Boogie Fland: Been hearing that there has been some Uconn buzz of late | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Boogie Fland: Been hearing that there has been some Uconn buzz of late

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Big Stepinac-Cardinal Hayes game today. University of Southern Canada was three deep to see Fland (and their signee Elijah Moore). Anyone know if UConn staff members were in attendance?

Reaction Score
Totally random thought just popped up:

Imagine a 2024-2024 starting lineup of: Fland, Ball, Castle, Karaban, Clingan.

4.5 Funny Wayne's World schwing Vinyl - Etsy

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Did you mean 2023-2024 or 2024-2025??

Reaction Score
As much as I’d love this in theory, I also worry that it meant something went horribly wrong with Castles season & arguably Clingans
I just don't see Clingan leaving after this year, I think it is more likely he is a 4-year guy for a couple reasons. As he currently plays, he doesn't have a role in the NBA he is a smaller version of Edey who is having a NPOY season and is still projected to be a 2nd round guy and reason two he stayed 4 years at Bristol-Central being close to family is obviously important to him he will have a lot of local NIL deals available to him as he morphs into the leader of this team. I don't see him leaving that for a 2nd round grade and bouncing around in the G league. All this changes if he improves as a shooter which his form suggests he can but I think he is a here a minimum of 2 more years.

Reaction Score
As much as I’d love this in theory, I also worry that it meant something went horribly wrong with Castles season & arguably Clingans
Based on other Jr & Sr 7 footers and bigs playing this year and Clingan’s makeup I figure he’s here at least 3 years. As for Castle, he may have a great season and may decide on one more that could be due to multiple reasons-mostly good.

Reaction Score
Based on other Jr & Sr 7 footers and bigs playing this year and Clingan’s makeup I figure he’s here at least 3 years. As for Castle, he may have a great season and may decide on one more that could be due to multiple reasons-mostly good.
I'll gladly take a great year from Castle and him being a one-and-done. That means Uconn will have taken the next step in building it's NBA pipeline reputation.

Reaction Score
I'll gladly take a great year from Castle and him being a one-and-done. That means Uconn will have taken the next step in building it's NBA pipeline reputation.
It will ultimately come down to how high in the draft he is expected to go. Same for Hawkins-maybe higher teens unless he carries us far this year.

Reaction Score
I just don't see Clingan leaving after this year, I think it is more likely he is a 4-year guy for a couple reasons. As he currently plays, he doesn't have a role in the NBA he is a smaller version of Edey who is having a NPOY season and is still projected to be a 2nd round guy and reason two he stayed 4 years at Bristol-Central being close to family is obviously important to him he will have a lot of local NIL deals available to him as he morphs into the leader of this team. I don't see him leaving that for a 2nd round grade and bouncing around in the G league. All this changes if he improves as a shooter which his form suggests he can but I think he is a here a minimum of 2 more years.
I hear you but we just don't know. Walker Kessler was drafted first round after 2 seasons in college and he is having an awesome rookie season. He doesn't really have any offense, doesn't shoot threes, and isn't good at the ft line. He protects the rim, finishes, and rebounds. Clingan is bigger than him.

There's Ivica Zubac, Mitchell Robinson and others.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing you didn't read any of the articles with quotes from NBA scouts. I'll dig them up if you want me to.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I know lots of people think this way. But other than maybe getting us into a tournament, I don’t see how a one year player helps a program to be its best if all it does is make us Kentucky lite and basically an NBA feeding ground. Carmelo types are rare as far as getting his team to win an NC and Syracuse never won another. Definitely financially great for the player even if they bust at the pro level. For example: If Hawkins leaves after this year along with Sanogo, doesn’t that mean UConn probably will not be as strong as it could have been next year even if Castle somehow is the second coming of Kobe? And we get more BY whining that Hurley can’t get past the round of 32.

Reaction Score
I know lots of people think this way. But other than maybe getting us into a tournament, I don’t see how a one year player helps a program to be its best if all it does is make us Kentucky lite and basically an NBA feeding ground. Carmelo types are rare as far as getting his team to win an NC and Syracuse never won another. Definitely financially great for the player even if they bust at the pro level. For example: If Hawkins leaves after this year along with Sanogo, doesn’t that mean UConn probably will not be as strong as it could have been next year even if Castle somehow is the second coming of Kobe? And we get more BY whining that Hurley can’t get past the round of 32.
Do you think Castle would have helped this year if he came here early and played well enough to be 1 & done?

Reaction Score
Hawk needs to stay IMO. It would help him really be ready for the big step to the pro level. So much up there is also the physical aspect.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I have heard very little about Boogie to UConn, but who knows. UK Bama and Cuse are all contenders.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hawk needs to stay IMO. It would help him really be ready for the big step to the pro level. So much up there is also the physical aspect.
I agree. These kids have a lot swirling around them. I’m old and still,don’t know which end is up

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Do you think Castle would have helped this year if he came here early and played well and enough to be 1 & done?
No clue. The unknowable is beyond my comprehension. Got interrupted. It assumes that he is so good as a freshman that he puts a grad student experienced player like Newton on the bench most of the time. He wouldn’t eat Hawkins time and is not a Jackson type, our most hard to figure player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have heard very little about Boogie to UConn, but who knows. UK Bama and Cuse are all contenders.
Agree. I haven’t seen anywhere that someone from the UConn staff was at the Stepinac-Cardinal Hayes game on Sunday. I hope I’m wrong.

Reaction Score
I know Castle has been working this kid hard. But his list of offers is insane. Would be an embarrassment of riches if we got commits from Castle and Fland in back to back years and quite frankly I am here for it.
You mean like Kentucky, Kansas and Duke get every year? We deserve nice things too! :)

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Agree. I haven’t seen anywhere that someone from the UConn staff was at the Stepinac-Cardinal Hayes game on Sunday. I hope I’m wrong.
You can’t go watch high school basketball games when you’re busy in the tournament. A lot of these schools recruiting hard right now are done playing.

Reaction Score
You can’t go watch high school basketball games when you’re busy in the tournament. A lot of these schools recruiting hard right now are done playing.
Busy in the tournament? Wrong. The game took place on Sunday many hours prior to the selection show. In White Plains. Not Osh Kosh. This staff has proven over and over that they are always on and relentless on the recruiting front. We have a staff of four. If we’re still recruiting Fland, I assume the primary recruiter on staff would have been there.

Reaction Score
Minimum 3 and possibly 4 depending on many circumstances.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Busy in the tournament? Wrong. The game took place on Sunday many hours prior to the selection show. In White Plains. Not Osh Kosh. This staff has proven over and over that they are always on and relentless on the recruiting front. We have a staff of four. If we’re still recruiting Fland, I assume the primary recruiter on staff would have been there.
You know, I think they might’ve been a little busy with something on selection Sunday? Just a hunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom