Boogie Fland: Been hearing that there has been some Uconn buzz of late | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Boogie Fland: Been hearing that there has been some Uconn buzz of late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hearing Alabama is starting to be a name rising to top of his list
I can kind of understand it. You can get away with murder there. What I wouldn't get is why he would want to join the Lexington Losers.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I can kind of understand it. You can get away with murder there. What I wouldn't get is why he would want to join the Lexington Losers.

Because becoming an on-campus god, getting all kinds of money from all kinds of places while also having the media fluff the crap out of you is appealing?

Reaction Score
Because becoming an on-campus god, getting all kinds of money from all kinds of places while also having the media fluff the crap out of you is appealing?
People don't realize how much their football success has impacted the way they're seen in all sports. Boys with Boston accents and no sports prospects from Everett wanted to go to Alabama because of the football. It wouldn't surprise me that it would trickle over to basketball.

Also, there's some sweet sweet NIL.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's a football school. Besides, you can get that at a school where the coach is still paying attention.

Reaction Score
Been hearing that there has been some Uconn buzz of late, can anyone confirm? Would love to have Boog be a husky!
Boogie visited UConn, but St John offered, it’s close to home and with Pitino going there, I think that’s where he’ll end up

Reaction Score
the sorority crew at Alabama is always a treasure "chest"

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Idk, look at the star players on half of the teams in the NBA. Might get an idea.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Idk, look at the star players on half of the teams in the NBA. Might get an idea.
For the last 3 years they lose early and everybody points fingers. Who needs it?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
For the last 3 years they lose early and everybody points fingers. Who needs it?
If they keep making NBA stars it won’t matter. Guys want to have long careers more than win games in college.

I can’t remember the last time they didn’t have a first round pick.

Reaction Score
If they keep making NBA stars it won’t matter. Guys want to have long careers more than win games in college.

I can’t remember the last time they didn’t have a first round pick.

If you had to pick an NBA star from Kentucky that wouldn’t have been an NBA star if they had played at Dartmouth for a year instead who would you pick? I can’t think of any. Cal’s babysitting kids who can’t go straight to the league.

These kids go to Kentucky because they make bank, they live like kings, they get a ton of media exposure, and Drake comes to practice.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If you had to pick an NBA star from Kentucky that wouldn’t have been an NBA star if they had played at Dartmouth for a year instead who would you pick? I can’t think of any. Cal’s babysitting kids who can’t go straight to the league.

These kids go to Kentucky because they make bank, they live like kings, they get a ton of media exposure, and Drake comes to practice.
If it was like that then programs like Duke, UNC, and KU players would perform the same. Kentucky is just on another level.

Players like Bam, Booker (6th man), and Shai weren’t surefire NBA stars by any means. We can only really say that about the John Wall’s and Anthony Davis’s of the world but when guys like Tyler Herro, Quickley, and Maxey are finding success then it’s an obvious trend of the program that they just know how to prepare guys for the league.

Really check and see just how many Kentucky players play big roles for their team on almost every one. It’d probably shock you.

Meanwhile the 5*s from the 2019 and 2020 UNC classes are STILL there not even making the tournament… it’s not that easy.

Reaction Score
It wouldn’t surprise me to see Drake repping UConn gear as we continue our ascension back to the top of the college basketball world. He’s a tool.

Reaction Score
If it was like that then programs like Duke, UNC, and KU players would perform the same. Kentucky is just on another level.

Players like Bam, Booker (6th man), and Shai weren’t surefire NBA stars by any means. We can only really say that about the John Wall’s and Anthony Davis’s of the world but when guys like Tyler Herro, Quickley, and Maxey are finding success then it’s an obvious trend of the program that they just know how to prepare guys for the league.

Really check and see just how many Kentucky players play big roles for their team on almost every one. It’d probably shock you.

Meanwhile the 5*s from the 2019 and 2020 UNC classes are STILL there not even making the tournament… it’s not that easy.
You are right about Kentucky players overachieving or at least not underachieving in the nba. But does 8 months at Kentucky really play a big part in their development? I’m not sure. Playing under that pressure and spotlight as well as being a top target for every opponent probably does help. Is the skill development work and strength and conditioning at a different level than other division 1 programs? I don’t know but I doubt it.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You are right about Kentucky players overachieving or at least not underachieving in the nba. But does 8 months at Kentucky really play a big part in their development? I’m not sure. Playing under that pressure and spotlight as well as being a top target for every opponent probably does help. Is the skill development work and strength and conditioning at a different level than other division 1 programs? I don’t know but I doubt it.
As much as I hate to say it, Cal just knows how to develop guys for the league. I doubted it at first too and was right there with you guys but after a decade+ of success it’s just fan hate to deny it. He knows something.

Getting a bag and living like a king while not having to go to classes is still a thing, but knowing you’re getting the best coaching possible for the NBA is a thing too when you look at the results. 4 NBA All Stars this year, only other school with more than 1 was Duke this year who had 2. Players are idiots for still ruining their careers at UNC though.

pj

Reaction Score

Calipari recruited players based on NBA potential, not size of their college contributions. Other coaches weighed college contributions more, and were OK with having a great college player for four years who was of little interest to the NBA. Calipari sought guys who might be good but immature in college for one year and then go to the NBA, drafted on potential; then he used draft success of his players as a pitch for the next recruit.

Calipari has a good eye for talent, that's for sure, but whether he's a good developer of talent is open to question. He seems to be an average developer, based on an analysis I did a few years ago. Not bad, but not like Jim Calhoun in frequently lifting players above their high school recruiting rankings. For every Devin Booker who overperformed, there was a highly touted recruit who underperformed, and vice versa.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Calipari recruited players based on NBA potential, not size of their college contributions. Other coaches weighed college contributions more, and were OK with having a great college player for four years who was of little interest to the NBA. Calipari sought guys who might be good but immature in college for one year and then go to the NBA, drafted on potential; then he used draft success of his players as a pitch for the next recruit.

Calipari has a good eye for talent, that's for sure, but whether he's a good developer of talent is open to question. He seems to be an average developer, based on an analysis I did a few years ago. Not bad, but not like Jim Calhoun in frequently lifting players above their high school recruiting rankings. For every Devin Booker who overperformed, there was a highly touted recruit who underperformed, and vice versa.
Do you have the analysis anywhere? Would be an interesting read.

I’m not sure how many other coaches would develop talent better than Cal. Jim was just on another level with it. You give him a 4* guy and he can turn him into a top 5 pick. 5* were GUARANTEED to be a lottery pick. There was no wasted talent under him. Legitimately one of the best developer of talents of all time.

Coach K didn’t even start finding more consistent NBA success until he started going down the one and done route.

Reaction Score
Cal recruits guys that really don’t need much or any development. I can’t believe anyone has actually been fooled into thinking he knows something.

He was a good coach at UMass. He motivated his guys. I actually think he caught lightning in a bottle there when he landed Camby and his guards turned out to have balls of steel. He capitalized and left real quick. Ever since, it’s been a marketing job rather than a basketball one.

Reaction Score
Cal was a head of his time and with friends like World Wide Wes and Nike, he was able to pay kids serious money before any other program. It seemed that the endless bags of cash ended a few years back and NIL has leveled the playing field even further. There are plenty of guys better at developing kids than the Squid. What made Cal unique ended years ago.

Reaction Score
As much as I hate to say it, Cal just knows how to develop guys for the league. I doubted it at first too and was right there with you guys but after a decade+ of success it’s just fan hate to deny it. He knows something.

Getting a bag and living like a king while not having to go to classes is still a thing, but knowing you’re getting the best coaching possible for the NBA is a thing too when you look at the results. 4 NBA All Stars this year, only other school with more than 1 was Duke this year who had 2. Players are idiots for still ruining their careers at UNC though.
When you have the highest number of one and done recruits you send as many prospects to the nba each year as most teams do in 3 years. Does he deserve credit, yes but judging the all stars that went to kentucky does not draw a straight line to him being better at developing talent than many other quality coaches.

Reaction Score
Pitino is going to get some of these NY area kids to stay home. No doubt about it.

If that Billionaire booster is for real, he should be backing up the truck for Fland. The Pitino hire and landing Fland would do wonders to give them some momentum. It'll be interesting to see how this goes because St. John's is still going to be at a HUGE facilities disadvantage to basically everyone they're recruiting against.

Reaction Score
I don’t think playing with kids who were getting guns from all kinds of places would be a big draw for any recruit or the people advising him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom