Bourbon & Rye | The Boneyard

Bourbon & Rye

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well we’ve got Scotch to to spare those who don’t care for American Whiskies, I figured we could add this thread. Might attack and murder a few more folks who like bourbon or rye and not Scotch.

I had a productive Christmas getting three bottles and a sampler pack from Virginia Distillery. Two Knob Creek store picks from Bill’s Liquors in Beaufort SC (@Chin Diesel knows it) courtesy of mom and dad. The 2020 pick was exceptional. KC store picks are an amazing value. Then a surprise from my brother and sister in law, a Four Roses single barrel store select from Kansas City. My nephew works in that store while in college so I’m sure I have him to thank. These are amazing and have become harder to find. Four Roses just doesn’t have enough old stock.

Still can’t taste much of anything (thanks Covid) so opening these will have to wait.

1061EF0F-6DBF-492D-A550-809449CB9DCE.jpeg

Reaction Score
Bourbon is the only hard alcohol I thoroughly enjoy. I don't drink it often, but I go through a 750 ml every few months or so and when I do drink it, I have it straight.

I've lately been on a NY bourbon kick. Currently midway through a bottle of Hudson Whiskey NY Bright Lights, Big Bourbon and enjoy it immensely. Very smooth, warming and a light caramel sweetness. At 92 proof, feels almost light. $44/750 ml is a great deal, IMO.

Before that, I also really liked Widow Jane. I got it as a birthday gift from my brother-in-law who grew up near Rosendale, NY, where they source the limestone mineral water for the bourbon. 91 proof, but hits harder than the BLBB. I recall some maple notes too. It was a lovely gift, and a very good bourbon, but at $70/750 ml, I'm sure there are better bourbons out there at that price point.

Hope you're feeling better, @HuskyHawk.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wife gifted me with a bottle of Wigle rye. Had a finger's worth. Not my thing. I usually keep a bottle of Minchter's aroung for mixing, but lately have tried other small brands to see if I'm missing anything. I don't think so. I like the Wigle folks. Used to go to their labeling parties when they were a startup 8 years ago, and they've had some hits with gins and liqueurs, I haven't found a whiskey yet that I really enjoy. At least it was a local gift.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well we’ve got Scotch to to spare those who don’t care for American Whiskies, I figured we could add this thread. Might attack a few more folks who like bourbon or rye and not Scotch.

I had a productive Christmas getting three bottles and a sampler pack from Virginia Distillery. Two Knob Creek store picks from Bill’s Liquors in Beaufort SC (@Chin Diesel knows it) courtesy of mom and dad. The 2020 pick was exceptional. KC store picks are an amazing value. Then a surprise from my brother and sister in law, a Four Roses single barrel store select from Kansas City. My nephew works in that store while in college so I’m sure I have him to thank. These are amazing and have become harder to find. Four Roses just doesn’t have enough old stock.

Still can’t taste much of anything (thanks Covid) so opening these will have to wait.

View attachment 72089

Nice pick ups. All very good choices to have on hand to serve friends.

I've become a big fan of the Four Roses Single barrel this year.

Sunday night has become a bourbon night for me a prelude to Yellowstone and during Yellowstone.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Might attack and murder a few more folks who like bourbon or rye and not Scotch.
I mean, I'm not a fan of either whiskey, but I think attacking people who like them is pushing it a bit far.

Besides, that leaves more Scotch for me.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I mean, I'm not a fan of either whiskey, but I think attacking people who like them is pushing it a bit far.

Besides, that leaves more Scotch for me.

This is what comes of posting with Covid. There are about three typos in that post, but Tom doesn't like the edit button anymore so...it is what it is.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
New Riff Malted Rye

For $60, just buy it.

I’d certainly give that a try. I can often find New Riff at Seelbachs. It’s a nice online shop that ships to many places. Not Mass, so I have it sent to a friend in RI.

For both you and @8893 the Chattanooga is high malt bourbon that uses malted rye as well. Really an interesting hybrid between malt and bourbon. Also: cheap.

Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk, to respond to your question in the scotch thread, out of those notes you suggested, vanilla and brittle sound nice. The Hudson bourbon I’ve almost finished has a nice sweet/vanilla note to balance out the booze.

I’m no bourbon expert, though, so there’s a good chance I don’t even know exactly what I like yet.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
My favorite bourbons are:
Knob Creek
Bullit
Horse Soldier
Heaven's Door
Woodford Reserve
Buffalo Trace

And I always have a bottle of Jack Daniels and Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk, to respond to your question in the scotch thread, out of those notes you suggested, vanilla and brittle sound nice. The Hudson bourbon I’ve almost finished has a nice sweet/vanilla note to balance out the booze.

I’m no bourbon expert, though, so there’s a good chance I don’t even know exactly what I like yet.

Knob Creek 9 year is inexpensive (especially with that age statement) and is known for Peanut Brittle notes, but also some caramel. The Single Barrel is better but is 120 proof.

Four Roses single barrel or Small Batch Reserve are both good. Both more vanilla, caramel with some spice.

Wheaters are good for vanilla notes and while hard to find, there is a good one from Wilderness Trail that people are not yet clearing from shelves.

Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare are both good, I like the Eagle Rare more. Same distillery and it’s known more for cherry, caramel and vanilla.

Reaction Score
Bourbon is ultimately a matter of personal taste and what you are hankering for at the time.

For me, some of the Jim Beam products have a "rawness" to them...Booker's, Knob Creek...and when I want that taste, I go for that.

I was gifted a Booker's Noe Strangers...and I do cut it with a splash to lessen that proof bite. Angel's Envy is another that I splash.

I always keep an everyday lower market bourbon...right now that is Woodford Reserve (Ok to sip neat)...I also will buy Blanton's and Buffalo Trace (sip neat),

As a matter of personal taste, I prefer more corn and less rye.

Reaction Score
There are a myriad of smaller distilleries that have started up....While touring on the Harley in Texas Hill Country we wandered into Garrison Brothers Bourbon distillery near Fredericksburg and a small rum distillers near Wimberley...

There is a bourbon maker in Dillard, Georgia (RM Rose & Company) that I have only tasted at their tasting room.

Reaction Score
Pappy ( the more aged ones) is too pricey for me for an everyday bourbon.

I might buy a bottle to bring down now and again...but have not done so.

If it is over $125...somebody has given it to me.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Pappy ( the more aged ones) is too pricey for me for an everyday bourbon.

I might buy a bottle to bring down now and again...but have not done so.

If it is over $125...somebody has given it to me.

Ha. Good luck finding one for under $1000. Sometimes you might get one for $150 if you win a store lottery or something.

Reaction Score
Ha. Good luck finding one for under $1000. Sometimes you might get one for $150 if you win a store lottery or something.

Ouch...didn't know it was that expensive...thought in the $500 range...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Ouch...didn't know it was that expensive...thought in the $500 range...

Well there is no one "Pappy". There are some Van Winkle bottles that don't say "Pappy" and the cheapest is the 10 year Old Rip. Pretty much all are over $1000 in any way you'd find them aside from lottery. Some are a few thousand. It's absurd. The Buffalo Trace Antique Collection isn't much cheaper (but is a better value...to the extent that word can apply at all).
  • Old Rip Van WInkle 10yr
  • Special Reserve 12yr
  • Family Reserve 20yr
  • Family Reserve 15yr
  • Family Reserve Rye
  • Family Reserve 23yr

Reaction Score
Nothing consumable should be that expensive. Total scam.

@Fishy, you’re correct. I’m about 90 minutes from the Hudson distillery. We frequented that part of NY a ton during the start of the pandemic and it’s one of my favorite areas to visit.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So some celebrity booze news.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan and his lovely wife are getting into the booze business. Hudson Valley area so maybe something some of you can find. A gin and a rye for starters.

In other news, the Whistle Piggyback Pig Big Papi Legends Series rye, finished with actual maple baseball bats is....good. No idea why it works but it softens it with more vanilla and smooths it out. Definitely better than the regular Piggyback, which is not great for the price.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I've tried 3 different Pappy varieties, and they were all great. But the price is ridiculous. For my money, Blanton's Original is the stuff. I also really like Rowan's Creek for less $.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Wow, it's probably been a year since I last bought Blanton's. I just checked online, and it's selling for almost $200 now!? When did that happen?

Reaction Score
Wow, it's probably been a year since I last bought Blanton's. I just checked online, and it's selling for almost $200 now!? When did that happen?

Been like that for a good bit. Folks chase it like its something special and its the most average bourbon I own. I would give you the juice in in the bottle if you were near enough ( not the bottle or cork though, those I like ). Give me KC12, Eagle Rare or even standard Buffalo Trace over that all day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom