borges. Is UConn trying to build a recruiting pipeline through Vermont? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

borges. Is UConn trying to build a recruiting pipeline through Vermont?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but Iowa State has won the last two Big 12 championships. That's not a program I'd mind being compared to. They don't have our history, but they're definitely on the rise.
Big 12 "tourney" championships, but yes respectable, I guess maybe I've become a bit of an elitist the past 25+ years, but to compare us to the cyclones (I feel) is a disservice to our program and what Calhoun has built

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but Iowa State has won the last two Big 12 championships. That's not a program I'd mind being compared to. They don't have our history, but they're definitely on the rise.
they're not even in the same galaxy as us...they can't be compared to us... if we go through a drought like UCLA, Indiana, etc, then people should start worrying

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Because there's a difference... If you wanna compare our program to Iowa St, so be it..... Last I checked, they don't have any championship banners hanging from the rafters either. Personally, I'd like to think our peers are more of the Duke NC KU UofA variety, but that's just me. Maybe our peer is Iowa St now, but I refuse to believe that.
I'm not knockin the ability to get Purvis on campus, but we still couldn't pull him outta high school (we ended up being his 2nd option like so many recruiting fails this season) and to go and lump him with DHam isn't "entirely" true..... that's all I'm trying to say.
it did say that rodney was a recruit for last year... either way he realized that he made a bad choice and corrected it, did we have any guards at the time that committed that might have turned him away? and yeah there is no way that ISU is in the same realm as us, UNC, Duke, UK, KU,

Reaction Score
Because there's a difference... If you wanna compare our program to Iowa St, so be it..... Last I checked, they don't have any championship banners hanging from the rafters either. Personally, I'd like to think our peers are more of the Duke NC KU UofA variety, but that's just me. Maybe our peer is Iowa St now, but I refuse to believe that.
I'm not knockin the ability to get Purvis on campus, but we still couldn't pull him outta high school (we ended up being his 2nd option like so many recruiting fails this season) and to go and lump him with DHam isn't "entirely" true..... that's all I'm trying to say.

I wasn't comparing the programs, I was using them as a reference point for how getting transfers is a part of recruiting all across college basketball.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
I wasn't comparing the programs, I was using them as a reference point for how getting transfers is a part of recruiting all across college basketball.
I agree Aceboon, transfers are part of recruiting.....however, we can't rely on them (we were lucky with Purvis, and his eventual disconnect with NC State) but having a McAA transfer to us is not the norm either. We need to secure'em outta high school. Ultimately, it was a great get for us, but it's a lil misleading clumping him with DHam who we were able to acquire outta high school.

Reaction Score
Big 12 "tourney" championships, but yes respectable, I guess maybe I've become a bit of an elitist the past 25+ years, but to compare us to the cyclones (I feel) is a disservice to our program and what Calhoun has built

The tournament is called the Big 12 Championship. They've won the last two of them.

Iowa State doesn't have our history, but they're on the rise, and one of the strongest programs in the country right now, yesterday's loss notwithstanding.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
The tournament is called the Big 12 Championship. They've won the last two of them.

Iowa State doesn't have our history, but they're on the rise, and one of the strongest programs in the country right now, yesterday's loss notwithstanding.
Good for them, they still should never be compared to us. Didn't realize a team who's only sniffed the Elite 8 once (2000) in the last 70 years should be one of the strongest programs..... But different strokes for different folks I guess

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, do you know how tall Jeff Adrien was?

I saw Jeff Adrien standing next to you and Andre when Drummond was visiting storrs... while Jeff was shorter than Andre he was noticeably taller than you... in fact the blond next to Andre was also taller than you.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Did I ever say that any of those "peer" programs don't bring in transfers? Because that would obviously be false... Unlike Iowa St who relies on transfer, I didn't feel it was proper to compare us to them (not to mention past successes), but rather compare us to duke, etc who bring transfers in to supplement an already good recruiting class. But go right ahead and use my words out of context

Still doesn't change the fact, that my original argument had to do with clumping Purvis And DHam together as top 25 gets can be misleading considering we were Purvis' 2nd choice and frankly we are lucky to have him thanks to Gottfried being a bad personnel manager.

Reaction Score

Until they get better on defense they'll be stuck as what they are: a second round level program. Anyone who follows CBB saw a first round exit for then back in mid January.

Reaction Score
Still doesn't change the fact, that my original argument had to do with clumping Purvis And DHam together as top 25 gets can be misleading considering we were Purvis' 2nd choice
Yes - back in 2011 before KO was head coach.

and frankly we are lucky to have him thanks to Gottfried being a bad personnel manager.
And Duke got lucky with Obi, and Gonzaga with Wiltjer, etc. I guess recruiting transfers is just luck while recruiting high school kids is all skill.

Anyway, Purvis is a 5-star talent from the south. Hamilton is a 5-star talent from LA. Adams is a 5-star talent from our own neighborhood.

Doomed.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Yes - back in 2011 before KO was head coach.
So the main factor for Purvis transferring is because Calhoun stepped down and KO became head coach?!? Had nothing to do with the offense Gottfried ran, or the presence of Cat Barber?!? C'mon guy you're reaching

And Duke got lucky with Obi, and Gonzaga with Wiltjer, etc. I guess recruiting transfers is just luck while recruiting high school kids is all skill.

Luck.....fortunate, whichever you like man. The fact remains that circumstances had to arise first for these players to even consider transferring. Without that, they would still be on the original squads and Duke/Gonzaga would have Zero chance bringing them in. With a transfer, you are at the mercy of something going wrong with the original school (unlike recruiting straight from H.S.) Don't know how else to explain it you :(

Reaction Score
Wasn't Uconn Purvis' first choice until we got the post season ban? I could be totally wrong but I thought i remember hearing that.

Reaction Score
So the main factor for Purvis transferring is because Calhoun stepped down and KO became head coach?!? Had nothing to do with the offense Gottfried ran, or the presence of Cat Barber?!? C'mon guy you're reaching
You're a legitimately crazy person.

The only point here is this: KO has recruited 3 5-star talents in the last two years. There are no caveats, no exemptions and no "yes, buts..." to diminish that fact.

circumstances had to arise first for these players to even consider transferring
Circumstances have to arise for kids to consider college.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Transfers are like expired real estate listings. Things didn't work out, & everyone needs a new fresh start. There's big competiton & big reward if you can strike early in the process of transition.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
You're a legitimately crazy person.
Circumstances have to arise for kids to consider college.
Lol, what does that even mean? What, they have to be born? Have to graduate high school? Where are you going with that comment?!?
.....and I'm the crazy one lmao.....look in the mirror pal
The only point here is this: KO has recruited 3 5-star talents in the last two years. There are no caveats, no exemptions and no "yes, buts..." to diminish that fact
For one of those recruits, UConn was their second choice, and chose to go to another school..... Lucky for us, Gottfried can't keep his players happy, that's my point...

Reaction Score
For one of those recruits, UConn was their second choice, and chose to go to another school..... Lucky for us, Gottfried can't keep his players happy, that's my point...

You don't want to play that game. Ben Gordon's first choice was duke. Charlie V...didnt he commit to Kansas first? Ryan Boatright, go recruited over at WVU. Kemba Walker...I think he was plan B before plan A committed to Arizona then went to Europe. I could go on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom