Bouknight charged with evading responsibility, interfering with police and more | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bouknight charged with evading responsibility, interfering with police and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nearly all freshmen, away from home for the first time, make immature, foolish mistakes.
Not asking for any special treatment for James but the vibe Chief got early on when I became aware of the situation, was that the cop seemed to enjoy throwing the entire book at James when one minor charge on a minor incident would do.
To answer a poster’s question. No this wouldn’t happen at a school we are trying to be competitive with (Duke, UK, UNC, FL, LSU, TX). I will let others decide if that’s a problem. Chief has his opinion.

I think we've heard many stories of the "heroes" on staff at the University so this isn't new. And yes it should be kept quiet but never has and the horde loves it.

Nonetheless kids need to be aware they aren't the everyday student and understand the ramifications. It's stupid and he needs to suffer for it while others need to see him suffer to know they represent the whole program, their staff etc etc.. They need to respect staying in line and repping the uni. Don't need this BS it's disappointing to even the BY.:confused:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Could it mean that driving without a license means he didn't have one on him at the time? Is there a difference in CT between driving with out a license and be an unlicensed driver (i.e. suspended, revoked, never obtained)? Is CT a state where he could show he is validly licensed after the fact? Honest questions.

Different charges. Cop could have ticketed him for driving without a license if he/she couldn’t have verified he has one but he can go to court and they’ll probably reduce the charge to driving without having a license in your possession or throw it out entirely if he shows he has one. It is technically illegal to drive without your license on you but most cops won’t write the ticket for driving without license in possession if they can verify you have one through the computer system.

Reaction Score
Could it mean that driving without a license means he didn't have one on him at the time? Is there a difference in CT between driving with out a license and be an unlicensed driver (i.e. suspended, revoked, never obtained)? Is CT a state where he could show he is validly licensed after the fact? Honest questions.

I believe that the charge if you are not carrying your license is referred to as “failure to produce” or something similar. It’s a small fine.

C

Chief00

I think we've heard many stories of the "heroes" on staff at the University so this isn't new. And yes it should be kept quiet but never has and the horde loves it.

Nonetheless kids need to be aware they aren't the everyday student and understand the ramifications. It's stupid and he needs to suffer for it while others need to see him suffer to know they represent the whole program, their staff etc etc.. They need to respect staying in line and repping the uni. Don't need this BS it's disappointing to even the BY.:confused:
Guys who murder people get less volume of charges. I agree, punishment is appropriate but this is overdone by the UConn police. Not saying to hide this as would be done at these other schools but 5 or 6 charges for one minor motor vehicle incident is way over done - seems like Susan Herbst’s like wisdom is still running things into the ground.

Reaction Score
A police officer witnessed a vehicle “traveling at a high rate of speed” at about 1:32 a.m. Sept. 27 before hearing screeching tires and witnessing the vehicle crash into a street sign at the intersection of Royce Circle and Wilbur Cross Way, according to a police report. The officer approached the vehicle and Bouknight got out, telling police he did not have any identification, the report continued.

When the officer asked a second time for identification, Bouknight took off and ran, the report stated. Officers canvassed the area and witnessed someone matching Bouknight’s description enter a residence hall but were unable to track him down. Records showed that Bouknight also entered that hall during the same time frame. The UConn freshman has since provided a sworn written statement admitting to his actions, the report states.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
JFC. Don’t run! He gets charged for speeding and possibly driving without a license/failure to carry but nothing more if he doesn’t run. Those are mail in tickets with no court date. The fact that it’s not being swept under the rug is his own damn fault.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nearly all freshmen, away from home for the first time, make immature, foolish mistakes.
Not asking for any special treatment for James but the vibe Chief got early on when I became aware of the situation, was that the cop seemed to enjoy throwing the entire book at James when one minor charge on a minor incident would do.
To answer a poster’s question. No this wouldn’t happen at a school we are trying to be competitive with (Duke, UK, UNC, FL, LSU, TX). I will let others decide if that’s a problem. Chief has his opinion.

Confirmed that not only would the KU campus police give him a warning, the Lawrence police would go easy too. They are actually pretty easy with all the students on what amounts to dumb mistakes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
On one hand it potentially puts UConn at a disadvantage with other schools. On the other UConn is insisting it's athletes take responsibility for their lives. If the campus police are treating a segment of the population differently than other students that's a whole different issue.

NJHusky wrote this:

Wouldn’t a good coach encourage what is in he best interest of the player? Hasn’t JC pushed guys to go to the league rather than having them stay for another year? Even if they were interested in staying?

Why’s it better for AG to stay in school after getting a degree? He’s not going to get any bigger. Do you think a grad year makes him an NBA player? If not, he should start making money IMO since that is a small window.

Based on his track record so far, my guess is DH is going to encourage what is best for the player even if it hurts the team

Hopefully that degree is meaningful and not bogus like the kids who graduated from UNC. If we stoop to the level of not caring about education or discipline than how are any of us better than the system that is currently in existence which is exploitive of university athletes?

C

Chief00

James was wrong but UConn police in some cases don’t have the training or experience to arrest kids from the hood without escalating the situation. Chief has spent time teaching his kids how to react and keep their mouth shout unless asked something and not appear as a physical threat and facing not running from the situation.

Reaction Score
James was wrong but UConn police in some cases don’t have the training or experience to arrest kids from the hood without escalating the situation. Chief has spent time teaching his kids how to react and keep their mouth shout unless asked something and not appear as a physical threat.

Dude....

pj

Reaction Score
A police officer witnessed a vehicle “traveling at a high rate of speed” at about 1:32 a.m. Sept. 27 before hearing screeching tires and witnessing the vehicle crash into a street sign at the intersection of Royce Circle and Wilbur Cross Way, according to a police report. The officer approached the vehicle and Bouknight got out, telling police he did not have any identification, the report continued.

When the officer asked a second time for identification, Bouknight took off and ran, the report stated. Officers canvassed the area and witnessed someone matching Bouknight’s description enter a residence hall but were unable to track him down. Records showed that Bouknight also entered that hall during the same time frame. The UConn freshman has since provided a sworn written statement admitting to his actions, the report states.

Sounds like Ted Kennedy at Chappaquiddick, only without the dead body. Evading the drunk driving charge.

Reaction Score

1:32am crashing into signs, running away? Deserves everything he gets. This is ridiculous and needs to be addressed unlike many other minor incidents in the past. Geez what the hell is he thinking.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
JFC. Don’t run! He gets charged for speeding and possibly driving without a license/failure to carry but nothing more if he doesn’t run. Those are mail in tickets with no court date. The fact that it’s not being swept under the rug is his own damn fault.
Unfortunately he didn't know that. Unfortunately he thought he couldn't be identified. Unfortunately he's like most kids his age. He'll either learn from it or not.

The big thing is he could have been hurt badly and was fortunate it didn't happen. A woman in our neighborhood just passed after 40 years of being paralyzed from the neck down and only semi conscious. She was in her early twenties when it happened. Her driver friend walked out of the car without a scratch. Her mom and brothers provided her with the best care available. But that's a real hit show compared to this small bit of drama.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Chief, your are a true jock sniffer. You intimate that the cop was over zealous and the incident would have been swept under the rug at all the other schools that are sleazy and cheat. The kid did something wrong and caught. Hopefully he will learn from it and move on. Are you suggesting that it would be better if the cop did nothing and casually sent him on his merry way? Just because others might be doing it doesn't make it right. Recalibrate your moral compass Chiefy.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

18 year old panicked and showed immediate remorse. This should go away with a slap on the wrist and a one game suspension.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Unfortunately he didn't know that. Unfortunately he thought he couldn't be identified. Unfortunately he's like most kids his age. He'll either learn from it or not.

I get that. I don’t expect people to know which tickets are mail in fines and which require court appearances. I do expect people to know that you shouldn’t run from the police, though. Either way, what’s done is done. He just needs to pay his penance, learn and move on.

Reaction Score

The big thing is he could have been hurt badly and was fortunate it didn't happen. A woman in our neighborhood just passed after 40 years of being paralyzed from the neck down and only semi conscious. She was in her early twenties when it happened. Her driver friend walked out of the car without a scratch. Her mom and brothers provided her with the best care available. But that's a real hit show compared to this small bit of drama.
I'm not suggesting alcohol was involved, but if it was maybe he was right to run?

Again I'm not suggesting he was drinking, what it seems like is he got very scared and didn't think his actions through immediately.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I get that. I don’t expect people to know which tickets are mail in fines and which require court appearances. I do expect people to know that you shouldn’t run from the police, though. Either way, what’s done is done. He just needs to pay his penance, learn and move on.
Your expectations are less cynical than mine when it comes to how people should behave.:(

Reaction Score
James was wrong but UConn police in some cases don’t have the training or experience to arrest kids from the hood without escalating the situation. Chief has spent time teaching his kids how to react and keep their mouth shout unless asked something and not appear as a physical threat and facing not running from the situation.

Police don't have adequate training to arrest anyone without escalating the situation. I've advocated for police to go to the same training teachers' do because of this at the capitol before--especially schools SROs and campus police.

Let's not make it about race Chief. All kids are idiots, doesn't matter where they're from or if they're some shade of brown.

Reaction Score

Lets be honest here, it was probably the right decision (as messed up as that sounds), because at that time of night on a Friday night he was most likely drinking. Running away is way better than failing a breathalyzer and getting a DUI.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm not suggesting alcohol was involved, but if it was maybe he was right to run?

Again I'm not suggesting he was drinking, what it seems like is he got very scared and didn't think his actions through immediately.
Then why bring it up? I don't think it is very responsible.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

It could be that but it doesn't have to be. What goes on in our minds during a crisis is often anything but rational.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom