2025 Recruiting: - Braylon Mullins discusses his recruitment, timeline | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Braylon Mullins discusses his recruitment, timeline

Reaction Score

“I love the coaching staff. I have a really good relationship with the coaching staff. And I mean, it’s the back-to-back champs. They’re a winning program, and who wouldn’t want to go win. Just being able to watch the practice back on my official visit in August, they play very, very hard. They’re defensive oriented. They can shoot and everything. I feel like I can fit into that play style.”

Alternate access:
Five-star prospect Braylon Mullins includes UConn on list of final three schools

Reaction Score
Just read the 24/7 article for quotes on all three programs and my synopsis, with absolutely no other intel or information:

UConn: Loves the staff, winning program/ championship culture, team plays incredibly hard, can see exactly how he fits in here/what his role will be.

UNC: Also loves the staff, playing time will be available, they play fast which means more shots for everyone.

IU: Get to be the hometown hero, they're planning on a new play style that will be more guard-centric, Woodson says he'll develop him for the league.

Of all of those pitches, IU seems to require the biggest leap of faith - almost everything Mullins talks about from them is a complete unknown except for the fact that its down the road. Nice that he loves the UNC staff, but other than that, that praise feels super generic to me. Of the three, the UConn points read as highly specific in terms of who we are, how we play and how Mullins slots in.

Who knows what will happen, but Hurley and Co. clearly made a great impression and helped Mullins know exactly what he gets from UConn and what we can do for him.

Reaction Score
Just read the 24/7 article for quotes on all three programs and my synopsis, with absolutely no other intel or information:

UConn: Loves the staff, winning program/ championship culture, team plays incredibly hard, can see exactly how he fits in here/what his role will be.

UNC: Also loves the staff, playing time will be available, they play fast which means more shots for everyone.

IU: Get to be the hometown hero, they're planning on a new play style that will be more guard-centric, Woodson says he'll develop him for the league.

Of all of those pitches, IU seems to require the biggest leap of faith - almost everything Mullins talks about from them is a complete unknown except for the fact that its down the road. Nice that he loves the UNC staff, but other than that, that praise feels super generic to me. Of the three, the UConn points read as highly specific in terms of who we are, how we play and how Mullins slots in.

Who knows what will happen, but Hurley and Co. clearly made a great impression and helped Mullins know exactly what he gets from UConn and what we can do for him.
Nice breakdown. Its so obvious with UConn. You know exactly who we are, what we do and what you're getting. No promising of future changes that will satisfy a recruit. Just need to look at the last few years. It's all there.

Reaction Score

I’d be shocked if he picked UNC.

The IU/Uconn decision is gonna be wild to watch as his fit and potential is so much better aligned with Uconn. Its all the other stuff that would lean him IU: parents love the University, buddy just signed there, home state, NIL. So hard to know how much those factors matter out in the heartland. Feels like a coin flip.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love that Woodson is pitching him on his new offense. They have a single good shooter in the top six of their rotation and will be starting two traditional, non shooting bigs. McNeely part 2 even if he does commit there.

Reaction Score
Provided we don't get another commit first that he feels will block him, we are the best fit for his stated goals.

Reaction Score
Are these the guys who were certain UConn couldn't handle Illinois and Purdue? I also think they said UConn couldn't handle a certain player on Northwestern.
Lol - they are Big 10 lovers/grads but do keep a fairly objective stance on the recruiting stuff. Most of it is just reading what has already been shared in the BY and talking about it in hypotheticals. More pure entertainment than new knowledge.

Greg was actually wearing UConn gear the other day on the pod.

awy

Reaction Score
Lol - they are Big 10 lovers/grads but do keep a fairly objective stance on the recruiting stuff. Most of it is just reading what has already been shared in the BY and talking about it in hypotheticals. More pure entertainment than new knowledge.

Greg was actually wearing UConn gear the other day on the pod.
i'd buy the lack of bias angle because they could just not understand what makes uconn good. very player focused analysis, especially the new guy who is basically a lazy and chill kind of ex-player.

Reaction Score
I may have missed this...but did he announce any sort of specific timeline for a commitment along with the top 3 announcement? Adams made his top 3 announcement and like 30 minutes later told us his commitment date.

Reaction Score
I live in Indiana and this recruitment is interesting.

Here is what I've heard regarding NIL

Mullins to IU and NIL is $1.5 million. UConn and UNC offered in neighborhood of $750k

Then IU reportedly offered Harrelson $1 million, but ND is matching, so the bid is getting higher and higher.

Reaction Score
I live in Indiana and this recruitment is interesting.

Here is what I've heard regarding NIL

Mullins to IU and NIL is $1.5 million. UConn and UNC offered in neighborhood of $750k

Then IU reportedly offered Harrelson $1 million, but ND is matching, so the bid is getting higher and higher.
Jeez. Can’t blame the kid at all if IU is offering that. But, would really show how up we are as a program if we can get him with those numbers.

Reaction Score
Jeez. Can’t blame the kid at all if IU is offering that. But, would really show how up we are as a program if we can get him with those numbers.
Just like I thought IU is getting bid up on these recruits. They might well get Mullins, but it might cost them Harrelson and Reibe.

Reaction Score
If in fact true, interesting to see they’re offering 500k more to Mullins than they are to Haralson, who is the higher rated recruit. Perhaps that’s the premium you pay to bump a UConn out of the equation. Also interesting is that our offer is identical to UNC, who was one notch behind us on that recent CBS coaches poll on perceived NIL funds.

Without a source, taking as a grain of salt, but could see that being a tough scenario for Mullins/family. Take the 750k + today, home state program or go to the program that will develop you into a value exponentially higher on your first NBA contract. He’s so far from a finished product that the decision should be the latter.

Have thought all along UConn is the perfect fit for this kid, and that NIL and “other stuff” is the only thing tilting scales towards IU. Maybe this is enough.

If staff is heading out to see him, perhaps it’s to bottom line it to push an outcome. You either lock him up or take the NIL to one of the other guys. Must be as part of a closing conversation one way or another. If you like the kid enough and think you have a real chance, do it live.

Reaction Score
I am crossing my fingers that we are in Mullins final 3 with full expectations by him that Adams may pick the Huskies as well. In my perfect world the staff has presold Mullins on the fact that they both can thrive here and that he has bought in to that probability already..

24/7 has a glowing description of Mullins which includes very high praise for his defense and rebounding and passing and positional size and IQ and the fact that he is a winner. Beyond pointing out these positives, they remind the reader of his 47% 3 point shooting on a prolific number of attempts since he made over 6+ per game and showed range far behind the arc.

Per 24/7
"The bottom line is that when you have an elite shooter, capable of getting hot at any point, who is also a standout defender, with positional size, solid athleticism, and a competitive mentality….you have an elite national prospect."

A future problem I wish on myself is whether to wear my Karaban Karavan, Cling Kong, or Mullins UConn gear.

Edit: I hadn't seen the $1.5 mill post before I posted. These bids are getting to the point where it pays to stay in college if you aren't a lottery pick. The nba may end up with more experienced talent in future drafts if more kids stay an extra year or 2. It is really an up hill battle for us with money, family proximity, home state hero, playing with friends... NBA will find him at Indiana. If we get him it is all the draw of Hurley.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If in fact true, interesting to see they’re offering 500k more to Mullins than they are to Haralson, who is the higher rated recruit. Perhaps that’s the premium you pay to bump a UConn out of the equation. Also interesting is that our offer is identical to UNC, who was one notch behind us on that recent CBS coaches poll on perceived NIL funds.

Without a source, taking as a grain of salt, but could see that being a tough scenario for Mullins/family. Take the 750k + today, home state program or go to the program that will develop you into a value exponentially higher on your first NBA contract. He’s so far from a finished product that the decision should be the latter.

Have thought all along UConn is the perfect fit for this kid, and that NIL and “other stuff” is the only thing tilting scales towards IU. Maybe this is enough.

If staff is heading out to see him, perhaps it’s to bottom line it to push an outcome. You either lock him up or take the NIL to one of the other guys. Must be as part of a closing conversation one way or another. If you like the kid enough and think you have a real chance, do it live.
They clearly don’t want the in state kid to get away. Harrelson reads stuff like we do. Does he feel slighted being offered $500,000 less? Would he want that much more to sign there? If he gets that, you’d have to think they wouldn’t be able to dig deep for Reibe. Lots of interesting dynamics are in play.

awy

Reaction Score
if you are offering double and still haven't closed the deal, it's telling everyone that there's a substantial difference in terms of program quality.

if there's significant difference in quality of program, then for a guy with NBA aspirations 750k isn't that much. Just need to delay gratification for a couple of years.

Reaction Score
if you are offering double and still haven't closed the deal, it's telling everyone that there's a substantial difference in terms of program quality.

if there's significant difference in quality of program, then for a guy with NBA aspirations 750k isn't that much. Just need to delay gratification for a couple of years.
$750,000 is just a difference of a couple or a few spots in the draft, really.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom