Bourbon & Rye | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Bourbon & Rye

Reaction Score
I found the regular PiggyBack Rye to be more "mixer" grade stuff (although the David Ortiz one is better). Rendezvous is nice stuff, and that's an older batch by the label. Not too heavy handed on the spice, more "barely legal" rye profile. Had no idea Whistle Pig made a bourbon. Where was it distilled?

Yup, thats why its perfect for an OF. The spice of it goes nicely against the simple syrup.

Its pretty new. And I believe its a blend of their stuff and MGP. Percentages listed as unknown.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Note anyone interested, and I know @Fishy likes the category, but the TTB is looking at creating an official legal definition of "American Single Malt Whiskey". The below article goes in depth, but also contains the links for ordinary consumers to provide comments to the government through September 27th.

Reaction Score
My buddies wife was in Germany and spotted a Blanton's Gold and picked it up. I wish it was the same price here, its very good bourbon, blows away the regular stuff we get here and its not really close.

1663684916549.png

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
My buddies wife was in Germany and spotted a Blanton's Gold and picked it up. I wish it was the same price here, its very good bourbon, blows away the regular stuff we get here and its not really close.

View attachment 79189
I can't find the regular Blanton's here in Florida to purchase in a liquor store. I did find it in a beach bar/restaurant down here and it has become my favorite bourbon. Granted I am an inexperience bourbon drink but I like it a great deal more than any bourbon I have sampled including Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden and Eagle Rare.

Reaction Score
I can't find the regular Blanton's here in Florida to purchase in a liquor store. I did find it in a beach bar/restaurant down here and it has become my favorite bourbon. Granted I am an inexperience bourbon drink but I like it a great deal more than any bourbon I have sampled including Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden and Eagle Rare.

Glad you are finding your feet! There are a huge number of options for us here. I Suggest some Old Forester stuff as well. My go to is the 1910 but the 1920 is also fantastic stuff. I have not tried any of the rest of their line ( its extensive ).

Reaction Score
Glad you are finding your feet! There are a huge number of options for us here. I Suggest some Old Forester stuff as well. My go to is the 1910 but the 1920 is also fantastic stuff. I have not tried any of the rest of their line ( its extensive ).
Thank you, I have some work to do. I was in CT for a few days 2 weeks ago and I spent the afternoon at Bobby V's with my brother in-law waiting for my flight while drinking bourbon. They had quite a selection compared to what I can get in Florida. This is becoming a hobby.

Reaction Score
Thank you, I have some work to do. I was in CT for a few days 2 weeks ago and I spent the afternoon at Bobby V's with my brother in-law waiting for my flight while drinking bourbon. They had quite a selection compared to what I can get in Florida. This is becoming a hobby.

You have tried the bog standard stuff from your post above. Try and find a Booker's, maybe an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof batch to try. Both of those are multiple annual release bottles and most batches are quite tasty, super high proof and unique.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
First time spotting this in NC

View attachment 79598
I ordered from Seelbachs. I think the single barrel picks got the press, because this was pretty ordinary. I'd rather have $30 Michters or something really. But hope you enjoy it.

Reaction Score
I ordered from Seelbachs. I think the single barrel picks got the press, because this was pretty ordinary. I'd rather have $30 Michters or something really. But hope you enjoy it.

Mitchters didnt hit the spot for me. This one ran me $45 I think. So worth a shot for one I never see around me. Worst case, I have plenty of ginger beer for some horse feather cocktails.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Blanton's is under 100 proof, so maybe seek out some other bourbons that have some age at about that proof. The 9 year Knob Creek (especially any Single Barrels) might be a good one. Blanton's and Eagle Rare are too hard to find now. Too much demand and allocated. My favorite mid proof bourbon right now is probably Four Roses Small Batch Select. Highly recommend it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Mitchters didnt hit the spot for me. This one ran me $45 I think. So worth a shot for one I never see around me. Worst case, I have plenty of ginger beer for some horse feather cocktails.
Yeah, that's what I paid. It's not bad or anything, but last year everyone was excited about Smoke Wagon!!, and I think it was some old stuff distilled by others they had. This is ok.

Reaction Score
Blanton's is under 100 proof, so maybe seek out some other bourbons that have some age at about that proof. The 9 year Knob Creek (especially any Single Barrels) might be a good one. Blanton's and Eagle Rare are too hard to find now. Too much demand and allocated. My favorite mid proof bourbon right now is probably Four Roses Small Batch Select. Highly recommend it.
Good recommendation. I can find Four Roses Small Batch Select as well as Knob Creek. Bobby V's had Eagle Rare and at a decent price for a pour.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's what I paid. It's not bad or anything, but last year everyone was excited about Smoke Wagon!!, and I think it was some old stuff distilled by others they had. This is ok.

I would have to look at the bottle date ( assuming it can be located ) but I know their stuff WAS MGP. Not sure if they are on to their own product by now or not.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I would have to look at the bottle date ( assuming it can be located ) but I know their stuff WAS MGP. Not sure if they are on to their own product by now or not.
My bottle said distilled in Nevada I believe (it did not say Indiana). It's straight, so 2 years old, but no other age statement. I buy 4-6 year old MGP on the regular, especially the Tumbling Dice stuff, which has been tremendous. The Senator/Representative whatever brand is decent too. No idea who bottles that, and I hate their wax.

Reaction Score
I wish I bought more when it was $65. :(

You and everyone else lol. I feel its worth the money though. Not too many bourbons are as good as often. ECBP batches are another I always grab on sight.

Reaction Score
Bit of a sherry kick this week it seems. This is some fine tasty stuff. There is an entire series of wine and other finishes, which include a madeira, merlo, cab sav, cognac, chardonnay and port. I would like to track down a madeira one to try. Anyone had any of the others? If you are more of a single malt guy, this may be up your alley. Lots going on in the glass.

20221014_194318.jpg

Reaction Score
I have questions. What the hell are the smoking? The malt? The corn? The rye? The finished distillate (not sure if they can do that can call it bourbon, but maybe)?

Odds that this is better than High West Campfire? Low.

These gimmicks are cracking me up of late. Though @August_West assures me the french fry ones were not that bad.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
These gimmicks are cracking me up of late. Though @August_West assures me the french fry ones were not that bad.
I mean I want to say best booze ever because, you know, arbys. But it wasn’t. But it wasn’t terrible . I used for bloodies with bacon and a lot of horseradish . It worked well

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom