Brandon Zermeno - late QB add for depth | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Brandon Zermeno - late QB add for depth

Reaction Score
Just let him use the Zion playbook. Just me trying to be funny!

Reaction Score
Do you think that Mora expected to be shut out and lose by 50 to Michigan? I don't. I think he has higher expectations for his players and team. I think he expected more of Zion.

Zion has a good running game to rely on. He has had clean pockets and time to pass. He has had a few wide open receivers. He simply has not performed. In four games he hasn't really shown anything. No one expects him to perform at a high level. But he received many reps with the ones all through fall practice. Expecting some level of competency and making plays when they are available is reasonable.

Puma was freshman last year. He was forced into action after an injury. That's a fair comparison. Much less was expected of Puma who played against lesser competition in high school. His stats were close to Zion's. But his production was much better. He flashed. He moved the team.

All people want is for Zion to give them some hope. I think that is not an unreasonable expectation to put on a freshman. By all accounts he is a great kid and very smart. He is being handed an opportunity as well as a challenge. The ball is literally in his hands.
Don’t you understand he missed open receivers because the good receivers are down and they can’t get open.

Reaction Score
I think Zion has potential, but you can’t claim he’s only had a few months when 4 weeks ago you were saying he should be the starter. He will be fine in time, but he is not now.

Worse, this team is NOT what we were led to believe we would see on game day all summer. I’d put up mirrors everywhere this week, because everyone, from the HC on down needs to start looking in them and figuring out how after 25 portals, a new staff, and lots of slick video we look no better than last year. This is embarrassing

Reaction Score
Puma was freshman last year. His stats were close to Zion's. But his production was much better. He flashed. He moved the team.
A agree Puma had more agility, confidence and bounce, a more spirited approach to the position. In the meantime, a friend who just spoke to Puma's Dad said Puma is ready to play but "the coaches aren't putting him in." I'm sure there are reasons--and the new QB pickup is interesting. Something's afoot. Let's hope it shows soon.

Reaction Score
Do you think that Mora expected to be shut out and lose by 50 to Michigan? I don't. I think he has higher expectations for his players and team. I think he expected more of Zion.

Zion has a good running game to rely on. He has had clean pockets and time to pass. He has had a few wide open receivers. He simply has not performed. In four games he hasn't really shown anything. No one expects him to perform at a high level. But he received many reps with the ones all through fall practice. Expecting some level of competency and making plays when they are available is reasonable.

Puma was freshman last year. He was forced into action after an injury. That's a fair comparison. Much less was expected of Puma who played against lesser competition in high school. His stats were close to Zion's. But his production was much better. He flashed. He moved the team.

All people want is for Zion to give them some hope. I think that is not an unreasonable expectation to put on a freshman. By all accounts he is a great kid and very smart. He is being handed an opportunity as well as a challenge. The ball is literally in his hands.
This is a good post, but putting a true freshman on the field with a limited supporting cast is a recipe for the dish we are being served. I can't over how covered our guys were by their DBs. Like wet blankets.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
A agree Puma had more agility, confidence and bounce, a more spirited approach to the position. In the meantime, a friend who just spoke to Puma's Dad said Puma is ready to play but "the coaches aren't putting him in." I'm sure there are reasons--and the new QB pickup is interesting. Something's afoot. Let's hope it shows soon.
I really hope this is false.

Reaction Score

As I said on another thread, Zergiotis had over 250 yards several times as a true freshman.

Reaction Score
This is simply not true.

"The staff has turned to true freshman Zion Turner, who has done about as well as anyone could reasonably expect given the circumstances."
Palantine if Zion started for Michigan they would have beat our asses. Soundly.

Reaction Score
Puma and his family may feel he is ready. But the question is "what does the medical staff think?" My grandson, who plays high school hockey, sprained his ankle. Told his coach he was ready to return to the ice and the coach asked him the same question, "what does your doctor say?"

Reaction Score
As I said on another thread, Zergiotis had over 250 yards several times as a true freshman.
After week 3 Zergioitas has lost to Holy Cross, beat Assumption and lost to Harvard. 98 attempts, 50 completions, 1 INT, 642 yds, 7 TD's. One rushing TD against Assumption. So far zero net yards rushing. Zacs problem was no escapability against top level competition and not that accurate either. They play CCSU Nov 12 at noon in New Britain.

Reaction Score
After week 3 Zergioitas has lost to Holy Cross, beat Assumption and lost to Harvard. 98 attempts, 50 completions, 1 INT, 642 yds, 7 TD's. One rushing TD against Assumption. So far zero net yards rushing. Zacs problem was no escapability against top level competition and not that accurate either. They play CCSU Nov 12 at noon in New Britain.

I watched him play the other night against Harvard. He looked sloppy to me.

Reaction Score

It's not complicated, when you don't have WR's who can get open your team is much better off with a dual threat QB.

Another thing PUMA showed last year is that he has outstanding QB instincts. Knowing where to move in the pocket to buy time, making quick decisions. My impression was that he has some innate Casey Cochran like instincts for the position. He will be a successful QB somewhere. My fear is it won't be here.

I do think its wise of Mora to not have our QB's run in games we have no chance to win anyway. Could Mora be saving PUMA for those games? Personally I doubt it, but it would be nice to see a surprise dual threat QB take the field versus FIU.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After 4 games Zion is 44/86, 3 int, 4 tds, 390 yards. I’m not arguing Zergiotis is some great quarterback. Just that Turner’s stats are much worse compared to his. Ok, Zergiotis never played against a top 5 team, but jeez, with a worse oline and supposedly a worse OC, he had better production, as a true freshman. Which leads one to question whether the problem is with the system and thus 5he OC or with the player or both.

Reaction Score
He's been a victim of having ZERO playmakers and trash playcalling.
No attack @ThabeetDown, I get the first point in this sentence but the second one is simply ridiculous. Folks attacking the staff should be able to supply just what plays they would call differently. This just after saying there are no players to execute them. Again no attack just seems confusing to me. ;)

Reaction Score
It's not complicated, when you don't have WR's who can get open your team is much better off with a dual threat QB.

Another thing PUMA showed last year is that he has outstanding QB instincts. Knowing where to move in the pocket to buy time, making quick decisions. My impression was that he has some innate Casey Cochran like instincts for the position. He will be a successful QB somewhere. My fear is it won't be here.

I do think its wise of Mora to not have our QB's run in games we have no chance to win anyway. Could Mora be saving PUMA for those games? Personally I doubt it, but it would be nice to see a surprise dual threat QB take the field versus FIU.

IF Puma is ready to play, I seriously hope coaches give him a chance to play. He was awesome last year, and it would be good to see if he can ignite the offense again. If Zion is doing badly against NCST, please put Puma out there and give him a chance to play.

Reaction Score
Yeah Pindell was better year 2, he also had to sit behind Bryant Shireffs in year 1. I wish there was a Bryant Shireffs on this roster!
Actually pindell was named starter(their guy). Shireffs replaced him. He was good but many on here said he was just a fullback

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
new qb guy has his work cut out for him if he's gonna make it to 'Footsteps Falco' level. (legit. Santiago Chile.)
Keanu_Reeves_representado_en_un_mural_en_el_exterior_del_GAM_de_Santiago_de_Chile.jpg

notsomuch if he's just aiming for ol teddy logan status.
313ee83608fa7649c8ae49b1584c20c0.png

pain heals. chicks dig scars. glory lasts forever.

and will sumone puhleeze fix the dang thread title?
b-r-a-y-d-e-n.
pretty lousy howdeedo for the man's first 'yard mention.

Reaction Score
I'm still trying to figure out when we had open receivers against Michigan. I'll admit I only focused on the game for most of the 1st half and switched back and forth seeing relatively little of the second, but to me the overall play was embodied by one route where poor Jacob Flynn tried to do some variant of an-out-and-up route with the defensive back easily beating him to the spot when the ball arrived. He's obviously a nice kid and it was a great story when he got a scholarship. He may also add value on special teams with his hustle. However, he was hopelessly over-matched playing against top tier NFL candidate defensive backs. I thought we had more depth at WR than we obviously do as I've rarely seen anyone open in games against real D-I opposition (obviously leaving out CCSU) after Ross and Marion went down.

As for Puma, I like him. I was at the Army game and he did move the team in the second half - after we were down 42-0 and the second and third string defense were in the game. When we have to get excited about how we did against Army subs you know we have a long way to go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom