borges. Is UConn trying to build a recruiting pipeline through Vermont? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

borges. Is UConn trying to build a recruiting pipeline through Vermont?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wish list:
1. Diamond Stone
2. Bruce Brown, moves to 2015
3. Grad transfer if no Stone
4. grab Jones early
5. Take VJ King hostage until he commits to UConn

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
And Jones, from the video, looks strong, ripped and quite athletic
Honestly I did not watch the video. It was only a comment on Adrien's height. You could be 6'-11" or 7'-0" and not know a rebound if it hits you in the hands. UConn fans have undisputable first hand visual knowledge.

Originally, I did not like Adrien, but from his first game, it was absolutely apparent that Adrien had instinct, a nose for the ball, and the potential for a body to back it up. The rest of his game needed a lot of work, which I was happy he did.

Reaction Score
Seriously? You used my quote in your reply, do you see anywhere where i said I hated anyone? I said not impressed and that if he improved and is really a rebounding force than I'm all in.

Yes I was not impressed with Enoch last year. As a matter of fact no one was until he blew up out on the West Coast in a camp and really played to his potential. If that has happened to Jones than once again I am all in.
Sorry, hate was too strong, but Jones was a better player than Enoch before last spring/summer. Like you i'm all in if they choose national flag blue. The upside with Jones is he has a couple years to grow and improve before he would get here.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I remember there was a similar argument last year about Bonzie Colson being undersized for a power forward. I don't think Notre Dame really minds, and I'm sure Kevin Ollie would have loved using Colson at the 4 this year.
Solid point, I'm a Bonzie fan. But Colson's handle was reputably a bit tighter than Jones and he has a 6'11 wingspan, longer than Jones'. That being said, I would absolutely take Jones if he committed today. He's a 4 year guy and would definitely bring a high motor and lots of rebounding which we've lacked from our bigs in recent years.

Reaction Score
Wish list:
1. Diamond Stone
2. Bruce Brown, moves to 2015
3. Grad transfer if no Stone
4. grab Jones early
5. Take VJ King hostage until he commits to UConn
FWIW, we're apparently much stronger on Kegler than King. And I'm fine with that, since Kegler looks more like a guy who'll stick around for 3 years while King looks very much like a one-and-done.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We are only going to get regional kids. VJ King and high 5 star talent won't come to a school in a mid-major conference.

So this "developing" Vermont Academy pipeline is a fantastic idea. We need their maple syrup and basketball talent.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Like Daniel Hamilton and Rodney Purvis - top 25 kids who grew up in the shadow of Gampel and were ours from birth.
Have you watched the NCAA Tournament this year? We're being relegated to a mid-major.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Major point is Brewster is getting lot of good kids to play for them. Establishing them as a source for future recruits is valuable.

I think KO and company have begun to work certain places to establish recruiting relationships. I don't know if the wait and see point of view will bite us in the butt, but I think recruiting will work out just fine in the near future.

Reaction Score
CTBasketball said:
Have you watched the NCAA Tournament this year? We're being relegated to a mid-major.

You really missed the point he was making. We all know our conference situation, but so did RP and DH and they still came here

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
You really missed the point he was making. We all know our conference situation, but so did RP and DH and they still came here
The AAC was considered the best conference outside of the AAC up until this year. They committed when Louisville was here and the league was doing good. Even though they knew UL was leaving, the appearance of the league was better. Now we get 1-2 bids per year.

Reaction Score
The AAC was considered the best conference outside of the AAC up until this year. They committed when Louisville was here and the league was doing good. Even though they knew UL was leaving, the appearance of the league was better. Now we get 1-2 bids per year.

Huh?

Reaction Score
CTBasketball said:

What?!?!?! Check your sources and then find some new ones

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
UConn was on either ESPN or CBSSPORTS every single game... if it stays the same(hoping more on espn) they're still going to get the same exposure...This isn't the days of the 90's and earlier where it was just the major conferences, mid majors are getting talked about a lot and are getting a lot of exposure... just need to close it out with these kids

Reaction Score

Give me a break. The league has been around for 2 years. Last year, we got four bids, this year two. Each year there were some questionable omissions. The league has had the defending national champion in each of its two years of existence. UConn, SMU, Memphis, Cincinnati, and Temple should perennially be in NCAA discussions. And Tulsa, who was good this year, has every player returning next year and will have eight seniors on their team next year.

This was a down year for the league. But to act like this league is no better than some of the dregs of D1 is disingenuous. We got one fewer bid than the Pac 12. The bottom half of the AAC needs to step it up, but the top of the league has some good programs that should be competitive for years. Would we prefer to be in a P5 conference? Of course. But UConn is a national brand, and this conference isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Give me a break. The league has been around for 2 years. Last year, we got four bids, this year two. Each year there were some questionable omissions. The league has had the defending national champion in each of its two years of existence. UConn, SMU, Memphis, Cincinnati, and Temple should perennially be in NCAA discussions. And Tulsa, who was good this year, has every player returning next year and will have eight seniors on their team next year.

This was a down year for the league. But to act like this league is no better than some of the dregs of D1 is disingenuous. We got one fewer bid than the Pac 12. The bottom half of the AAC needs to step it up, but the top of the league has some good programs that should be competitive for years. Would we prefer to be in a P5 conference? Of course. But UConn is a national brand, and this conference isn't as bad as some make it out to be.
you take kentucky out of the SEC and I'd say the AAC is better than the SEC... the teams you mentioned had a down year but i believe that's a fluke... i like tulsas guards and i think they'll be good next year

Reaction Score
Yes anyone who thinks HT would have been a much been pro with on more college season is crazy.
If you saw him last year, he was a 15 year old Soph. Now 16 years old, next year 17 on the way to 18.

For PFs, especially undersized as he is, this makes all the world of difference. 15-18? Boys' bodies to men's bodies.

Hopefully he can skip 17 and go right to 18. :rolleyes:

Rebounding is really what we need. Especially offensive rebounding. How many second chance points did we score this season. We might have been last in the nation.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Like Daniel Hamilton and Rodney Purvis - top 25 kids who grew up in the shadow of Gampel and were ours from birth.
I'm on your side matrim, but let's be honest, Purvis was a transfer...... Out of high school he chose NC State, not us. If things had worked out well in Raleigh, he would have never became a Husky.

Reaction Score
I'm on your side matrim, but let's be honest, Purvis was a transfer. Out of high school he chose NC State, not us. If things had worked out well in Raleigh, he would have never became a Husky.

Goodman's yearly transfer list exceedes like over 300 players, getting transfers is another element to recruiting. Iowa St wouldn't be where they are today as a program without mixing in transfers with recruits out of high school. I don't see the point of making a distinction b/w a transfer and a HS recruit.

Reaction Score
I'm on your side matrim, but let's be honest, Purvis was a transfer. Out of high school he chose NC State, not us. If things had worked out well in Raleigh, he would have never became a Husky.

That's true, but that doesn't change the fact that Purvis decided to come to UConn despite having no ties to the area.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Goodman's yearly transfer list exceedes like over 300 players, getting transfers is another element to recruiting. Iowa St wouldn't be where they are today as a program without mixing in transfers with recruits out of high school. I don't see the point of making a distinction b/w a transfer and a HS recruit.
Because there's a difference... If you wanna compare our program to Iowa St, so be it..... Last I checked, they don't have any championship banners hanging from the rafters either. Personally, I'd like to think our peers are more of the Duke NC KU UofA variety, but that's just me. Maybe our peer is Iowa St now, but I refuse to believe that.
I'm not knockin the ability to get Purvis on campus, but we still couldn't pull him outta high school (we ended up being his 2nd option like so many recruiting fails this season) and to go and lump him with DHam isn't "entirely" true..... that's all I'm trying to say.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
That's true, but that doesn't change the fact that Purvis decided to come to UConn despite having no ties to the area.
That's true Bruce, that was such a weird movie by the way ;)

Reaction Score
Because there's a difference... If you wanna compare our program to Iowa St, so be it..... Last I checked, they don't have any championship banners hanging from the rafters either. Personally, I'd like to think our peers are more of the Duke NC KU UofA variety, but that's just me. Maybe our peer is Iowa St now, but I refuse to believe that.
I'm not knockin the ability to get Purvis on campus, but we still couldn't pull him outta high school (we ended up being his 2nd option like so many recruiting fails this season) and to go and lump him with DHam isn't "entirely" true..... that's all I'm trying to say.

Not for nothing, but Iowa State has won the last two Big 12 championships. That's not a program I'd mind being compared to. They don't have our history, but they're definitely on the rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom