2025 Recruiting: - Braylon Mullins discusses his recruitment, timeline | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Braylon Mullins discusses his recruitment, timeline

Reaction Score
No data to refer to yet on these things, but I'd wager Mullins makes triple the 750k difference in his first 2 years, maybe first year in the NBA if he goes to UConn. Woodson is going to cost him money over the long haul. Alot of money if your first year contract is light 1.5 mil or something crazy like that. NBA guys chime in, I don't know the numbers very well.

Reaction Score
No data to refer to yet on these things, but I'd wager Mullins makes triple the 750k difference in his first 2 years, maybe first year in the NBA if he goes to UConn. Woodson is going to cost him money over the long haul. Alot of money if your first year contract is light 1.5 mil or something crazy like that. NBA guys chime in, I don't know the numbers very well.
The difference between what Castle got being drafted 4th and what Clingan got being drafted 7th was a little over $4.6 million in guaranteed money. So in the lottery, literally one spot of draft position would make up or more than make up that difference.

Reaction Score
The Reibe situation is interesting in that he’s going to take a visit with Oregon soon. This is a Maryland kid being courted by plenty of more established hoops programs a lot more local. He’s also taken a number of visits and clearly enjoying the experience and doing some thorough due diligence. UO is interesting mainly because of the Phil Knight factor, which like a KSt, signals NIL importance. I see no other reason to consider UO and extend out your announcement when you can be the future backfill to Clingan, Dickinson and Kalk.

Reaction Score
Here are the slot values from the 2024 NBA draft. At the top of the draft the difference between even 1 draft position is significant. The difference is less pronounced as you go further down the 1st round.

Reaction Score
Here are the slot values from the 2024 NBA draft. At the top of the draft the difference between even 1 draft position is significant. The difference is less pronounced as you go further down the 1st round.

This is the real story. The BY in general frets too much about NIL and perceived NIL disparities. The real money is in the first and second NBA contracts. That’s where development pays multiples of NIL. If you buy into “all programs are about the same, and these kids would go in the same spot wherever they go”, then NIL probably means the world to you. But outside of the Flaggs and Dybantsas, development matters. Staffs aren’t all the same, and your strengths can be amplified and your weaknesses minimized depending on where you play. This fan base should be imo echoing that, since that is our strongest selling point.

Reaction Score
This is the real story. The BY in general frets too much about NIL and perceived NIL disparities. The real money is in the first and second NBA contracts. That’s where development pays multiples of NIL. If you buy into “all programs are about the same, and these kids would go in the same spot wherever they go”, then NIL probably means the world to you. But outside of the Flaggs and Dybantsas, development matters. Staffs aren’t all the same, and your strengths can be amplified and your weaknesses minimized depending on where you play. This fan base should be imo echoing that, since that is our strongest selling point.
100%. I've been saying this for a while...guys who are taking a few hundred K more just for that reason are taking a short-sighted approach. With the right development and preparation for the NBA, you'll make up that few hundred K in spades. Not that it shouldn't be a factor, but it shouldn't be the number one factor if you're a recruit with aspirations to play at the next level.

Reaction Score
If in fact true, interesting to see they’re offering 500k more to Mullins than they are to Haralson, who is the higher rated recruit. Perhaps that’s the premium you pay to bump a UConn out of the equation. Also interesting is that our offer is identical to UNC, who was one notch behind us on that recent CBS coaches poll on perceived NIL funds.

Without a source, taking as a grain of salt, but could see that being a tough scenario for Mullins/family. Take the 750k + today, home state program or go to the program that will develop you into a value exponentially higher on your first NBA contract. He’s so far from a finished product that the decision should be the latter.

Have thought all along UConn is the perfect fit for this kid, and that NIL and “other stuff” is the only thing tilting scales towards IU. Maybe this is enough.

If staff is heading out to see him, perhaps it’s to bottom line it to push an outcome. You either lock him up or take the NIL to one of the other guys. Must be as part of a closing conversation one way or another. If you like the kid enough and think you have a real chance, do it live.
If it was a closing meeting, wouldn't DH be there too?

Reaction Score
drafted 10 v 30 is over 10M by year 4

Reaction Score
100%. I've been saying this for a while...guys who are taking a few hundred K more just for that reason are taking a short-sighted approach. With the right development and preparation for the NBA, you'll make up that few hundred K in spades. Not that it shouldn't be a factor, but it shouldn't be the number one factor if you're a recruit with aspirations to play at the next level.
We get that UConn is not at the top of the heap in NIL. We get that some other programs do a very good job with development. Do I think this program is the gold standard for development and winning with our staff? Yes. Yes I do. And frankly it doesn’t do our program any favors to fret or obsess over NIL. We should focus on our primary strengths and what we do at the highest level, which is develop and win. And any poster here that doesn’t believe that…I’d ask them why are you here? Have you not seen enough evidence especially after the past two years to buy in? Recruits may or may not read these threads, but what possible good can come from taking a woe is us approach on NIL and constantly talking about it over highlighting development and winning? Believe or leave, I say! Haha

Reaction Score
You're preaching to the choir. Everyone here knows you should prioritize development, we're all UConn fans. But it is not debatable that high school kids are not always doing that, and that's why NIL is a factor

Reaction Score
You're preaching to the choir. Everyone here knows you should prioritize development, we're all UConn fans. But it is not debatable that high school kids are not always doing that, and that's why NIL is a factor
There’s an awful lot of angst and hand wringing on here about NIL. I don’t think it helps our cause, honestly. Understood that the kids don’t fully get it. While other staffs are doing good things with development—-Oats at Alabama is one name that comes to mind—I can’t be silent anymore pretending that playing for Mike Woodson, who is on the hot seat, would not be a disastrous career decision for a kid like Mullins. $750,000 extra in NIL does not make that make sense. I’m sure our staff is trumpeting our strengths. Posters here should be too to a larger degree is all I’m saying.

Reaction Score
The Reibe situation is interesting in that he’s going to take a visit with Oregon soon. This is a Maryland kid being courted by plenty of more established hoops programs a lot more local. He’s also taken a number of visits and clearly enjoying the experience and doing some thorough due diligence. UO is interesting mainly because of the Phil Knight factor, which like a KSt, signals NIL importance. I see no other reason to consider UO and extend out your announcement when you can be the future backfill to Clingan, Dickinson and Kalk.
A kid from Under Armour's state going to visit Nike U is interesting.

Reaction Score
There’s an awful lot of angst and hand wringing on here about NIL. I don’t think it helps our cause, honestly. Understood that the kids don’t fully get it. While other staffs are doing good things with development—-Oats at Alabama is one name that comes to mind—I can’t be silent anymore pretending that playing for Mike Woodson, who is on the hot seat, would not be a disastrous career decision for a kid like Mullins. $750,000 extra in NIL does not make that make sense. I’m sure our staff is trumpeting our strengths. Posters here should be too to a larger degree is all I’m saying.
Do you think Braylon Mullins is reading the Boneyard and deciding where to go to college based on what UConn fans think is best for him? Who cares what people on here say or think. NIL is here and is a factor, and posters saying as much is not some outlandish thing

awy

Reaction Score
there seem to be a group of elite programs that are coordinating NIL offers to try to set a price. it may or may not work.

Reaction Score
Do you think Braylon Mullins is reading the Boneyard and deciding where to go to college based on what UConn fans think is best for him? Who cares what people on here say or think. NIL is here and is a factor, and posters saying as much is not some outlandish thing
Agree to disagree. Shocking I know. My points were missed. That’s okay.

Reaction Score
From who?

We get loaded classes every season and are on the best run in college basketball since UCLA.
On NiL? Lots of posts. No hand wringing about the success of the program. Reread what I said. NIL discussions and perceived disadvantages or what some other schools have to spend. I said NOTHING about the state of the program overall.

Reaction Score
On NiL? Lots of posts. No hand wringing about the success of the program. Reread what I said. NIL discussions and perceived disadvantages or what some other schools have to spend. I said NOTHING about the state of the program overall.
Our NIL is great, our recruiting is great, and we have hands down the best program in the country.

If people are fretting about anything you should probably put them on ignore.

Reaction Score
Our NIL is great, our recruiting is great, and we have hands down the best program in the country.

If people are fretting about anything you should probably put them on ignore.
I agree that our NIL is very competitive. It’s not at the top of the heap, but by many accounts is around top 15-20. Agreed on the recruiting and the state of the program. I’ve tried the ignore thing and maybe it’s my technical incompetence, but sadly I still see them lol. I don’t expect recruits to be nosing around the board. Though some might. Family members and inner circle friends have. Perceptions can become reality. I just don’t see much sense in highlighting something that is A factor, and treating it like it is or even should be a primary factor. I’d rather focus on our strengths, which is winning at the highest level, and churning out developed kids into the lottery and onto NBA rosters.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
As crazy as it sounds Indiana has done a pretty good job of getting guys to the league. Ware was looking like a bust at Oregon and he became a first rounder at Indiana and may be in line for a big role with the Heat. They’ve done pretty well the last 3 years getting guys drafted in the first round.

I promise it is possible for players to go to the NBA and make money without coming here to do it…. Unless they go to UNC. There’s something legitimately wrong with that program.

I don’t think they’ve produced a first rounder since COVID.

Reaction Score
If it was a closing meeting, wouldn't DH be there too?
At this point in the season, likely not needed. He’s already put plenty of time in, and someone has to run a practice. I do think the assistants get tagged as owners of certain recruits and become “handlers”.

Not sure much more has to be said at this point, other than updates on other recruits and fit, squaring away NIL and walking away with a directional sense to manage the full pool appropriately.

Reaction Score
The difference between what Castle got being drafted 4th and what Clingan got being drafted 7th was a little over $4.6 million in guaranteed money. So in the lottery, literally one spot of draft position would make up or more than make up that difference.
Thanks. Supports my guess and then some!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom