Boogie Fland: Been hearing that there has been some Uconn buzz of late | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Boogie Fland: Been hearing that there has been some Uconn buzz of late

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pitino can bring it, I have to assume that 17 year old kids can detect a difference in the passion fight and fire a coach of hurleys age can bring compared to Pitino these days.
Pitino isn't some tired and haggard old coach from a different generation where the game passed him by. Kids are going to want to play for him. He's going to crush it and it's a great thing for St. John's, UConn, Big East, College basketball.

Our recruiting will remain awesome, St. John's will get way better than what it was.

Reaction Score
I'll add that maybe NYC could be tougher going forward, but New England is basically uncontested now. Not that Cooley was out recruiting UConn but he was going after and getting some guys like Mulready most recently.

Plus Hurley has been more NJ leaning than NYC in his time here (Sanogo, Cole Samson, Gaffney v. Bouk and Richie). Given his history in that state he should still get the guys he wants.

The league being more competitive should be beneficial as others have said to improve everyone's profile and reduce margin of error for making tourney and help with metrics to ensure OOC schedule is less important and seeding is improved.
Pretty spot on!! Lots of Prep Schools in NE, DH is more NJ oriented and we are now going national much like JC. We be good!!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Did Boogie Fland commit to St John’s or did I miss something? Hold off on the victory lap lol
Are we really gonna act like we don’t know where this is going? We can both play stupid if it makes you more comfortable.

Reaction Score
You think fland to St. John’s is a done deal?
I’m thinking Fland has many options on the table. He may want out of the City but St Johns is certainly a possibility $$

Reaction Score
We need to get recruits on campus but fortunately our coaches are quite busy with other things recently.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You think fland to St. John’s is a done deal?
Obviously nothing is a done deal until the kid publicly commits, but I’m not holding my breath when competing with a billionaire and his HOF HC. Especially when the first move they make is to tell the kid he’s a major priority. There’s a reason why we don’t recruit top 20 kids.

Reaction Score
Are we really gonna act like we don’t know where this is going? We can both play stupid if it makes you more comfortable.
Playing stupid? You’re jumping all the way out the window because St John’s said they made him a priority. He has amazing options outside of St John’s. What was Pitino supposed to tell him? Slow down. Btw I’m very comfortable not landing fland. I have ZERO worries when it comes to Hurley and recruiting

Reaction Score
Pitino will need to be an incredible salesman to get top-20 recruits to go to St John's - no matter where they live. Bad facilities, not great campus, no other athletic programs worthy of mention, etc. If I'm 18 or 19 years old and a top-20 recruit, am I going to St. John's to play for a 72+ year old coach? The only thing that would be a differentiator is NIL money - and it'd have to be "x" more than what's offered elsewhere to overcome the previously mentioned deficiencies. If they snag one or two with NIL, my bet is that they over pay for an underwhelming recruit. Seems like a lot of negatives to overcome. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Obviously nothing is a done deal until the kid publicly commits, but I’m not holding my breath when competing with a billionaire and his HOF HC. Especially when the first move they make is to tell the kid he’s a major priority. There’s a reason why we don’t recruit top 20 kids.
I think you’re jumping the gun a bit. And I don’t think anyone said they wouldn’t get kids, the argument was just that we would be less effected than other big east programs.

Reaction Score
Not since Daniel Hamilton have we landed one, so not really. Castle was top 50-60 when he committed, which if we’re being honest is our sweet spot.
Isn’t Tyler Betsy top 20?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Playing stupid? You’re jumping all the way out the window because St John’s said they made him a priority. He has amazing options outside of St John’s. What was Pitino supposed to tell him? Slow down. Btw I’m very comfortable not landing fland. I have ZERO worries when it comes to Hurley and recruiting
I never said I had worries about our general recruiting. Pitino won’t affect us getting kids from Washington or Georgia, but he will be a wall to break through in the northeast with a billionaire at his back. Which will impact which northeast kids Hurley targets.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Isn’t Tyler Betsy top 20?
He’s actually not, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets there. Kids a stud. He’s in that Akok range right now. But we did also start recruiting him when he was in the lower half of the top 100.

Either way i really meant we don’t get commitments from the top 20 kids anymore. Maybe Betsey will change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom