Bourbon & Rye | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bourbon & Rye

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There was not a single trace in the glass. It was on one passing nosing and I did not get it a second time. Like you, not something I want in my spirit.

This stuff is next level compared to most bourbons. If you can try it at a bar, give it a go. I always suggest some water be added as its high proof and super concentrated. First water I added the nose changed to what I can only describe as what hits you when you open a fresh jar of cinnamon powder. Once I hit the " spot " with water, it was all creamy caramel, toffee, honey, cherry, just lots going on.

I say all this as someone who is also a single malt drinker first, rye and then everything else. Booker's is pretty singular usually.
Bookers, and many Beam products, often have that peanut brittle note I love. Just like Jack Daniels has banana and Dickel has that Flintsones vitamin thing. I believe it’s yeast derived. Four Roses does a great job of showing the variation from yeast and it’s pretty amazing. Heaven Hill seems pretty neutral, just very woody.

Reaction Score
Just saw this thread! Here are some of my favorites / least favorites. I find that I really enjoy the complexities (and strength) of many of the bourbons in the $70 - $100 range. But I also like to have a cheaper mid-week go-to.
  • Every day (well... hopefully not EVERY day). I've been going with the Four Roses Small Batch ($35). But I find there are plenty of good ones from all the major distillers and blenders.
  • Dislike:
    • I don't love the Hudson bourbon / ryes. Same with Widow Jane. Not bad, but I don't think they are worth the price or hype. But they make good gifts and aren't bad to have around for an Old Fashioned.
    • Most disappointing was a Whistlepig 10 year Rye. I think I like rye, but maybe I don't like real rye? Tasted like cut grass... that was soaked by the rain... and left to sit in a barrel.
    • Whatever Booker's I got. I think it was Granny's batch. Too much heat without flavor.
  • Like:
    • I enjoy Angel's Envy Finished Rye. It's pricey (to me), but I find it worth it (and the bottle is cool). My local store didn't have it for a while. I bought a MUCH cheaper Redemption Rum Cask Finish and I think it's pretty good.
    • I'm in agreement with @Deepelm. I like everything I've gotten from Barrel. Seagrass, Dovetail, and I recently bought a second bottle of the Armida. The Armida seems a bit polarizing. I'd say it's not really a bourbon anymore. Kind of like a brandy, or even a super high octane madeira.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just saw this thread! Here are some of my favorites / least favorites. I find that I really enjoy the complexities (and strength) of many of the bourbons in the $70 - $100 range. But I also like to have a cheaper mid-week go-to.
  • Every day (well... hopefully not EVERY day). I've been going with the Four Roses Small Batch ($35). But I find there are plenty of good ones from all the major distillers and blenders.
  • Dislike:
    • I don't love the Hudson bourbon / ryes. Same with Widow Jane. Not bad, but I don't think they are worth the price or hype. But they make good gifts and aren't bad to have around for an Old Fashioned.
    • Most disappointing was a Whistlepig 10 year Rye. I think I like rye, but maybe I don't like real rye? Tasted like cut grass... that was soaked by the rain... and left to sit in a barrel.
    • Whatever Booker's I got. I think it was Granny's batch. Too much heat without flavor.
  • Like:
    • I enjoy Angel's Envy Finished Rye. It's pricey (to me), but I find it worth it (and the bottle is cool). My local store didn't have it for a while. I bought a MUCH cheaper Redemption Rum Cask Finish and I think it's pretty good.
    • I'm in agreement with @Deepelm. I like everything I've gotten from Barrel. Seagrass, Dovetail, and I recently bought a second bottle of the Armida. The Armida seems a bit polarizing. I'd say it's not really a bourbon anymore. Kind of like a brandy, or even a super high octane madeira.

Have become a big fan of Four Roses Small Batch and for a few bucks more the Single Barrel. For the under $50 price range I think Single Barrel is a great drink for a great price.

Had some Whistle Pig 10 year rye single barrel cask strength??? last weekend at a friend's house. It was a special edition or something. Had another label near the top. Maybe about 110 proof. Definitely didn't have any qualms sipping that. I'll see him tomorrow and get specifics.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Have become a big fan of Four Roses Small Batch and for a few bucks more the Single Barrel. For the under $50 price range I think Single Barrel is a great drink for a great price.

Had some Whistle Pig 10 year rye single barrel cask strength??? last weekend at a friend's house. It was a special edition or something. Had another label near the top. Maybe about 110 proof. Definitely didn't have any qualms sipping that. I'll see him tomorrow and get specifics.

I misquoted my memory.
12 year rye. 86 proof. One of their made to spec blends of the three different barrel profiles. In this case the Navy military liquor stores.

Attachments

• IMG_20220820_155614.jpg
    IMG_20220820_155614.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
  • Dislike:
  • Like:

There can be a vast difference between the regular Whistle Pig 10, and store pick single barrels of the same. Also, while all of it used to be Alberta Rye, sometimes it is now MGP (Midwestern Grain Products out of Indiana). Lotf os people love the MPG Rye, but I don't. Too much dill. I do love MGP bourbon. Alberta has a different profile, a good one will have a lot of caramel and also spice cake notes.

The other Whistle Pig stuff, their own stuff from Vermont, that has not been very good so far. Somewhat surprisingly the Piggyback Rye aged on David Ortiz baseball bats (seriously) is pretty good.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
  • Dislike:
  • Like:

I really, really want to like Hudson’s because they’re local…but you’re right. It’s just unremarkable in every way and it’s twice the price it should be. I used to like taking company there, but with all of the other distilleries popping up, there are better options for that, too.

And totally agree on Barrel….I love everything I have from them.

One new distillery that has my attention…Vale Fox in LaGrange, NY.

They have a single malt coming out in two months. While they’re waiting, they’ve released a terrific classic gin for cocktails (widely carried by bars (Wood n Tap) and liquor stores in Connecticut.) and some collaborations with Jeffrey Dean Morgan and his wife….they’ve released a blackberry gin and a rye under the MF Libations label.

Have not tried either, but will soon.

Reaction Score
Bourbon is the only hard alcohol I thoroughly enjoy. I don't drink it often, but I go through a 750 ml every few months or so and when I do drink it, I have it straight.

I've lately been on a NY bourbon kick. Currently midway through a bottle of Hudson Whiskey NY Bright Lights, Big Bourbon and enjoy it immensely. Very smooth, warming and a light caramel sweetness. At 92 proof, feels almost light. $44/750 ml is a great deal, IMO.

Before that, I also really liked Widow Jane. I got it as a birthday gift from my brother-in-law who grew up near Rosendale, NY, where they source the limestone mineral water for the bourbon. 91 proof, but hits harder than the BLBB. I recall some maple notes too. It was a lovely gift, and a very good bourbon, but at $70/750 ml, I'm sure there are better bourbons out there at that price point.

Hope you're feeling better, @HuskyHawk.

Replying about a year late, but a friend recommended Hill Rock Solera aged Bourbon to me and I really like it. Expensive (bottle was $80 I think) but unique enough to warrant it imo. Right near the Connecticut/Mass border in NY.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I really, really want to like Hudson’s because they’re local…but you’re right. It’s just unremarkable in every way and it’s twice the price it should be. I used to like taking company there, but with all of the other distilleries popping up, there are better options for that, too.

And totally agree on Barrel….I love everything I have from them.

One new distillery that has my attention…Vale Fox in LaGrange, NY.

They have a single malt coming out in two months. While they’re waiting, they’ve released a terrific classic gin for cocktails (widely carried by bars (Wood n Tap) and liquor stores in Connecticut.) and some collaborations with Jeffrey Dean Morgan and his wife….they’ve released a blackberry gin and a rye under the MF Libations label.

Have not tried either, but will soon.

Hudson's reputation is pretty poor among more serious bourbon drinkers (not Beam white label types), along with FEW and Cleveland. Corsair is supposed to be terrible too. Some of the craft distillers make good stuff, improve and age things properly in full sized barrels. Others don't. I'm done with Mad River. Been in business for years and they still won't age things in full sized barrels, leading to that awful wet cardboard flavor you get from small barrels.

Barrel doesn't distill anything. They do blend and then finish what they get. The bourbon is mostly Dickel from Tennessee blended with other stuff. The rye can be blends of all sorts of stuff, Dickel, MGP, Alberta and some from Poland. They do a good job, just wish the price point was lower.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm done with Mad River. Been in business for years and they still won't age things in full sized barrels, leading to that awful wet cardboard flavor you get from small barrels.
Funny, we were in Waitsfield with a group of friends a few summers ago and one morning we hit up the local farmers market, where Mad River had a booth and was pouring samples. My buddies were eager to partake; I had one taste and thought it was jet fuel. They were looking for a gift for a friend of theirs and decided to chip in on whatever their most expensive one was. I was thinking I would have been bummed if I was the recipient.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Replying about a year late, but a friend recommended Hill Rock Solera aged Bourbon to me and I really like it. Expensive (bottle was $80 I think) but unique enough to warrant it imo. Right near the Connecticut/Mass border in NY.

It’s $100….

It’s off 82 in Ancram. Not crazy convenient for people in Connecticut. Best bet is to come out 44….or make a day of it, come out 84, head up the Taconic to Vale Fox, Hudson House, Taconic, Dutch’s, Hill Rock and then head home down through 44.

Hudson's reputation is pretty poor among more serious bourbon drinkers (not Beam white label types), along with FEW and Cleveland. Corsair is supposed to be terrible too. Some of the craft distillers make good stuff, improve and age things properly in full sized barrels. Others don't. I'm done with Mad River. Been in business for years and they still won't age things in full sized barrels, leading to that awful wet cardboard flavor you get from small barrels.

Barrel doesn't distill anything. They do blend and then finish what they get. The bourbon is mostly Dickel from Tennessee blended with other stuff. The rye can be blends of all sorts of stuff, Dickel, MGP, Alberta and some from Poland. They do a good job, just wish the price point was lower.

Distilling your own stuff is overrated.

Far more appreciative of how Barrel does it than how Hillrock does. (Get a current Hillrock and tell me that you will pay $100 for it….)

Reaction Score
I'm in agreement with @Deepelm. I like everything I've gotten from Barrel. Seagrass, Dovetail, and I recently bought a second bottle of the Armida. The Armida seems a bit polarizing. I'd say it's not really a bourbon anymore. Kind of like a brandy, or even a super high octane madeira.

They are coming to our store tomorrow for a tasting. Cant wait. The staff will get to try the new Grey Label Dovetail.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They are coming to our store tomorrow for a tasting. Cant wait. The staff will get to try the new Grey Label Dovetail.

Steal it. Give it to us.

Reaction Score
It’s $100….

It’s off 82 in Ancram. Not crazy convenient for people in Connecticut. Best bet is to come out 44….or make a day of it, come out 84, head up the Taconic to Vale Fox, Hudson House, Taconic, Dutch’s, Hill Rock and then head home down through 44.

Far more appreciative of how Barrel does it than how Hillrock does. (Get a current Hillrock and tell me that you will pay $100 for it….)

Nice, looks like batch 004 is a good one under $100 will give it a shot if I see it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Funny, we were in Waitsfield with a group of friends a few summers ago and one morning we hit up the local farmers market, where Mad River had a booth and was pouring samples. My buddies were eager to partake; I had one taste and thought it was jet fuel. They were looking for a gift for a friend of theirs and decided to chip in on whatever their most expensive one was. I was thinking I would have been bummed if I was the recipient.
I used to go to that farmer's market all the time! It's about 20 minutes from our former house in Rochester. There is a "tasting place" adjacent to it in the plaza, that always has Mad River and some other stuff to try. I understood when they were new and aging quickly, but there's no excuse now to sell crap aged in tiny barrels for under 2 years at $50 a bottle.

Barr Hill is often there too. Their gin is excellent, especially the Tomcat. Their vodka is good too and if you see the maple syrup vodka, buy that. I didn't and regret it. Distilled entirely from maple syrup as the sugar source.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Local shop owner bought a barrel of it. I tried it and...NFW. It's not worth $50.
Man, t8ke raved about the grey label stuff. Lucky to get some of it.

Reaction Score
Local shop owner bought a barrel of it. I tried it and...NFW. It's not worth $50.

Man, t8ke raved about the grey label stuff. Lucky to get some of it.

His review of the Seagrass Grey was a 10/10. I tried the Dovetail Saturday and I would say its an easy 9/10. Just amazing stuff. The new " Vantage " expression is quite good too.

1661870493174.png

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Right?

Are they just reusing barrels for too long?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Right?

Are they just reusing barrels for too long?
The bourbon is aged Solera style, which just doesn't seem to work for bourbon. It's an end run on the legal requirement that bourbon is aged in new charred oak. Meaning a new barrel. By adding some in and taking some out over a long time, they seem to be using barrels longer than would be possible otherwise. The result is just bland, and some of it may be quite young, you don't know. I honestly don't know how they legally call it bourbon. I haven't had the Malt or Rye. The rye gets new charred oak, might be better. No idea who the crazy people are that pay their prices.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Mrs Diesel and I started binge watching The Outlaws on Amazon Prime this wek and have enjoyed some of this each night.

Nothing crazy and you should be able to find it at most stores. But for the $40-$50 price range it's plenty good for sipping and serving a guest.

20220830_211928.jpg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This was VERY hot. Never had a whiskey take so much water and stay hot Azzi Fudd. Will have to let it sit a couple months and settle some. Once I got it dialed in though the flavors were crazy.
The worst I've had were some of the hazmat level Stagg Jr. bottles, but ECBP is often a bruiser. Oxidation really seems to help take the edge off. I used to open those bottles, poor some and put it back in a dark place for a few months.

Took me a moment to figure out what you actually typed for Azzi Fudd.

Reaction Score
The worst I've had were some of the hazmat level Stagg Jr. bottles, but ECBP is often a bruiser. Oxidation really seems to help take the edge off. I used to open those bottles, poor some and put it back in a dark place for a few months.

Took me a moment to figure out what you actually typed for Azzi Fudd.

Yup. Had this happen with a Glenallachie 15. It was ROUGH when opened. Two months on and its amazing now that its been open. I can wait.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom