Bourbon & Rye | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Bourbon & Rye

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The worst I've had were some of the hazmat level Stagg Jr. bottles, but ECBP is often a bruiser. Oxidation really seems to help take the edge off. I used to open those bottles, poor some and put it back in a dark place for a few months.

Took me a moment to figure out what you actually typed for Azzi Fudd.
*Pour. Why does this happen? I did not type poor. I know the difference in the words. I see this all the time lately. I swear I made fewer mistakes before spellcheck/AI got in the way.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
His review of the Seagrass Grey was a 10/10. I tried the Dovetail Saturday and I would say its an easy 9/10. Just amazing stuff. The new " Vantage " expression is quite good too.

View attachment 78732

Yeah, you straight motivated me to kill the rest of my bottle of Dovetail this weekend.

Love it....I won't replace it right away, though. I need to start making a dent in what I have.

Taylor Small Batch is gone now, too. Received it as a gift...enjoyed it, but not replacing it unless I see it retail price...which I won't.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Picked up High West Campfire yesterday at a small store that had an old batch at the old price. Anybody else like this stuff? The blend of bourbon, rye and peated Scotch just works nicely as a fall dram.

Reaction Score
Yeah, you straight motivated me to kill the rest of my bottle of Dovetail this weekend.

Love it....I won't replace it right away, though. I need to start making a dent in what I have.

Taylor Small Batch is gone now, too. Received it as a gift...enjoyed it, but not replacing it unless I see it retail price...which I won't.

If you get a chance at a pour of the Grey Label dive on it. Its beyond good.

Taylor is a great bourbon, just wish it wasnt such a unicorn. So dumb some of this stuff is harder to get than others.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If you get a chance at a pour of the Grey Label dive on it. Its beyond good.

Taylor is a great bourbon, just wish it wasnt such a unicorn. So dumb some of this stuff is harder to get than others.
Taylor Small Batch was always a favorite at $40. But the prices are stupid now.

What's your view on Barrell Vantage. I saw it on shelves this weekend at $85. It was in your tasting right?

Reaction Score

What's your view on Barrell Vantage. I saw it on shelves this weekend at $85. It was in your tasting right?

I have a Taylor I snagged at pretty much retail, $55.00. So I cant complain. And I just traded for one as well, along with an OF Single Barrel. So pretty excited to try that OF.

The Vantage is quite nice stuff. It had some classic bourbon flavors, caramel, toffee, vanilla as well as some good pepper on the finish with I assume was due to proof. I would try and get a taste before I purchased if it were me. The Barrell stuff is so palate specific in my experience. For instance Seagrass is everyones fav one, and it did nothing for me at all. I found it quite boring actually. As always with your own palate YMMV. But the Vantage would be a buy for me personally. However I have the advantage of having tasted it. I know its tough to pull the trigger on stuff that is that price and a blend or lower in age. Especially for those of us who typically drink single malts.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah, I am just gonna buy it if I see it.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
These guys are putting together some excellent single cask and blended US whiskies from craft distillers around the country. I've given some as gifts and its been very well received. I really liked the Cedar Ridge when it was released.

Lost Lantern Whiskey

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
These guys are putting together some excellent single cask and blended US whiskies from craft distillers around the country. I've given some as gifts and its been very well received. I really liked the Cedar Ridge when it was released.

Lost Lantern Whiskey
Is that like an IB for bourbon and rye? Interesting I suppose but I wonder if the barrel variation justifies it. In Scotch the IBs often take barrels that may be great but off profile or house style. More options is a good thing in any event.

Reaction Score
Yes. Very common in Scotland and these folks are doing a great job with the concept in the US.

Reaction Score
Barrell batch 31 at the local shop for $72. Gonna take y’all’s word for it and pull the trigger

Reaction Score
Barrell batch 31 at the local shop for $72. Gonna take y’all’s word for it and pull the trigger

That is supposed to be a good one. You can look up what is in it as far as the blend.

Reaction Score
When your once a week shift is with the business owner. The Whiskey one is a 24yo Canadian blend. Delicious stuff.

1662930766342.png

Reaction Score
When your once a week shift is with the business owner. The Whiskey one is a 24yo Canadian blend. Delicious stuff.

View attachment 78983
What’s the deal with their Private Release stuff? Picked up a bottle because I’ve liked everything from them so far, but it’s hard to get info. I’ll be trying it later. Hope it’s good. Was same price as Dovetail and others retail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 89

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What’s the deal with their Private Release stuff? Picked up a bottle because I’ve liked everything from them so far, but it’s hard to get info. I’ll be trying it later. Hope it’s good. Was same price as Dovetail and others retail.
Probably a store barrel pick. What does the back say about it? Where distilled?

Reaction Score
Balked on the Barrell (will get eventually) and went Michters us 1 bourbon. I really like it, down the middle but very flavorful.

Have found this to be a pretty good list for the “on the shelf” bourbons

Reaction Score

The place you purchased SHOULD have that info. Even if not sounds like its a good one as HH said above me.

Reaction Score
The place you purchased SHOULD have that info. Even if not sounds like its a good one as HH said above me.
Got it at Bottle King. Good selection and prices, but hard to get knowledgeable help.

It’s quite good. Doesn’t feel 120 proof.

Reaction Score
Got it at Bottle King. Good selection and prices, but hard to get knowledgeable help.

It’s quite good. Doesn’t feel 120 proof.
No idea how they pull that off but I get the same on the two store picks I have. They do not drink to their proof. Even the hazmat rye we had of theirs didn't drink to its full heat of 148.

Reaction Score
Added a couple this weekend. My daughter is serving Old Fashioned cocktails at her rehearsal dinner and for my money, Whistlepig 6yo rye makes the best one. And I have wanted to try the Rendezvous Rye for a while but didnt want to grab a whole bottle, so finding a pint is a nice win. And the WP Bourbon is getting some good reviews so I figured why not.

1663602442575.png

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Added a couple this weekend. My daughter is serving Old Fashioned cocktails at her rehearsal dinner and for my money, Whistlepig 6yo rye makes the best one. And I have wanted to try the Rendezvous Rye for a while but didnt want to grab a whole bottle, so finding a pint is a nice win. And the WP Bourbon is getting some good reviews so I figured why not.

View attachment 79159
I found the regular PiggyBack Rye to be more "mixer" grade stuff (although the David Ortiz one is better). Rendezvous is nice stuff, and that's an older batch by the label. Not too heavy handed on the spice, more "barely legal" rye profile. Had no idea Whistle Pig made a bourbon. Where was it distilled?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom