borges. Is UConn trying to build a recruiting pipeline through Vermont? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

borges. Is UConn trying to build a recruiting pipeline through Vermont?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
You don't want to play that game. Ben Gordon's first choice was duke. Charlie V...didnt he commit to Kansas first? Ryan Boatright, go recruited over at WVU. Kemba Walker...I think he was plan B before plan A committed to Arizona then went to Europe. I could go on...
Oh.....so they were all enrolled/taking classes at schools other than UConn? Wow, I did not know that.... what game were you referring to?

Last edited:

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Every year it seems like Michigan St. is on the way to the Final Four. Everyone says that Izzo is a genius. Every year, half of his team comes from Lansing, Michigan. Seems that Izzo has done alright for himself recruiting locally. So, I don't get this prejudice against local kids.
If we can land the two best kids every year within our local area (NY to Boston), we will always be very good.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
During the Dukes game, they mentioned that Duke has a transfer, Sean Obi, coming in from Rice. The kid attended Fairfield Prep. Was he highly regarded out of high school? He's 6' 9" and 265 and averaged 11.4 pts and 9.3 rebounds per game as a freshman at Rice. Those are nasty numbers. We could've desparately needed a guy like that. Instead he goes to Duke with their bench of McDonald's All-America's. Plumlee was a McDonald's All-America and gets garbage time. I'll never understand why recruits would go to a school and ride the bench for four years when they could go somewhere else and be the man. They have Chase Jeter coming in next year too.

caw

Reaction Score
During the Dukes game, they mentioned that Duke has a transfer, Sean Obi, coming in from Rice. The kid attended Fairfield Prep. Was he highly regarded out of high school? He's 6' 9" and 265 and averaged 11.4 pts and 9.3 rebounds per game as a freshman at Rice. Those are nasty numbers. We could've desparately needed a guy like that. Instead he goes to Duke with their bench of McDonald's All-America's. Plumlee was a McDonald's All-America and gets garbage time. I'll never understand why recruits would go to a school and ride the bench for four years when they could go somewhere else and be the man. They have Chase Jeter coming in next year too.

Education was obviously high on Obis list of requirements. Not that UConn is bad, but it's not Rice or Duke.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
What does all this crap have to do with a Vermont pipeline?
nothing, samm want's everyone to know that he's not happy with getting purvis like everyone else because he was a transfer... it doesn't count as putting in work bc he committed to somewhere else first and has improved 10000x more here than at NC state

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
if we get brown all we need is a big... and maybe a wing

Reaction Score
Greens Farms not Fairfield Prep, and when a kid goes to Rice, and then has Duke, Vanderbilt, and Northwestern on his list of schools to transfer to, it's obvious he's not coming here.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
nothing, samm want's everyone to know that he's not happy with getting purvis like everyone else because he was a transfer... it doesn't count as putting in work bc he committed to somewhere else first and has improved 10000x more here than at NC state

I'm not happy??? Good one "swag" ....check my original post:
I'm on your side matrim, but let's be honest, Purvis was a transfer. Out of high school he chose NC State, not us. If things had worked out well in Raleigh, he would have never became a Husky.
It's a little misleading to claim we won a recruiting battle for purvis, like we did with DHam.... That's all
What is so "crazy" about that point of view? God forbid I have an opinion and defend it.
The mob mentality on this board is hilarious. Ya'll can go back to your circle jerk now...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm not happy??? Good one "swag" ....check my original post:

It's a little misleading to claim we won a recruiting battle for purvis, like we did with DHam.... That's all
What is so "crazy" about that point of view? God forbid I have an opinion and defend it.
The mob mentality on this board is hilarious. Ya'll can go back to your circle jerk now...

You're totally right dude. Purvis just fell into our laps. It would've taken an imbecile at HC not to land him...

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Wasn't Uconn Purvis' first choice until we got the post season ban? I could be totally wrong but I thought i remember hearing that.
Do you just make this stuff up? You do realize he went to Upper Room Christian Academy in Raleigh NC. He went to State cause it was his hometown team, and he wanted stay close to home (& his ma).... But if he chose State over UConn due to our ban, I'd love to see an article stating that position.
He decided to transfer because he originally had the idea he wanted to be a PG, and Gottfried couldn't give him minutes at the 1 due to the emergence of Cat Barber.

Reaction Score
sammydabiz said:
Do you just make this stuff up? You do realize he went to Upper Room Christian Academy in Raleigh NC. He went to State cause it was his hometown team, and he wanted stay close to home (& his ma).... But if he chose State over UConn due to our ban, I'd love to see an article stating that position. He decided to transfer because he originally had the idea he wanted to be a PG, and Gottfried couldn't give him minutes at the 1 due to the emergence of Cat Barber.

You need to relax

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
You're totally right dude. Purvis just fell into our laps. It would've taken an imbecile at HC not to land him...
He wouldn't have had a chance to fall anywhere, if things went his way at NC State. But go and put words in my mouth, that's what you're best at

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He wouldn't have had a chance to fall anywhere, if things went his way at NC State. But go and put words in my mouth, that's what your best at

Bottom line, once players transfer, it's a friggin' free-for-all. Jeff Goodman or whoever's the CBB journalist du jour is always listing that "so and so has hard from x amount of schools since announcing his decision to transfer from school y". There's competition there. Whether it's comparable to the level of competition for HS recruits I can't say. But it's not wise to completely discount it.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Bottom line, once players transfer, it's a friggin' free-for-all. Jeff Goodman or whoever's the CBB journalist du jour is always listing that "so and so has hard from x amount of schools since announcing his decision to transfer from school y". There's competition there. Whether it's comparable to the level of competition for HS recruits I can't say. But it's not wise to completely discount it.
Never discounted it dude.... Just thought it was little misleading putting the recruitment of Purvis and DHam in the same boat, since we had originally struck out with Purvis on the first go around. Nothing more, nothing less

Reaction Score
The other important consideration is that when you get a guy like Purvis - a top 15 recruit with three years left - it means you have a pretty significant roadblock to recruiting high school kids at his position.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
it's a good sign the coaching staff thinks so highly of uconn and the coaching staff... should help out tremendously, let's see if brown reclassifies

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
it's a good sign the coaching staff thinks so highly of uconn and the coaching staff... should help out tremendously, let's see if brown reclassifies
I'm really confused by this statement.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm really confused by this statement.

It'll be interesting to see if UConn and Vermont Academy can establish a recruiting relationship. Popp was recruited as a player by Glen Miller when Miller coached at Brown, and he has known Miller and Karl Hobbs for several years and got to know Ollie out on the recruiting trails while he was an assistant at Holy Cross and thinks "very highly" of the Huskies' head coach.

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2015/03/is-uconn-trying-to-build-recruiting.html?m=1

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It'll be interesting to see if UConn and Vermont Academy can establish a recruiting relationship. Popp was recruited as a player by Glen Miller when Miller coached at Brown, and he has known Miller and Karl Hobbs for several years and got to know Ollie out on the recruiting trails while he was an assistant at Holy Cross and thinks "very highly" of the Huskies' head coach.

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2015/03/is-uconn-trying-to-build-recruiting.html?m=1
Exactly. This is the million dollar question. Can this coaching staff make connections with pipelines of good players?

The argument has been to get in a good recruiter as part of the coaching staff. My argument has been who is better than KO when it comes to talking with people? I really doubt there is anyone better. At least not many. The assumption is that KO can not convince recruits to come here because he lacks the ability to sell himself and the program. I maintain that he can but he has not had the time to establish relationships.

The point you are making is a point I expressed earlier in this thread. A coach from a national powerhouse has expressed a relationship with KO and UConn. In the past how many posters would talk about recruiting being dead in NJ because the coaches of major programs in that state hated JC. And that was a pipeline with a lot of star players.

Maybe Popp is just saying what reporters want to hear. Or maybe there is a real connection. We'll know about it soon.

The pragmatic part of me recognizes the need to establish relationships with AAU coaches. The cynical part of me wonders how much of that network remains on the up and up. The last thing I want KO to do is play the sleaze game either directly or indirectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom