sure it would be wise for Mullins to walk into an experiment, instead of a highly developed movement scheme at UConn designed for screens for shooters. This year Woodson's main recruits are two bigs, Ballo and Reneau.

Most guys can't really just modernize the offense on a whim like Hurley did with Luke's influence, and it's not just about personnel. It was actually surprising JUST how fast Hurley turned a 180 on offense. When a coach is making real-time decision, they have to know the offense inside and out. It's why you can't just steal someone's playbook and be a successful coach.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Taking this small excerpt from a really long piece I thought was interesting.

Two of the hurdles IU has to overcome are film and metrics. IU has been primarily a post-oriented team Mike Woodson’s first three years. IU in 2023-24 was dead last among high-major teams in points per game from 3-point range. UConn has made sure Mullins is very aware of that.

UConn also has hit Mullins — and other recruiting prospects — with film of how many times it has four 3-point shooters on the floor, the number of times guards are used per game in dribble handoffs, in pick and rolls, etc.

Now, Indiana plans to change its offense, and has been working on that since the summer. That’s all good for IU. That’s a positive for IU.

Mullins has been to IU and observed those workouts.

But when it comes to recruiting, if you really haven’t done it, you can say it. You can mean it. But if a player hasn’t seen it in games — especially if it’s over a prospect’s entire high school career — it can be tough to make verbal promises have more impact than film and metrics, especially when that film and those metrics are from a team that has won consecutive national titles winning all 12 NCAA Tournament games by double figures.

Reaction Score

Two of the hurdles IU has to overcome are film and metrics. IU has been primarily a post-oriented team Mike Woodson’s first three years. IU in 2023-24 was dead last among high-major teams in points per game from 3-point range. UConn has made sure Mullins is very aware of that.

UConn also has hit Mullins — and other recruiting prospects — with film of how many times it has four 3-point shooters on the floor, the number of times guards are used per game in dribble handoffs, in pick and rolls, etc.

Now, Indiana plans to change its offense, and has been working on that since the summer. That’s all good for IU. That’s a positive for IU.

But when it comes to recruiting, if you really haven’t done it, you can say it. You can mean it. But if a player hasn’t seen it in games — especially if it’s over a prospect’s entire high school career — it can be tough to make verbal promises have more impact than film and metrics, especially when that film and those metrics are from a team that has won consecutive national titles winning all 12 NCAA Tournament games by double figures.
It shouldn’t take too much advanced analytics or film to see it

UConn designed a good chunk of its entire offense 2 years ago to get a young sniper (Jordan Hawkins) good looks. He became one of the best shooters in the country and an NBA lottery pick

Then UConn took in a 23 year old, 5th year, small, unathletic guy, designed a good chunk of its entire offense to get him good looks, and he became an NBA draft pick (Cam Spencer)

Now UConn is taking a guy who originally wanted to go to Indiana, realized that UConn would design a good chunk of its entire offense to get him good looks, and now he’s a projected lottery pick (Liam McNeeley)

If he wants to stay near home, I have absolutely no issue with that. Family is important. He should know, and does know, that going to UConn is the better long term decision. But if he bets on himself to stay home, we have to respect that decision

Reaction Score
What about Ball, Ross and Singare?

Singare is a devepment piece that I'm not sure when and how much he'll contribute.

Ross seems to be developing into a player which might begin to carve out some minutes this season.

There's been a lot of talk about Ball being a major contributor this upcoming season.

We know that Diarra and Samson are in their last season of eligibility.

We can assume Alex will enter the draft as a likely first round pick.

All indications are that McNeeley will likely enter the draft as a lottery pick hopeful.

UConn has just 12 scholarship players, which means they have 2 more open slots next season with rosters being expanded to 14.

We don't know who else might elevate their game this season enough to enter the draft and who might decide to enter the portal...no speculations please, nor do I have any.

Ship wise, UConn had enough to take Adams (CG) , Mullins (CG), Bundalo (4/5 Combo), Reibe (Stretch-5) and Lewis (1 with combo skills).

Now that would create a ton of competition next season. All of those recruits each add unique skills and styles of play that would certainly help UConn continue to stay on top. Adams is an excellent off the ball motion mover/scorer (Rip type player). Mullins adds similar skills as Adams but is bigger and stronger (Cam type player). Lewis has more 1-skills than those two, who can distribute and keep his dribble active to create his own scoring opportunities especially when the clock is running down (sort of a Newton/Castle-light skill set.). Bundalo is an Alex type 4 who has the size to defend the 4 or even 5 if needed plus has some wing skills. Lastly Reibe would give us some Clingan skills but with more advanced jumpshot skill out to 3 though needs to develop his post skills.

What's scary about this collection of recruits is they can all knock down 3s, which is crazy to think that we have a shot at landing some or most of these players.

My guess is we land 2 of the 3 guards, though I would like to land all of them since each one gives us something a little different than the other that all fit Hurley's culture and system. As for the two bigs, they clearly fill two spots that will open up due to players that will be moving on.

Whatever need the staff doesn't fill with one of these or some other heralded recruits, will be filled via the portal. I'm excited to see who we end up with by the early signing period.
I agree mostly with what you wrote. My only observation is that with Aidan, Ball, Nowell and Adams we already are set at the guard spot. Even more so if we can get Mullins. I am not sure Lewis is needed with our current roster. Adding Bundalo and Reibe would be phenomenal.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

FUB7jqRXEAkzAph.jpg

Reaction Score

what article is this from?

Reaction Score
He lives 1 hr 23 min drive from Bloomington, and flying time to Bradley is only 1 hr 56 min--probably less Gulfstream to Windham.

Reaction Score

Choice seems pretty obvious but I get wanting to stay close to home and play at the local school. Hurley’s track record at this point speaks for itself tho & he will get the absolute most of him as a player. Cant really say the same about the other coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom