Bowl Game Interest? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Bowl Game Interest?

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Dude is raking in the doe....
jacques demy deer GIF

Reaction Score
In for at least two. I’ve been to every bowl game. We’ve had good (not great) representation for every one. First one in Detroit was a new experience for all of us. The logistics were new —fly on the charter? Make own plans? Big crowd at Papa John—huge pep rally in Birmingham night before. Charlotte too. Toronto was big —lots of fun in cold winter site.. Smallest crowd probably in St Pete. And we had lots of fans in Phoenix. Don’t buy that drivel you hear.
They’re all great times. Here’s the reality. Deciding to go, the planning, the cost, the logistics are all problematic and often daunting—but once you arrive you‘ll find yourself saying the same thing—I’m so freaking glad l made the trip!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They’re all great times. Here’s the reality. Deciding to go, the planning, the cost, the logistics are all problematic and often daunting—but once you arrive you‘ll find yourself saying the same thing—I’m so freaking glad l made the trip!!!
My partner isn't the biggest FB fan but loved every bowl game we went to.

Reaction Score
... First one in Detroit was a new experience for all of us. The logistics were new —fly on the charter? Make own plans?
Ha, that charter was a nightmare...Bradley was not ready to handle us! Also, waiting outside in the cold at Ford Field until the buffet was ready...no fun. The stadium and the game were great though...

Reaction Score
Ha, that charter was a nightmare...Bradley was not ready to handle us! Also, waiting outside in the cold at Ford Field until the buffet was ready...no fun. The stadium and the game were great though...
Yup. Remember it well. Greek-town was fun. It's also when our marching band took the field with 13 brass sousaphones 2 or 3 white ones and a few silver. It was embarrassing for a school heading to The Big East. I wrote to the Univ Prez, AD and Band Director to suggest a fundraising effort for new band uniforms and a consistent array of Sousaphones. I was ignored--lol. Later the Foundation raised $100,000 for the new all silver sousaphones you see today.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So, officially bowl eligible. With a win vs Army, solidly so. But will there be any open spots? Does anybody know who we need to root against? I’m prepared for “The Improbable Bowl”, UConn vs KU.

Reaction Score
So, officially bowl eligible. With a win vs Army, solidly so. But will there be any open spots? Does anybody know who we need to root against? I’m prepared for “The Improbable Bowl”, UConn vs KU.
There are 42 bowl games (excluding the playoff championship game). That's 84 teams. Go to the Sagarin ratings or other page that shows all of FBS and see if you can find 84 teams likely to be eligible. It starts to get very hard to find worthy teams into the 70s. UConn will have a shot.

Reaction Score
army eliminated from Bowl contention with their loss. A very obvious replacement

Reaction Score
army eliminated from Bowl contention with their loss. A very obvious replacement
For some strange reason Army scheduled two FCS teams this year (only 1 can count toward bowl eligibility) and I just received an email with their schedule for next year and it also contains two FCS games - Delaware St. and Holy Cross. I'm not sure what's going on in the AD's office at West Point.

Reaction Score
Is this an actual possibility? Do we know what we have to root for to make this happen?
It's definitely possible but not probable. It's considered a tier 1 bowl for the ACC and AAC. The ACC has the Orange Bowl and 9 Tier 1 bowls (10 slots), compared to 9 teams already eligible. Miami has to beat either Clemson or Pitt to get the tenth slot. GT could qualify but they would have to beat UNC and Georgia so the odds are infintesimally small. The AAC has four tier 1 bowls and 6 teams already eligible so they will undoubtedly send a team to Boston.

So, the only real chance is if Miami doesn't qualify and Fenway is the bowl they don't fill. Since it is one of only two ACC Tier 1 bowls that is against G5 competition (both against the AAC) instead of P5 that greatly increases the possibility. The other is the Military Bowl in Annapolis that has a relatively small payout in the $2M range. I don't know what the proposed payout is for Fenway, but the ACC would presumably drop the lowest payor if they don't have enough teams. That one could potentially pick UConn to play an AAC opponent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's definitely possible but not probable. It's considered a tier 1 bowl for the ACC and AAC. The ACC has the Orange Bowl and 9 Tier 1 bowls (10 slots), compared to 9 teams already eligible. Miami has to beat either Clemson or Pitt to get the tenth slot. GT could qualify but they would have to beat UNC and Georgia so the odds are infintesimally small. The AAC has four tier 1 bowls and 6 teams already eligible so they will undoubtedly send a team to Boston.

So, the only real chance is if Miami doesn't qualify and Fenway is the bowl they don't fill. Since it is one of only two ACC Tier 1 bowls that is against G5 competition (both against the AAC) instead of P5 that greatly increases the possibility. The other is the Military Bowl in Annapolis that has a relatively small payout in the $2M range. I don't know what the proposed payout is for Fenway, but the ACC would presumably drop the lowest payor if they don't have enough teams. That one could potentially pick UConn to play an AAC opponent.
More reason to win next week against Army to solidify their spot.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I saw somewhere that there were 51 bowl eligible teams as of last Sunday. I think 10 more have been locked up so far this week:. EMU, Fresno, Florida, Marshall, Wash St, Iowa, SMU, Purdue, Houston and Pitt.

It's an uphill battle.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I’ll get 3 tickets, no matter where the bowl is. But I’ll only go if it’s in the south central region (TN, LA, AL, TX, NM).

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Athletic Department email

I just received an email from the athletic department gauging interest in attending a bowl game (see link).

If anyone who is not a season ticket holder (would not have received the email) is interested, please let the athletic department know.

It sounds like a) we will need to lobby available bowls for an invitation and b) guarantee a set number of tickets sold.

This is merely a guess on my part but there is a chance that the school won't lobby very hard if they don't believe we will attend the event. If you want us to go to a bowl and have the available resources (time & money) please support the program.
Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

Reaction Score
UConn-KU would be interesting, their QB who might be playing on Sunday in the not too distant future, is a Connecticut native.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom