Boneyard Airing of Grievances | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boneyard Airing of Grievances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cab's charging $1.00 extra as soon as the meter stops
Vitale's Voice
The Liquor Store not being open tomorrow when I get back to Connecticut
Bad Announcers at sporting events (Rashan?? Really??)
Vitale's Voice
The Profanity filter for not even allowing me to type in Mr. Vitale's first name correctly.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
4. Lack of Boneyard Bar in Boston
I've been going to Battery Park for at least 7 games. It's in the upper financial district where it starts to turn in to the Faneuil Hall area. For perspective, if Faneuil was in New Hampshire and State St was the border, the bar would be in Lowell. Just off Milk St, 3-4 blocks from State St, so very easy to get to. It gets fairly busy around typical weeknight game time, as many people who work in the area drink after work until 8-8:30. Definitely not "fratty" like many other places that have lots of tvs (looking at you, TITS). One of the bartenders now knows me and is very cool. They have a lot of tvs but don't attract the kind of people you'd find in Garden/North Station bars who really watch the games that are on, so they are always willing to put the game on at least one tv, even if it's against Stanford, even if it's on ESPNU, even if the Bruins/Celtics are also playing. Very decent prices for a city bar, and a decent selection too, as far as beer goes.

I'd say it's the best option for Boston proper. I've been outright denied at several bars. You don't want Garden/NStation area because they only want to watch pro sports, Beacon Hill and Back Bay bars have no tvs and tend to be expensive, Faneuil bars are overpriced and crowded, Seaport and South and North Ends are kind of out of the way and expensive, Fenway necessitates the use of Green (bleh), Chinatown duh, and none of the other Financial District bars I've tried match up. I have to say I have next to no experience with the BU campus or Southie though, so if someone here has found a good one there, please speak up.

Should we get a head count of who lives where so we could figure the most fair option for all of us?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
One of a million civil litigation attorneys.

Did you try a career change? Or just a different role?

Hope you land a new job shortly, TRest.

Reaction Score
I've been going to Battery Park for at least 7 games. It's in the upper financial district where it starts to turn in to the Faneuil Hall area. For perspective, if Faneuil was in New Hampshire and State St was the border, the bar would be in Lowell. Just off Milk St, 3-4 blocks from State St, so very easy to get to. It gets fairly busy around typical weeknight game time, as many people who work in the area drink after work until 8-8:30. Definitely not "fratty" like many other places that have lots of tvs (looking at you, TITS). One of the bartenders now knows me and is very cool. They have a lot of tvs but don't attract the kind of people you'd find in Garden/North Station bars who really watch the games that are on, so they are always willing to put the game on at least one tv, even if it's against Stanford, even if it's on ESPNU, even if the Bruins/Celtics are also playing. Very decent prices for a city bar, and a decent selection too, as far as beer goes.

I'd say it's the best option for Boston proper. I've been outright denied at several bars. You don't want Garden/NStation area because they only want to watch pro sports, Beacon Hill and Back Bay bars have no tvs and tend to be expensive, Faneuil bars are overpriced and crowded, Seaport and South and North Ends are kind of out of the way and expensive, Fenway necessitates the use of Green (bleh), Chinatown duh, and none of the other Financial District bars I've tried match up. I have to say I have next to no experience with the BU campus or Southie though, so if someone here has found a good one there, please speak up.

Should we get a head count of who lives where so we could figure the most fair option for all of us?

My buddy owns a bar called Porters near TD Garden. It really is more of a pro sports bar, but if i told him the Boston Yarders need a place to watch Uconn games, I am sure he'd make it happen. He's not a Husky, but he is a capitalist - and a really good guy

Reaction Score
These are all "first world" problems.

People who drive in the left lane of the Hwy at 55 MPH with ten cars stacked up behind them.
People that think it is ok to pick their teeth or clip their nails in public.
People that close talk.
People who duck* with my radio while I am driving.
People that to not pick up dog .
People that walk on the wrong side of the sidewalk and then expect you to get out of their way.
People that post PC threads on this board.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) Anyone with 990411 in their handle. One or two of them might be okay, but I can't keep them straight and the ones who suck really suck.

2) Acura for sending a letter advising me that the navigation system that they so highly praised last year is now dangerously out of date and I put my own life at hazard just turning it on. But, for a $149 fee, they will update the map and keep me from driving into the oceans and mountains that moved over the past 12 months.

3) The profanity filter. It misses the point by such a wide margin. Adsense knows this is a UConn sports site and they're not going to confuse it for a donkey p-orn forum if the word s e x is left unfiltered. The algorithms are so complex and so intelligent that the presence of the word p-orn is not going to make them thinBesides a little profanity skews us younger, more male and more valuable. Profanity = profit.

4) The Chinese guy from Star Trek. F---! Enough with 'n gifs! They're not that funny.

5) The concept of 'social'. That you can't simply try to store a photo album online without Google/Flickr/whoever trying to goad you into letting reprobates in Siberia have at 'em. Or that simply trying to look up a restaurant or a hardware store or a donkey p-orn site or buy a movie ticket is an invitation for Facebook or Google to try to get you to spam your friends.

6) And the following people can have a crappy Christmas - ESPN, the ACC, the Big 10, the Big East, John Swofford, the fat oaf at the NCAA whose name escapes me, the NSA, Mike Aresco, everyone in the AAC or who will ever be in the AAC, the guy who crashed into my mailbox, the geese that poop in my yard, people who don't learn the first time they're told and whoever killed the NASA space program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My buddy owns a bar called Porters near TD Garden. It really is more of a pro sports bar, but if i told him the Boston Yarders need a place to watch Uconn games, I am sure he'd make it happen. He's not a Husky, but he is a capitalist - and a really good guy

I recently bought a Groupon for Porters. Maybe I'll use it during a big game.

Though not necessarily a Boneyard gathering spot, the Cask and Flagon was heavily populated with UConn fans during the 2011 Elite 8 game against Arizona. There was an enormous collective sigh of relief, followed by jubilation, after that one.

Reaction Score
Porters is a great bar, really good food, projection screen and solid beers.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
These are all "first world" problems.

People who drive in the left lane of the Hwy at 55 MPH with ten cars stacked up behind them.
People that think it is ok to pick their teeth or clip their nails in public.
People that close talk.
People who f* with my radio while I am driving.
People that to not pick up dog .
People that walk on the wrong side of the sidewalk and then expect you to get out of their way.
People that post PC threads on this board.

No my pet issues while similar to yours have some differences. They are
People who drive 55 in the left lane while texting
Nose pickers are worse than nail clippers or teeth pickers and lets not get into bugger eaters
People who close talk with bad breath, or no teeth
Agreed on the radio but also include anything on my dashboard
People who pick up dog tie it up in a plastic bag and then throw it into the dunes on the beach
People that ride bikes on the wrong side of the street, on the sidewalk, in flip flops and no helmet while texting
People who post PC threads while biking on the wrong side of the street and eating buggers - you know who you are!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Liquor Store not being open tomorrow when I get back to Connecticut

You sure about this? CT blue laws have been repealed. I'm pretty sure Liquor stores are open on Christmas Eve.

As for grievances, they change from time to time. My current pet peeve is people who use vis a vie (regarding), i.e. (in other words), and e.g. (for example) either interchangeably, in the wrong context, or just flat out wrong.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
You sure about this? CT blue laws have been repealed. I'm pretty sure Liquor stores are open on Christmas Eve.

As for grievances, they change from time to time. My current pet peeve is people who use vis a vie (regarding), i.e. (in other words), and e.g. (for example) either interchangeably, in the wrong context, or just flat out wrong.

Well, I do believe that "i.e." stands for "that is" and "vis a vis" means "in relation to" or "regarding." It's not often high school Latin comes in handy. ;)

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Dogbreath2U said:
Well, I do believe that "i.e." stands for "that is" and "vis a vis" means "in relation to" or "regarding." It's not often high school Latin comes in handy.

I once won a trivia game in a bar because I knew the answer was "ante bellum" before the answers came up. 4 years of prep school Latin and that's my only use of it ever.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Did you try a career change? Or just a different role?

Hope you land a new job shortly, TRest.
Tried the other side of the aisle for a couple of years, after spending over a decade doing defense work. I'm now more versatile, which is one of the reasons I did it.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Tried the other side of the aisle for a couple of years, after spending over a decade doing defense work. I'm now more versatile, which is one of the reasons I did it.

Do you know how to sue Rivals.com really good? That might go over well in some circles.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, I do believe that "i.e." stands for "that is" and "vis a vis" means "in relation to" or "regarding." It's not often high school Latin comes in handy. ;)

Earlier this year I sat in a conference room with Air Force, Navy, Marine service members along with Brits, Canoodlers, Norwegians, Turks, Aussies, Italians, Dutch and Danes. The discussion at one point veered in to whether "i.e" or "e.g" was appropriate. It took about five seconds for the three US military branches to start checking their cell phones for voice mails because we were clearly out of our league. The rest of the world came to the correct conclusion after about five minutes. And I don't remember what was the correct answer.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
2012-12-21-ncaa-emerett--4_3.jpg

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
People who say "Happy Holidays" to be politically correct and because they lack the testiculos to say "Merry Christmas." Well, "Merry Christmas!!!". PC fans to come to the Boneyard to talk hoops. I'll never understand that. I prefer to stick with my own kind. Is it really that boring on their board? Oh, and lastly, Boneyarders who call each other bags or d-bags when they disagree with you or make a dumb comment. It seems to be on the same intellectual level as saying, "I know you are but what am I?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom