Bowl Game Interest? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bowl Game Interest?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Edit: Fiesta Bowl was NOT a "debacle" as far as UConn fan attendance was concerned. Roughly one-quarter of the stadium from the 50 yard line to the end zone where the UCMB was stationed was clad in National Flag Blue. Most of those were intelligent folks who bought ducats on the aftermarket. The National Championship was held in that same stadium. Fans of the participating teams were forced to buy tickets to all 3 bowl games being held in the Phoenix area. Those fans then dumped the tickets to the Fiesta Bowl & the game played in ASU's stadium onto Stub Hub et al. where they sold at bargain basement prices.
DON'T EVER forget that fact.

There were at least 15,000 people wearing blue that day.

About 7,000 in Tampa 2015. I think travel interest would be highly dependent on date, location. We are pretty much guaranteed to get a MAC/Sun/CUSA level opponent and that is fine for this year.

My guess would be Detroit as the most likely option. It's B10 #8 vs MAC. If OSU, Mich and PSU all make NY6 games which they will if they all win out aside from O/M game, then the B10 is looking at having 6 teams for 8 spots. The committees know our record is a bit of a mirage, but they also know we travel, are desperate for a bowl game and spend money.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Athletic Department email

I just received an email from the athletic department gauging interest in attending a bowl game (see link).

If anyone who is not a season ticket holder (would not have received the email) is interested, please let the athletic department know.

It sounds like a) we will need to lobby available bowls for an invitation and b) guarantee a set number of tickets sold.

This is merely a guess on my part but there is a chance that the school won't lobby very hard if they don't believe we will attend the event. If you want us to go to a bowl and have the available resources (time & money) please support the program.
I just saw this when I checked Google and I'd be interested especially if we can play Oklahoma in the Feista Bowl. I believe the coach was already thinking about the Maryland team and not focused on the bowl game. :)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For the record I'm buying tickets, possibly quite a few.

My attending will be entirely dependent on my ability to coordinate travel during year end but I'll make sure tickets will be used.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There were at least 15,000 people wearing blue that day.

About 7,000 in Tampa 2015. I think travel interest would be highly dependent on date, location. We are pretty much guaranteed to get a MAC/Sun/CUSA level opponent and that is fine for this year.

My guess would be Detroit as the most likely option. It's B10 #8 vs MAC. If OSU, Mich and PSU all make NY6 games which they will if they all win out aside from O/M game, then the B10 is looking at having 6 teams for 8 spots. The committees know our record is a bit of a mirage, but they also know we travel, are desperate for a bowl game and spend money.
If it’s Detroit, I’ll be there and bring 3-7 people. We went to the Michigan game - we have family there

Reaction Score
Hoping the game date is either one in the teens or after Christmas. If it's before Christmas then I will still purchase tickets, but not be able to attend. Travel from Arizona around Christmas is a nightmare.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If it’s Detroit, I’ll be there and bring 3-7 people. We went to the Michigan game - we have family there
Then the team can enter Ford's Field declaring "UConn Football has returned to Detroit!"

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Villages has a UConn fan club and busses hundreds of fans to UConn games within Florida.
It's the prime demographic for women's hoops :p

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not a season ticket holder. Got the email as I do all UConn Athletics emails. It's basically an opt-in email list for the athletic dept, no purchase required.

Anyone have a history of our ticket sales for bowl games (not counting Fiesta Bowl as we know that was a bit of a debacle)?

Same here.

Reaction Score
Maybe before sending out something on bowl games, UConn can wait until it gets to six or seven wins. Just saw a very close Army Air Force game and we know Liberty is ranked high. I see Air Force about the same as UConn this year. Army has a strong defense. UConn may beat both teams, but why not wait to see if we beat even one of them,

Reaction Score
Thank you for your support of UConn Athletics and our student-athletes.

Your order confirmation number is XX-XXXXX--XXXXXXX. For paid ticket orders, you will receive a separate email with your mobile tickets. For more information on mobile tickets please visit uconnhuskies.com/mobiletickets.

A summary of your order follows:

2022 UConn Football Bowl Game Interest

Qty Price Fee Cost
--- -------- --------- ----------
2 0.00 0.00 0.00

Reaction Score
Maybe before sending out something on bowl games, UConn can wait until it gets to six or seven wins. Just saw a very close Army Air Force game and we know Liberty is ranked high. I see Air Force about the same as UConn this year. Army has a strong defense. UConn may beat both teams, but why not wait to see if we beat even one of them,
Snooze/monitor the situation and you may be on the outside looking in (especially as an Independent w/o a bowl tie-in)…

“As the regular season winds down, it is important to plan for success. After last night’s win, we are just one victory away from becoming bowl eligible. Because of our status as an independent football program, it will be important that we show our commitment and desire to support a bowl invitation.

We will be reaching out to many of the bowl game organizers in an effort to present UConn Nation’s readiness to receive a bowl invitation should they be looking for a team.”

No harm - no foul in my mind.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I've ordered 2. Hopefully the rest of the nation will come to understand that if you invite the Huskies, you're inviting UConn Nation...

Reaction Score
Athletic Department email

I just received an email from the athletic department gauging interest in attending a bowl game (see link).

If anyone who is not a season ticket holder (would not have received the email) is interested, please let the athletic department know.

It sounds like a) we will need to lobby available bowls for an invitation and b) guarantee a set number of tickets sold.

This is merely a guess on my part but there is a chance that the school won't lobby very hard if they don't believe we will attend the event. If you want us to go to a bowl and have the available resources (time & money) please support the program.
I got the same email. I’m in for two.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ordered 2, unlikely to attend, although Detroit could be possible.

Reaction Score
Edit: Fiesta Bowl was NOT a "debacle" as far as UConn fan attendance was concerned. Roughly one-quarter of the stadium from the 50 yard line to the end zone where the UCMB was stationed was clad in National Flag Blue. Most of those were intelligent folks who bought ducats on the aftermarket. The National Championship was held in that same stadium. Fans of the participating teams were forced to buy tickets to all 3 bowl games being held in the Phoenix area. Those fans then dumped the tickets to the Fiesta Bowl & the game played in ASU's stadium onto Stub Hub et al. where they sold at bargain basement prices.
DON'T EVER forget that fact.
EXACTLY this. I’ll admit I bought my tailgate, parking and game ticket to the fiesta bowl for dirt cheap on the secondary market to the fiesta bowl and it helped me be able to afford the rest of the trip. No regrets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom