Brandon Zermeno - late QB add for depth | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Brandon Zermeno - late QB add for depth

Reaction Score
He's obviously a nice kid and it was a great story when he got a scholarship. He may also add value on special teams with his hustle. However, he was hopelessly over-matched playing against top tier NFL candidate defensive backs.
Geesh…. How many other R-SO WR in FBS will be in the same position this year?

Reaction Score
Geesh…. How many other R-SO WR in FBS will be in the same position this year?
The point was to describe the situation Zion faced. We were sending out receivers that didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting open.

Reaction Score
After week 3 Zergioitas has lost to Holy Cross, beat Assumption and lost to Harvard. 98 attempts, 50 completions, 1 INT, 642 yds, 7 TD's. One rushing TD against Assumption. So far zero net yards rushing. Zacs problem was no escapability against top level competition and not that accurate either. They play CCSU Nov 12 at noon in New Britain.
I actually watched the Merrimack v Harvard game online. They outplayed the Crimson and were up by two TD’s late in 4thQ. Jack Z threw two deep TD’s and the announcers talked about his UConn experience. He had a live arm and a command of the O. It was good to see him play well.

Reaction Score
No attack @ThabeetDown, I get the first point in this sentence but the second one is simply ridiculous. Folks attacking the staff should be able to supply just what plays they would call differently. This just after saying there are no players to execute them. Again no attack just seems confusing to me. ;)
I appreciate you not attacking! Yes I’m frustrated at the play calling. I was at the game. The play calling was designed to just get through 60 min of football, not to compete. It’s a disservice to the players who are there to compete. And embarrassing to anyone associated with the university.

Take the 4th down play in the 4th quarter, deep in Michigan territory. Millen gets put in, after a timeout. All 109K knew what was going to happen. Millen run play. Stuffed for -4 yards. That’s a terrible and lazy play call.

They tried one trick play, albeit it was a fumble that we recovered. You’re down 40-50 points try to make something. Zion only attempted 3-4 plays down field? When you’re down so many points, take some shots! Rather throw some picks then go 3 and out on 1-2 yard runs. Try to compete is all I ask.

Reaction Score
I appreciate you not attacking! Yes I’m frustrated at the play calling. I was at the game. The play calling was designed to just get through 60 min of football, not to compete. It’s a disservice to the players who are there to compete. And embarrassing to anyone associated with the university.

Take the 4th down play in the 4th quarter, deep in Michigan territory. Millen gets put in, after a timeout. All 109K knew what was going to happen. Millen run play. Stuffed for -4 yards. That’s a terrible and lazy play call.

They tried one trick play, albeit it was a fumble that we recovered. You’re down 40-50 points try to make something. Zion only attempted 3-4 plays down field? When you’re down so many points, take some shots! Rather throw some picks then go 3 and out on 1-2 yard runs. Try to compete is all I ask.

I don't get wanting the staff to ask players to execute plays they don't think the players are capable of executing. It would be like asking the basketball team, on a night they are getting blown out and can't get anything going inside, having Sanogo start chucking up threes just because nothing else is working.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Doctor answered… ;)

I’m surprised that Tyler hasn’t at least gotten an opportunity to get out there if he’s medically available. Given that the Michigan game was well out of hand, why not give him a set of downs against the third string?

The quote above seems like that’s not going to happen.

Reaction Score

I see that 4th down play much differently. I did not see it as a terrible or lazy play call.

I thought and (I think) the staff thought that Michigan would come out and set up to stop the QB sneak. So UConn called an option play to the outside, away from the traffic, where Millen could carry the ball or pitch it. This would have been a good call if Michigan had stacked the center of the line.

However, Michigan only had 4 down lineman and played a base defense. That freed the LBs and DB to flow to the outside and bust up the play.

My guess (also) is that Millen did not have the option to audible to a sneak which would have had a much greater chance of success. The Michigan coaches simply outguessed the UConn coaches (and probably most of the 109K in attendance). They won the chess game on that play.

Reaction Score
I’m surprised that Tyler hasn’t at least gotten an opportunity to get out there if he’s medically available. Given that the Michigan game was well out of hand, why not give him a set of downs against the third string?

I think the issue with Tyler Phommachanh is the lack of practice reps. Roberson did play in the spring, but Tyler Phommachanh did not as he was still recovering from injury. Turner and Millen didn't arrive at UConn until the summer and it appears Millen had an injury. Thus, I would think the vast majority if reps in camp went to Roberson and Turner with Millen and Tyler Phommachanh being brought along slowly as they were recovering from injury. After Roberson was injured in game 1, I'm sure Turner has taken the vast majority of snaps in practice as he was learning to be QB1.

And, Tyler Phommachanh's and Zion's stats look very similar as true freshmen:

Tyler Phommachanh: Passing: 35 for 72 48.6%, 321 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs. Rushing: 24 for 92 yards, 2 TDs.

Zion: Passing: 44 for 86, 51.2%, 390 yards, 4 TDs, 3 INTs. Rushing: 22 for 60 yards, 0 TDs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tyler Phommachanh: Passing: 35 for 72 48.6%, 321 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs. Rushing: 24 for 92 yards, 2 TDs.

Zion: Passing: 44 for 86, 51.2%, 390 yards, 4 TDs, 3 INTs. Rushing: 22 for 60 yards, 0 TDs.
Interesting. I think you’ve got to take into account that Zion has a more stout Oline in front of him. Tyler racked up those stats while running for his life most of the time.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
im not getting into the who should play thing. i'm happy to leave that up to coach, but for me, the 'tyler needs practice reps' doesn't register.
he's a 'make stuff happen' player, disciplined or otherwise.
top shelf? prolly not, but we don't have top shelf ambitions right now.

it feels like he could go out there, having absolutely zero time with the other ten, and in the huddle say 'u button hook right. u stutterstep, then head on a fly to the e-zone. u hang back, then slide across the middle. stay close, rb, and everyone else put a hat on somebody.'

no charts. no graphs. no tendencies. nuthin.
that guy feels like managed chaos to me. big fun.

Reaction Score
I think the issue with Tyler Phommachanh is the lack of practice reps. Roberson did play in the spring, but Tyler Phommachanh did not as he was still recovering from injury. Turner and Millen didn't arrive at UConn until the summer and it appears Millen had an injury. Thus, I would think the vast majority if reps in camp went to Roberson and Turner with Millen and Tyler Phommachanh being brought along slowly as they were recovering from injury. After Roberson was injured in game 1, I'm sure Turner has taken the vast majority of snaps in practice as he was learning to be QB1.

And, Tyler Phommachanh's and Zion's stats look very similar as true freshmen:

Or after the injury he isn’t as mobile as he was before.

Stats don’t lie, but we almost beat Wyoming and Vandy with him. Seems like he would have been very good against teams like Utah State and Central.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I think you’ve got to take into account that Zion has a more stout Oline in front of him. Tyler racked up those stats while running for his life most of the time.
I think you have to take into account that Zion played against Syracuse and Michigan which is much higher competition than Tyler Phommachanh faced (Army, Wyoming, and Vandy).

Reaction Score
I don't get wanting the staff to ask players to execute plays they don't think the players are capable of executing. It would be like asking the basketball team, on a night they are getting blown out and can't get anything going inside, having Sanogo start chucking up threes just because nothing else is working.
No, getting nothing inside you have Polley, Cole, Martin or Hawkins shoot from the outside. Equivalent in football to your Sanogo comparison would be having Guidone line up at QB in spread offense with empty backfield and say go at it buddy.

Reaction Score
I see that 4th down play much differently. I did not see it as a terrible or lazy play call.

I thought and (I think) the staff thought that Michigan would come out and set up to stop the QB sneak. So UConn called an option play to the outside, away from the traffic, where Millen could carry the ball or pitch it. This would have been a good call if Michigan had stacked the center of the line.

However, Michigan only had 4 down lineman and played a base defense. That freed the LBs and DB to flow to the outside and bust up the play.

My guess (also) is that Millen did not have the option to audible to a sneak which would have had a much greater chance of success. The Michigan coaches simply outguessed the UConn coaches (and probably most of the 109K in attendance). They won the chess game on that play.
Everyone knew the ball wouldn't leave Millen's hand. Option or sneak, you are going to blitz him. That's why you don't put him in on a play like that. The right play call would have been having him pass as up until that point I don't think he had attempted a pass. If you don't have a backup plan at the line of scrimmage for a 4&1 play after you see what the defense is doing after a timeout, that is lazy. How do you not have a plan B. That is coaching setting up his players to fail.

We'll agree to disagree as we don't need to continue to harp on one bad play out of many, many bad plays, but the way I see it Charlton's game plan is poor, his play calling is poor, and Zion and Cale's execution of said game plan and plays are poor. Injuries probably have a lot to do with it, but again, I don't think Charlton set this team up for success on Saturday. Having 20 passing yards in a D-1 football game deserves criticism.

Reaction Score
If Tyler is now cleared to play and is working with the first team, let's all wait and see what happens in the next game.

Reaction Score
Everyone knew the ball wouldn't leave Millen's hand. Option or sneak, you are going to blitz him. That's why you don't put him in on a play like that. The right play call would have been having him pass as up until that point I don't think he had attempted a pass. If you don't have a backup plan at the line of scrimmage for a 4&1 play after you see what the defense is doing after a timeout, that is lazy. How do you not have a plan B. That is coaching setting up his players to fail.

We'll agree to disagree as we don't need to continue to harp on one bad play out of many, many bad plays, but the way I see it Charlton's game plan is poor, his play calling is poor, and Zion and Cale's execution of said game plan and plays are poor. Injuries probably have a lot to do with it, but again, I don't think Charlton set this team up for success on Saturday. Having 20 passing yards in a D-1 football game deserves criticism.

Given the defense. A QB sneak gets you the first down.

But I share your frustration with the conservative nature of Carlton's overall game plan. My guess it is because he has zero confidence in the offense's ability to perform in the passing game.

Reaction Score

It won’t happen and it shouldn’t happe

Reaction Score
Sorry looked at his hc record.
Quarterback passed for 214/game. Passed 484 plays ran 496. Total offense 346/game. These are season averages. So I’m not exactly sure where the idea that Carlton is some kind of offensive genius came from. His offense the year he was OC at Maine was pretty pedestrian by current standards. They won a bunch of games to be sure, but they certainly wouldn’t be confused with the greatest show on turf. And I think the offense they are currently running is pretty pedestrian too. If it is because Zion can’t make plays, that is a problem. If it is because the OC really isn’t that creative, we have a different problem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom