Bouknight to UConn | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Bouknight to UConn

Reaction Score
Let’s see how Penny does at Memphis. I have come to realize this past year it’s time to embrace and not shun the AAC in both MBB and football.
If Coach Hurley gets rolling and Penny that will quickly changes the conference dynamic for basketball.
Comments on Penny's pitch to recruits:

If the first few months of Penny Hardaway’s tenure at Memphis have proven anything, it’s that his NBA pitch is hitting home with recruits.

It’s not just that former NBA player Mike Miller and former NBA coach of the year Sam Mitchell are also on his staff. It’s that their playing and coaching days in the NBA conjure up recent memories, a fact Hardaway turns to often when explaining why they can best prepare prospects for the NBA.

He may be looking to compete with Cal and Coach K for the OAD's.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yeah no garlic, no ricotta, no pan drippings, no basil, no thanks...

The point of this wasn't how she makes all her sauces, or even the best sauce, just that it's a super simple, quick and dirty recipe.

I actually use it as a base and throw a couple of other things in there. Pancetta, mushrooms, artichoke and things like that. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You've tried the Bella Terra?

Never actually used it for a pizza, so idk there. It makes a great base for a homemade pasta sauce.

Never tried Bella Terra, I've always preferred Pastene.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Comments on Penny's pitch to recruits:

If the first few months of Penny Hardaway’s tenure at Memphis have proven anything, it’s that his NBA pitch is hitting home with recruits.

It’s not just that former NBA player Mike Miller and former NBA coach of the year Sam Mitchell are also on his staff. It’s that their playing and coaching days in the NBA conjure up recent memories, a fact Hardaway turns to often when explaining why they can best prepare prospects for the NBA.

He may be looking to compete with Cal and Coach K for the OAD's.

His NBA pedigree and staff is one hell of a selling point. That, and he got to start his first class off with a bang, recruiting straight from a very talented group of kids he already mentored in AAU.

Reaction Score
I'm just relieved that UConn is a big enough brand and elite enough of a program to be able to recruit while still in the AAC. Great get for Hurley & staff. I think Hurley's first full class will be huge and remind folks that the name on the front of the jersey is much much (MUCH!) bigger than is credited for.
For his first few years, KO was able to recruit just fine. He just didn't coach them well.

Hamilton
Adams
Gilbert
Facey
Durham
Enoch
Jackson

Those were all Top 100 guys. Gilbert and (I think) Hamilton were McDonalds AAs.

The AAC is far from ideal, but if you can recruit here if you win.

Reaction Score
For his first few years, KO was able to recruit just fine. He just didn't coach them well.

Hamilton
Adams
Gilbert
Facey
Durham
Enoch
Jackson

Recruiting only goes so far as your ability to develop players. No results, recruits catch on

Reaction Score
Yeah no garlic, no ricotta, no pan drippings, no basil, no thanks...
The real secret is to coat the bottom of the pot with oil and garlic, then take the garlic out right before it burns. then you sear a pork chop or pork loin on the bottom of the pan, then add the rest of your ingredients and let the pork cook throughout the entire process

Reaction Score

Hamilton
Adams
Gilbert
Facey
Durham
Enoch
Jackson

Yeah, especially prior to the 2017 class, KO really seemed to have the makeup of a top rank recruiter (as you say, however, he just wasn't great when they actually got to campus). Why he suddenly fell off in '17 and '18 is anyone's guess, though complacency was probably a factor. Darn shame.

Reaction Score
Yeah, especially prior to the 2017 class, KO really seemed to have the makeup of a top rank recruiter (as you say, however, he just wasn't great when they actually got to campus). Why he suddenly fell off in '17 and '18 is anyone's guess, though complacency was probably a factor. Darn shame.
If I were a top recruit in 2014 I'd be pumped to come to UConn. After I saw the lack of development of some of the players who did go there, I'd probably be less excited. He may have worked just as hard after, but his reputation sank.

I'm sure there are ways in which KO was less energetic than he could have been. But I take the easier path. Less kids wanted to come because it was clear he didn't develop them that well and also he was on the hot-seat. When you have the first losing season in 30 years--three years after a title!--it's not a good look. Now that year had a ton of injuries, but still, everyone saw the ship was sinking, and few wanted to come aboard. We're lucky we still have Adams/Gilbert/CV/Wilson as good blocks to go with some players who might yet develop.

Reaction Score
If I were a top recruit in 2014 I'd be pumped to come to UConn. After I saw the lack of development of some of the players who did go there, I'd probably be less excited. He may have worked just as hard after, but his reputation sank.

I'm sure there are ways in which KO was less energetic than he could have been. But I take the easier path. Less kids wanted to come because it was clear he didn't develop them that well and also he was on the hot-seat. When you have the first losing season in 30 years--three years after a title!--it's not a good look. Now that year had a ton of injuries, but still, everyone saw the ship was sinking, and few wanted to come aboard. We're lucky we still have Adams/Gilbert/CV/Wilson as good blocks to go with some players who might yet develop.
KO was certainly victimized by injuries in 15-16 but he also inexplicably left two scholarships unfilled and three of his five recruits that year had high school injuries he banked on them recovering fully from. I think he was trying to be a good guy and show loyalty to these kids after their high school injuries but it burned him big time.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The problems really started in 2014.

He was never an enthusiastic recruiter, but he got commitments from Will Jackson and Prince Ali and then lost them because he and the staff didn't do anything to keep them.

It became a theme - kids meet Kevin, kids like Kevin. Kids get to know Kevin, kids no longer so enamored.

Towards the end, he had a lot of trouble even trying to give UConn scholarships away.

Reaction Score
The problems really started in 2014.

He was never an enthusiastic recruiter, but he got commitments from Will Jackson and Prince Ali and then lost them because he and the staff didn't do anything to keep them.

It became a theme - kids meet Kevin, kids like Kevin. Kids get to know Kevin, kids no longer so enamored.

Towards the end, he had a lot of trouble even trying to give UConn scholarships away.

It will always be a mystery to me how a guy whose career was built on embracing hard work and diligence fell off the way he did.

Reaction Score
Let’s see how Penny does at Memphis. I have come to realize this past year it’s time to embrace and not shun the AAC in both MBB and football.
If Coach Hurley gets rolling and Penny that will quickly changes the conference dynamic for basketball.

Amen.

If Memphis lands the #1 recruit in the nation, Wiseman, that is huge for the conference. Good timing as well going into TV negotiations.

Hurley and Hardaway up the ante. Even before them, both UConn and Memphis were no stranger to Top 10 recruiting classes. Memphis accomplished it under Pastner. So, Penny gaining the favor of those recruits should be expected, regardless of whether he's the only CBB coach with his own shoe.

If the rumored dominos fall in recruiting, there is only one NBE team that could possibly land an Achiuwa, Wiseman, Watford, caliber recruit. Nova. Having two programs that can pull from that pedigree positions the league favorably.

Most decent conferences have around a couple teams at the tippy top (with recruits).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It will always be a mystery to me how a guy whose career was built on embracing hard work and diligence fell off the way he did.

There could be a million reasons.

A guy who had to work that hard to get to where he was might have just burned up all the candles he had to burn.

He had a ton of money, he was making a ton more and perhaps the thought of getting in a car and driving four hours to wave at a 17-year old point guard was just not that appealing to him.

Reaction Score
As a player he wasn't that good so the only way he was going to make it was outworking everyone else, he did that to make a life in the NBA. As a coach he didn't have to climb that ladder, he was handed one of the premier jobs in college hoops and then won the whole thing right away. Once that happened he thought he had it all figured out. He pushed away the guy who handed him the job and wasn't afraid to tell him the things he didn't want to hear and surrounded himself with a bunch of yes men.

Reaction Score
As a player he wasn't that good so the only way he was going to make it was outworking everyone else, he did that to make a life in the NBA. As a coach he didn't have to climb that ladder, he was handed one of the premier jobs in college hoops and then won the whole thing right away. Once that happened he thought he had it all figured out. He pushed away the guy who handed him the job and wasn't afraid to tell him the things he didn't want to hear and surrounded himself with a bunch of yes men.
This is so on the money. In retrospect, handing the keys to a guy who never ran a program before and didn’t have to come up through the ranks was a mistake. I think we’ll all sign on for the results the first two years, but I believe KO thought he was at the level of Coach K, Izzo, Cal etc and recruits would just come to him. The Lubin/TSam class started the decline, losing them both and Hamilton after his sophomore year just continued the slide. I feel very comfortable with the guy running the show now because he doesn’t surround himself with yes men and embraces the grind of being the head coach of a big time program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom